Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My guess on the timeline on DJax
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
First off, most of this is an informed guess. Informed from media reports and quotes from coaches/players and past MO of the team, and fill the blanks by a guess where needed.

We all need to make a lot of guesses.

First the facts we know:

Howie stated reluctance to spend too much money on the WR position when he spoke about it prior to the Maclin/Cooper signings.

Chip's less than enthusiastic endorsement of DJ last week.

The recent revelation of DJ missing his exit interview.

DJ's answer to a question about wanting more guaranteed money.

DJ's lifestyle.

The Eagles past approach to cap room

D. Gunn and others reports of DJ being shopped for a trade for picks.

Previous issues DJ had with Reid.
===================================================================

I think that DJ didn't fully buy into Chip's program.
His lifestyle of late night runnings did not mesh with Chip's sleep and nutrition program
He was not a 100% effort guy. Slacked on blocking down field, gave up on plays rather than fighting to get open after first effort.
With Maclin coming back, they had to make the decision to pick two of three WR's for this year's team.
They chose Maclin and Cooper and Jackson and his 10.75M were on the outside.
If Jackson was making $4M, he'd still be here.
The 10.75M gave them the biggest bang for the buck.
They made the decision to go with Maclin and Cooper early in the offseason and sealed the deals before FA began 3/3.
Decision already made, they began trying to trade him, and got no acceptable offers up to and including the time they cut him.
They made the decision to cut ties prior to FA but decided not to do anything to avoid pressure to spend his money in FA.
After FA period essentially ended, they decided to cut ties with him, convinced his trade market wouldn't improve.
Since it was after FA, there is no pressure to spend his money and it gives the team the comfort of rolling it forward and using that money for future years' contracts.
They are now at $22.2M of cap space. This is consistent with where they like to be (23.0M carryover from '12, 26.3M at the end of FA period in '13)
I don't think there is any smoking gun that came to light in the last few weeks.

They are where they wanted to be all along. Two signed WR's coming back and another to be had in a rich WR draft and $22M of cap space to carry forward.

Most of everything else is just a diversion.
samaroo
Sounds about right to me. Either way, this seems to be where we wanted to be. And this is a good year to be drafting a WR. There's a bunch of guys I'd be happy to get at that position, and probably 2nd day, too.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 11:19 AM) *
Decision already made, they began trying to trade him, and got no acceptable offers up to and including the time they cut him.

Why didn't anyone make an acceptable offer? Any offer would be better than outright release. Money? He was due roughly $10 mil. Doesn't it make sense that, with the year he had last year that some team would at least want to talk to him to see if they could renegotiate? But supposedly Jackson and his people had no idea what was happening.

Why would the team cut a talent like Jackson to lower their cap number this year? It's next year that has concern with Foles, Kendricks, Cox, etc. This year they were good.

Sorry, Mikey. I know you're the numbers guy but this doesn't add up to me.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 30 2014, 01:34 PM) *
Why didn't anyone make an acceptable offer? Any offer would be better than outright release. Money? He was due roughly $10 mil. Doesn't it make sense that, with the year he had last year that some team would at least want to talk to him to see if they could renegotiate? But supposedly Jackson and his people had no idea what was happening.

Why would the team cut a talent like Jackson to lower their cap number this year? It's next year that has concern with Foles, Kendricks, Cox, etc. This year they were good.

Sorry, Mikey. I know you're the numbers guy but this doesn't add up to me.

If the Eagles traded him, the other team needs to assume his contract which was a 10.75M hit for this year. Not many had that much free space.

With so much money involved, teams would talk to his agent first and by not agreeing to restructure, DJ could control the market by saying to team A no restructure and Team B ( a desireable team), yes to restructure.

Regarding next year, with the new CBA, any unused money gets to be rolled forward to future years without having to use any of the not likely to be earned bs from years past.

They rolled 23M+ forward into 2013 and have 22M now which will be a little above 20M after rookies to roll into next year That's a shitload!

They just added 10.75M of real cash and 6.5M of cap space to solve next year's perceived problems.

Reading my other posts, you can see how much that actually buys in the FA market. It's significant.
Zero
I get all that. But if that's what went down then Jackson needs to change agents ... again. Reports are that he's broke and, just as you said no team would be willing to take on that contract. Knowing there were some kind of issues with the Eagles that would move them to release him could likely equal a lower contract if they start from scratch ... we're about to see on that one. Therefore, the best alternative for him would be to renegotiate his deal with a team such as the Jets (Vick), Seattle (SB), San Fran (SB) or KC (Reid).

It still doesn't add up.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 30 2014, 03:43 PM) *
I get all that. But if that's what went down then Jackson needs to change agents ... again. Reports are that he's broke and, just as you said no team would be willing to take on that contract. Knowing there were some kind of issues with the Eagles that would move them to release him could likely equal a lower contract if they start from scratch ... we're about to see on that one. Therefore, the best alternative for him would be to renegotiate his deal with a team such as the Jets (Vick), Seattle (SB), San Fran (SB) or KC (Reid).

It still doesn't add up.

If he was broke, then some guaranteed money may be more valuable to him than his current deal, even if the current deal paid more total dollars.

If other teams read the Cooper and Maclin deals (and the reported multi-year offered to Maclin) as a sign of Eagles possibility of cutting DJ, they wouldn't need to offer picks. They would just wait for him to hit the market.

We'll see how much interest he gets, That's a true indication.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 01:59 PM) *
If the Eagles traded him, the other team needs to assume his contract which was a 10.75M hit for this year. Not many had that much free space.

With so much money involved, teams would talk to his agent first and by not agreeing to restructure, DJ could control the market by saying to team A no restructure and Team B ( a desireable team), yes to restructure.

Regarding next year, with the new CBA, any unused money gets to be rolled forward to future years without having to use any of the not likely to be earned bs from years past.

They rolled 23M+ forward into 2013 and have 22M now which will be a little above 20M after rookies to roll into next year That's a shitload!

They just added 10.75M of real cash and 6.5M of cap space to solve next year's perceived problems.

Reading my other posts, you can see how much that actually buys in the FA market. It's significant.

One problem....no matter what happens a new contract would be involved and with your valuation of Jackson's worth it will be a big one....why not trade to control his rights? Why allow it to go to the open market? All those sites you cite show plenty of teams with cap space.....do you read your own stuff?lol

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 30 2014, 06:26 PM) *
One problem....no matter what happens a new contract would be involved and with your valuation of Jackson's worth it will be a big one....why not trade to control his rights? Why allow it to go to the open market? All those sites you cite show plenty of teams with cap space.....do you read your own stuff?lol

Because you have to pony up a draft pick to do that AND unless you are a desirable destination for him, he could opt to stick by his original deal and make the cap hit of a non revised deal a poison pill to a team he may not wish to go to.

Now if that team has the cap space and doesn't need to redo his deal, he may be screwed if he doesn't want to go there.

If the team doesn't have the cap space to take his deal as is and needs to restructure the deal to fit it in, then he can block that.

If the team doesn't have the cap space to take his deal as is and needs to restructure but it is a place he wants to go to, he agrees to restructure.

It's not total control, but what team wants to spend 10.75 on someone who doesn't want to go to their team?

Unlikely a team would force him to and that would kill some potential deals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.