Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you agree with this statement re. Jackson release?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
To me, it is less about the reasons:

Gang affiliations
10.75M of money due
Missed meetings
Attitude
Lack of program compliance

Whatever. I care, but that isn't the biggest issue.

Whatever the reason, this organization weakened the team unnecessarily by waiting until after the start of free agency to cut him. Doing so gave them no viable option to improve the team thru free agency at other positions of need.

Do you agree with this statement?

Now we not only have lack of WR depth but we still have needs on D, one of which should have been addressed in free agency.
Zero
I agree that they weakened the team. But, releasing before FA means nothing. As you pointed out several times, they had/have the cap space to sign help for defense all along. They didn't, and having extra cap likely wouldn't have changed that.

No doubt releasing him the way they did is confusing. Why not do it after the season or at the beginning of FA? The timing of the release as well as the silence doesn't make sense unless something happened or is expected to happen. Did he tell Chip to fuck off? Is there some dire event that he's associated with that will come to light? Did gang bangers he's associated with contact the Eagles?

None of this adds up with the information that we have. If he doesn't get a job or is signed for peanuts and a beer then it's an indication that there's something important that we haven't heard. If he's signed commensurate with his 2013 production it would seem the Eagles fucked up or the new team either doesn't care or doesn't know.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 30 2014, 09:16 AM) *
I agree that they weakened the team. But, releasing before FA means nothing. As you pointed out several times, they had/have the cap space to sign help for defense all along. They didn't, and having extra cap likely wouldn't have changed that.

No doubt releasing him the way they did is confusing. Why not do it after the season or at the beginning of FA? The timing of the release as well as the silence doesn't make sense unless something happened or is expected to happen. Did he tell Chip to fuck off? Is there some dire event that he's associated with that will come to light? Did gang bangers he's associated with contact the Eagles?

None of this adds up with the information that we have. If he doesn't get a job or is signed for peanuts and a beer then it's an indication that there's something important that we haven't heard. If he's signed commensurate with his 2013 production it would seem the Eagles fucked up or the new team either doesn't care or doesn't know.

By releasing him before FA and going into FA with an extra $6M+ of cap space creates a potential PR problem when you have all that cap space and go light with Jenkins and Sproles.

As of today, we are 5th in cap space with 22.2M, behind CLE 31.0, NYJ 28.7, JAC 25.2, CIN 24.8M

On a cap of 133M?, that puts us at 83%. Per the new CBA, we need to be at 89% over a four year period to avoid team specific payback penalties. But I think the 89% may be a cash position not cap. I'll check on it.

But point is, it is significant enough to be below the CBA mandated minimum to avoid penalty.
Zero
You're saying the timing was a PR pillow? Maybe, but I'll be surprised if there's not some eye opening revelation some time that will validate what they did because he is a weapon and they essentially lose a draft pick by doing this because they have to replace him. Maybe there'll be a player for player trade some time, Graham for a WR?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 30 2014, 09:44 AM) *
You're saying the timing was a PR pillow? Maybe, but I'll be surprised if there's not some eye opening revelation some time that will validate what they did because he is a weapon and they essentially lose a draft pick by doing this because they have to replace him. Maybe there'll be a player for player trade some time, Graham for a WR?

Are you looking for an eye opening revelation that they didn't know about until after the start of FA, or would a revelation they knew about months or years ago suffice?
samaroo
Mikey, it doesn't seem like any revelation would be enough for you, short of buried bodies in his backyard.

I think Chip is trying to shake up this team, and the biggest name on our team wasn't really buying in. That's not good for the rest of the team. To me, it speaks volumes that Chip and Co. knew the numbers they were releasing, and did it anyway. Also, that's a hell of a message to send to the rest of the team.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 10:06 AM) *
Are you looking for an eye opening revelation that they didn't know about until after the start of FA, or would a revelation they knew about months or years ago suffice?

If it were years ago I'd be disappointed that they waited to rid themselves of the problem until they couldn't get any return. I'd have to say something that is either in the works or something that occurred but has potential of expanding.

The rumor about his gang associates showing up at Novacare would be that kind of revelation. Happens once and you dissuade them from coming around. If they're persistent then there's opportunity for serious issues developing.
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 30 2014, 10:16 AM) *
Mikey, it doesn't seem like any revelation would be enough for you, short of buried bodies in his backyard.

I think Chip is trying to shake up this team, and the biggest name on our team wasn't really buying in. That's not good for the rest of the team. To me, it speaks volumes that Chip and Co. knew the numbers they were releasing, and did it anyway. Also, that's a hell of a message to send to the rest of the team.

Sammy, I think you miss my beef.

If Chip didn't want him on the team because of x,y or z, than that is his call. It would be nice if they had the balls to speak about it, but maybe that will come later.

It could be the fact that he didn't go to his exit interview, fine. While I may think it a little na´ve in the NFL world of dubious character and backgrounds, so be it.

But there is no excuse not to cut ties when you could have used his money and cap space to get some talent. We all heard how the trade market was dry. OK then.

Cut him and use the money to get talent.

Would I feel a little better if they found a smoking gun, yes, if it was within the last few weeks. But it is not necessary.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 10:31 AM) *
But there is no excuse not to cut ties when you could have used his money and cap space to get some talent.
Where you lose me is that, as you've already demonstrated they had the money already. To quote a famous personality, "at this point, what difference does it make?" devil03.gif
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 11:31 AM) *
Sammy, I think you miss my beef.

If Chip didn't want him on the team because of x,y or z, than that is his call. It would be nice if they had the balls to speak about it, but maybe that will come later.

It could be the fact that he didn't go to his exit interview, fine. While I may think it a little na´ve in the NFL world of dubious character and backgrounds, so be it.

But there is no excuse not to cut ties when you could have used his money and cap space to get some talent. We all heard how the trade market was dry. OK then.

Cut him and use the money to get talent.

Would I feel a little better if they found a smoking gun, yes, if it was within the last few weeks. But it is not necessary.

When the x, y, and z reasons that they are releasing him for could be construed as defaming his character, it is not about having the balls to admit it. It IS about avoiding lawsuits. Where and when have you seen any team list the reasons a player is released?

Again Mike, Chip did not draft DJax or up his contract, that was all Reid. He kept him last year and despite the numbers, he decided he was not a good fit for his team, so he cuts him. I think once Vick signed w the Jets, and with Avant gone, the two guys who kept DeSean manageable were gone and he did not want to deal w his issues going forward.

As far as weakening the team, not so sure, w Maclin and Sproles now on the roster, I'm pretty sure that between those two additions you can surpass the loss. Not to mention they probably draft a WR in the draft.
samaroo
Agreed. I don't think the Eagles would have gained anything by "bad mouthing" him on the way out. With his past and current problems (real or perceived) saying nothing is probably the classiest wayto go, publicly. Remember Cris Carter?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.