Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the hell is happening?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
canadianeagle
Not sure if this is true but I'm just not a fan of losing pro-bowlers with virtually nothing in return. I get that they want more picks at the draft but we finally have stability at o-line.

If true, I find this highly frustrating.
JeeQ
I'm starting to think our team likes being losers
Jax
WTF
make_it_rain
Mathis wants a new deal. The Eagles don't want to give it to him. Frankly, I'm inclined to agree with the team on this one.

Mathis elected to take the security of the 5 year deal, but now wants to get one last big payday since he'll be 32 and has established himself as probably the best guard in the league (but the clock is ticking). Why even have contracts if players will decide one or two years in that the current signed agreement isnt working and they want more coin? I guess where I'm coming from is that Mathis deserves the money, but at least here I can see why the team doesnt want to give it to him. The cap picture for 2014 is OK, but things get very cloudy going into 2015, even factoring in rollovers and projected cap increases. You cant just go giving everyone money that asks for it.

My guess is that this is more of a dangling maneuver than anything else, to see what they can get for him. One thing thats for sure is that this team is itching for more draft picks, and is using every trick in the book to try to drum them up.
Rick
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 26 2014, 03:29 PM) *
Why even have contracts if players will decide one or two years in that the current signed agreement isnt working and they want more coin?

You could ask a similar question regarding the teams. The teams can restructure contracts whenever they feel like it (or cut the player). The more I learn about how things work the less I get upset when a player asks for a new deal. If it's fair for the teams to ask for new deals it should be fair for the players to do so.

Whether they deserve a new deal or not obviously depends on how the player has performed.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 26 2014, 03:41 PM) *
You could ask a similar question regarding the teams. The teams can restructure contracts whenever they feel like it (or cut the player). The more I learn about how things work the less I get upset when a player asks for a new deal. If it's fair for the teams to ask for new deals it should be fair for the players to do so.

Whether they deserve a new deal or not obviously depends on how the player has performed.

If there was a market for him the iggs would have accepted a pick for a trade, but....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...es_decline.html
make_it_rain
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 26 2014, 03:41 PM) *

Don't disagree with you at all, and I would agree that Mathis' production certainly deserves more money. Its just with the murky 2015 cap situation I can see why the team wouldn't give him (at 32) more money, and hence decided it would be better for them to see what they can get for him.
Jax
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 26 2014, 02:41 PM) *

Yeah, almost pointless to have multiyear deals. Although without them I guess the Yankees and Cowboys would win it every year...
nephillymike
Wtf is right.

Can't we all get along and get together and win a super bowl?

Very disappointed in these recent developments.

The way Chip talked of Jackson, he's gone.
He raved about Mathis, so maybe he has a shot at staying.

But cmon, players and team get your act together.
koolaidluke
Just to be clear, is Mathis saying he's holding out if he doesn't get a new deal?

By the way, I don't believe Mathis deserves a new deal nor do I believe he would get a better contract on the open market. When the Eagles re signed him he was already the best guard in football, the only difference is that now he is recognized for it. He is also kind of a finesse player who wouldn't be so dominant in some other schemes.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 27 2014, 09:09 AM) *
Just to be clear, is Mathis saying he's holding out if he doesn't get a new deal?

By the way, I don't believe Mathis deserves a new deal nor do I believe he would get a better contract on the open market. When the Eagles re signed him he was already the best guard in football, the only difference is that now he is recognized for it. He is also kind of a finesse player who wouldn't be so dominant in some other schemes.

I don't think Mathis will hold out. You're most likely right Mathis won't get a better deal on the open market. Apparently Rosenhaus approached Howie and asked for a new deal months ago, the eagles said no and offered to trade him if he wanted to get that paper.

So far, the response has been lukewarm at best. Its highly unlikely they could get even a third rounder for a 32 yo guard, even if he is All Pro.

Some part of me thinks that a large part of this whole DeSean/Mathis/New Deal circus is the team basically calling their bluffs and dangling them out there, to show them what the actual market would offer for their services is, to show them that maybe they arent worth as much as they believe they are.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 26 2014, 12:30 PM) *
I'm starting to think our team likes being losers

me too. this offseason went from being awesome to a pile of Eli Manning real quick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.