Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where has all the faith in Chip Kelly gone?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
I still believe in his ability to turn water into wine. Based on his production under AR's regime, I thought Foles was a bust. Chip made him into the greatest thing since sliced bread. Cooper was one foot out the door and now he is a keeper. Initially losing Jackson looks like a stupid move, but this management team knows where they want to be and that doesn't include DJax. Based on last season, they have earned our trust.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 28 2014, 01:46 PM) *
Based on last season, they have earned our trust.

Yeah they have - which is why there isn't a full blown mutiny going on right now. But Eagles fans are naturally going to wonder
why a Pro-Bowl WR coming off a career year was cut without getting anything in return for him. His presence on the field
demands attention, which leads to the other guys having success. I'll assume and hope they know what they're doing, and they
better hope it works out, before they find themselves at the same popularity level as Joe Banner and Norman Braman.

I keep getting this feeling he's going to be wearing a star or 'ny' on his helmet next year. Good God.
JeeQ
I have faith that we're going to continue to be Super Bowl-less after this season... can't wait to see what contender DJax goes to though
Jax
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 28 2014, 01:52 PM) *
I have faith that we're going to continue to be Super Bowl-less after this season... can't wait to see what contender DJax goes to though

Or what CFL team
Eyrie
I think we need to look at the known facts here.

Fact - the Eagles know what Jackson brings on the field and still let him go
Fact - the Eagles tried to trade him and no other team would bite
Fact - the Eagles know of any issues that Jackson may have off the field and still decided to let him go

Until I know what the reason for releasing him is then it's difficult to comment on whether this is the right move. If it's because he doesn't get on with his position coach then I'm not happy, if it turns out he's running half the Mexican drugs cartels then it's the right move.

Anyone trying to comment on here is in the same boat until they know why.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 28 2014, 03:02 PM) *

Fact - the Eagles know of any issues that Jackson may have off the field and still decided to let him go

Until I know what the reason for releasing him is then it's difficult to comment on whether this is the right move. If it's because he doesn't get on with his position coach then I'm not happy, if it turns out he's running half the Mexican drugs cartels then it's the right move.

Well said you bagpipe puffin furigner. I am shocked that he was released, shocked as well at the torrent of info I knew nothing about ie, lots of missed meetings, extensive gang ties etc. I believe Chip is so well organized that he has a complete rundown on what's been going on and made his decision based on fact. He's cool as a cucumber that way.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 28 2014, 03:02 PM) *

For me, it doesn't matter why. The management who turned around this franchise in a single season felt that this was a worthwhile move. Based on their recent performance I am willing to blindly support this decision. I have more faith in Chip's acumen than I do in any single player on the roster. DJax was very good, but he isn't irreplaceable.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 28 2014, 12:02 PM) *

I'm sure we all wish the truth would have come out by now but they've left us to speculation (at least on the Eagles side). My current feeling is the true root of his release stems from issues with Chip Kelly. The story that came out long before all these claims of gang membership which is nothing more than a smoke screen by the Eagles. They needed a better excuse than issues with the coach for releasing a Top 10 WR in his prime so they've gone with this. Because the Eagles we're more than aware of his off the field activities when they signed his new contract. Also let's be honest here, we know DeSean isn't the only player in the NFL with gang affiliations. Hell, he isn't the only player on this team with gang affiliations.

I honestly want to stand corrected and there's some really amazing reason; one that would've prevented DeSean from having another pro-bowl caliber season. Otherwise this entire situation is utter stupidity.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 28 2014, 03:24 PM) *
I'm sure we all wish the truth would have come out by now but they've left us to speculation (at least on the Eagles side). My current feeling is the true root of his release stems from issues with Chip Kelly. The story that came out long before all these claims of gang membership which is nothing more than a smoke screen by the Eagles. They needed a better excuse than issues with the coach for releasing a Top 10 WR in his prime so they've gone with this. Because the Eagles we're more than aware of his off the field activities when they signed his new contract. Also let's be honest here, we know DeSean isn't the only player in the NFL with gang affiliations. Hell, he isn't the only player on this team with gang affiliations.

I honestly want to stand corrected and there's some really amazing reason; one that would've prevented DeSean from having another pro-bowl caliber season. Otherwise this entire situation is utter stupidity.

cheers.gif
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 28 2014, 02:02 PM) *

He has been one of THE most exciting players to have on our team, a pro bowler, and to get to see him live, what a helluva playmaker ... a game WINNER.

