Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One Unintended Consequence of Cutting Jackson
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
nephillymike
They see Cooper getting a nice deal after saying the N word.

They see Jackson getting cut amidst unsubstantiated criminal insinuations.

Just for fun, they read Cooper's concert going drinking buddy's celebratory tweet, rejoicing after Jackson's release.

You would think that the fact Jackson hit the jackpot would ease the criticism but it hasn't.

The Eagles are very sensitive to this kind of stuff so I think that it will force them to the podium soon.

Any board "brethren" who are brothers feel the same way?
JeeQ
To Quote Super Bowl Champion Richard Sherman...

I’m not going to tell you that DeSean Jackson isn’t in a gang, because I can’t say unequivocally that he isn’t. I can’t tell you whether his friends have done the things police have accused them of doing, because I wasn’t there. I can’t tell you what DeSean does with his time, because we play football on opposite ends of the country. I can only tell you that I believe him to be a good person, and if you think, say or write otherwise without knowing the man, you’re in the wrong.

And if it’s true the Eagles terminated his contract in part because they grew afraid of his alleged “gang ties,” then they did something worse. [Editor’s note: Jackson has agreed to terms with the Redskins.]

I look at those words—gang ties—and I think about all the players I’ve met in the NFL and all of us who come from inner-city neighborhoods like mine in Los Angeles, and I wonder how many of us could honestly say we’re not friends with guys doing the wrong things.

I can’t.

I grew up in Watts, and I played baseball with DeSean in elementary school on a team coached by his father near Inglewood. His father, Bill, picked me up from elementary school 30 minutes away from his home for practice and games because my parents both worked and didn’t finish until later, and I wanted to play baseball with some childhood friends. Bill was a great coach, and a great man. He died of pancreatic cancer in 2009, the summer after his son’s rookie season. DeSean and I didn’t hang out then like we did as kids.

Those men with DeSean in the social pictures and the police reports weren’t his closest friends in childhood, but when his father died and few people were there for him, they were there. When a tragic event like that happens, the people who are around are the people who are around, and they were there for him.

Was DeSean supposed to then say, “Thanks guys, but now that I’m a millionaire, please leave me alone”? Even if he wanted to, he wouldn’t have. In desperate times for people who come from desperate communities, your friends become your family. I wouldn’t expect DeSean to “distance himself” from anybody, as so many people suggest pro athletes ought to do despite having no understanding of what that means. Going to college and playing in the NFL creates a natural distance, but we can’t push people away just because they’re not as successful as us. I can’t change who I grew up with, but what I can do is try to educate them on the right way of doing things, help them when they need it, and try to keep them out of trouble.

There is, of course, a tipping point. There have been times when I realized that someone can’t be helped, because they continue doing the wrong things. Typically, the only time I cut someone off is when they’re in jail, because I can’t help them there.

And if they’re accused of a crime, as DeSean’s friends have been, should that reflect poorly on me? Consider that for every several guys I try to help who end up dead or in jail, there’s another person I was able to rescue from a similar end. Should I give up on everybody out of fear of being dirtied by the media?

Sorry, but I was born in this dirt.

NFL teams understand that. The Seattle Seahawks get it. The Philadelphia Eagles apparently do not.
This offseason they re-signed a player who was caught on video screaming, “I will fight every n—– here.” He was representing the Philadelphia Eagles when he said it, because, of course, everything we do is reflective of the organization. But what did they do to Riley Cooper, who, if he’s not a racist, at least has “ties” to racist activity? They fined him and sent him to counseling. No suspension necessary for Cooper and no punishment from the NFL, despite its new interest in policing our use of the N-word on the field. Riley instead got a few days off from training camp and a nice contract in the offseason, too.

Commit certain crimes in this league and be a certain color, and you get help, not scorn. Look at the way many in the media wrote about Jim Irsay after his DUI arrest. Nobody suggested the Colts owner had “ties” to drug trafficking, even though he was caught driving with controlled substances (prescription pills) and $29,000 in cash to do who-knows-what with. Instead, poor millionaire Mr. Irsay needs help, some wrote.

But DeSean Jackson is the menace, right? He’s just as bad as those guys he parties with because he threw up a Crip sign in a picture and he owns a gangsta rap record label. If only all record label owners were held to this standard, somebody might realize that Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg weren’t the bosses behind NWA. Jim Irsay lookalikes in suits were.

