Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Putting things in perspective
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HOUSEoPAIN
Thanks to the 49ers for adding some perspective to the DJax situation.

So Chris Culliver, hardly a 'star' (though a good CB on an excellent team), hit a cyclist, attempted to flee, was blocked off by another car, got out of his car and threatened the
witness with brass knuckles, got back in his car, and drove off, hitting the witness's car as he left. The 49ers released this statement:

"We will remain in contact with Chris and the local authorities as we continue to gather the facts regarding this situation. As this is an ongoing legal matter, we will reserve
further comment at this time.

Oh yeah, and on top of that he's the one who made anti-gay remarks before the Super Bowl a couple years ago. Who wants to bet he's still a 49er this season?

So DJax is friends with gangbangers, flashes gang signs, makes a rap video, and has a bad attitude - yet he has, to our knowledge, committed no crimes, and has stayed
relatively clean off the field, while putting up monster numbers on the field. Naturally, we cut him.

As JeeQ has been saying - guess who's gonna be in the NFCCG next year? And guess who isn't?

Zero
What do we know about why Jackson was released? What facts do we have?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 29 2014, 04:19 PM) *
What do we know about why Jackson was released? What facts do we have?

The facts we have are that he has not been charged with a crime, the cops don't consider him a suspect in any crime, Chip told him to keep working out, he gets paid $10
million if he's on this team, and he has a bad attitude. It would be really freaking nice if we had more facts about losing our pro-bowler, eh?

BTW, carrying brass knuckles in CA is punishable by up to a year in prison. Carrying, not using or threatening. We'll see Culliver in SF's mini camp before long.....
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 29 2014, 04:23 PM) *
The facts we have are that he has not been charged with a crime, the cops don't consider him a suspect in any crime, Chip told him to keep working out, he gets paid $10
million if he's on this team, and he has a bad attitude. It would be really freaking nice if we had more facts about losing our pro-bowler, eh?

BTW, carrying brass knuckles in CA is punishable by up to a year in prison. Carrying, not using or threatening. We'll see Culliver in SF's mini camp before long.....

Didn't your mother ever ask you, 'if your friend jumped off a building, would you?'

Why do you think it is a valid argument to make? Ask yourself this, would Kelly have ever drafted DeSean? I doubt it, football is not just played with talent, Chip values a strong work ethic to make that talent better. I don't think DJ has that kind of mindset. You can rant all you like about why you don't like this, but I doubt you understand or value the reasons the Eagles made this choice. Seems like you have the 'win at any cost' mentality, while Chip has the 'do it the right way' approach. We will see who knows best.

Just remember, there is no shame not knowing the answer to a question, but when you think you have all the answers you ignore possibilities that might lead to a better answer.
HOUSEoPAIN
Why do you think it is a valid argument to make? Ask yourself this, would Kelly have ever drafted DeSean? I doubt it, football is not just played with talent, Chip values a
strong work ethic to make that talent better. I don't think DJ has that kind of mindset. You can rant all you like about why you don't like this, but I doubt you understand or
value the reasons the Eagles made this choice. Seems like you have the 'win at any cost' mentality, while Chip has the 'do it the right way' approach. We will see who knows
best.

As I've clearly stated, if Chip and the Eagles don't want to deal with DJax because of his attitude (not to mention his salary), then come out and say it. My opinion is they
aren't doing this because they know damn well the fans wouldn't be happy with it. Saying it's because of his 'gang ties' is a cop out, and a convenient excuse designed to
help him and the organization save face. Ray Rice beats up his girlfriend on camera, Chris Culliver just pulled a Grand Theft Auto stunt, and two-time SB champ and future
HOF'er Ray Lewis was an accomplice to two murders, not to mention Michael Vick being our starter going into last year with his past. DJax has not committed any crimes
that we know of, and is not being accused of doing such by anyone.

Come out and tell the truth, that Chip doesn't want to deal with him. Stop lying and telling us that all of a sudden his long and well-known ties to the Crips suddenly
are an issue. That's all.

