Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A "Must Read" on the saga of MeSean!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Flying Dutchman
Posted this in a comment to another thread but I feel it really deserves it's own headlines. Sure explains a lot of things.

Sources: DeSean Jackson Was A Problem For Kelly, Eagles In Locker Room

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/04/0...1OAoVgk.twitter
D Rock
Just like I've beeb saying.

He was NOT released for the gang bizniz. That was well known all along. He was released because he was a dick and universally disliked throughout the organization and locker room. The on field production just wasn't enough to justify having to tolerate the person.

Phits
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 4 2014, 03:21 PM) *
Posted this in a comment to another thread but I feel it really deserves it's own headlines. Sure explains a lot of things.

Sources: DeSean Jackson Was A Problem For Kelly, Eagles In Locker Room

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/04/0...1OAoVgk.twitter

Makes sense. It also lends to the notion that Jackson's team leaked the article to NJ.com and that the alleged "gang ties" were a smoke screen to hide his insubordination. After all he wasn't suspended by the team or the league nor did he have a criminal record, so disproving the gang affiliation + bad boy image would be easier than trying to prove he was a good teammate.
JeeQ
Not a single name listed in the article... how credible.

Eagles still won't say one official word and continue to let unnamed sources from the media speak for them

On another note, interview with DeSean in two hours biggrin.gif
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 4 2014, 04:04 PM) *
Makes sense. It also lends to the notion that Jackson's team leaked the article to NJ.com and that the alleged "gang ties" were a smoke screen to hide his insubordination. After all he wasn't suspended by the team or the league nor did he have a criminal record, so disproving the gang affiliation + bad boy image would be easier than trying to prove he was a good teammate.

I disagree, it had been out for almost a month that the team had soured on him and the press was looking for reasons. His affiliations are public knowledge, a little deeper digging would easily reveal what came out in that story, it's all in the public domain. The current shit storm around the team over this was inevitable, and they knew it, especially after failing to find a trade partner. I think Kelly said, "If the shit is going to fly, let's get it done now so it burns out before we get back to the real work." After the story came out any slight chance of a trade was gone, so do it fast, let the fires rage for a few weeks, and then move on.
Jax
I frankly don't care why he was released. I have to trust that the Eagles don't release a player like that without a very good reason. I don't think Chip alone not liking him, money or racism make sense. Gangs or being a universal dick does make sense. Who knows what else it might be. Who cares.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Apr 4 2014, 01:17 PM) *
I disagree, it had been out for almost a month that the team had soured on him and the press was looking for reasons. His affiliations are public knowledge, a little deeper digging would easily reveal what came out in that story, it's all in the public domain. The current shit storm around the team over this was inevitable, and they knew it, especially after failing to find a trade partner. I think Kelly said, "If the shit is going to fly, let's get it done now so it burns out before we get back to the real work." After the story came out any slight chance of a trade was gone, so do it fast, let the fires rage for a few weeks, and then move on.

An unnamed source was quoted as saying "Kelly intends to get through this situation early, giving time for the controversy to burn out before the season begins"

I'll be damned, even I could've wrote this article laugh.gif
Birdman420
all credibility aside, This makes the most sense.

I just wonder how much of a dick do you have to be with the numbers he put up for a pro team to drop you like the eagles did Jackson.

He must have been a 12 yr old kid.
D Rock
QUOTE (Jax @ Apr 4 2014, 08:17 PM) *
I frankly don't care why he was released. I have to trust that the Eagles don't release a player like that without a very good reason.

jumpclap.gif jumpclap.gif jumpclap.gif
D Rock
And we're STILL waiting for a single (ONE) team mate to come to his defense. Hasn't happened. What could be more telling than that?
TGryn
One thing that the Incognito fiasco set for all NFL head coaches is they're responsible for everything that happens in their locker room. Laid-back coaches who prefer Xs-and-Os to managing the team's personalities will have a more difficult time in the new NFL.

I can believe that Kelly and Roseman looked down the road at what the team would be like in 2014-2015 without leaders like Vick and Avant around and figured that DJax would be a guy the rest would look to to set an example (not unreasonable, given his pay, performance, and age), and if the example was a poor one that would cycle down through the whole team. Would we have been as successful under Reid if Vincent and Dawkins and Westbrook were like Asante or FredEx in terms of being me-players always looking out for #1 first?

