Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What could have $10.75M cash & $6.5M of cap buy
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
By looking at overthecap.com, I looked to see what the cap and one year cash values are for the top six free agent contracts signed this year (based on average per year) and a few Eagle specific deals:

The Top Six FA contracts signed this year:

Rnk..Name.........Cash...........Cap
1.....Revis...........12.0...........7.0
2.....Ware...........13.0...........9.6
3.....Talib............12.0...........7.9
4.....Albert..........11.0...........4.2
5.....V.Davis........10.0...........6.2
6.....Byrd............12.3...........3.5
Top Six Avg.........11.7...........6.25
=========================
37...Jenkins.........6.0............2.6
TR...Sproles.........4.0............2.0
RS...Peters.........12.0............8.2
RS...Maclin..........5.5.............5.2
RS...Cooper.........5.0.............1.8
=========================

Ignoring the DJ cap contribution we just picked up, we had 16M+ left prior to that.

Point is, his cash money and cap money comes real close to covering the average of the most expensive six free agents signed this year.

If you think that top shelf isn't the Eagles style, then they could have bought two more Jenkins type level FA's with that money.

THAT is the missed opportunity IMO. We had holes to fill and if you believe that we can fill them with Jenkins level FA's, then we could have filled two more with his money. If you think we need to go top shelf to fill the need, we could have filled one of them with a top tier FA.

I wanted to show this because so many times people don't understand how much talent can be bought with $X Millions of cap space. Hopefully this gives you an idea.

samaroo
I don't think Chip is trying to build this team with talent alone. I don't think he's out to make us a boy scout troop or anything, but he wants specific things for this team at every position. And I think it's obvious that attitude, personality and character are important to him.

There isn't a single name on your list that didn't have significant question marks to go along with their significant pay checks. I still think Chip has earned the benefit of the doubt, for this season at least. I know it's boring to say it, but he won the division in year one. If the team tanks this year, maybewe'll see this as a bad move. If the team is fine, it's a good move. Let's see where this goes.
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 30 2014, 10:10 AM) *
I don't think Chip is trying to build this team with talent alone. I don't think he's out to make us a boy scout troop or anything, but he wants specific things for this team at every position. And I think it's obvious that attitude, personality and character are important to him.

There isn't a single name on your list that didn't have significant question marks to go along with their significant pay checks. I still think Chip has earned the benefit of the doubt, for this season at least. I know it's boring to say it, but he won the division in year one. If the team tanks this year, maybewe'll see this as a bad move. If the team is fine, it's a good move. Let's see where this goes.

To me it isn't about trust in Chip.

Do you think this team is better than it would have been had we not signed Jenkins, Sproles, Maclin or Cooper. (I leave out Peters and Kelce b/c they would be here anyway)

Of course not. So we trust Chip and Howie that they signed some good players that will help us.

Let's assume for a second that they made the decision that, regardless of money, Jackson was more of a distraction than his Pro Bowl season was worth.

OK, that's fine.

But to tell me that there weren't other player/players out there that we could have signed in FA with his money that would have been upgrades at PON is not reasonable.

Knowing our team (29th in D)and what was out there, there is no basis to trust Chip on that!

Trust him that DJ is a bad apple distraction not worth it, OK I can buy that. Why? Because I don't know what happens behind closed doors. And since it hasn't been reported, nobody else knows either.

Trust him that we couldn't have improved this team with DJ's money? NFW!! Why? Because I can see the holes we have on a weekly basis with my own eyes and can rely on stats, rankings and the opinions of others in the know to know we had plenty of options.

Zero
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 30 2014, 10:10 AM) *

I agree, and the whole gang association thing really bothers me. Not because there's anything illegal going on, but because I don't think any team wants that kind of mentality influencing their players.

If DeSean is hanging with those guys then there's a certain amount of that character that goes with him. But the important part, the greater risk is the threat of having those personalities coming into contact with younger, more easily influenced players. Would there be gambling implications, drug exposure or other criminal connections? Who knows, but if you're running the team do you want to take the chance?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 30 2014, 10:31 AM) *
I agree, and the whole gang association thing really bothers me. Not because there's anything illegal going on, but because I don't think any team wants that kind of mentality influencing their players.

If DeSean is hanging with those guys then there's a certain amount of that character that goes with him. But the important part, the greater risk is the threat of having those personalities coming into contact with younger, more easily influenced players. Would there be gambling implications, drug exposure or other criminal connections? Who knows, but if you're running the team do you want to take the chance?

What is "association".

The guys from LA area are speaking out saying that in that environment, everyone knows gang members and you need to know them to survive.

Is it like asshole SA Smith says, you see them and you get them tix or something b/c they helped you in the past?

Or is it that he is actually in a gang participating in crime?

Anyone who grew up in bad neighborhoods could have some criminal "associations" given the percentage of people in those areas who have done time.

Shit, about 30% of my employees have done significant time at some point. Am I a criminal associate??

We'll see.
Zero
Do you have your picture posted on the internet with active gang members flashing those hand signs? Do you have a rap studio where you actively interact with them on a regular basis?

I'm not sure if gang members are the same as gangsters, but we always heard that if you associate with gangsters then you're likely to be in their influence. Do you want your star player to be influenced by those people? To what extent?

Steven A Smith IS an asshole and even a grain of salt is too much to give his opinions.
samaroo
Mikey, who do you think we should've gotten in FA this year. Howie said if Chip had told him to write a check, he would've. They weren't the guys we wanted, for whatever reason.

I think there are big plans for the draft. I don't know if the plan is to move up or down, or get players for picks, but I think we'll be active and exciting.

I understand your frustration, but Chip is a thinker, and values being prepared. I think he's got a plan, and it centers around the draft. This is a good draft for the holes we have to fill.
bounty101
I'm definitely bummed, to say the least, that I won't see DeSean in an Eagles' uniform this year and that they got nothing in return for him. But I think the organization was going to have to move on pretty soon regardless. It's also probably a good thing for DeSean, maybe it will be a wake-up call. Or maybe we'll see him on television in the near future defending himself from accessory to murder charges.

I think at this point the Eagles are priming themselves for another long run at the Super Bowl, and when they see a player available that fits their plan so well that they don't care as much about the price tag, they'll pull the trigger, I'm sure of it.

When I look at your list there, it's highly likely that the Eagles FO hadn't targeted any of those players regardless of what their price tag was. I remember them looking at Byrd for a moment, but that was it. It looks like they have a specific plan and are adhering to it as closely as possible. Of course, it was not ideal to have to cut Jackson, but the fact that they felt it was necessary throws up some bright red flags. Either that, or they botched the situation so badly that there was no reconciling with DeSean.

I think of it this way: Eagles fans are lucky there was really no rebuilding process that took 5 or 6 years to run its course. There were three disappointing seasons in a row, but that was it (with high-priced FA acquisitions on the roster, no less). The key for the future is Nick Foles. If he continues to play as well as he did last year, without DeSean, the move will prove to be acceptable, regardless of what DeSean does over the next few years. If Foles tanks, we're screwed anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.