And with OUR brutal schedule next year we're going to need ALL the help we can on all sides of the bar.

And if one of our remaining WR's goes down next year, wtf.

I'M PISSED AS HELL ... CUTTING ... RELEASING ... a pro bowler. Fuck the Eagles.
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 28 2014, 03:24 PM) *
My current feeling is the true root of his release stems from issues with Chip Kelly.

Even if that is all it turns out to be, usually when you butt heads with the boss it your ass. I would rather have Chip running the show than DeSean running deep routes.
samaroo
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 28 2014, 04:41 PM) *
Even if that is all it turns out to be, usually when you butt heads with the boss it your ass. I would rather have Chip running the show than DeSean running deep routes.

This.

I'll miss DJ on the field, but all of this.
BirdsWinBaby
i never professed the strong faith in Chip...i have so far avoided in Chip we trust and all that. still in wait and see mode

that said i might be the only happy eagles fan in philly. i didnt like Vick being my QB and i didnt like Mr 'not-in-the-face' as my fake-ass #1 WR who is only good 10yds behind the deepest guy or near a sideline

the QB slides to avoid contact when he couldnt get to a sideline were always fun as well

my faith in Chip isnt at the apex i expect to see after some more winning seasons....but this offseason has my faith building so far
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 28 2014, 02:24 PM) *

Ask the Patriots if they regret not taking action on Hernandez......What is amazing to me is all the speculation that it was the past rather than the present that motivated this move or that this was some petty ego trip. Did the Eagles tell the story about Chris Carter to the media when he was released? How long did it take for that story to come out? The Eagles have an extensive security team that does alot of background work. Many of the media members have said they know many stories that they can't report right now because they cant substantiate them at this time....where there is smoke there is generally fire.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 28 2014, 07:03 PM) *
Ask the Patriots if they regret not taking action on Hernandez......What is amazing to me is all the speculation that it was the past rather than the present that motivated this move or that this was some petty ego trip. Did the Eagles tell the story about Chris Carter to the media when he was released? How long did it take for that story to come out? The Eagles have an extensive security team that does alot of background work. Many of the media members have said they know many stories that they can't report right now because they cant substantiate them at this time....where there is smoke there is generally fire.

There really is a lot more to this, no way they cut a star performer for nothing in return and take a 6M dead money hit to their cap, without something really serious going on here.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 28 2014, 06:54 PM) *
There really is a lot more to this, no way they cut a star performer for nothing in return and take a 6M dead money hit to their cap, without something really serious going on here.

Not only that, no player has spoken up defending jackson either....quite frankly most quoted seem happy.....that speaks volumes.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 28 2014, 04:41 PM) *

If the only problem was a personality clash with Kelly why wouldn't anyone want to trade for him? Money? We'll soon see. I'm sure someone will give him a shot, but I bet it's at a very low price tag ... just in case. If there's significant damning information on him, the NFL will probably get into the act and he may not even have a job.
JeeQ
At least we know Kelly is the type of coach who will call a player and reassure him that everything is fine... just before cutting him the very next day.

Stay Classy Philadelphia...
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 28 2014, 09:21 PM) *
At least we know Kelly is the type of coach who will call a player and reassure him that everything is fine... just before cutting him the very next day.

where did you find the transcript of their conversation? I'd like to read it.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 28 2014, 06:35 PM) *
where did you find the transcript of their conversation? I'd like to read it.

Well... first Chip said it...

NFL.Com - Chip Kelly Intrerview

Then DeSean Instagram'd that he talked to Chip Kelly, and Kelly told him "he was staying with the Eagles and to get ready for training camp."

NFL.Com - DeSean Talks To Chip Kelly

He's deleted that message by the way... Surprise, Surprise
Zero
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 29 2014, 12:47 AM) *
Well... first Chip said it...

NFL.Com - Chip Kelly Intrerview

Then DeSean Instagram'd that he talked to Chip Kelly, and Kelly told him "he was staying with the Eagles and to get ready for training camp."

NFL.Com - DeSean Talks To Chip Kelly

He's deleted that message by the way... Surprise, Surprise

I listened to the Kelly interview, and I didn't hear him say he wouldn't trade or cut anyone. He said he talked to him but his conversation was private. Did I miss it?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 28 2014, 09:21 PM) *

Isn't that par for the course? Remember McNabb's Easter ouster.....
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 29 2014, 09:25 AM) *
Isn't that par for the course? Remember McNabb's Easter ouster.....

