Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How The Eagles Come Out Looking Justified
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
1. After investigations, it is revealed that Jackson was involved in criminal activity, that there was a significant revelation after the start of free agency that made the Eagles cut ties now. If it is something that just came to a head now, then they cannot be blamed for not cutting him a month ago and using his money to make the team stronger in needed areas via FA.
. So far, it doesn't look like that's the case:

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/03/...-investigation/

2. After further review, it is determined that most of his teammates have been telling mistruths about him as a teammate and about not being a distraction that there was a significant revelation after the start of free agency that he has become a bad apple. So far that doesn't appear to be the case

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/03/...ates-want-back/

Even if either of 1 or 2 don't materialize, they can still come out looking justified if:

3. The Eagles take a combination of draft pick and cap now available to trade for a pro bowl type caliber player at a position of need to improve the team this year. Doesn't have to be a WR but it can be.

It's got time to develop.

We'll see.

Zero
As to #2 ... listening to Gargano this afternoon they were talking about how strange it is that there are no teammates coming to his defense after he was released. They said that Kelce reacted just the opposite, almost giddy that he was gone. Vick supported him but was he recruiting him?

#1 ... I'm guessing the Eagles had information on him that they hoped to address, confirm or refute or resolve with the player. Thus, Kelly reaching out to him to talk to find out the facts and get his side. Jackson doesn't respond and someone from security argues to cut ties before it's too late and they have another Hernandez on their hands. Finally the Eagles relent and cut his ass.

They may be losers now, but we hope they're winners in the long run by making this preemptive move.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 28 2014, 07:29 PM) *
As to #2 ... listening to Gargano this afternoon they were talking about how strange it is that there are no teammates coming to his defense after he was released. They said that Kelce reacted just the opposite, almost giddy that he was gone. Vick supported him but was he recruiting him?

#1 ... I'm guessing the Eagles had information on him that they hoped to address, confirm or refute or resolve with the player. Thus, Kelly reaching out to him to talk to find out the facts and get his side. Jackson doesn't respond and someone from security argues to cut ties before it's too late and they have another Hernandez on their hands. Finally the Eagles relent and cut his ass.

They may be losers now, but we hope they're winners in the long run by making this preemptive move.

The quotes from the teammates in the article were overall supportive.
We'll see if they change their tune now.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 28 2014, 07:29 PM) *

Fwiw, D. Gunn on Philly sports talk says that he expects more to come out in the weeks, months and year to follow.

Now if he knows something, shame on him for not spilling the beans. If he knows nothing, shame on him for insinuating he does.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 28 2014, 08:11 PM) *
Fwiw, D. Gunn on Philly sports talk says that he expects more to come out in the weeks, months and year to follow.

Now if he knows something, shame on him for not spilling the beans. If he knows nothing, shame on him for insinuating he does.

There's a lot of smoke with this and reporters are now starting to follow the trails. If there's anything to the gang rumors the Eagles will be reporting it to the NFL and their security will be investigating. Once that happens there will be leaks. I'm thinking Gunn and others have information but can't substantiate it yet. This is too bizarre to die without more news. Either the Eagles will be shown as incompetent wannabes or Jackson will be tarred and feathered in Love Park. I bet it's Love Park. We'll get an idea now that Jackson is on the free market.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 29 2014, 01:11 AM) *

Maybe there is nothing concrete, just rumour and circumstantial evidence or guilt by association.

I can see a journalist not wanting to put their head above the parapet by being the first to disclose any details but instead choosing to wait for the inevitable internet rumours and leaks so that they can cover themselves by claiming that they are only commenting on what is already in the public domain.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 29 2014, 06:01 AM) *
Maybe there is nothing concrete, just rumour and circumstantial evidence or guilt by association.

I can see a journalist not wanting to put their head above the parapet by being the first to disclose any details but instead choosing to wait for the inevitable internet rumours and leaks so that they can cover themselves by claiming that they are only commenting on what is already in the public domain.

True but then they would be internet message board folks like you and I and not reporters!

I give D. Gunn credit in that he reported that he was being shopped early on.
We'll see what else he s got.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 29 2014, 07:10 AM) *
True but then they would be internet message board folks like you and I and not reporters!

I give D. Gunn credit in that he reported that he was being shopped early on.
We'll see what else he s got.

I was listening to talk radio yesterday and they were saying there are a 'lot' of stories out there about DeSean, though most have not been substantiated. We will see what gets exposed as time goes by now, especially since there are a bunch of journalists now looking for answers.
Dreagon
4. Win the NFC East again.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 29 2014, 06:31 PM) *
4. Win the NFC East again.

Of the 4 possibilities presented this is the only one that is not a silly premise.

Of the first 3? None of them matter...especially if the fourth ones happens. Beyond that? There are so many variables that affect this situation. Who they draft, how he does his rookie year. What else comes out....all big questions.

At the end of the day thinking the Eagles have to come out of this "Justified" is just the musing of fans who think that it matters. I understand you are drink a cold one in the garage cutting torch handles and mixing tar Mikey but the reality of this is that if the Eagles win next year who cares about this? Look at this differently.....after week 5(when Vick got hurt)...Jackson and Cooper are pretty close in yards.....now I know the fantasy here is that 4 guys covered Desean so the rest of the offense could succeed but that simply is not true......many teams cheated safeties up to stop the run and several used speedy CBs in single coverage(see playoff game) so apparently it is the system that helped jackson have his career year. I am not saying he is not a good, hell a very good WR but I always thought this offense was more for guys like Maclin who can do both..

