Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where does this rank as far as Eagle surprizes?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...desean-jackson/

This is unbelievable.

The turn of events, without known issues, is startling.

As far as stunners go form this team, here are a few I thought of:

Situps in the Driveway
Trade of McNabb on Easter
Signing of Mike Vick
Letting Dawk Go To Denver.
Vermeil Burnout

Any others?

While letting Dawk go was the bottom of Eagles moves in my Eagle fandom, I was not surprised given Banner and the way we did things back then.

Vick was a shock for sure, but he was only thought to be a back up so not a big impact on the field.

McNabb trade tops this DJax situation. He would have thought Andy would do that, especially for a guy like Kolb.

The situps were surreal in that they were happening to the Eagles organization, but not a surprise based on TO's lack of character.

I would put this third behind McNabb trade and Vermeil burnout.
Zero
If you're talking about this, it makes no sense at all! I have to think this is an attempt at sabotage of the organization because it's so bizarre!
TGryn
JeeQ
Released? GTFOH! Someone please tell me what he did to deserve this! This is unheard. Our #1 WR coming off his best season has fallen so low in the eyes of management that he could be released? This is crazy and I'm moving from upset to anger at this point. The offense had so much promise
nephillymike
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 22 2014, 04:29 PM) *
Released? GTFOH! Someone please tell me what he did to deserve this! This is unheard. Our #1 WR coming off his best season has fallen so low in the eyes of management that he could be released? This is crazy and I'm moving from upset to anger at this point. The offense had so much promise

The latest has Jackson not returning any of Chips calls all throughout the off season. Per D. Gunn.

As bad as that may be, I don't think that is grounds for dismissal if the players are not required to do anything until OTA's.

The shit should start slinging now.
nephillymike
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 22 2014, 04:29 PM) *

The latest has Jackson not returning any of Chips calls all throughout the off season. Per D. Gunn.

As bad as that may be, I don't think that is grounds for dismissal if the players are not required to do anything until OTA's.

Birdman420
I am still in shock over this, so what if he's an immature kid who does not possess the physique of what chipper looks for. He's a game changing weapon that any team would be lucky to have.

Now with our deep threat gone the opposing teams will play our screens and running game much tighter.

I'm not saying that maclin and cooper can't go deep, but not like Jackson can and opposing defenses will know it.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 22 2014, 04:42 PM) *

Agreed, but if that's true then I sure can see why they'd want to trade his ass. DJax is Chip's George Hegamin. New coach trying to build a winner, get all the players to buy into his program and a star player flaunts his diva by getting in the face of his position coach then says he wants more money and then ignores his boss's calls. If he didn't return Chip's calls, on top of the rest of his poor behavior, he is in jeopardy of threatening team unity ... a big thing with Kelly. That's disrespect. Let's hope there's a viable trade offer.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Mar 22 2014, 03:35 PM) *
I am still in shock over this, so what if he's an immature kid who does not possess the physique of what chipper looks for. He's a game changing weapon that any team would be lucky to have.

Now with our deep threat gone the opposing teams will play our screens and running game much tighter.

I'm not saying that maclin and cooper can't go deep, but not like Jackson can and opposing defenses will know it.

Adding fuel to the fire is the teams who are interested in Jackson. Seattle Seahawks, 49ers, New England Patriots... teams who are already Super Bowl favorites going into next season. The Eagles have never won a Super Bowl yet we let our top players go to Super Bowl contenders. Makes sense
Birdman420
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 22 2014, 07:39 PM) *
Adding fuel to the fire is the teams who are interested in Jackson. Seattle Seahawks, 49ers, New England Patriots... teams who are already Super Bowl favorites going into next season. The Eagles have never won a Super Bowl yet we let our top players go to Super Bowl contenders. Makes sense

unreal right?

chip is trying to create a gentleman's club, Sorry chip the NFL's best players aren't gentlemen.

I hope he proves me wrong, I really do.
Eyrie
So in the space of a couple of days we've gone from claims that Kelly hasn't tried to reassure Jackson in the way that he has other players when there is new competition for their position to stories that he has tried and Jackson isn't speaking to him.

The whole thing is getting ridiculous. But if the new stories are true then Jackson has already secured his ticket out of here.
Zero
I wonder if the signing of Maclin and Cooper pissed Jackson off and was the reason he didn't return calls to Kelly. I may be reaching, but maybe he felt unappreciated in some bizarro fashion.
Zero
Interesting:
Last summer, before Maclin's injury and the debut of Chip's pro offense, NFL.com did a review of the NFL's Top 40 Wide Receivers. DeSean and Maclin were not in the first tier. They weren't in the second tier, or even the third. Both WRs were in the 4th tier of wide receivers, which was titled "Prove It." DeSean was last among the ten 4th-tier receivers at #31, and Maclin was fourth at #25. The only commentary on either said " I might have underrated Eagles Maclin and Jackson on this list. They both have top-20 talent, but they spend too much time in the trainers' room [injured]."

