Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DeSean Jackson "Will Clear Up Everything" In ESPN Interview
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
DeSean Jackson abruptly backed out of an interview on the Dan Patrick Show this morning, but Jackson does plan to get his side of everything that has transpired in the last week to the public.

Jackson has instead taped an interview with Stephen A. Smith of ESPN, according to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

A Jackson spokesperson told McLane that the interview “will clear up everything” and will air Friday.

Jackson issued a statement vehemently denying that he is in a gang after NJ.com published a story about his supposed gang ties shortly before the Eagles cut him. But other than that, Jackson has been mostly quiet about the circumstances that led to him getting cut by Philadelphia and ending up in Washington. Perhaps by the end of the day on Friday, we’ll have a better idea of what went wrong for Jackson with the Eagles.

samaroo
An interview with SAS, huh? This should be introspectful and not one-sided.
JeeQ
QUOTE (samaroo @ Apr 3 2014, 05:07 PM) *

Birdwatcher
QUOTE (samaroo @ Apr 3 2014, 08:07 PM) *

Kind of like Christie hiring his lawyer buddy to clear him of any wrong doing in the Bridge-gate scandal.

If Jackson accepts some culpability in his release then maybe he has grown from this, but if he tries to just defend himself or portray himself as a victim, then he is still a self-centered jerk.

On another note, if says something really stupid or vindictive, it might give the Eagles a reason to speak out on this.
BirdsWinBaby
SAS has already gone on record like Richard Sherman talking and talking and talking and talking about the gang nonsense BS that the eagles didnt even mention

no doubt the 'interview' will start off with SAS saying "man c'mon...you arent a gang member?" and from there explore why he isnt one now and has never been.

it will be a huge waste of time since it has nothing to do with why Djax got the boot

so glad this guy is finally off my team so i can laugh from afar
Zero
Here's a follow up from NJ.com after Jackson's interview with S A Smith. Smith really is an ass wipe. This is just two of their points:
... in that 30-minute interview, Jackson and Smith mischaracterized the NJ.com story several times. Here's what they got wrong:

Smith said the NJ.com report stated that Jackson is in a gang.

In the story, Los Angeles police said there was no evidence Jackson was in a gang, but that they believed he was associated with reputed gang members, and police were troubled that Jackson was flashing gang signs on social media and in NFL games. (When the story was published, the NFL said it would look into whether Jackson was flashing gang signs, which would be grounds for discipline.)

Smith implied the story about Jackson's alleged gang ties was leaked by the Eagles to NJ.com.

The conspiracy theories surrounding the story are comical. NJ.com uncovered Jackson's ties to alleged gang members through its own reporting. The Eagles played no part in NJ.com's investigation. When asked about Jackson's alleged gang ties, team officials said they were unaware of the ties and would not comment.
samaroo
It's about what I expected. He has a job because he's inflammatory, so he enflames... hunch.gif
Flying Dutchman
This just convinces me that SAS who NEVER was any good, still isn't!!!! This asylum is still being run by the inmates who have all contacted WIP disease. tongue.gif
Rick
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 4 2014, 08:16 AM) *
it will be a huge waste of time since it has nothing to do with why Djax got the boot

I don't disagree this will be a waste of time because, SAS is, well, SAS. But, what is the real reason he was cut from the team? The Eagles have been quiet on the subject. I still think it was a dumb move but, then again, I don't know why he was cut.

I don't buy the BS about gang ties. There is more to the story for sure. I doubt we'll ever know the truth.

I won't be watching the interview because it will be a waste of time for sure.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 6 2014, 08:14 PM) *
I don't disagree this will be a waste of time because, SAS is, well, SAS. But, what is the real reason he was cut from the team? The Eagles have been quiet on the subject. I still think it was a dumb move but, then again, I don't know why he was cut.

I don't buy the BS about gang ties. There is more to the story for sure. I doubt we'll ever know the truth.

I won't be watching the interview because it will be a waste of time for sure.

The Eagles have NEVER said anything about gang ties. Supposedly, Kelly had players in Oregon with gang backgrounds as well, but it never seemed to bother him.Why do so many fans impute that to them with NO proof. CBS did a detailed report after interviewing many current and former teammates and they all seem to have the same opinion, ie DJerk was a cancer on the team. Oh yeah, DJerk says he is a good guy (despite his teammates) so he must be right and Kelly/Roseman must be wrong with no proof to support that. Bah Humbug to the gang theorists including S(ame) A(ssinine) S(heet)!
Rick
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 6 2014, 08:50 PM) *
The Eagles have NEVER said anything about gang ties. Supposedly, Kelly had players in Oregon with gang backgrounds as well, but it never seemed to bother him.Why do so many fans impute that to them with NO proof. CBS did a detailed report after interviewing many current and former teammates and they all seem to have the same opinion, ie DJerk was a cancer on the team. Oh yeah, DJerk says he is a good guy (despite his teammates) so he must be right and Kelly/Roseman must be wrong with no proof to support that. Bah Humbug to the gang theorists including S(ame) A(ssinine) S(heet)!