Zero
But they haven't said anything. They didn't say anything about money. They didn't say anything about gangs. They didn't say anything about meetings. They didn't say anything.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 29 2014, 05:43 PM) *
As I've clearly stated, if Chip and the Eagles don't want to deal with DJax because of his attitude (not to mention his salary), then come out and say it. My opinion is they
aren't doing this because they know damn well the fans wouldn't be happy with it. Saying it's because of his 'gang ties' is a cop out, and a convenient excuse designed to
help him and the organization save face. Ray Rice beats up his girlfriend on camera, Chris Culliver just pulled a Grand Theft Auto stunt, and two-time SB champ and future
HOF'er Ray Lewis was an accomplice to two murders, not to mention Michael Vick being our starter going into last year with his past. DJax has not committed any crimes
that we know of, and is not being accused of doing such by anyone.

Come out and tell the truth, that Chip doesn't want to deal with him. Stop lying and telling us that all of a sudden his long and well-known ties to the Crips suddenly
are an issue. That's all.

I did not realize they called you personally and said it was the gang ties or any reason at all.......the rest of the world has not been told a thing........or did the Eagles hire the media to run their FO?

When did media speculation become an Eagles press release? Did I miss the Eagles expounding on this:

After careful consideration during this off-season, the Philadelphia Eagles have decided to part ways with DeSean Jackson. The team informed him of his release today.

That is what the Eagles have actually said....did you have a sit down with Howie or Jeff or Chip? Which one?

And ask New England how they feel about those harmless gang affiliations......
koolaidluke
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 29 2014, 05:43 PM) *
help him and the organization save face.

Yes. Absolutely.

We have multiple credible sources now saying that Desean was out because Kelly did not want him here. And that makes total sense. The guy misses meetings, argues with coaches, dogs it in practice and sometimes even in games, sets a terrible example for the younger players and doesn't really fit what Kelly wants at receiver.

And yet, despite the fact that it is clear that that is all there is behind this we STILL have people insisting up and down that there is more out there that will be coming out any day now...

To me it is an insult to the fan base to blow all this smoke. If Chip doesn't want the guy he doesn't need to justify that to anyone, he's the boss. But trying to deflect attention with this gangster stuff is bullshit.

That said, the "Desean is a thug campaign" I am pretty sure is coming from the FO, because the FO actually cares what the fans think. Chip is blameless in this as far as I am concerned but the FO has handled this in a very unimpressive and, I think, cowardly fashion.

I still consider the Eagles one of the premier organizations in the NFL but they should be embarrassed by this.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 29 2014, 08:35 PM) *
I did not realize they called you personally and said it was the gang ties or any reason at all.......the rest of the world has not been told a thing........or did the Eagles hire the media to run their FO?

When did media speculation become an Eagles press release? Did I miss the Eagles expounding on this:

After careful consideration during this off-season, the Philadelphia Eagles have decided to part ways with DeSean Jackson. The team informed him of his release today.

That is what the Eagles have actually said....did you have a sit down with Howie or Jeff or Chip? Which one?

Geez, both HOP and Luke have made up their minds with no proof to back it up, they must be members of the tea party.
JeeQ
If they didn't feel like DeSean was worth 10 million and they didn't want to pay him that kind of money I could absolutely understand that. Happens all that time, especially in this organization... but tell me that.

If Chip doesn't like DeSean's diva attitude, and let's face it Chip is new to the NFL and therefore isn't used to dealing with superstars, I could absolutely understand that. Even Andy had to suspend DeSean before for attitude problems... but tell me that.

Releasing DeSean 35 minutes after a character assassinating article is released and choosing to say nothing as to why you're releasing him is beyond low. Because in this instance the silence from the Eagles is speaking volumes. Did the Eagles specifically say a reason as to why they released him? No, they didn't, but they did release him 35 minutes after the article was released and have yet to say anything to the contrary.

