Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chiefs not interested in Jackson
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Eyrie
Linc

Is it possible that there were concerns about Jackson when he got his new contract with us and that it was made clear to him at the time of signing that he had to address those concerns?

And if so that would explain why Reid, who knows exactly what Jackson can do (having both drafted and extended him) isn't interested.

Zero
Even though Andy isn't the GM and apparently doesn't have personnel power, it's very relevant if they're not interested considering Andy's intimate knowledge of the player. That says he's off to Washington next. Washington, D.C.??? It must be pretty bad if he'd consider playing for Snyder's team!
nephillymike
Was the Ari game when Reid benched him after or before he signed his new deal? If after, it would definitely be a reason why.
koolaidluke
The Chiefs barely have enough money to sign their rookies. They were never seriously in the running.

Phits
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 30 2014, 10:08 AM) *
The Chiefs barely have enough money to sign their rookies. They were never seriously in the running.

This is a "Pro-Bowl, future HOF player" that is suddenly on the market as a free agent....you can make the space if the player is worth it
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 30 2014, 12:59 PM) *
This is a "Pro-Bowl, future HOF player" that is suddenly on the market as a free agent....you can make the space if the player is worth it

Future HOFer??

Hold on there Babalooey!!

He won't sniff the HOF.

Problem with this post is that it is only successful if DJ doesn't sign anywhere for big bucks. Once he does, then it means there was a market for him.

If he signs somewhere, the fact that the cap strapped Chiefs pass on him is not a big deal.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 01:10 PM) *
Future HOFer??

Hold on there Babalooey!!

He won't sniff the HOF.

Problem with this post is that it is only successful if DJ doesn't sign anywhere for big bucks. Once he does, then it means there was a market for him.

If he signs somewhere, the fact that the cap strapped Chiefs pass on him is not a big deal.

Wait a minute. If he signs for big bucks that means EITHER the Eagles blew it or the new team blew it. If there was a market for him as you say, why didn't anyone trade for him?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 30 2014, 01:40 PM) *
Wait a minute. If he signs for big bucks that means EITHER the Eagles blew it or the new team blew it. If there was a market for him as you say, why didn't anyone trade for him?

1. When you trade for someone, you need to assume his contract. 12.75 cap hit this year is a biggy for most teams.

2. If teams knew of problems with Chip and DJ, why trade for a 12.75M cap hit when you can do nothing and hope he gets cut and you can do a cap friendly deal,and maybe at a lower amount too?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 02:45 PM) *
1. When you trade for someone, you need to assume his contract. 12.75 cap hit this year is a biggy for most teams.

2. If teams knew of problems with Chip and DJ, why trade for a 12.75M cap hit when you can do nothing and hope he gets cut and you can do a cap friendly deal,and maybe at a lower amount too?

Yup. There's a lucky team out there that will pick up a dynamic WR for a discount. Maybe even SF - and they can even introduce him to the local gangs, maybe he'll
befriend Chris Culliver.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 01:45 PM) *

You said if he signs for big bucks. A re-do of his current deal could still be big bucks but a lesser hit for the team signing him. And, how would they know about his problems with Chip? Even if they did, would a given team interested in a dynamic player like Jackson think that they would be the ONLY team interested? That argument doesn't make sense.
JeeQ
Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

#Chiefs & Andy Reid were intrigued by DeSean Jackson, but with limited cap space, can’t match the budding open market. Would’ve loved DeSean

wub.gif

According to multiple reports, the Redskins intend to make a serious bid to lock up Jackson’s services tomorrow, and Jackson is excited about the prospect of joining the Redskins.

dry.gif
koolaidluke
I think the Redskins would be the perfect fit for Jackson. RGIII isn't great but he is a great deep thrower.