That's sort of my point about the gang ties.

I couldn't care less if he is a cancer in the locker room. He helped us win games while he was here. Last time I checked, that's what most of us care about. As I've said elsewhere, he wasn't a convicted felon or anything like that. All of this BS about people wanting to like every player like they'd be best friends is ridiculous.

I want players who help us to win games. As long as they aren't doing things which would put them in jail, I'm ok with them. I don't need to want to be buddies with them.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 7 2014, 06:33 AM) *

I couldn't care less if he is a cancer in the locker room. He helped us win games while he was here. Last time I checked, that's what most of us care about. As I've said elsewhere, he wasn't a convicted felon or anything like that. All of this BS about people wanting to like every player like they'd be best friends is ridiculous.

I want players who help us to win games. As long as they aren't doing things which would put them in jail, I'm ok with them. I don't need to want to be buddies with them.

I still have to disagree about the cancer point. To me it is very, very important. We have seen no-name Os and Ds and teams perform superbly with the right esprit de corps. This team was among the top 10 youngest in the league last year and should be even younger this year. Kelly's whole system seems to be built around study, preparation, commitment and teamwork. None of those elements fit with Jackson. As sensational as he can be when he wants too, he has never been a team player. Maclin, Ertz, Sproles, Rookie WR etc. should keep this O rolling on all cylinders.
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 7 2014, 06:33 AM) *

That's the thing about cancer, it never starts as a big deal until it starts to spread. You may not care about the state of the locker room, because it's not your responsibility. The powers that be need to keep things in order or the inmates will start running the asylum.
Zero
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 7 2014, 09:08 AM) *
I still have to disagree about the cancer point. To me it is very, very important. We have seen no-name Os and Ds and teams perform superbly with the right esprit de corps. This team was among the top 10 youngest in the league last year and should be even younger this year. Kelly's whole system seems to be built around study, preparation, commitment and teamwork. None of those elements fit with Jackson. As sensational as he can be when he wants too, he has never been a team player. Maclin, Ertz, Sproles, Rookie WR etc. should keep this O rolling on all cylinders.

Absolutely agree with esprit de corps! If you've anything to do with the military you know how important it is to have everyone on the same page, moving in the same direction, all in step.

Most know that football is the consummate team game. Baseball and basketball can survive on great talent much easier than football can, and when a team has a star that extricates himself from everyone else, is confrontational and disrespectful with his coaches it has a negative impact. That can be the difference between winning those big games or losing them. Did it have an impact on Jackson't performance in those big games? I dunno, but maybe.
Rick
Puleeze. The whole, "cancer in the locker room," thing is so overblown it's become a cliché. What, exactly, was he doing which was so bad? None of the players were grumbling about what a bad guy he was, etc. The guy helped us win games...period.

So, would you rather have a bunch of great guys who go out and lose a bunch of games? I don't need/want to be friends with these guys. I want to watch them play a sport. That's all.

The whole concept of, "cancer in the locker room," is something made up by the media and eaten up by the fans. I've played sports my whole life. There's ALWAYS someone on the team who's a bit of an asshole. So what.
Zero
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 8 2014, 05:41 AM) *
The whole concept of, "cancer in the locker room," is something made up by the media and eaten up by the fans. I've played sports my whole life. There's ALWAYS someone on the team who's a bit of an asshole. So what.

That's fine. Many of us have always played sports, probably none of us has the coaching experience that Kelly does. He's in the locker room, the weight room, the meeting rooms and on the field. If he thinks a player is detrimental are you suggesting that your perspective is more relevant? Players like Vick and Dawk seem to agree with Kelly and don't need to worry about their jobs. Do any of us have a clearer perspective than they do? Puleeze, indeed.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 8 2014, 07:45 AM) *
That's fine. Many of us have always played sports, probably none of us has the coaching experience that Kelly does. He's in the locker room, the weight room, the meeting rooms and on the field. If he thinks a player is detrimental are you suggesting that your perspective is more relevant? Players like Vick and Dawk seem to agree with Kelly and don't need to worry about their jobs. Do any of us have a clearer perspective than they do? Puleeze, indeed.

Again, did he help them win games? Last time I checked, that's the object in the NFL. It's not about how you play the game, it's about winning/losing.

No offense to Dawk--he's my favorite Eagle--but he's not in the locker room with these guys. So he really doesn't know.

What, exactly, did Vick say about Djax? I don't recall hearing/reading anything from him.