The amount of people who are willing to accept that article as gospel, while simultaneously ignoring the fact the Eagles knew about everything listed prior to his new contract is disgusting to me. I don't care how you feel about DeSean but there's no denying he was the most exciting playmaker on the roster, and one of the most dynamic players ever on an Eagles roster. But not only that he was ours. We've never drafted a Pro-Bowl WR as long as I've been a fan and now we have a 3-time Pro-Bowler. He loves being an Eagle, he wants to retire an Eagle, he's on pace to be the greatest WR in Eagle history...

So we release him without giving a reason, allow his character to be assassinated, lie to him about his situation with the team, and don't offer a single word of praise about him after he's gone. That's sleazy, that's slimy, that's sickening. Almost as if everything he did for the Eagles organization was meaningless. Then I think about McNabb and Dawkins, and sadly it's right on par for this organization. This is the hardest time I've ever had being a fan of this team right now.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 29 2014, 08:11 PM) *
Yes. Absolutely.

We have multiple credible sources now saying that Desean was out because Kelly did not want him here. And that makes total sense. The guy misses meetings, argues with coaches, dogs it in practice and sometimes even in games, sets a terrible example for the younger players and doesn't really fit what Kelly wants at receiver.

And yet, despite the fact that it is clear that that is all there is behind this we STILL have people insisting up and down that there is more out there that will be coming out any day now...

To me it is an insult to the fan base to blow all this smoke. If Chip doesn't want the guy he doesn't need to justify that to anyone, he's the boss. But trying to deflect attention with this gangster stuff is bullshit.

That said, the "Desean is a thug campaign" I am pretty sure is coming from the FO, because the FO actually cares what the fans think. Chip is blameless in this as far as I am concerned but the FO has handled this in a very unimpressive and, I think, cowardly fashion.

I still consider the Eagles one of the premier organizations in the NFL but they should be embarrassed by this.

Your pretty sure?

The "desean is a thug" campaign comes from the way the guy comported himself and it is a persona he cultivated trying to pump up Jacpot Records. The media speculation is based on what he does and has done for the last 6 years. Now I get that the FO could come out and say a lot of things about this but the question is why? I get that some here are having coronaries and maybe rightly so but many in the region are not. The other night I forget what sports news I was watching from Philly and the number in favor of the release was over 65%. That being said what can the Eagles say that would make you feel better and not open themselves up to a lawsuit from Jackson? I keep forgetting the lack of business knowledge pervasive here. Beyond that, what do they owe this guy? The guy admitting quitting in games over a contract dispute and then brought up his contract again after getting owned in a playoff game in single coverage.(3 catches for 53 yards) All that after a season of apparent disregard for team rules.

The simple truth is they can't win with some fans no matter what they say so the best course is to say nothing, avoid legal issues and move on. Notable is that Jackson thanked the Eagles organization when he could have said nothing good or bad about them.....that speaks volumes. This horrible organization that did him so wrong released him early allowing him to get a deal elsewhere now rather than later when teams have their plans more in place.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 29 2014, 09:28 PM) *
Geez, both HOP and Luke have made up their minds with no proof to back it up, they must be members of the tea party.

I do have proof. At least 2 sources (Sal Pal and Westbrook) with contacts in the Eagles org have said that the issue was primarily about Kelly not wanting to deal with Desean's attitude. He regarded Desean as a negative influence to the younger players. This is also why the anonymous (almost certainly Jason Kelce and Connor Barwin) players were so happy to see DeSean go, they knew what a pain in the ass he was in the locker room.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 29 2014, 07:34 PM) *
Your pretty sure?

The "desean is a thug" campaign comes from the way the guy comported himself and it is a persona he cultivated trying to pump up Jacpot Records. The media speculation is based on what he does and has done for the last 6 years. Now I get that the FO could come out and say a lot of things about this but the question is why? I get that some here are having coronaries and maybe rightly so but many in the region are not. The other night I forget what sports news I was watching from Philly and the number in favor of the release was over 65%. That being said what can the Eagles say that would make you feel better and not open themselves up to a lawsuit from Jackson? I keep forgetting the lack of business knowledge pervasive here. Beyond that, what do they owe this guy? The guy admitting quitting in games over a contract dispute and then brought up his contract again after getting owned in a playoff game in single coverage.(3 catches for 53 yards) All that after a season of apparent disregard for team rules.

