Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NFLPA Launching Investigation To Determine If The Eagles Smeared DeSean Jackson
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
NFL Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith says his union will investigate whether the Eagles smeared DeSean Jackson before cutting him.

“We’ve been in touch with DeSean, and first and foremost he is a tremendous football player and great young man,” Smith said on Mike & Mike. “On the issue of how he was released, whether or not there were comments or leaks from the team, misinformation to the media coming from the team, that’s something that we’re going to look at. We’ve always been aggressive about protecting the integrity of our players.”

An NJ.com story published shortly before the Eagles released Jackson suggested that Jackson had gang ties and also quoted an anonymous source within the Eagles organization as suggesting Jackson could be a bad influence on young players. Smith compared the situation with Jackson in Philadelphia to the situation for Josh Freeman in Tampa, where the players’ union is investigating whether Buccaneers executives or coaches peddled defamatory information about Freeman.

“We went into a deep investigation that’s continuing about Josh Freeman, and the comments that we believe came from team management or the coaches, and that’s an investigation that’s ongoing and we’re going to aggressively pursue it,” Smith said. “If we believe that someone at the team did something impermissible we’re going to be seeking significant discipline against those individuals. We look at that situation as similar to this one.”

The NFLPA investigation may explain why the Eagles have been so tight-lipped about Jackson. At least publicly.

mcnabbulous
Some top-notch PR by Jeff and the gang.
TGryn
Just remember that the NFLPA's reason for existence is to promote the player's welfare, not to unveil truth. If they were to discover that DJax *did* have gang ties, they're duty-bound not to report that, since it would harm the player's interests.
mcnabbulous
I don't think this has anything to do with whether Desean is or isn't in a gang. Obviously he has "gang ties."

This has to do with the perception that the Eagles planted a story to smear his reputation, so that the public would sympathize with their decision to release him.

It doesn't matter if it is or isn't true. What matters is that the perception exists because of the way the Eagles handled it.

Banner used to get blasted around here for his bungling of PR matters. I'm pretty shocked more can't see it for what it is.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 4 2014, 12:11 PM) *
Banner used to get blasted around here for his bungling of PR matters. I'm pretty shocked more can't see it for what it is.

It's because people here want so desperately to believe that the Banner/Reid/McNabb era is forever gone and we have a 'Dream Team' running the organization - this is why
you are seeing so many unbelievably ridiculous defenses of why releasing a Pro-Bowl WR after free agency for nothing in return must be because 'they see something we
don't.'

"Let's just see how it all plays out."

"Stats don't matter."

"He's a one-trick pony."

It's pathetic, and while many people smell a rat, if there's a paper trail leading to the Eagles actually being the cause of this story, I don't see how the franchise recovers.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 4 2014, 08:01 AM) *
Some top-notch PR by Jeff and the gang.

#GoldStandard
#SalaryCapChampions
#ForeverRingless

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 4 2014, 09:40 AM) *
It's because people here want so desperately to believe that the Banner/Reid/McNabb era is forever gone and we have a 'Dream Team' running the organization - this is why
you are seeing so many unbelievably ridiculous defenses of why releasing a Pro-Bowl WR after free agency for nothing in return must be because 'they see something we
don't.'

"Let's just see how it all plays out."

"Stats don't matter."

"He's a one-trick pony."

It's pathetic, and while many people smell a rat, if there's a paper trail leading to the Eagles actually being the cause of this story, I don't see how the franchise recovers.

Personally I'm quite enjoying watching several members of the board rewrite history. According to them Jackson was never a good player, and our front office has never made a misstep
mcnabbulous
Here's the thing. I think Jackson is a pain in the ass and Chip didn't handle that part of the equation correctly. He wants guys just to fall in line. That's fine, but some guys need to be handled differently. In my opinion, part of Chip's job involves managing that element of things. Desean should have been benched if things had gotten out of control. Watching the guy play all season long, put up career numbers, and seemingly work perfectly within Chip's system ultimately caused all of this turmoil.

With all that being said, I think the Eagles were comfortable (or happy) with the fact that the article was released which had people associate his release with gang ties. They preferred that speculation to the idea that they didn't want to pay the guy (for any number of reasons.)

They could have controlled the message. Instead, the Banner'dô it.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 4 2014, 01:15 PM) *
Here's the thing. I think Jackson is a pain in the ass and Chip didn't handle that part of the equation correctly. He wants guys just to fall in line. That's fine, but some guys need to be handled differently. In my opinion, part of Chip's job involves managing that element of things. Desean should have been benched if things had gotten out of control. Watching the guy play all season long, put up career numbers, and seemingly work perfectly within Chip's system ultimately caused all of this turmoil.

With all that being said, I think the Eagles were comfortable (or happy) with the fact that the article was released which had people associate his release with gang ties. They preferred that speculation to the idea that they didn't want to pay the guy (for any number of reasons.)

They could have controlled the message. Instead, the Banner'dô it.

Nope!!!! After reading today's article on the front page of Philly.com which quotes some from this extensive CBS article about MeSean, it is clear he was a cancer and had ZERO teammate support because of his actions. Chip just doesn't throw the dirt on a guy publicly. That takes balls with all of the unfounded Iggles Fan B that flies around this team.
"Sources: DeSean Jackson Was A Problem For Kelly, Eagles In Locker Room"
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/04/0...1OAoVgk.twitter
HobbEs
Let me see if I understand it correctly...

First we heard the Eagles tried to trade Jackson and supposedly the asking price was a 3rd round pick.

Next we heard that they may just cut ties with him if they can't find a reasonable deal.

Then we hear Jackson won't renegotiate his contract with any team that acquires him via trade.

After that comes the famous nj.com article.

Lastly DJax is released within 40 minutes of the article going online.

Aside from a couple of "we're cool/we're not cool" tweets in between did I miss anything? So why would any team try to smear a player when they're trying to get something of value for him? And why would a team try to smear a player when they release him? The fact that they released him is bad enough.

We know for a fact NO ONE wanted to trade for him. I'm not sure if he had to pass waivers but if so NO ONE wanted to pick him up on his current contract (that he's unhappy with). We know a handful of teams that currently need receivers immediately said they're not interested. A couple more had some investigating to do. And ONE, yes only ONE made a play for him. (And we all know said team doesn't value character when signing free agents).

Sorry, but to me it sounds like Jackson smeared himself. I don't run in NFL circles and we may never know the real reason(s) for his release. They may actually be doing him a favor by not saying anything about it.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 4 2014, 12:13 PM) *
Nope!!!! After reading today's article on the front page of Philly.com which quotes some from this extensive CBS article about MeSean, it is clear he was a cancer and had ZERO teammate support because of his actions. Chip just doesn't throw the dirt on a guy publicly. That takes balls with all of the unfounded Iggles Fan B that flies around this team.
"Sources: DeSean Jackson Was A Problem For Kelly, Eagles In Locker Room"
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/04/0...1OAoVgk.twitter

The best facts always come from unnamed sources.

So... the NFLPA announces they're launching an investigation against the Eagles and by yet another miracle of coincidence unnamed sources are starting to appear merely hours later trying to clean up the Eagles mess.
Zero
This is getting fucking hilarious! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.