But go ahead and judge DeSean for the company he keeps. While you’re at it, judge me, too, because I still live in Los Angeles, and my family does, too. We didn’t run from where we grew up. We aren’t afraid to be associated with the people who came up with us. We brought some of our money back and started charities and tried to help out a few guys who were with us when we were nobodies.

I won’t apologize for that, and I suspect neither will DeSean when he’s back on the field doing what he’s always done: grinding through adversity.
Phits
it's really silly that people want to blame jackson's dismissal on any one event, especially while being knowingly ignorant.

I said silly, i meant sad.
Birdwatcher
This is not a racially biased move, how can anyone call the team that brought Vick back to the NFL after federal prison time racist? Jason Peters has run afoul of the law a couple of times and was just upped to a bigger contract than Cooper. Right now it is an emotional response due to the article, which the Eagles did not publish BTW.
JaxEagle
Popcorn ready, this one could get fun
nephillymike
It's not racially biased IMO. But the Eagles need to fess up and put out a release or God forbid, hold a press conference.

What if, and very big if, the Eagles were behind the story?

Can you imagine?
mcnabbulous
Of course the Eagles planted the story. I don't think it's racially motivated. I think they wanted a reason to cut him for financial purposes and the only excuse they could come up with is this bullshit about "missing meetings" and "gang affiliations."

They cut him 40 minutes after the story was released.

None of it matters in the big picture. Players will come to Philly if the best deal is available. The idea that cutting DJax was in the best interest of locker room chemistry is dog shit. If anything, more guys are probably unhappy with the move than the other way around. Since these guys have no salary protection, and the Eagles have made it clear they'll drop a guy like a bad habit, no one is going to speak up in his defense.

We'll continue to be good enough to compete, but not good enough to win it all. The bills will continue to get paid. The franchise will continue to thrive. And we'll have the classiest locker room in all of football.

Gold standard.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 2 2014, 09:24 PM) *
To Quote Super Bowl Champion Richard Sherman...

wait so he starts out saying "IF" the Eagles cut DeSean for gang ties blah blah blah

he realizes he has to say "IF" because its a assumption since the eagles never said it

by the end of his soliloquy "IF" has been forgotten? and he is saying with a certainty that the eagles dont get it because they cut him for gang ties?

well thats a neat trick. as anyone with a brain can see (and like McN said) the gang/mtgs angle is BS.....so how smart is richard sherman again? didnt he teach aristotle how to read or some such?
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 2 2014, 11:04 PM) *
Of course the Eagles planted the story.

This is the kind of bullshit that makes me crazy! "Of course ..." as if there are those who walk among us who have that special crystal orb that tells all. To you the pieces may add up to that, but the absolute, undeniable truth it that it is only your opinion which you choose to display as fact. Until someone proves your opinion it will remain just that and it is irresponsible for anyone to express it in any other form.

So says Oz. cool.gif
JaxEagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 2 2014, 11:04 PM) *
Of course the Eagles planted the story. I don't think it's racially motivated. I think they wanted a reason to cut him for financial purposes and the only excuse they could come up with is this bullshit about "missing meetings" and "gang affiliations."

They cut him 40 minutes after the story was released.

None of it matters in the big picture. Players will come to Philly if the best deal is available. The idea that cutting DJax was in the best interest of locker room chemistry is dog shit. If anything, more guys are probably unhappy with the move than the other way around. Since these guys have no salary protection, and the Eagles have made it clear they'll drop a guy like a bad habit, no one is going to speak up in his defense.

We'll continue to be good enough to compete, but not good enough to win it all. The bills will continue to get paid. The franchise will continue to thrive. And we'll have the classiest locker room in all of football.

Gold standard.

Check Yahoo front page. LAPD confirmed gang ties to 49ers and Raiders.

Did you think they cut him just because they wanted to save some money or just because Chip didn't like him?
mcnabbulous
Of course he had gang ties. There are pictures of him hanging out with known gang members. That doesn't mean that he's a gang member.

The Eagles are the only ones to blame for the rampant speculation. They released one of our best players, with no compensation, immediately after the release of that story.

They could say countless things that would end the speculation without jeopardizing any HR policies.

