Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DeSean Jackson: I Felt Hurt, Disrespected By The Eagles & Gang Allegations
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
Link To The Entire Interview: ESPN Go

Quotables:
Chip Kelly Called Him And Told Him We're Moving Forward, Didn't Give Him A Reason Why

DeSean Asked Chip "Why?" Chip Said "We're Moving In A New Direction"

Loved The Philadelphia Fans And Playing For The Eagles. Felt Hurt & Confused Being Released After His Best Year At The Peak Of His Career

"Happy To Be Playing For Coach Gruden, Felt At Home Since Arriving In Washington"

"Was Honored To Play For Coach Reid, And Be On The Field With McNabb, Dawkins, and Westbrook"

"Excited To Still Be In The NFC East"

DeSean Jackson said in his first interview since being cut by the Eagles that he’s happy to be in Washington, disappointed by the way things ended in Philadelphia, and adamant that he is not in a gang.

Jackson told Stephen A. Smith on ESPN that he was stunned that the Eagles let him go after his Pro Bowl 2013 season.

“I was definitely hurt,” Jackson said. “It was a humbling experience. . . . But it’s a business. It’s the NFL.”

In Washington, Jackson said, he believes he can thrive.

“I’m feeling great about it,” Jackson said. “I’m very stoked.”

Asked about the NJ.com story saying Jackson had gang ties, Jackson said he was disappointed by the story.

“It was, from my point of view, very disrespectful,” Jackson said. “I don’t think it was right, straight up. The allegations, the things that were said in the article, were things from a long time ago that the club, the organization knew about.”

As he has before, Jackson insisted that he is not a member of a gang.

“Do I know friends that are out there, involved? Yes. I try to, you know, stay away from it,” Jackson said. “I’m definitely aware and know certain gang members, but as far as me being affiliated or me being a gang member? Never have I once been. Never had any affiliation of going out and doing things that are against the law. I always felt I’m a product of my environment, but at the same time I’m the guy who wants to go out there and do things the right way.”

Jackson said he thinks he’s been a good role model for children growing up in the same area of Southern California where he grew up.

“I’m trying to tell little kids to stay away from these things, not do drugs, not do violence, stay in school, listen to their parents, make it to college,” Jackson said.

Jackson seems hurt not just that he lost his job in Philadelphia, but that his reputation took a hit for reasons that he feels are unfair.
D Rock
If he thinks he was released because of the gang bizniz, he's lying to himself.

And HE felt disrespected? Pffft - Projection.
Flying Dutchman
What a pile of self-centered BS. He doesn't want to answer for his egocentric attitude so he plays the non-existing out card about some (elsewhere.....not Eagledom......gang connection!)
Eyrie
If we're meant to believe that the nj.com article was a pre-emptive smear by the Eagles then why should we treat a puff piece orchestrated by Jackson's media advisors seriously?

I'd love to know exactly why he's gone - poor attitude, gang ties, closet Cowboys fan or whatever - but what concerns me is two things. Firstly, why couldn't we get any trade compensation for him, and secondly how we will replace him in the offense. Bearing in mind that we didn't have Macklin last year, the roster spot has been filled but the question concerns his production.
Zero
DeSean Jackson’s release by the Eagles, speculation ran rampant as to the reasons why. Everything was to blame from Jackson’s petulant, rambunctious sideline behavior, to his alleged gang ties, to Jackson’s character, to this being Chip Kelly’s fault.

But what a number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way “a child would test boundaries,” and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games.

“You see little kids and how they cry and whine when they don’t get their way, that was D-Jax,” another source said. “I don’t think [Jackson] gave [Kelly] the respect he deserved. Kelly tried to reach [Jackson] plenty of times and [Jackson] tuned him out. Then you look at team functions, when everyone is out together at charity things or social stuff. He was the one missing. It was like he was in ‘D-Jax world’ and we just happened to be there."

Linc ...

But it was the Eagles' fault. laugh.gif So let's go get those nasty Eagles.
NFL Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith says his union will investigate whether the Eagles smeared DeSean Jackson before cutting him.

“We’ve been in touch with DeSean, and first and foremost he is a tremendous football player and great young man,” Smith said on Mike & Mike. “On the issue of how he was released, whether or not there were comments or leaks from the team, misinformation to the media coming from the team, that’s something that we’re going to look at. We’ve always been aggressive about protecting the integrity of our players.”
An udder Linc ...

But there are still those who stick to the "Eagles suck" mantra. People read the news and listen to the reports that fits their agenda. Nothing new there.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 5 2014, 05:31 AM) *
If we're meant to believe that the nj.com article was a pre-emptive smear by the Eagles then why should we treat a puff piece orchestrated by Jackson's media advisors seriously?

I'd love to know exactly why he's gone - poor attitude, gang ties, closet Cowboys fan or whatever - but what concerns me is two things. Firstly, why couldn't we get any trade compensation for him, and secondly how we will replace him in the offense. Bearing in mind that we didn't have Macklin last year, the roster spot has been filled but the question concerns his production.

The return of Maclin plus the signing of Sproles should adequately replace Jackson's production. The concern should be with Foles. If his production slips it will affect the offensive production. Given that this will be his first season as the FT starter, it is a legitimate concern.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 5 2014, 11:25 AM) *
The return of Maclin plus the signing of Sproles should adequately replace Jackson's production. The concern should be with Foles. If his production slips it will affect the offensive production. Given that this will be his first season as the FT starter, it is a legitimate concern.

whose first season as a full time starter?....Maclin has started all but 2 of the games he has played in and was the top WR for the last 5 games in 2012.....which included 2 100+yard games and a 22 yard game as well.

This offense plays to his strengths though....he can get deep nearly as well as jackson but he can run every route.....his knee is a real concern and how he comes back from it.......but if he is healthy I would wager he has an even bigger year than jackson. Full disclosure though that I have questioned his toughness in the past....his blocking has bothered me. That being said...he is playing for a payday....that is a bigger motivation in this league than getting released....
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 5 2014, 12:47 PM) *
whose first season as a full time starter?

I was referring to Foles. Last season's performance was a gift from the God's. If he really is that good, there shouldn't be any issues....regardless of who is throwing to.

No need to convince me about Maclin. I have always thought he was the more complete WR between him and DeSean.

....Maclin has started all but 2 of the games he has played in and was the top WR for the last 5 games in 2012.....which included 2 100+yard games and a 22 yard game as well.

This offense plays to his strengths though....he can get deep nearly as well as jackson but he can run every route.....his knee is a real concern and how he comes back from it.......but if he is healthy I would wager he has an even bigger year than jackson. Full disclosure though that I have questioned his toughness in the past....his blocking has bothered me. That being said...he is playing for a payday....that is a bigger motivation in this league than getting released....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.