The simple truth is they can't win with some fans no matter what they say so the best course is to say nothing, avoid legal issues and move on. Notable is that Jackson thanked the Eagles organization when he could have said nothing good or bad about them.....that speaks volumes. This horrible organization that did him so wrong released him early allowing him to get a deal elsewhere now rather than later when teams have their plans more in place.

There's no possible way you think DeSean wrote that farewell letter. Have you ever seen his instagram/twitter? laugh.gif
koolaidluke
I don't think the org did Desean wrong at all. I think they did the fans wrong by not being honest about why they were releasing the guy.

They didn't release a statement and I'm cool with that. They made their case through leaks to the press, and I'm cool with that too.

No need to lie though that they were getting rid of Desean because of his lifestyle when in fact they are getting rid of him because Chip feels like he hurts the team's culture AND is easily replaceable. Those are great reasons to release a guy who is making 10.5 mil. Don't insult our intelligence.
koolaidluke
The amount of people who are willing to accept that article as gospel, while simultaneously ignoring the fact the Eagles knew about everything listed prior to his new contract

And that really is the issue.

This has nothing to do with:
A) Chip as a coach
B The Eagles as an organization
C) Whether or not Desean deserved to be cut for his gang affiliations
D) Whether or not getting rid of Desean was the right decision

This is about is the "The Eagles are cutting Desean cause he's a gangbanger" line legit? I am convinced that it is not and the Eagles FO is throwing it out there for PR.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 29 2014, 10:35 PM) *
I do have proof. At least 2 sources (Sal Pal and Westbrook) with contacts in the Eagles org have said that the issue was primarily about Kelly not wanting to deal with Desean's attitude. He regarded Desean as a negative influence to the younger players. This is also why the anonymous (almost certainly Jason Kelce and Connor Barwin) players were so happy to see DeSean go, they knew what a pain in the ass he was in the locker room.

Still no one from the FO, just the rumor mill around Novacare. The FO will say nothing more than what they already did, and they shouldn't. Tell me what team airs the dirty laundry when they cut guys who are a problem?

BTW, what you have is hearsay, not proof.
Phits
The issue is Desean's (negative) influence over the other players and Chip not wanting his work ethic and general attitude to counter act what he is trying to accomplish for this franchise. This influence could be his lack of dedication to the team's doctrine or his associations (gang or otherwise)

QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 29 2014, 11:03 PM) *
The amount of people who are willing to accept that article as gospel, while simultaneously ignoring the fact the Eagles knew about everything listed prior to his new contract

And that really is the issue.

This has nothing to do with:
A) Chip as a coach
B The Eagles as an organization
C) Whether or not Desean deserved to be cut for his gang affiliations
D) Whether or not getting rid of Desean was the right decision

This is about is the "The Eagles are cutting Desean cause he's a gangbanger" line legit? I am convinced that it is not and the Eagles FO is throwing it out there for PR.

Zero
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 29 2014, 09:28 PM) *

Maybe we should keep political fantasies out of the conversation.
Zero
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 29 2014, 09:35 PM) *

I have no idea what kind of reporter Westbrook is, but Sal Pal is a hack who's made a living with guesses and inaccuracies. Even if they're both solid reporters though, it's NOT proof any more than those reporters who are telling the other side of the story.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 29 2014, 08:35 PM) *

They obviously felt pretty damn indifferent about it, even when Hernandez went to Belichick for help saying he was scared. Of course, once it came out that he personally
executed someone, they had to part ways with him.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 29 2014, 10:28 PM) *

And you've just excused yourself from the conversation. Let the men talk.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 29 2014, 10:30 PM) *
If they didn't feel like DeSean was worth 10 million and they didn't want to pay him that kind of money I could absolutely understand that. Happens all that time, especially in this organization... but tell me that.