Z - that specially addresses your point. It's Eagles created speculation. A little bit of PR could easily have killed any of it. Because the release of one of our best players is so non sensical, we are left to form opinions.

It seems pretty damn obvious to me. They don't want to pay their WRs that much, he was a bit of a headache, and Chip thinks his scheme can work without him.

It's seriously the early Reid days all over, as it relates to those points. I disagreed with it then and I disagree with it now.
mcnabbulous
Well timed:
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/20145...-might-be-worse
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 3 2014, 06:28 AM) *
so how smart is richard sherman again? didnt he teach aristotle how to read or some such?

I'M DA BEST PHILOSOPHER THERE IS! WHEN YOU PUT ME UP AGAINST A SORRY ASS PHILOSOPHER LIKE ARISTOTLE, DAT'S
DA RESULT YOU GONN GET!
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 3 2014, 09:06 AM) *

lol....that article is a joke. Much like most of these uninformed no source articles:

The Eagles' stealthy manipulation of a complicated gang story is far worse than anything Jackson has done. The fact Philadelphia brass has said nothing post-release is gutless.

where is the evidence that the Eagles have propagated any of the "gang ties" claims? so far everything suggests Eagles guilt because they haven't made a formal statement.

what a joke.
mcnabbulous
Because they released one of their best players, minutes after the release of that story, with no explanation.

That's the joke.
make_it_rain
Sherman is scum.

No one knows why Jackson was released. We probably never will.

To insinuate that he was released because he is black is just as reckless and irresponsible as the clowns out there speculating that he was released because he's in the Crips, is a whiny diva, is a bad fit, commandeered MLH 370, etc.....

mcnabbulous
It's irresponsible of the Eagles to release him moments after the release of that story, without dispelling that innuendo, if it isn't the case.

They could easily squash the speculation, but their silence has resulted in people speculating that DJax is a crip, that is the reason they released him, and that they planted the story to gain support for the decision to cut ties with one of their best players.

This is 100% on the Eagles.
make_it_rain
I agree.

Depending on what information (if any) comes to light about this release, the story etc, I would say the actions of the front office range anywhere from super shady to outright scummy.

The FO has never really been known as the classiest bunch out there, but this seems especially dirty. We shall see.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 3 2014, 11:04 AM) *
It's irresponsible of the Eagles to release him moments after the release of that story, without dispelling that innuendo, if it isn't the case.

They could easily squash the speculation, but their silence has resulted in people speculating that DJax is a crip, that is the reason they released him, and that they planted the story to gain support for the decision to cut ties with one of their best players.

Let me get this straight, an employer is responsible for providing detailed explanation regarding the dismissal of an employee? It's necessary in order to quench the blood thirst of public speculation? Based on the backlash it wouldn't surprise me in the least if DJax's people planted the article.

The court of public opinion, guilty until proven innocent. Nice.
mcnabbulous
It's pretty clear that their preference is for rampant speculation, so they don't have to own up to their real reasons for the release. Several parts money, a splash of scheme over personnel, a dash of not valuing the position, and a pinch of "he's a headache."

The media (and anyone else) speculating to the reasons isn't irresponsible. It's strategic.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 3 2014, 10:14 AM) *
Let me get this straight, an employer is responsible for providing detailed explanation regarding the dismissal of an employee? It's necessary in order to quench the blood thirst of public speculation?

Uh, DJax is the one who is dealing with "guilty until proven innocent." Not the other way around.
The fact that you're such a shill for the organization is rather surprising.

Based on the backlash it wouldn't surprise me in the least if DJax's people planted the article.

And you think DJax's team planted a story about him being in a gang, on the heels of being released and needing to find a new job? Jesus, dude.
TGryn
I don't think there's anything the Eagles could publicly say that wouldn't result in their being sued for defamation. I don't know that DJax's finding new employment changes the Eagles' legal position as his ex-employer; in any case, they definitely couldn't say anything negative about him while he was out on the market, and anything they say now will just get dismissed as sour grapes.

I think the reasons for dumping him are numerous, but there wasn't one independent of the others that tipped the apple cart over. Money, insubordination, poor work ethic, bad associations, age, concussion history, depth at WR, and the upcoming draft prospects at WR probably all played a role. Unfortunately, that also means we'll probably never get a clean-cut explanation that can be put together as to "why now?" We never really did get a simple explanation for the McNabb trade, either, nor for the Modrak firing, to go back further.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 3 2014, 11:28 AM) *
Uh, DJax is the one who is dealing with "guilty until proven innocent." Not the other way around.
The fact that you're such a shill for the organization is rather surprising.