He couldn't have been too detrimental, they won 10 games and won the division last season. That, to me, doesn't look detrimental to me.
Zero
The bottom line is what the coach thinks and he has a much better feel for what's going on than you or I do. It's presumptuous for any one of us to think otherwise although it's our instinct as fans. And that not one player offered concern that Jackson was unceremoniously released should offer a reasonable man some insight on how the players felt. I'm sure any one of them who likes winning would normally have concerns over their top receiver being cut.

Vick made a reserved comment about how this should help Jackson straighten some things out and mature. Not that the Eagles are losing their big play receiver and getting nothing in return. Not that the Redskins are making out like bandits.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 8 2014, 04:09 PM) *
The bottom line is what the coach thinks and he has a much better feel for what's going on than you or I do. It's presumptuous for any one of us to think otherwise although it's our instinct as fans. And that not one player offered concern that Jackson was unceremoniously released should offer a reasonable man some insight on how the players felt. I'm sure any one of them who likes winning would normally have concerns over their top receiver being cut.

Vick made a reserved comment about how this should help Jackson straighten some things out and mature. Not that the Eagles are losing their big play receiver and getting nothing in return. Not that the Redskins are making out like bandits.

I tend to think that many of the Eagles were glad his act was gone.

However, if there were any who thought otherwise, they would never say a peep about it because they just saw a top four player on the team get cut with no compensation! Not a dime and/or player.

The thinking goes, I better toe the line and if they cut jackson they sure as hell will cut me.

Don't take silence as affirmation.

The exception being that if someone is not happy here, and sees an opportunity to make more money in a new deal elsewhere, he could see the Jackson thing as a how to get cut from your team and make more money doing it!!

I don't think Mathis is in that group and I can't think of anyone else who stands to make more in the open market.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 8 2014, 06:41 AM) *
Puleeze. The whole, "cancer in the locker room," thing is so overblown it's become a cliché. What, exactly, was he doing which was so bad? None of the players were grumbling about what a bad guy he was, etc. The guy helped us win games...period.

So, would you rather have a bunch of great guys who go out and lose a bunch of games? I don't need/want to be friends with these guys. I want to watch them play a sport. That's all.

How many years did you play where the team and individual performances directly affected so many players, coaches and owners to the tune of millions/tens of millions/hundreds of millions? Many of us also played sports at many levels and come to different opinions. That's an individual thing. Kelly's priorities are different than yours and at this time he is the coach of this team and calls the shots.
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 8 2014, 09:41 PM) *
I tend to think that many of the Eagles were glad his act was gone.

However, if there were any who thought otherwise, they would never say a peep about it because they just saw a top four player on the team get cut with no compensation! Not a dime and/or player.

The thinking goes, I better toe the line and if they cut jackson they sure as hell will cut me.

Don't take silence as affirmation.

The exception being that if someone is not happy here, and sees an opportunity to make more money in a new deal elsewhere, he could see the Jackson thing as a how to get cut from your team and make more money doing it!!

I don't think Mathis is in that group and I can't think of anyone else who stands to make more in the open market.

I agree.

Also, it's not like the players are all breaking the silence and bashing Djax. They're not all saying, "Thank goodness that cancer is gone!"

Whether one believes Kelly did the right thing or not, this was still a STUPID football move. Not one thing about this move makes the Eagles a better team. Not one.

Djax isn't a rapist, or a murderer, or a drug dealer (at least none of us knows about anything like these things) so I don't see a problem with him on the team. He helped them win 10 games last season and had a career year---during a season where people have said he didn't, "buy into," the system. Makes me scratch my (bald) head when I hear people say things like that. Hell, I'll take a receiver, "not buying in," if it gets them that kind of production.
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 11 2014, 06:20 AM) *
I agree.

Also, it's not like the players are all breaking the silence and bashing Djax. They're not all saying, "Thank goodness that cancer is gone!"

Perhaps that's not the type of environment that Chip's program encourages. Clearly there is some code of silence. Neither the front office or the players have commented on Jackson's tenure or dismissal.

Whether one believes Kelly did the right thing or not, this was still a STUPID football move. Not one thing about this move makes the Eagles a better team. Not one.

"You can't see the forest for the trees." It's been clear that Chip Kelly is intent on re-building this "team" and not just a group of dynamic individuals.

Hell, I'll take a receiver, "not buying in," if it gets them that kind of production.

You know what happens when that player's production slips? He turns into a distraction. The coaches leadership is questioned and the locker room becomes divided. Younger players see a "veteran" who gets a pass because he can put up numbers and gets compensated handsomely for doing it his way. the potential ripple effect is disastrous and certainly not worth the risk. It's been proven time and time again for numerous franchises in different sports.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 11 2014, 05:20 AM) *
I agree.