If Chip doesn't like DeSean's diva attitude, and let's face it Chip is new to the NFL and therefore isn't used to dealing with superstars, I could absolutely understand that. Even Andy had to suspend DeSean before for attitude problems... but tell me that.

Releasing DeSean 35 minutes after a character assassinating article is released and choosing to say nothing as to why you're releasing him is beyond low. Because in this instance the silence from the Eagles is speaking volumes. Did the Eagles specifically say a reason as to why they released him? No, they didn't, but they did release him 35 minutes after the article was released and have yet to say anything to the contrary.

The amount of people who are willing to accept that article as gospel, while simultaneously ignoring the fact the Eagles knew about everything listed prior to his new contract is disgusting to me. I don't care how you feel about DeSean but there's no denying he was the most exciting playmaker on the roster, and one of the most dynamic players ever on an Eagles roster. But not only that he was ours. We've never drafted a Pro-Bowl WR as long as I've been a fan and now we have a 3-time Pro-Bowler. He loves being an Eagle, he wants to retire an Eagle, he's on pace to be the greatest WR in Eagle history...

So we release him without giving a reason, allow his character to be assassinated, lie to him about his situation with the team, and don't offer a single word of praise about him after he's gone. That's sleazy, that's slimy, that's sickening. Almost as if everything he did for the Eagles organization was meaningless. Then I think about McNabb and Dawkins, and sadly it's right on par for this organization. This is the hardest time I've ever had being a fan of this team right now.

Perfectly stated. An offseason that started out so promising is now beginning to make Ruben Amaro look like Branch Rickey. It's beyond absurd to think this was about
anything other than Chip not wanting to deal with him. Be honest with your fan base, not all of us are ignorant and blindly believe anything you say. Geez, this reminds me
of when we had to deal with halfwit fans who thought Andy knew how to manage a clock.
make_it_rain
I'm just done with this whole situation. I don't know what happened, nor do I think we will know. In my opinion, it was a very questionable move, that could potentially be a black mark on this franchise. We'll see. What's done is done.

The real question is...

rumor has it that Alex Henery is quite the gang banger, how is he still on the team with his known connections to the Bloods? cool.gif
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 30 2014, 01:42 PM) *
And you've just excused yourself from the conversation. Let the men talk.

Screw u HOP, what makes u a man? Because you can safely sit behind your keyboard, spout your opinions and disparage anyone who disagrees with you? Real men are open to opinions that don't jive with theirs, bullies like you believe they have all the answers and demonstrate how narrow minded they are by putting down or labeling those who disagree with them.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 29 2014, 03:17 PM) *
Thanks to the 49ers for adding some perspective to the DJax situation.

So Chris Culliver, hardly a 'star' (though a good CB on an excellent team), hit a cyclist, attempted to flee, was blocked off by another car, got out of his car and threatened the
witness with brass knuckles, got back in his car, and drove off, hitting the witness's car as he left. The 49ers released this statement:

"We will remain in contact with Chris and the local authorities as we continue to gather the facts regarding this situation. As this is an ongoing legal matter, we will reserve
further comment at this time.

Oh yeah, and on top of that he's the one who made anti-gay remarks before the Super Bowl a couple years ago. Who wants to bet he's still a 49er this season?

So DJax is friends with gangbangers, flashes gang signs, makes a rap video, and has a bad attitude - yet he has, to our knowledge, committed no crimes, and has stayed
relatively clean off the field, while putting up monster numbers on the field. Naturally, we cut him.

As JeeQ has been saying - guess who's gonna be in the NFCCG next year? And guess who isn't?

If Chip thinks he's going to win a SB with 53 high character choir boys, he's sadly mistaken.

If he thinks he's going to win a SB with 53 men who don't question in some degree the way things are done, he's sadly mistaken.

If he prefers not to pay $10.75M to one of those guys who doesn't fully buy in to his program, than that is his decision.

If he thinks that we are good enough to win the SB without spending that $10.75M in other positions of immediate need, he's sadly mistaken.

