Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is about Boykin, but is it also about DJax?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
"I think our two outside corners are very good football players," Eagles coach Chip Kelly said. "It's a matchup game. The bigger receivers are on the outside, the smaller receivers are in the inside. You have two longer guys in Fletch and Cary that really fit in terms of getting matched up.

"If the other team is going to be in 21 personnel [two running backs, one tight end, two wide receivers], they're not small outside. They're big outside. So when they're big, we're big.

"When you bring in the Wes Welkers and the great slot receivers in this league, you need to have someone who has the ability to cover them. That's where Brandon's strength really is."

Jackson's strength is not inside. Is Kelly telling us something?
Linc ...
koolaidluke
I try to avoid reading too much into things, unfortunately there is not much else you can do in the offseason.

I don't think it is necessarily true that the guys on the outside are always big and I definitely don't think it's true that you need to be a big guy to play corner. This fetish for big corners is not unique to Chip at all though. Andy was the same way and there are plenty of other coaches who have the same attitude.

I guess Chip, Andy, Carroll and the Ryan brothers wouldn't be interested in having a prime Deion Sanders playing for them because he would be too small.

It's no secret that Chip prefers bigger guys on the outside and the truth is he probably would never have drafted a guy like Jackson, but Chip's scheme seems flexible enough that he can work with guys who aren't his prototype. I mean, DeSean did have a career year last season.

I don't think it means anything; except that Chip can't judge cornerbacks. If he really thinks that Fletcher and Williams are good corners he needs to leave the defensive side of the ball to others.
xsv
I guess it meant something after all.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (xsv @ Mar 28 2014, 11:57 AM) *
I guess it meant something after all.

would you agree that my last post was the worst timed post in the history of the internet?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 28 2014, 01:26 PM) *
would you agree that my last post was the worst timed post in the history of the internet?

I'm sure other posts of yours are in the running as well.....
koolaidluke
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 28 2014, 12:30 PM) *
I'm sure other posts of yours are in the running as well.....

You don't have to like my posts, but my post in question was so horribly mistimed it looks like Chip read it and then decided to cut Jackson purely to troll me.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 28 2014, 07:31 AM) *
Jackson's strength is not inside. Is Kelly telling us something?
Linc ...

A few things that I'd love to ask Chip:

Our "big" CB's were almost dead last in QB rating against last year.
Our small" CB was the best guy on the team's defensive backfield.
Our "small" WR was the one with the 1,300 yards.

Don't go all system on me Chip. You and Billy said you were going to base your schemes on the talent you have. You did that last year with good success.

Your best and fastest WR just left the building.

How you going to make that up??

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.