At first it would certainly appear that way, except the missing pieces don't add up in favor of the Eagles.

And you think DJax's team planted a story about him being in a gang, on the heels of being released and needing to find a new job? Jesus, dude.

It may be a stretch but it certainly isn't out of the realm of logic. They exploit public opinion and slowly provide alternatives to the common beliefs. They validate their claims by Jackson not having a police record, by him not being an actual gang member. His team simply put the focus on the gang stuff instead of the real stuff. Jackson made a media request for a new contract shortly after the season ended, putting the pressure on the Eagles to respond. This would just be another pressure test to which he knew the Eagles would be hard pressed to respond.

It's not that hard to fathom. I mean, if you believe the fantasy that he is not gang affiliated anything is possible.

As for being a "shill" for the organization. I am sick of multi-millionaire celebrities being beyond reproach. I have fired a number of people during my day. There have been several that were released for less than the (actual) facts known regarding Jackson's insubordination. I'm sick of fans who don't feel that public image is important and that winning at all costs is reasonable. Celebrities who feel their status/talent makes them above the rules. I don't like the culture that this kind of attitude breeds. I used to believe that celebrities were not role models, and I don't feel that they should be. however, I recognize that there is less control (than I would like) regarding who people admire and look up to.
Jax
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 3 2014, 10:14 AM) *
Let me get this straight, an employer is responsible for providing detailed explanation regarding the dismissal of an employee? It's necessary in order to quench the blood thirst of public speculation?

Correct. That's what many people in our society think today. Sickening isn't it.
HOUSEoPAIN
I'm sick of fans who don't feel that public image is important

Public image IS important - which is why the millions of fans who buy merchandise, jerseys, direct tv, and tickets to see the
Eagles play are owed more than the transfer of our star WR to a division rival 40 minutes after a news story comes out about
him hanging out with gang members, after free agency, while knowing that he was a problem in the locker room and was
making $10 million.

and that winning at all costs is
reasonable.

We don't win. 21 years before I was born was the last time the Eagles had a championship parade. This upcoming year will be
another one without a ring, when just 3 weeks ago we were salivating about having possibly the most explosive offense in NFL
history and competing for a title.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 3 2014, 11:28 AM) *
Jackson made a media request for a new contract shortly after the season ended, putting the pressure on the Eagles to respond. This would just be another pressure test to which he knew the Eagles would be hard pressed to respond.

This is a lie. He was asked by a member of the media about his contract, and he basically said he wanted some more guarantees. He didn't make any "media request."

It's not that hard to fathom. I mean, if you believe the fantasy that he is not gang affiliated anything is possible.

Huh?

As for being a "shill" for the organization. I am sick of multi-millionaire celebrities being beyond reproach. I have fired a number of people during my day. There have been several that were released for less than the (actual) facts known regarding Jackson's insubordination. I'm sick of fans who don't feel that public image is important and that winning at all costs is reasonable. Celebrities who feel their status/talent makes them above the rules. I don't like the culture that this kind of attitude breeds. I used to believe that celebrities were not role models, and I don't feel that they should be. however, I recognize that there is less control (than I would like) regarding who people admire and look up to.

Chip's entire schtick is that he doesn't talk to the media. Is he not a multi-millionaire celebrity? He's the face of the organization.

We're just supposed to trust him, trust his system, trust his personnel abilities.

Nah, man. We've done that before. It didn't work then.

I can't reiterate it enough, his job is to maximize talent. In this case, he minimized it.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 3 2014, 11:44 AM) *
We're just supposed to trust him, trust his system, trust his personnel abilities.

Nah, man. We've done that before. It didn't work then.

I can't reiterate it enough, his job is to maximize talent. In this case, he minimized it.

Gotcha. You're entitled to know.
bounty101
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Apr 3 2014, 10:21 AM) *
Sherman is scum.

No one knows why Jackson was released. We probably never will.

To insinuate that he was released because he is black is just as reckless and irresponsible as the clowns out there speculating that he was released because he's in the Crips, is a whiny diva, is a bad fit, commandeered MLH 370, etc.....