Minicamp is going to be interesting to see whether anyone breaks the code of silence re: "DJax is in the past, we're here to talk about the future," which I expect to be the party line. I'd be especially interested to have one of the media guys try to talk to the WR coach and see if he'll comment.
mcnabbulous
If he was such an asshole to Chip throughout the season, and truly was so insubordinate, why was he not once benched during the season?

I can't tell if the mindset was, "this guy is a lost cause" or "he's too valuable to keep off the field."

Maybe it was both, and now that Maclin is back, the value part is mitigated.

D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 4 2014, 09:40 PM) *
If he was such an asshole to Chip throughout the season, and truly was so insubordinate, why was he not once benched during the season?

Why are you so hung up on this issue? Last year, he had last year's team. This offseason, he's building next year's team. They've decided it will not contain Mesean. Would him benching DJax last season have somehow made this any different to you? It wouldn't have to me.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 4 2014, 05:20 PM) *
Why are you so hung up on this issue? Last year, he had last year's team. This offseason, he's building next year's team. They've decided it will not contain Mesean. Would him benching DJax last season have somehow made this any different to you? It wouldn't have to me.

Yes, maybe it would have put him in his place, resulting in a rebuilt dynamic and the ability to salvage the relationship so we wouldn't have to part ways with a top-10 receiver.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 4 2014, 10:28 PM) *
Yes, maybe it would have put him in his place, resulting in a rebuilt dynamic and the ability to salvage the relationship so we wouldn't have to part ways with a top-10 receiver.

Pfft - Good Riddance to Good Trash.

I wont miss his punk ass one bit. And, I don't think our offense skips a beat in his absence.

Just my opinion.

cool.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 4 2014, 04:02 PM) *
Just like I've beeb saying.

He was NOT released for the gang bizniz. That was well known all along. He was released because he was a dick and universally disliked throughout the organization and locker room. The on field production just wasn't enough to justify having to tolerate the person.

Has a single person on this board suggested that he was released because of gang affiliations? The issue is that 40 minutes after a story on his gang ties was released,
the Eagles cut him. If they cut him before free agency and then used the dough to sign Jarius Byrd, I think we'd all be celebrating. They did it after free agency, and all
that happened was we lost a star WR and the Redskins gained one. I hate the fact that I've had to defend him, the guy is a child and an obvious pain in the ass. But his
performance on the field cancels that out IMO, when the alternative is to cut him for nothing in return.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 4 2014, 07:50 PM) *
But his performance on the field cancels that out IMO

That's the big difference. Those who support the front office's decision feel that this type of player isn't worth the headache. We recognize this franchise is under a new regime and based on the (surprising) results from last season they have earned the benefit of the doubt.
nephillymike
This is good news.

If he really was such a problem, then there shouldn't be a team issue.

Also, Kelly comes off as being patient almost to the point of weakness which should alleviate concerns of an autocrat.

It is a small victory in a flawed management decision/philosophy.

What a missed opportunity.

We could have owned this division.
JeeQ
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 4 2014, 06:45 PM) *
This is good news.

If he really was such a problem, then there shouldn't be a team issue.

Also, Kelly comes off as being patient almost to the point of weakness which should alleviate concerns of an autocrat.

It is a small victory in a flawed management decision/philosophy.

What a missed opportunity.

We could have owned this division.

We may not have a Pro Bowl WR anymore, but our team chemistry is going to be through the roof!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 4 2014, 03:14 PM) *

Eagles still won't say one official word and continue to let unnamed sources from the media speak for them

Ok....I keep seeing your replies here and I get you loved Jackson and I get you are mad they released him but you continue to prove you know jack shit about the business world. When you fire an employee you say nothing about why....to do so invites legal action(see the idiotic PAs investigation) which, even if you win, costs a fortune to defend. It is Human Resource 101. You wish them well and move on.

What is more telling is that Jackson said nothing negative about the eagles other than that he was hurt. That hints(since you love to infer things) that there may indeed be something best left out of the conversation that both parties have agreed not to share.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 5 2014, 12:56 PM) *
Ok....I keep seeing your replies here and I get you loved Jackson and I get you are mad they released him but you continue to prove you know jack shit about the business world. When you fire an employee you say nothing about why....to do so invites legal action(see the idiotic PAs investigation) which, even if you win, costs a fortune to defend. It is Human Resource 101. You wish them well and move on.