There's no denying the Eagles FO are true pieces of shit laugh.gif No wonder we're cursed with an empty trophy case. We're still the Salary Cap Champions though! Gold Standard! Zero Super Bowls!

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 29 2014, 03:36 AM) *
I listened to the Kelly interview, and I didn't hear him say he wouldn't trade or cut anyone. He said he talked to him but his conversation was private. Did I miss it?

Chip said he had a private conversation, DeSean went on instagram to tell the world what was said in the private conversation, even called fellow teammates to tell them he was staying... then got cut the next day
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 29 2014, 12:46 PM) *
Chip said he had a private conversation, DeSean went on instagram to tell the world what was said in the private conversation, even called fellow teammates to tell them he was staying... then got cut the next day

Chip never disclosed what was said, just that there was a conversation.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 29 2014, 10:00 AM) *
Chip never disclosed what was said, just that there was a conversation.

True, and Jackson could have lied about it. He is a gang member after all devil03.gif
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 29 2014, 01:30 PM) *
True, and Jackson could have lied about it. He is a gang member after all devil03.gif

lied, I don't think so, but misinterpreted is highly possible. My guess is that Chip told him nothing that was a commitment, but telling him to keep working and be ready for camp could be construed by DJ as a vote of confidence. Also, heard they learned about article on Wednesday after he called DJ, got to wonder if there would have even been a call if they knew what was coming out in the next few days.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 28 2014, 08:21 PM) *

Bizarre....you take what can be the most vague statements about a conversation and melt them down to specifics in your own mind and then take that for fact....nowhere....nowhere was there anything in anything including Desean's tweets that stated that Kelly assured him he was staying. Jackson may have thought what was said was that he was staying but it appears Kelly told him to stay in shape more than anything because he will play somewhere. What is funny is that the memories of Aaron Hernandez escape so quickly. All those pontificating here would go bananas if, and this is purely hypothetical, Jackson would get himself in similar trouble and they found out the Eagles knew what we know they know and did nothing. It is not just the risk associated with his affiliations...it is that AND his horseshit attitude. He quit on this team before over a contract dispute.....and guess what...after getting owned by Keenan Lewis, in single coverage all day by the way, he brought up his contract again.....add that to his influence on the locker room( you know, the one where all the players are up in arms over this...oh wait..they are happy) and you have a easily compiled list of reasons for his ouster.

There are consequences for ones action...I know in this day and age that is forgotten but now Jackson's wallet and the Eagles performance will show those consequences.....what they are is yet to be determined...one thing is certain...Should the Eagles do well virtually everyone here wailing about this will all state how they were in favor of getting rid of Jackson and that they knew the Eagles and Kelly were right.....it happens every time...
Zero
Just for the record, I'm not in favor of getting rid of Jackson, especially for no return. That said, the team may well end up being vindicated in this drama.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 29 2014, 03:48 PM) *
Just for the record, I'm not in favor of getting rid of Jackson, especially for no return. That said, the team may well end up being vindicated in this drama.

If Kelly believes it is addition by subtraction, I am all for it. So far he has shown himself to be an honest, straightforward guy who does his homework meticulously, takes no crap and has good observational and judgment skills. After wimp-boy laid down on this team while whining for a new contract, I lost a lot of my interest in him. We don't need big ego, small cohones players like him on the team.
JeeQ
It sounds like we may be seeing DeSean Jackson two times a season in Washington so Chip is going to get a direct chance to prove how smart he is.

It feels like dealing with Andy Reid again. Once again we have a coach who thinks he's smarter than everyone else in the room.

"We don't need a Pro-Bowl WR, we're fine there"
JeeQ
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 29 2014, 12:16 PM) *
-Snip-

Thanks for the list, now if only the Eagles could have released something anywhere near that I'd be completely satisfied. Only problem is they didn't...

They released him 35 minutes after a damning article and haven't said a peep since.

If Jackson is going to end up in court/prison and unable to play this season then the Eagles are more than justified. If the Eagles didn't want to pay Jackson 10 million and used these "gang affiliations" as a smoke screen then they're scum.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 28 2014, 01:46 PM) *
I still believe in his ability to turn water into wine. Based on his production under AR's regime, I thought Foles was a bust. Chip made him into the greatest thing since sliced bread. Cooper was one foot out the door and now he is a keeper. Initially losing Jackson looks like a stupid move, but this management team knows where they want to be and that doesn't include DJax. Based on last season, they have earned our trust.