I didn't think Sherman was saying Jackson was released because he's black. From what I've learned about Sherman, to me he's an intelligent, good-hearted person, and he's not standing up for DeSean in particular, but for all NFL players that come from places like theirs who can't tell their friends to get lost. Although, in Vick's case, it cost him two years in prison and about $50 million because he actually did get sucked into their criminal activities.

I think he has a point, and wanted to make it regardless of what is known about the situation.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Jax @ Apr 3 2014, 11:55 AM) *
Gotcha. You're entitled to know.

It has nothing to do with entitlement. It's simple public relations. Get out in front of the message or someone will create it for you.
The Eagles chose to release him less than 40 minutes after a story broke regarding the gang stuff. The fact that they have no addressed it indicates that they don't care if people speculate that as the reason for the release or that they planted the story to garner sympathy.
If you choose not to defend yourself, you lose the rights to "innocent until proven guilty." With their silence, the Eagles are pleading no contest.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 3 2014, 02:15 PM) *
It has nothing to do with entitlement. It's simple public relations. Get out in front of the message or someone will create it for you.
The Eagles chose to release him less than 40 minutes after a story broke regarding the gang stuff. The fact that they have no addressed it indicates that they don't care if people speculate that as the reason for the release or that they planted the story to garner sympathy.
If you choose not to defend yourself, you lose the rights to "innocent until proven guilty." With their silence, the Eagles are pleading no contest.

In the Entitlement world this is probably the rule. In the Professional world it is just called staying above the fray.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 3 2014, 09:20 AM) *
I'M DA BEST PHILOSOPHER THERE IS! WHEN YOU PUT ME UP AGAINST A SORRY ASS PHILOSOPHER LIKE ARISTOTLE, DAT'S
DA RESULT YOU GONN GET!

lol...nice one!
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 3 2014, 09:15 AM) *
Because they released one of their best players, minutes after the release of that story, with no explanation.

That's the joke.

Wow! It truly amazes me how some people have the inside facts but haven't been able to cash in on it. It's a shame they're relegated to posting on an internet bulletin board instead of publishing their stuff in a national periodical.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 3 2014, 10:04 AM) *

You are spending too much time looking at the left hand!

The article and discussion about it is a distraction.
It's all about money.
JeeQ
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 3 2014, 04:56 PM) *

It's all about money.

I don't think anyone disagrees it was a money decision. This is the Eagles we're talking about, 99% of the time it's a money decision. When they chose to use the gang story as a smoke screen is where they made their mistake.

If they had printed "We have released DeSean Jackson due to conduct detrimental to the team" without the gang story attached to it this would be a dead discussion. But you really cant expect the Eagles to do something right for a change.
nephillymike
dupe
nephillymike
dupe
nephillymike
Forget about the Eagles response for a minute.

Why do you think the writer nor newspaper has answered any interview requests?

Reporters always talk about their stories.

Anyone find it strange?

Maybe a rock solid source didn't check out?

Sure smells fishy.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 3 2014, 06:36 PM) *
Wow! It truly amazes me how some people have the inside facts but haven't been able to cash in on it. It's a shame they're relegated to posting on an internet bulletin board instead of publishing their stuff in a national periodical.

What am I insinuating that I know? I'm talking exclusively about perceptions. They created that perception. It's their own doing.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 3 2014, 06:56 PM) *

It's all about money.

Mikey, I know this. It's exactly what the eagles want. They want people to be talking about his gang ties and being a headache when it comes down to money, not valuing the position, and Chip thinking his scheme can work with anyone.
It's early-Reid all over again. That's my frustration. As a fanbase, we already went through this. And by the time it became apparent that having a playmaking WR was a necessity, we had let 3 years go by.
I think the Eagles are perfectly content letting people speculate about what a headache DJax is. And his potential gang affiliations. Because then they don't have to admit the reality. They didn't want to pay the guy $10mm this year, regardless of how if may impact the team on the field.
Regardless of our offensive success next year, we would we better with Desean. It's that simple.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 3 2014, 09:06 PM) *
Mikey, I know this. It's exactly what the eagles want. They want people to be talking about his gang ties and being a headache when it comes down to money, not valuing the position, and Chip thinking his scheme can work with anyone.
It's early-Reid all over again. That's my frustration. As a fanbase, we already went through this. And by the time it became apparent that having a playmaking WR was a necessity, we had let 3 years go by.
I think the Eagles are perfectly content letting people speculate about what a headache DJax is. And his potential gang affiliations. Because then they don't have to admit the reality. They didn't want to pay the guy $10mm this year, regardless of how if may impact the team on the field.
Regardless of our offensive success next year, we would we better with Desean. It's that simple.