As long as the team progresses he's fine.

If that doesn't happen, Chipper will find out real soon he's not in Eugene anymore.

He's been around the block. He's been with enough good teams to know you need all types to win.

That's a fact that escapes most of the fan base though.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 30 2014, 01:57 PM) *
rumor has it that Alex Henery is quite the gang banger, how is he still on the team with his known connections to the Bloods? cool.gif

Him and his crew used to terrorize Omaha, before he changed his life around and became a placekicker.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 02:06 PM) *
If Chip thinks he's going to win a SB with 53 high character choir boys, he's sadly mistaken.

If he thinks he's going to win a SB with 53 men who don't question in some degree the way things are done, he's sadly mistaken.

If he prefers not to pay $10.75M to one of those guys who doesn't fully buy in to his program, than that is his decision.

If he thinks that we are good enough to win the SB without spending that $10.75M in other positions of immediate need, he's sadly mistaken.

As long as the team progresses he's fine.

If that doesn't happen, Chipper will find out real soon he's not in Eugene anymore.

He's been around the block. He's been with enough good teams to know you need all types to win.

That's a fact that escapes most of the fan base though.

Honestly Mike, from what you have seen from Chip since he took over this team, do you really think he made this decision without doing at least a cost/benefit analysis? Kelly has all the earmarks of a guy who makes decisions based on a scientific style of analysis, so I do not think for a minute that he did not consider many factors before choosing to release Jackson.

I am quite sure he has a plan for going forward, he seems to have a plan for everything, so why get your britches all twisted before waiting to see what happens next?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 30 2014, 02:00 PM) *
Real men are open to opinions that don't jive with theirs, bullies like you believe they have all the answers and demonstrate how narrow minded they are by putting down or
labeling those who disagree with them.

I agree - here was your post:

It seems to me that you don't fit your own description of what a man is. Now go lie down little boy, let the men talk.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 30 2014, 12:57 PM) *

Alex Henery is money on any kicks from 25 yards or less. I don't like it, but I can understand that for a talent like that sometimes the organization is gonna look the other way.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 30 2014, 02:18 PM) *
I agree - here was your post:

It seems to me that you don't fit your own description of what a man is. Now go lie down little boy, let the men talk.

That was a joke, but you now have leveled two disparaging remarks about me. Doubt you would have the guts to say something like that if I was standing in front of you. (Yes that was a disparaging remark about your manhood internet tough guy that you are)
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 30 2014, 01:17 PM) *
Honestly Mike, from what you have seen from Chip since he took over this team, do you really think he made this decision without doing at least a cost/benefit analysis? Kelly has all the earmarks of a guy who makes decisions based on a scientific style of analysis, so I do not think for a minute that he did not consider many factors before choosing to release Jackson.

I am quite sure he has a plan for going forward, he seems to have a plan for everything, so why get your britches all twisted before waiting to see what happens next?

We will all wait.

The timing seems like a mistake to me. Chip doesn't have NFL experience to warrant trust in timing of things.

I am assuming that nothing new happened in the last three weeks to put him over the edge. If it comes out that he is arrested for some crazy shit and it all went down in the last few weeks than this doesn't apply.

Given that, if you are done with DJ, with I can be OK with BTW as he's no where near a favorite of mine, you need to get something for him.

There are two ways to get something for him:
1. Trade him to another team
2. Cut him and use his money to buy some talent to improve the team.

OK, we've heard for weeks, they tried #1, and apparently, there were no takers. OK. Why was that?
1. Issues with DJ that were well known
2. Compromised value because they thought he would be cut
3. Few teams able to fit his contract with 12.75 cap hit under their cap.

A combination of all three probably.

Now they try to trade him and get no acceptable deal. At February 28th, with no takers at that time, they need to make a decision. Either:
4. Cut him then, and use his money to get some FA talent in here
5. Keep him until draft day and hope you get something for him then.

If they decide #4, fine do it and get talent in here in FA so there's less positions of need you have come draft day.
If they decide #5, fine be patient and see what happens on draft day. There could be some teams who miss out on WR's and would be willing to move.