The biggest reason for optimism is Maclin's upside. He's two years younger than Jackson, and poised to break out in Chip Kelly's offense. Maclin played in a spread offense at Missouri and was touted as an explosive deep threat who was dangerous in space, though Andy Reid never capitalized on that.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 23 2014, 08:19 AM) *
I wonder if the signing of Maclin and Cooper pissed Jackson off and was the reason he didn't return calls to Kelly. I may be reaching, but maybe he felt unappreciated in some bizarro fashion.

Very possible.

IF DJ was unhappy about his contract's lack of guaranteed money, then it's fair to say he wanted it renegotiated. I don't blame DJ so much for mentioning it after the NO game because it was the first question the reporter asked. Sure it seemed selfish, but part of me wonders why that would be the first question someone would ask him but who knows.

Now if the Eagles politely told him no, which I agree with btw, and then go out and spend a bunch of money on deals for the other two WR and offer Maclin a long term deal that Maclin turned down, he very well could feel disrespected.

However, if DJ wants more guaranteed money, then you would think he wouldn't say no renegotiating when asked about it for new teams because that would be how he could get the guaranteed money he supposedly asked for!!

I want to know what exactly the issue is.

My gut tells me it's money and everything else is not relevant. Money from him in that he wanted a new deal with some guarantees, money from them in that his 12M+ cap and 10.75M of cash puts them over the money they wish to spend for the position.

All else is just posturing. At least that's my guess.

Hopefully we'll know soon.
Zero
10 is a narcissist and will likely never be happy unless he's the undisputed focal point. His theatrics going into the end zone on more than one occasion testify to that. Then look at this which is from the link I posted above:
DeSean had a career year in 2013. He was 9th in the NFL with 1,332 yards, 9 TDs and 60 first downs, and forced defenses to respect his speed as a vertical threat. You've heard all this before.

There are a couple of ways that these statistics overstate DeSean's value, though. Yes, he was 9th in the NFl, but a lot of receivers were close. You can go down to #16 (Anquan Boldin) and they all have similar numbers: 7-12 TDs, 1,200-1,400 yards, 60+ first downs, 400-600 YAC. Jackson has good yardage, but he's at the bottom of that group for TDs, first downs and YAC.

Jackson's big game production is questionable, too. He finished the year with 28, 29 and 53 yards in three crucial contests against Chicago, Dallas and New Orleans. He was outperformed by Riley Cooper in each game (and by Brent Celek in the first two). DJax was a serious threat as a punt returner in his first three seasons, but he averaged only 5 yards a kick last year.

A lot of Jackson's success in 2013 was due to Chip Kelly's spread offense, which made his game less one-dimensional. Yes, Djax had 60 first downs last year, but he never topped 43 under Andy Reid, who built his pass-heavy offense around the WR. And while it's true that DeSean opened up the run game for LeSean McCoy, Shady also pulled safeties and linebackers away from Jackson. This statistic is astonishing: DeSean's percentage of targets caught rose from 52.3% under Andy Reid to 65.1% last year. At the old percentage, Jackson would have totaled just 66 receptions for 1,073 yards (instead of 82 for 1,332).
Zero
Oh, and the reports that the Eagles will release him ... if it happens it won't be until after the draft and teams evaluate their needs. A team with cap room but not much chance of going to the playoffs may want to give up a player or a 2015 pick to add his speed. If he hits the open market as a FA those teams may not want to risk losing him.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 23 2014, 08:37 AM) *
10 is a narcissist and will likely never be happy unless he's the undisputed focal point. His theatrics going into the end zone on more than one occasion testify to that. Then look at this which is from the link I posted above:

This is all background posturing on the writer's part.

I love Foles as you know.

But what would DJ's "big game" stats have been in NO if Foles threw the ball to him those three times he was wide open but went unseen?

Cooper, I like as you know. But really? Did we already forget the colossal drop by him in the NO game. Really?

I guess nobody would be interested in Graham b/c of poor big game numbers? The fact he was double and tripled teamed doesn't enter into it?

I am listening to 97.5 now while doing a few returns and I hear the one guy who is anti DJ say that only x % of his passes were inside the hash marks and that makes him less of a WR.

OK. But I'd like to have the time to call the genius and ask him what is an OC supposed to do when someone is being double teamed?

You put the WR OUTSIDE the hash marks so that the over the top safety has to go way over toward the sideline to put him furthest away from helping when you run the single covered slot guy straight down the middle on a fly pattern.

Geez. This clown doesn't even know the game and he's on the radio spouting off stuff
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 22 2014, 03:06 PM) *
This is unbelievable.

Yes it is. Regardless of what happens or who's fault this whole was (probably a healthy mixture of blame to go around), I will say that it's people like DJax who I thoroughly
enjoy watching go broke 2 years after they retire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.