By the way...the Maclin injury myth....prior to tearing his ACL he had missed 4 games in his first 4 seasons...Just like Jackson. Now Maclin will be able to go deep as well as across the middle.....there is also a boatload of speed in the draft.....just like Jackson.
nephillymike
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 28 2014, 07:18 PM) *
1. After investigations, it is revealed that Jackson was involved in criminal activity, that there was a significant revelation after the start of free agency that made the Eagles cut ties now. If it is something that just came to a head now, then they cannot be blamed for not cutting him a month ago and using his money to make the team stronger in needed areas via FA.
. So far, it doesn't look like that's the case:

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/03/...-investigation/

2. After further review, it is determined that most of his teammates have been telling mistruths about him as a teammate and about not being a distraction that there was a significant revelation after the start of free agency that he has become a bad apple. So far that doesn't appear to be the case

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/03/...ates-want-back/

Even if either of 1 or 2 don't materialize, they can still come out looking justified if:

3. The Eagles take a combination of draft pick and cap now available to trade for a pro bowl type caliber player at a position of need to improve the team this year. Doesn't have to be a WR but it can be.

It's got time to develop.

We'll see.

A few updates:

Regarding #3, apparently Howie made a comment to someone (don't remember who but I heard it last day or so) that it was only March, signaling that there were some things in the works.

The guy didn't think he was talking draft, so the only thing left after FA and draft would be a trade.

Maybe #3 is a possibility, despite trades being rarities in the NFL.

Would trading a future mid round pick for a pro bowl type player with a big cap amount be attractive to anyone?

Regarding #1, Angelo Cataldi theorizes that the NJ.com story was originally a block buster but then lawyers got a hold of it and made the writers take a bunch of stuff out, leaving it a rather tame piece.

BTW, NJ.com did speak only to say that the Eagles were not the source for their story. (Good news)
samaroo
In regards to your trade question:

I don't think we have so many holes that we're "rebuilding" in a traditional sense. We haven't cleared the cupboards, nor do I think we need to. After winning the div in 1AC (After Chip) we are3-4 players away from being serious contenders, IMO, so trading future picks for a necessary piece now would be okay by me. We could have the team Chip wants in the next two years and it could just be upkeep from there.
TGryn
The timing of cutting DJax remains a mystery to me. I get that there were reasons, even if there's no consensus on what those might be, but why now? His salary wasn't guaranteed, and there wasn't a deadline on a roster bonus. They may not have had any realistic trade partners, but these things can change both during and after the draft. Considering Kelly put up with Jackson all last year, I would think he could have bit the bullet for a couple of minicamps; there'd still be plenty of time between May and August if Kelly wanted him gone and the whole thing behind the team by the time camp opened.
Dreagon
QUOTE (TGryn @ Apr 5 2014, 01:36 PM) *
The timing of cutting DJax remains a mystery to me. I get that there were reasons, even if there's no consensus on what those might be, but why now? His salary wasn't guaranteed, and there wasn't a deadline on a roster bonus. They may not have had any realistic trade partners, but these things can change both during and after the draft. Considering Kelly put up with Jackson all last year, I would think he could have bit the bullet for a couple of minicamps; there'd still be plenty of time between May and August if Kelly wanted him gone and the whole thing behind the team by the time camp opened.

That depends. If the reason was Kelly wanted to instill a whole new culture in the team, then he may have wanted him gone by the minicamps. Also, cutting him this early helps make sure it truly is old news by the time camp starts. I'm sure they knew there would be some serious backlash over the move, and they wanted to give it extra time to die down.
samaroo
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 5 2014, 01:43 PM) *
That depends. If the reason was Kelly wanted to instill a whole new culture in the team, then he may have wanted him gone by the minicamps. Also, cutting him this early helps make sure it truly is old news by the time camp starts. I'm sure they knew there would be some serious backlash over the move, and they wanted to give it extra time to die down.

I think this the most likely reason for the timing as well. Just like taking off a band aid.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 5 2014, 02:43 PM) *

I have to agree with this but just maybe, the fact that Kelly is also a decent guy and cutting Avant for understandable reasons and DJ for not so well known reasons were both done early in order to give each a them their best shot at landing the best possible team/offer.
Zero
QUOTE (TGryn @ Apr 5 2014, 01:36 PM) *

What if it's simple. Maybe the Eagles are taking the high road, cutting ties early while there's the best opportunity for DeSean to go where HE wants to go.
samaroo
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 5 2014, 06:46 PM) *
What if it's simple. Maybe the Eagles are taking the high road, cutting ties early while there's the best opportunity for DeSean to go where HE wants to go.

It's possible, but I think if there was any opportunity for a trade they would have taken it.
Zero
Any chance for a trade before the draft was gone. Somehow it was found out that the Eagles would release him if they couldn't trade him. When that's known, everyone waits. They could have waited til after the draft I suppose, for team who wanted a receiver but didn't draft one. Comp would be next year but better than zilch.
TGryn
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 5 2014, 05:48 PM) *
Comp would be next year but better than zilch.

They wouldn't get any comp pick for DJax, since he was released while under contract (we also have signed too many FAs this year even if he were eligible). Jets won't get any compensation for Sanchez for the same reason.
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ Apr 5 2014, 09:26 PM) *
They wouldn't get any comp pick for DJax, since he was released while under contract (we also have signed too many FAs this year even if he were eligible). Jets won't get any compensation for Sanchez for the same reason.

I thought he meant if we traded him after the draft, that it would be for a future pick, not this year.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 5 2014, 09:38 PM) *
I thought he meant if we traded him after the draft, that it would be for a future pick, not this year.

That's what I meant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.