That's called oversimplification.

Chip Kelly is not Andy Reid. Howie Roseman is not Joe Banner. Nick Fole is not Donovan McNabb. LeSean McCoy is not a trio of RB's. Maclin and Cooper are not Thrash and Pinkston. This is not the same team nor the same circumstance. We have a several play makers on this offense, which you seem willing to ignore.

Suggesting we would be better with Jackson remains to be seen, but it isn't a given. Go look at the game logs. Jackson was great, at times. He was not great more often than not.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 3 2014, 06:36 PM) *
That's called oversimplification.

Chip Kelly is not Andy Reid. Howie Roseman is not Joe Banner. Nick Fole is not Donovan McNabb. LeSean McCoy is not a trio of RB's. Maclin and Cooper are not Thrash and Pinkston. This is not the same team nor the same circumstance. We have a several play makers on this offense, which you seem willing to ignore.

Suggesting we would be better with Jackson remains to be seen, but it isn't a given. Go look at the game logs. Jackson was great, at times. He was not great more often than not.

Three Time Pro-Bowler laugh.gif

Leads The League In Receptions Over 40YRDS laugh.gif

Top Ten WR In The League For Multiple Seasons laugh.gif

Three 1000+ YRD Seasons laugh.gif

4th Best WR In Eagles History laugh.gif
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 3 2014, 08:01 PM) *
What am I insinuating that I know? I'm talking exclusively about perceptions. They created that perception. It's their own doing.

Who? Who created a perception? The Eagles have released one statement. One. Only one that I'm aware of. No doubt the perception exists but it is supposition that the Eagles created it.
Zero
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 3 2014, 11:30 PM) *
Three Time Pro-Bowler laugh.gif

Leads The League In Receptions Over 40YRDS laugh.gif

Top Ten WR In The League For Multiple Seasons laugh.gif

Three 1000+ YRD Seasons laugh.gif

4th Best WR In Eagles History laugh.gif

Just curious, what are his states in playoff games? This isn't the slam dunk you want to make it. I'm on record as not being in favor of this at most any level, but we can't pretend there isn't something behind it. The crime isn't so much that Jackson isn't on the Eagles any longer, the crime is that the Eagles didn't get anything for him ... and even that's not a slam dunk indictment on the Eagles.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 4 2014, 03:55 AM) *
Who? Who created a perception? The Eagles have released one statement. One. Only one that I'm aware of. No doubt the perception exists but it is supposition that the Eagles created it.

They created it by releasing him 40 minutes after that nj.com article hit the wire.

They created it by not addressing the release.

They created it by releasing one of their best players.

When was the last time a 27-year old player of Desean's caliber was simply cut by his team with no compensation?

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 4 2014, 03:58 AM) *
Just curious, what are his states in playoff games? This isn't the slam dunk you want to make it. I'm on record as not being in favor of this at most any level, but we can't pretend there isn't something behind it. The crime isn't so much that Jackson isn't on the Eagles any longer, the crime is that the Eagles didn't get anything for him ... and even that's not a slam dunk indictment on the Eagles.

It's pretty hard to make plays as a wide receiver when your QB is playing extremely conservatively. Foles didn't provide Jackson many opportunities. With that being said, he had a 40 yard reception that setup a touchdown and drew a 40 yard pass interference that setup another TD.

In his career, he has averaged nearly 17 yards per catch in the playoffs. As a rookie, he had a huge late score against Arizona and he also had a huge forced fumble in the first half that saved McNabb's ass.

Desean is easily a top-10 WR in football. Take a look at Calvin Johnson's game logs. You'll find 5 games where he did virtually nothing. And he's the biggest freak in football. It's a stupid way to judge WR's.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 4 2014, 09:58 AM) *
They created it by releasing him 40 minutes after that nj.com article hit the wire.

They created it by not addressing the release.

They created it by releasing one of their best players.