Not mine. They're flushed down the toilet with these offseason moves.

Cutting DeSean and getting NOTHING in return? An offseason that should have been about defense has now become another likely trip down the Mediocrity Turnpike.

Chip either wins NFC East and goes deep in the playoffs this upcoming season or I want him gone.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Mar 31 2014, 12:31 PM) *
Chip either wins NFC East and goes deep in the playoffs this upcoming season or I want him gone.

While at this point I wouldn't even dream of calling for Chip's ouster, he better hope to god that DJax (assuming he becomes a
Redskin) doesn't torch our secondary twice next year. THEN it'll start to get ugly among the fanbase.....
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 31 2014, 12:41 PM) *
While at this point I wouldn't even dream of calling for Chip's ouster, he better hope to god that DJax (assuming he becomes a
Redskin) doesn't torch our secondary twice next year. THEN it'll start to get ugly among the fanbase.....

If we had a decent physical CB to press the wimp, that would be easy to assure. But we don't so at least smack him around and he will shrivel and die away.
Zero
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Mar 31 2014, 08:32 PM) *
If we had a decent physical CB to press the wimp, that would be easy to assure. But we don't so at least smack him around and he will shrivel and die away.

Boykin?
sticks n skins
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Mar 28 2014, 01:53 PM) *
He has been one of THE most exciting players to have on our team, a pro bowler, and to get to see him live, what a helluva playmaker ... a game WINNER.

And with OUR brutal schedule next year we're going to need ALL the help we can on all sides of the bar.

And if one of our remaining WR's goes down next year, wtf.

I'M PISSED AS HELL ... CUTTING ... RELEASING ... a pro bowler. Fuck the Eagles.

You seem like a true fan...
sticks n skins
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Mar 31 2014, 09:31 AM) *
Not mine. They're flushed down the toilet with these offseason moves.

Cutting DeSean and getting NOTHING in return? An offseason that should have been about defense has now become another likely trip down the Mediocrity Turnpike.

In year two you want a rebuilding franchise scrapped? How does that make sense? Do you understand football?
nephillymike
To answer the original question:

To Washington DC!! devil03.gif
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Mar 31 2014, 09:32 PM) *

it's basically Boykin (a slot guy), Fletcher (a decent Rams cast off), and... poo poo.

Jenkins is a nominal upgrade from Chung.

and Chip is starting to look like inverse Buddy Ryan (though if he cared that much about offense...)

NFC East has to basically suck big time for the Eagles to win it. Going into 2014 season is a lot more dim than it looked going out of 2013 season.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (sticks n skins @ Apr 2 2014, 03:15 AM) *
In year two you want a rebuilding franchise scrapped? How does that make sense? Do you understand football?

Do you like the taste of poop? What a ridiculous question.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (sticks n skins @ Apr 2 2014, 02:36 AM) *
You seem like a true fan...

his frustration is justified.

the speculation about DeSean Jackson's "character issues" have largely been UNFOUNDED.

the front office is not saying anything about it, and letting the press run with the speculation.

so with that in mind, the Eagles

cut a PRO BOWLER, IMPACT PLAYER who has been a net positive most of the time he has been an Eagle, in his PRIME, at a position that the Eagles have historically been deficient (how quickly fans forget the Pinkston/Thrash/Mitchell days)...

and got nothing, not even a draft pick in return.

it's one thing if Jackson had "diminished skills". he did not.

it's another if Jackson was "old". he was not.

it's another if Jackson had "Aaron Hernandez" issues. he did not.

so it looks like Jackson cost too much.

which, seriously? if you're serious about going to the championship with an offensive-minded team, you need a "Jackson"-like talent on your team. Shady alone isn't going to cut it. there's no one available in FA that you can put there.

Riley Cooper (never will be a pro-bowler) and Maclin returning from injury isn't very reassuring.

this is like when the Pats cut Welker, and he goes on to play with Peyton Manning and goes to the Super Bowl (granted, they got destroyed. But they still went) after poopooing on his old team.

so when he says "Fuck The Eagles" I don't see the problem.

All of a sudden, this offseason looks like it's coming up roses and then you cut a Pro Bowler and get nothing in return.

yeah... fuck this team in the ass with a rusty nail until they can prove otherwise.
samaroo
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Apr 2 2014, 01:04 PM) *
Going into 2014 season is a lot more dim than it looked going out of 2013 season.

I seem to remember you being pretty pessimistic going into last year, too. I think Chip has earned a little leeway here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.