What is more telling is that Jackson said nothing negative about the eagles other than that he was hurt. That hints(since you love to infer things) that there may indeed be something best left out of the conversation that both parties have agreed not to share.

Though that interview? (which seemed more like SAS doing everything he could to get Jackson to say the Eagles planted the gang story with NJ.com) was supposed to 'clear this up,' it only raised more questions. Jackson learned well from his 'father figure' how to side step questions, neither admitting or denying any of the claims he was supposed to clear up.

I told myself that if he showed any signs of remorse, or at least some culpability in what happened, then maybe he did mature from this experience. Instead he played the contrite, surprised, and hurt card, in other words...I am the victim here. He has not grown up a bit and I doubt he will in the Skins locker room. Is he gonna throw tantrums if Garcon remains RGIII's prime target?

He, though baited incessantly by SAS, did not criticize Kelly or the Eagles. Perhaps he was concerned what they would say in response if he started airing his dirty laundry? Also, being a hip hop record label CEO, what was with the Poindexter look he chose for the interview?
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 4 2014, 11:29 PM) *
We may not have a Pro Bowl WR anymore, but our team chemistry is going to be through the roof!

So let me ask you a question. IF the Eagles O does not miss a beat and gets even better next season, would you be willing to admit Kelly had good reasons to do this?
Zero
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Apr 5 2014, 12:39 PM) *
Though that interview? (which seemed more like SAS doing everything he could to get Jackson to say the Eagles planted the gang story with NJ.com) was supposed to 'clear this up,' it only raised more questions. Jackson learned well from his 'father figure' how to side step questions, neither admitting or denying any of the claims he was supposed to clear up.

I told myself that if he showed any signs of remorse, or at least some culpability in what happened, then maybe he did mature from this experience. Instead he played the contrite, surprised, and hurt card, in other words...I am the victim here. He has not grown up a bit and I doubt he will in the Skins locker room. Is he gonna throw tantrums if Garcon remains RGIII's prime target?

He, though baited incessantly by SAS, did not criticize Kelly or the Eagles. Perhaps he was concerned what they would say in response if he started airing his dirty laundry? Also, being a hip hop record label CEO, what was with the Poindexter look he chose for the interview?

I don't think Jackson handled this badly. He may have been the cause of his release, but the didn't burn any bridges going out. That's smart. Maybe he will grow from the experience, I just hope he doesn't help the Redskins. mad.gif
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 4 2014, 06:28 PM) *

Bullshit, he still does not see how he was a problem, they gave him no answer why.
See the shit storm going on now? Imagine benching Jackson during the season, what kind of storm would that have brought? Chip was a rookie coach last year and things started going well as the season moved forward, so he tolerated Jackson's antics without making it a public spectacle.
sticks n skins
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 4 2014, 01:14 PM) *

Kelly has never been one to explain football related decisions. He was that way at Oregon as well.
Eyrie
QUOTE (sticks n skins @ Apr 6 2014, 08:58 AM) *
Kelly has never been one to explain football related decisions. He was that way at Oregon as well.

Consistency is important.

Once Kelly explains one move, he is then under pressure to explain every move and if he doesn't the rumour mills will attribute the worst possible motives. For example, Jackson gets cut for being a prima donna but because the Eagles don't state this to be the case everyone assumes it's because he's heavily involved in illegal gang activity.

It's also noticeable that Kelly again appears to be in tune with the locker room. The majority were of the opinion that Cooper deserved a second chance, so Kelly gave him the opportunity. Based on the lack of anonymous comments to the contrary, the majority view on Jackson would appear to be that his unwillingness to fit in with Kelly's culture made him expendable.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 6 2014, 05:25 AM) *
Consistency is important.

Once Kelly explains one move, he is then under pressure to explain every move and if he doesn't the rumour mills will attribute the worst possible motives. For example, Jackson gets cut for being a prima donna but because the Eagles don't state this to be the case everyone assumes it's because he's heavily involved in illegal gang activity.

It's also noticeable that Kelly again appears to be in tune with the locker room. The majority were of the opinion that Cooper deserved a second chance, so Kelly gave him the opportunity. Based on the lack of anonymous comments to the contrary, the majority view on Jackson would appear to be that his unwillingness to fit in with Kelly's culture made him expendable.

Pretty dang accurate comments for a string bean, single malted, beskirted furriner!!! tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.