When was the last time a 27-year old player of Desean's caliber was simply cut by his team with no compensation?

Actually, you have created the controversy. You have allowed yourself to be manipulated by the media. Without the complete story, you have pieced together bits of information and arrived at your own conclusion. You have determined that the Eagles are guilty of something other than being responsible for their franchise personnel. You say he is one of their best players. The Eagles feel that there is more to be a teammate than the stats produced on field. Instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt, you have fanned the flames of controversy.

That's on you.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 4 2014, 10:09 AM) *
It's pretty hard to make plays as a wide receiver when your QB is playing extremely conservatively. Foles didn't provide Jackson many opportunities. With that being said, he had a 40 yard reception that setup a touchdown and drew a 40 yard pass interference that setup another TD.

In his career, he has averaged nearly 17 yards per catch in the playoffs. As a rookie, he had a huge late score against Arizona and he also had a huge forced fumble in the first half that saved McNabb's ass.

Desean is easily a top-10 WR in football. Take a look at Calvin Johnson's game logs. You'll find 5 games where he did virtually nothing. And he's the biggest freak in football. It's a stupid way to judge WR's.

He was shut down by the Saints defense and didn't produce anything until the starting CB left the game with an injury late in the game. In 6 playoff games he has 19 catches...11 of them came in his rookie season (2008). Trying to find a comparison between him and Megatron is laughable. Calvin Johnson plays the entire field and doesn't disappear in games. The same cannot be said for Jackson.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 4 2014, 09:10 AM) *
Actually, you have created the controversy. You have allowed yourself to be manipulated by the media. Without the complete story, you have pieced together bits of information and arrived at your own conclusion. You have determined that the Eagles are guilty of something other than being responsible for their franchise personnel. You say he is one of their best players. The Eagles feel that there is more to be a teammate than the stats produced on field. Instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt, you have fanned the flames of controversy.

That's on you.

Nah, man. It's not my responsibility to play PR for a professional sports organization. At minimum, they did him a disservice by timing his release so it was associated with that story. You can deny it all you want, for whatever reason, but it is classless.

If that is their only crime, it's pretty shitty of them. That's what this all comes down to.

You're saying "without the complete story," but it's entirely their fault that people have to piece together the story. They could have released him any other time and this wouldn't be a conversation. They chose to release him 40 minutes after a story about him being a potential gang member was printed. That's on them.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 4 2014, 09:19 AM) *
He was shut down by the Saints defense and didn't produce anything until the starting CB left the game with an injury late in the game. In 6 playoff games he has 19 catches...11 of them came in his rookie season (2008). Trying to find a comparison between him and Megatron is laughable. Calvin Johnson plays the entire field and doesn't disappear in games. The same cannot be said for Jackson.

WR's are at the mercy of their QB play. Foles was tentative against the Saints. Chip said so, himself. Even still, Desean had 2 big plays that directly led to Eagles touchdowns.

Also, this:

Edit: damn, my screenshot isn't working. Either way, CJ had games that looked like this this season...

4 catches, 37 yards, 0 scores
4 caches, 44 yards, 1 score.
3 catches, 25 yards, 0 scores
3 catches, 52 yards, 0 scores
3 catches, 43 yards, 0 scores

It happens to the best of them. And CJ is definitely the best.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 4 2014, 10:20 AM) *
Nah, man. It's not my responsibility to play PR for a professional sports organization. At minimum, they did him a disservice by timing his release so it was associated with that story. You can deny it all you want, for whatever reason, but it is classless.

If that is their only crime, it's pretty shitty of them. That's what this all comes down to.

You're saying "without the complete story," but it's entirely their fault that people have to piece together the story. They could have released him any other time and this wouldn't be a conversation. They chose to release him 40 minutes after a story about him being a potential gang member was printed. That's on them.

You make it out like it would have mattered when they released him. That's not true. Let's call a spade a spade. Your issue is with the release of DJax, not the story or alleged affiliations. You don't like the fact that the team was willing to part with a pro bowl receiver without compensation. The NJ.com story could have come out months later or months before, it wouldn't have mattered.

The truth is the franchise decided that they are willing to do without the playmaking talents of a someone with questionable character issues (as a player and person - as former teammate Brian Dawkins suggested).

Most NFL teams have a policy regarding personnel moves, this is no different. We are not likely to ever have the complete story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.