That team is a mess but at least Desean will get a chance to put up some numbers.
Eyrie
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 30 2014, 09:07 PM) *

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

#Chiefs & Andy Reid were intrigued by DeSean Jackson, but with limited cap space, can’t match the budding open market. Would’ve loved DeSean

wub.gif

So why didn't they trade for him? They could have arranged a cap friendly restructure, turning most of the 2014 money into a signing bonus.
nephillymike
    QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 30 2014, 04:47 PM) *
    wub.gif

So why didn't they trade for him? They could have arranged a cap friendly restructure, turning most of the 2014 money into a signing bonus.

Aren't they in such bad cap shape that even a restructure cap hit is too much?
    Eyrie
    QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 10:53 PM) *

I don't know the specifics in KC, but for an onfield talent like Jackson a way can be found even if it means problems in a year or two. Say $10m SB for four years and vet minimum for 2014 - strikes me as very doable.
      HOUSEoPAIN
      QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 30 2014, 04:51 PM) *
      That team is a mess but at least Desean will get a chance to put up some numbers.

Yeah, against us twice a year.....
      nephillymike
      QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 04:53 PM) *

Actually, they are at 4.6M less 1.6M for rookies so about 3.0M for 51 players. Assume rookie minimum for the last two spots and you,re looking at 2M. Not enough cap room.
        Phits
        QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 02:10 PM) *
        He won't sniff the HOF.

I agree...notice the "quotes" I placed around HOF? It was in reference to a poster that made the original comment.
        Phits
        QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 06:01 PM) *
        Actually, they are at 4.6M less 1.6M for rookies so about 3.0M for 51 players. Assume rookie minimum for the last two spots and you,re looking at 2M. Not enough cap room.

C'mon Mikey, those are the current numbers. Contracted players could restructure their deals to help make the space.
        HOUSEoPAIN
        QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 30 2014, 06:38 PM) *
        I agree...notice the "quotes" I placed around HOF? It was in reference to a poster that made the original comment.

He won't be in the HOF. But he's already one of the top 3 receivers in Eagles history, at age 27.
        nephillymike
        QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 30 2014, 05:43 PM) *
        C'mon Mikey, those are the current numbers. Contracted players could restructure their deals to help make the space.

Sure they could. But didn't they have to do that already to a few to avoid a mass exodus of players for cap reasons?

Even after they did that, many Chiefs went elsewhere b/c they had no cap space.

Most times cap room is easily made. In KC case, I don't think it is this year.

KC is a bad example this year.
        JeeQ
        QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 30 2014, 03:00 PM) *
        Yeah, against us twice a year.....

I'm just giddy with excitement at the thought of our excellent defense facing off against RGIII, DJax, and Garcon two times a year. It's amazing how our WR core went from the best in the NFC:East to the worst practically overnight.

Cowboys have Dez Bryant (Pro-Bowler)
        Giants have Victor Cruz (Pro-Bowler)
        Redskins will have DeSean Jackson (Pro-Bowler)
        Eagles have a pussy coming off an ACL tear and a racist
        Phits
        QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 30 2014, 06:50 PM) *
        He won't be in the HOF. But he's already one of the top 3 receivers in Eagles history, at age 27.

Given our history with that position, how great an accomplishment is that in the grand scheme of things? Considering Jason Avant is (statistically)in the top 10.

DeSean was good/great for fly patterns and end arounds. He was scared or too small to go over the middle. He was frustrating sometimes as he would just disappear in games. He was never a got-to receiver when you needed a first down. He was a hit or miss long ball threat. Yes, he demanded a safety over top, but he was a liability in the run game with his blocking. Ideally They will get a +6'2 +215 pound receiver in the draft that won't be as fast DeSean, but he will make up for that lack of people with a big body that can jump up to grab a ball and be able to physically take a hit over the middle. He'll help move the chains and be a serviceable in the red zone. Now they have 10 million to sign a committed "CHIP' player with talent. Not one who decides what downs he'll give effort on and which one's he won't.

I enjoyed his time here. When he chose to play he could be very exciting. However, when you review the game logs (including playoffs) his performances are underwhelming.