Now assuming they chose #2 and nobody bites, then you either
6. Cut him for nothing
7. Wait and see up until camp starts as teams could have injuries prior to then and his market develops.

We've already did #6 without the benefits of #4 or the possible benefits of #5 or #7.

That seems amateurish to me.

Unless, you had already exceeded your spending targets for the year and had no intention of doing #4. Then it is not a mistake, but a plan.

Sadly, I have faith in Howie's ability and I think that it was the plan. Don't get me wrong, if he found a trading partner, he would have acted, but he wasn't looking to use DJ savings to buy talent. He's too smart to make that kind of mistake.

JeeQ
On the bright side what's the worse that could happen to this team?

Are they going to be cursed to never win a Super Bowl? ohmy.gif

Doomed to repeat another Super Bowl-less season? unsure.gif

This team can't be much more a joke than it already is. The Seahawks weren't even in existence when the Eagles started competing and they've already won a Super Bowl. The Ravens have only been around since 1996 and they've already won two. I wonder if they'd be saying that if they released Richard Sherman for being a thug, and Ray Lewis for being a murder accomplice. The Eagles? Well the Eagles release Pro-Bowl players for nothing and sign QBs with the lowest QBR in the league biggrin.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
That was a joke

No it wasn't, based on your political rants on this site from the past. And you're too much of a coward to even admit that. Now go lie down junior, the men are still trying
to talk.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 02:40 PM) *
We will all wait.

The timing seems like a mistake to me. Chip doesn't have NFL experience to warrant trust in timing of things.

I am assuming that nothing new happened in the last three weeks to put him over the edge. If it comes out that he is arrested for some crazy shit and it all went down in the last few weeks than this doesn't apply.

Given that, if you are done with DJ, with I can be OK with BTW as he's no where near a favorite of mine, you need to get something for him.

There are two ways to get something for him:
1. Trade him to another team
2. Cut him and use his money to buy some talent to improve the team.

OK, we've heard for weeks, they tried #1, and apparently, there were no takers. OK. Why was that?
1. Issues with DJ that were well known
2. Compromised value because they thought he would be cut
3. Few teams able to fit his contract with 12.75 cap hit under their cap.

A combination of all three probably.

Now they try to trade him and get no acceptable deal. At February 28th, with no takers at that time, they need to make a decision. Either:
4. Cut him then, and use his money to get some FA talent in here
5. Keep him until draft day and hope you get something for him then.

If they decide #4, fine do it and get talent in here in FA so there's less positions of need you have come draft day.
If they decide #5, fine be patient and see what happens on draft day. There could be some teams who miss out on WR's and would be willing to move.

Now assuming they chose #2 and nobody bites, then you either
6. Cut him for nothing
7. Wait and see up until camp starts as teams could have injuries prior to then and his market develops.

We've already did #6 without the benefits of #4 or the possible benefits of #5 or #7.

That seems amateurish to me.

Unless, you had already exceeded your spending targets for the year and had no intention of doing #4. Then it is not a mistake, but a plan.

Sadly, I have faith in Howie's ability and I think that it was the plan. Don't get me wrong, if he found a trading partner, he would have acted, but he wasn't looking to use DJ savings to buy talent. He's too smart to make that kind of mistake.

Cutting him for nothing is a relative term, since they do acquire additional cap space with this move. I just believe this was not a knee jerk reaction, or simply that Kelly 'did not like' DJ, it goes deeper and longer. As I stated in other posts, both Vick and Cooper had issues, but both of them addressed and corrected them to the team's satisfaction. Look at what Vick had to say about DeSean in interviews after he signed w the Jets, he saw something bad coming, something he hoped he could help Jackson handle, but there was something there we don't know about yet.
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 30 2014, 10:28 AM) *
They obviously felt pretty damn indifferent about it, even when Hernandez went to Belichick for help saying he was scared. Of course, once it came out that he personally
executed someone, they had to part ways with him.