Djax isn't a rapist, or a murderer, or a drug dealer (at least none of us knows about anything like these things) so I don't see a problem with him on the team. He helped them win 10 games last season and had a career year---during a season where people have said he didn't, "buy into," the system. Makes me scratch my (bald) head when I hear people say things like that. Hell, I'll take a receiver, "not buying in," if it gets them that kind of production.

Rick...I am sorry...I don't know what sports you played and at what level but it has been my experience in all the sports I played that teams with "me" guys tend to fail once you are past about 16 years old. In high school and college it definitely becomes an issue.
Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 11 2014, 10:22 AM) *
Perhaps that's not the type of environment that Chip's program encourages. Clearly there is some code of silence. Neither the front office or the players have commented on Jackson's tenure or dismissal.

"You can't see the forest for the trees." It's been clear that Chip Kelly is intent on re-building this "team" and not just a group of dynamic individuals.

This is called drinking the kool aid. All speculation.

QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 11 2014, 10:22 AM) *
You know what happens when that player's production slips? He turns into a distraction. The coaches leadership is questioned and the locker room becomes divided. Younger players see a "veteran" who gets a pass because he can put up numbers and gets compensated handsomely for doing it his way. the potential ripple effect is disastrous and certainly not worth the risk. It's been proven time and time again for numerous franchises in different sports.

Guess what, ALL players' production will slip eventually. So let's cut them ALL!

More importantly, when did he ever question leadership? Specifically? Not anecdotal stories that none of us know are true or not.
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 11 2014, 10:21 PM) *
Rick...I am sorry...I don't know what sports you played and at what level but it has been my experience in all the sports I played that teams with "me" guys tend to fail once you are past about 16 years old. In high school and college it definitely becomes an issue.

Again, it couldn't have been too much of an issue. They did win 10 games and won the division AND should have won the playoff game they lost.
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 13 2014, 10:37 AM) *
This is called drinking the kool aid. All speculation.

Considering that Jackson helped lose 12 games the year before Chip got here, I'm more likely to look at our HC as the saving grace rather than a malcontent WR.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 13 2014, 11:37 AM) *
Considering that Jackson helped lose 12 games the year before Chip got here, I'm more likely to look at our HC as the saving grace rather than a malcontent WR.

So did Foles, Shady, Peters, Cole, and half the guys on the roster. Naturally you would be ok with cutting all of them, because Chip knows all?
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 13 2014, 11:41 AM) *
So did Foles, Shady, Peters, Cole, and half the guys on the roster. Naturally you would be ok with cutting all of them, because Chip knows all?

In other words wins and losses aren't the product of any single player.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 13 2014, 12:04 PM) *
In other words wins and losses aren't the product of any single player.

So if he cut Shady tomorrow without explanation you'd be cool with that? I'll take the stats, you take the wins?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 13 2014, 09:38 AM) *
Again, it couldn't have been too much of an issue. They did win 10 games and won the division AND should have won the playoff game they lost.

that is an excellent point.......the only thing I can guess at is that Jackson's play in the playoffs and subsequent contract comments were enough to put the nail in the coffin. His second half production had slipped and kelly did not want any more headaches....purely supposition on my part but it explains the move. In this case he was not the only superstar on the team and the others are team players....Kelly may have seen this as the best way to go forward....I could be very wrong.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 13 2014, 12:24 PM) *
that is an excellent point.......the only thing I can guess at is that Jackson's play in the playoffs and subsequent contract comments were enough to put the nail in the coffin. His second half production had slipped and kelly did not want any more headaches....purely supposition on my part but it explains the move. In this case he was not the only superstar on the team and the others are team players....Kelly may have seen this as the best way to go forward....I could be very wrong.

Did you see Shady's comments on 24/7?
It is interesting that Shady said he did not see any blowups with Jackson and Kelly.

Unless he's lying, that would tend to do heavy damage to the "pain in the ass distraction theory" On one hand Shady was DJ's friend and he's whacked so maybe he's the same way and will be an attitude cut in the future too.

If the pain in the ass distraction theory is discounted, the money theory moves up on the list of probabilities!!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 13 2014, 01:08 PM) *
Did you see Shady's comments on 24/7?
It is interesting that Shady said he did not see any blowups with Jackson and Kelly.

Unless he's lying, that would tend to do heavy damage to the "pain in the ass distraction theory" On one hand Shady was DJ's friend and he's whacked so maybe he's the same way and will be an attitude cut in the future too.

If the pain in the ass distraction theory is discounted, the money theory moves up on the list of probabilities!!

i don't think money ever left the equation....I think it was a combination of 3 things...

1. bad attitude/me guy type
2. money for a guy they don't think commands it
3. he brought up the contract again and the FO had seen that movie before and did not want to watch the sequel
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 13 2014, 01:24 PM) *

This would make more sense than the other ridiculous theories out there. I can't say I agree with this line of reasoning if it is what happened but it would make more sense.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.