Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been Here Before and I Don't Like It
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Bocadelphia Eagles John
All this bizarre talk about DJaX brings back unwanted memories of my personal resentment and lousy anger projected to the Eagles organization when Braman (the cu*t) let Reggie White go and the time we let a TD scoring WR future Hall of FAMER leave town fer Krist's sake. I see him around town and reporting on tv and there was a nasty story behind it, to explain that Cris Carter episode.

I've seen DJaX in person from the stands. I've never seen anyone do what he is capable of, and it sounds like he's toast and I don't know why and I'm pissed as hell about it and I realize I have no power. None. So all I'm left with is this rotten choice, sit it out and trust in Chip, or throw my toys around the room and kick the cat.

So .... do I trust Eagles FO and Chip ? Honestly, I don't really feel I can give an honest answer to that right now. My trust and faith seems to have been broken and I have no good explanation for it and the only thing coming my way is all this noise, noise, noise here and in the media and it stinks like a skunk. It really does.

I have no option. To maintain any sense of normality, if only for a tiny little bit, I have to ignore all the noise and just wait till the drama plays out. Problem though is, should DJaX go, I won't know until well into next season whether or not the team got better despite what I see as a HUUUUUGE loss of an outstanding pain in the ass player .... his skills are scary ass good .... I'm just sick about it all. Of ALL the things we COULD be talking about, I'm freakin' out that I'm consumed by blah blah blah about all this lousy distraction.

Fuck it.
nephillymike
Well Boca, we should know what the real story is soon, or at least each sides gripes and we can try to put it together.

My guess is it's about the money.
Him wanting some guarantees and us not having faith enough in his character to give him any.
Anything else I presume to be here say and posturing.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 23 2014, 09:14 PM) *
Well Boca, we should know what the real story is soon, or at least each sides gripes and we can try to put it together.

My guess is it's about the money.
Him wanting some guarantees and us not having faith enough in his character to give him any.
Anything else I presume to be here say and posturing.

You guys might want to read this, sounds like the most logical reason this is happening. Chip is building his team, and there is ample evidence to show why DJax does not fit.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...s_receiver.html
HobbEs
I wouldn't necessarily compare this to the Reggie White situation. It seems more like Chris Carter to me.
bounty101
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 23 2014, 10:55 PM) *
You guys might want to read this, sounds like the most logical reason this is happening. Chip is building his team, and there is ample evidence to show why DJax does not fit.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...s_receiver.html

Two issues:

1. Would it not be more beneficial to have fast WRs that can exploit tall/slow corners, toward which the NFL *may* be trending? Watch the Super Bowl and tell me how much it helped the Broncos to have big receivers (Decker is 6-3, 215 and Demaryius Thomas is 6-3, 229). I say bullshit on that article's theory.

2. Regarding Jackson's numbers. I agree with what many have been saying: they don't tell the whole story. I saw him disappear in big games with my own two eyes. What statistics can't tell you, though, is whether a DeSean Jackson on the field opens up opportunities for other receivers. I'm willing to bet defenses rolled their coverages to Jackson when playing cover 3 or man 2. The last thing a defense wants is to allow big plays, so that's the first thing they try to prevent.

I'm thinking this potential Jackson trade/cut will be mostly based on money and the future of the Eagles. Jackson, who will be 28 during this season, is certainly not going to get any better than he is now. Steve Smith, who's comparable to Jackson, but probably a better route runner and all around player, played at a Pro Bowl level until 33 (with mediocre QB play). I don't see Jackson doing that. Once his speed drops off, he's probably done being productive. I think the Eagles feel Maclin is a better #1 if he's healthy and Jackson doesn't help the Eagles enough on or off the field in the long term to warrant the largest salary on the team.
JeeQ
If Chip thinks Riley or Maclin are any where near DeSean's level or even more laughable #1 WR options he's going to be really disappointed. Maclin is weak and Riley is slow, they're both going to fold heavily under double coverage. Without DeSean on the other side those two are going to get abused.
bounty101
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 24 2014, 02:04 PM) *
If Chip thinks Riley or Maclin are any where near DeSean's level or even more laughable #1 WR options he's going to be really disappointed. Maclin is weak and Riley is slow, they're both going to fold heavily under double coverage. Without DeSean on the other side those two are going to get abused.

I think Maclin will do really well in this offense. He came out of a spread offense in college where he accumulated over 2,000 yards from scrimmage in two years (1st for that span in the Big 12, before Mizzou went to the SEC) and 4,000 if you count return yards. He was picked 19th overall (before Hakeem Nicks and Percy Harvin and in the same range as Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas the next year). Dude is super talented for sure. He led Eagles' receivers in touchdowns in 2010 and led the Eagles in receptions in 2012. He's capable of being a #1 there's no doubt in my mind. Hopefully his knees are done blowing out, hence the one year deal as a precaution. I think he was misused by Andy Reid (like many other talented players under AR) and was never the focus of the offense because Jackson was there.

Also, Cooper was 2nd in yards/catch last year only below Josh Gordon for receivers with over 40 catches and tied with Calvin Johnson. His 40 time was 4.53sec which is average, but he plays faster. Jordy Nelson's was 4.51 if you want a good comparison. He led the league in touchdowns and receptions over 20 yards two years ago when Greg Jennings got hurt. I don't know if anyone remembers what everyone said about the Packers when Jennings got hurt that year but it wasn't good.

Anyway, the offense is obviously better with Jackson on it, but I'm not as pessimistic as I was a week ago after thinking about it. Honestly, this situation makes the draft in May a heck of a lot more interesting, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.