The Aaron Hernandez comparison is such a major reach too. Hernandez murdered someone, as in dead, as in never coming back. In fact he may have murdered multiple people. Not only did the Patriots not release him when they first heard of the incident but they actually waited until it was confirmed he had killed someone before they did.

DeSean doesn't even have a police record. I bet some of the posters on this board have longer criminal records than DeSean Jackson. An LAPD detective took the time to even publicly say DeSean Jackson was not affliated with the crimes being committed in LA. But apparently our FO knows more than the damn LAPD now (Article For The Non-Believers: CBS Sports )
The FO needs to stop the nonsense, tell the truth, and stop dragging his name through the mud
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 30 2014, 01:53 PM) *
Cutting him for nothing is a relative term, since they do acquire additional cap space with this move. I just believe this was not a knee jerk reaction, or simply that Kelly 'did not like' DJ, it goes deeper and longer. As I stated in other posts, both Vick and Cooper had issues, but both of them addressed and corrected them to the team's satisfaction. Look at what Vick had to say about DeSean in interviews after he signed w the Jets, he saw something bad coming, something he hoped he could help Jackson handle, but there was something there we don't know about yet.

I agree, no knee jerk reaction at all. He had it coming.

You are right. They had plenty of time to plan it out.

Yes, we do get cap room, but the way they have handled it, it won't benefit this year's team, a team that has just lost one of it's best players!

IMO, we will really need that player(s) this year.

Maybe not.

Maybe Chip and Billy do a great job and we're in the NFCCG this year. I like our chances more with a few more pieces on the team now, but hey, if they can do it and still have 10.75M in the bank, that's better for everyone.

JeeQ
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 12:07 PM) *

Yes, we do get cap room, but the way they have handled it, it won't benefit this year's team, a team that has just lost one of it's best players!

Maybe not.

Maybe Chip and Billy do a great job and we're in the NFCCG this year. I like our chances more with a few more pieces on the team now, but hey, if they can do it and still have 10.75M in the bank, that's better for everyone.

Zero Super Bowl Championships, Trophy Case Full Of Salary Cap Championships
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 30 2014, 02:50 PM) *
No it wasn't, based on your political rants on this site from the past. And you're too much of a coward to even admit that. Now go lie down junior, the men are still trying
to talk.

I have been talking with the men on this board, logically and politely. Yes my political views are different than yours and I made a joke about, but you have shown through your posts, that once you make up your mind, evidence be damned, only your opinion matters. Now if you want to call me a coward, pick a place and time to say it to my face. Posting your apparent disdain with cheap shots about manhood or bravery for someone that you disagree with is cowardly in my opinion.

Now before this gets out of hand, I will no longer respond to any post of yours as long as you offer the same courtesy, and hopefully without childish put downs in the process.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2014, 03:07 PM) *

Maybe not.

I don't think they wanted it to go down this way, but sometimes you have to play the cards you were dealt. Jackson was a play maker and that made him a fan favorite, but of course we only saw what happened on the field, not behind the scenes. Kelly cut a lot of talented guys last year, ones that were of the 'me' first genre, and what we got was a much more cohesive team than the last few years. Who is to say that won't happen again?

Do you remember the Reid years? The O always, except for 04 when they had a lot of talent, stumbled and bumbled in the first few games. Kelly's first NFL game was a total shock to me, they were solid, effective, and organized in ways Reid never approached. I would rather have Kelly than Jackson any day, one player can't take a team all the way, but one good coach can.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 30 2014, 03:12 PM) *
as long as you offer the same courtesy

Request denied. If you don't want to be called a coward, then stop acting like one little boy.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 30 2014, 03:38 PM) *
Request denied. If you don't want to be called a coward, then stop acting like one little boy.

It takes big balls to say that on your keyboard, again two offers to say it to my face and you continue to act like an internet bully...you sir are the coward. Also a fucking child, who is too immature to realize he doesn't have all the answers, but figures if he bellows his beliefs loud enough then he wins. Loser

I've had enough at this pint, so just post your last childish comment and move on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.