Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think the real reason they let him go
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
First: They could not find any team willing to talk trade at the owner's meetings.

Second: (and more important) Vick signed with the Jets.

I think they might have kept him if Vick signed on as a backup QB, but with Vick and Avant gone, the only two vets DJ had listened to were gone. Only Trent Cole, Todd Herremans, and Brent Celek had more time with the team than Jackson. When Reid drafted him he had McNabb and Dawk, among others as veteran leaders in the locker room. There is no one left in the locker room who has any influence on Jackson at this point, so he becomes a role model for the new players...anyone see the problem here?

As a third, and less substantiated guess, I think they were also afraid of a TC hold out this year. Jackson made a comment at the end of the season that his agent had a 'good off season game plan.' If you are under contract what is a player's only recourse to force a new deal...holdout. Segal apparently has had clients do that in the past, so ask yourself, would keeping him have been worth it if that happened? Sit ups anyone?

They took a big risk here, but only after signing Maclin and Sproles, two pretty talented receivers (Sproles was not brought here to run the ball, he will fill the slot where Avant used to be). I think Maclin and Sproles can get better combined numbers than Jackson and Avant...not to mention the likelihood of drafting a WR as fast as DJ.

Given what Chip did with the pile of crap he inherited, sure there was talent but no teamwork, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. It will shake out depending on how this season goes, either DJ becomes an afterthought, or Kelly gets crap all off season next year.

Zero
So the decision came down to keeping him an Eagle w/o pay because he was holding out, accepting the distraction but making him suffer for being a prick. Or, cutting ties and accepting the fallout and the possibility of playing against him.

If that's a realistic scenario, and it does sound like it fits, I think they made the right decision for the team. They know the player and watched him put up some incredible numbers and they also saw all the tape when he was shut down. Can Boykin cover him mano y mano?

The only other thing they could have done, accepting your thesis, is to keep him around until after the draft. That would have accomplished the same thing for them but also would have stuck it to Jackson and his agent.
Jax
The fact that we surprisingly signed Cooper, Maclin and Sproles gives credibility to this theory and the fact that the decision to part with DJax was made well beforehand. Perhaps the NJ.com report just made for convenient excuse/good timing.
Jax
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 1 2014, 05:06 AM) *
So the decision came down to keeping him an Eagle w/o pay because he was holding out, accepting the distraction but making him suffer for being a prick. Or, cutting ties and accepting the fallout and the possibility of playing against him.

If that's a realistic scenario, and it does sound like it fits, I think they made the right decision for the team. They know the player and watched him put up some incredible numbers and they also saw all the tape when he was shut down. Can Boykin cover him mano y mano?

The only other thing they could have done, accepting your thesis, is to keep him around until after the draft. That would have accomplished the same thing for them but also would have stuck it to Jackson and his agent.

I agree with this but then there is the theory that somebody posted likening the situation to Buddy doing CC a favor when he cut him. Could that possibly be the case? To me, a guy with a drug problem is a little different than a straight thug.
Zero
Only thing I've seen about drugs is when he was busted for having some pot. If that's all there was, I don't consider it a serious drug problem. Maybe that tied with other behavior?
Jax
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 1 2014, 07:40 AM) *
Only thing I've seen about drugs is when he was busted for having some pot. If that's all there was, I don't consider it a serious drug problem. Maybe that tied with other behavior?

No, I meant Cris Carter and his drug issue was different than DJax and his gang banging.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.