Last season he had 1300+ yards almost half of those yards came in 4 games. he was no where to be found in the Saints playoff game. his X factor is punt returns (was punt returns) and was not very electric last season when called upon.
        Phits
        QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 30 2014, 07:01 PM) *
        I'm just giddy with excitement at the thought of our excellent defense facing off against RGIII, DJax, and Garcon two times a year. It's amazing how our WR core went from the best in the NFC:East to the worst practically overnight.

Cowboys have Dez Bryant (Pro-Bowler)
        Giants have Victor Cruz (Pro-Bowler)
        Redskins will have DeSean Jackson (Pro-Bowler)
        Eagles have a pussy coming off an ACL tear and a racist

I've always said that Maclin is a better WR than DJax. Jeremy makes a better option at #1.
        Reality Fan
        QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 01:45 PM) *

Whoa horsey.....

If you trade for him now you prevent overpaying for him on the open market bidding against all these suitors you assume he is going to have......I mean come on....he is superman so plenty of teams are going to pony up big bucks and if that is the case taking on his salary could be a bargain and then you renegotiate his contract and extend him and ease the cap hit.

Wait and see how much he gets on the open market....it should be interesting.....no one has swept in with a bag of money yet....but I guess that is because of the big bad Eagles FO.....lol
        nephillymike
        QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 30 2014, 06:18 PM) *
        Whoa horsey.....

If you trade for him now you prevent overpaying for him on the open market bidding against all these suitors you assume he is going to have......I mean come on....he is superman so plenty of teams are going to pony up big bucks and if that is the case taking on his salary could be a bargain and then you renegotiate his contract and extend him and ease the cap hit.

Wait and see how much he gets on the open market....it should be interesting.....no one has swept in with a bag of money yet....but I guess that is because of the big bad Eagles FO.....lol

He was due 10.75 cold hard from us this year.

Your guess as to what he gets SB, RB and first year salary this year from his new team is??
        Reality Fan
        QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 07:05 PM) *
        He was due 10.75 cold hard from us this year.

Your guess as to what he gets SB, RB and first year salary this year from his new team is??

That is my point....if he is the superstud you say he gets huge SB and a ton of guaranteed money....why take the risk? Why go to auction when you can buy him out from under everyone? If you trade for him he is yours to negotiate with and he has little leverage because the word is already out that he is a malcontent so he has to behave year 1.
        Jax
        QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 30 2014, 06:15 PM) *
        I've always said that Maclin is a better WR than DJax. Jeremy makes a better option at #1.

That's questionable if Maclin were healthy. Coming off injury that is a strong statement. I hope Maclin gives that argument some merit this year.
        Zero
        Zing! The Jets have his friend, Vick, his old OC, Mornhinweg and an owner who risked tampering to tell everyone he was interested in Jackson.
        If there was any team that made the most sense for DeSean Jackson to land as soon as the Eagles released him, it seemed to be the New York Jets. The Jets could offer Jackson a contract without having to worry about being able to afford him; they have the second most cap room in the entire league. Heck, even New York Jets owner Woody Johnson commented on his team's interest in Jackson last week when the wide receiver was still under contract with the Eagles! Former Eagles connection also exist: QB Michael Vick and offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg are already employed by the Jets. Speaking of Mornhinweg, he was reportedly open to reuniting with Jackson. But more significantly, Jets GM John Idzik was not!
        I'm waiting for the black ball accusations.
        JeeQ
        QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 30 2014, 04:15 PM) *

He's never been better than DeSean before but hopefully this year will be different. I hear ACL tears are great for improvement.
        nephillymike
        QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 30 2014, 07:32 PM) *
        Zing! The Jets have his friend, Vick, his old OC, Mornhinweg and an owner who risked tampering to tell everyone he was interested in Jackson.
        I'm waiting for the black ball accusations.

See if they and others get in the bidding race for him.

Maybe the Jets GM will tell us what he knows.
        Or maybe this was a knee jerk reaction to the still unsubstantiated involvement in gang crime that came out Friday.

You gonna sign DJ the guy under investigation for gang related crimes? Hell no!

Oh, he's not under investigation? OK, we'll bring him in for a look see.
        This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
        Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.