Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Jackson rumors
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/03/...-eagles-silent/

This Jackson thing won't go away.

McManus said later on 97.5 that an agent he's known and trusted for info for years says there's no way Jackson is back.

I hope he's wrong. Not a big DJax fan but I am a fan of great offense and he is an important piece.
Reality Fan
My guess is that there is more to the break-in story than we know and maybe more to question of his contract as well.....he is a pain in the ass and I will bet they are looking at nothing but a big WR in the first round......
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 17 2014, 07:42 PM) *
I hope he's wrong. Not a big DJax fan but I am a fan of great offense and he is an important piece.

Did Ryne Sandberg take over this team all of a sudden?

DJax is a world class pain in the ass, but good luck replacing 1300 yards of production from a draft pick, not to mention how his presence gives Maclin and Cooper better
targets.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 17 2014, 09:31 PM) *
Did Ryne Sandberg take over this team all of a sudden?

DJax is a world class pain in the ass, but good luck replacing 1300 yards of production from a draft pick, not to mention how his presence gives Maclin and Cooper better
targets.

Who said a draft pick replaces that? But the return of Maclin, the addition of Sproles AND a draft pick is going to cut those numbers anyway.....there is only one ball and Maclin is no Avant....if healthy, which they appear to feel he is, he will demand a ton of touches as well....they may think, if they indeed are looking to part ways, that he will be a problem child when his touches drop....

No one disputes he had a great year but he is not Calvin Johnson.......they have options.
Birdman420
he is our cocky little bastard isn't he?

I still say there should be no way the eagles let him go as long as he is the threat that he is on the field. <---Period
Zero
Wonder how much his concussions play into this. 1300 yds of burning rubber is good for the whole offense and the distractions we see aren't all that bad. Maybe he's just keeping his shit out of the press for now like a good soldier and will open it up if things don't go his way, but right now I don't see any flames only a little smoke.
Rick
You guys crack me up. I read the story and I don't see anything of any real concern. A few writers are stirring the pot but Jackson isn't complaining and the staff isn't complaining. Looks like the media is looking to cause trouble
make_it_rain
I dont think it will happen, but something definitely seems suspicious here.

So, it begs the question... what would a team have to offer for you to be OK with trading him?

Rick
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 18 2014, 05:13 PM) *
I dont think it will happen, but something definitely seems suspicious here.

So, it begs the question... what would a team have to offer for you to be OK with trading him?

Megatron.
make_it_rain
Supposedly they are looking for a third rounder for DeSean.

Yes, a third rounder.

GQSmooth
Trading DJax for a 3 shows the team desperate to move on. Have to think there is something more going on. The robbery and the guns in his home may have a lot to do with it (who has 250K just laying around when your out of town?) Maybe he makes a lot of noise behind the scenes about his contract? There has to be something uncovered by team security. I can't see letting 1300 yards and the 2nd best big play receiver go for just a 3rd round pick.

I found it weird that the team took offers last year for a second round pick for him.
Birdman420
I just think its because of the coaching changes. Chip is tightening the grip that the head coach has on the team and it's not what our vet players are used to after spending years playing for reid. Maybe Jackson isn't buying into it and is butting heads with chip because he had it too good before chip arrived.
nephillymike
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 18 2014, 04:28 PM) *

Yes, a third rounder.

I want a solid starting player at a defensive position of need. Shouldn't be hard to find as we have about seven needs on that side of the ball.

If you are forcing picks on me, I need a 2nd plus a low round sweetener, or a 3rd and 4th. I would then offer those picks to see what solid starters are available in a trade for those picks. If I can't get anything worthwhile, then I punch my two new tickets in the crap shoot known as the draft.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 18 2014, 05:28 PM) *

Yes, a third rounder.

I don't care if DJax has a meth lab in his home and his new agent is Bryan Cranston - they better get more than a 3rd rounder.
Can't imagine we have all the info there is to know but I guess we'll know soon.

Phils trying to force Jimmy out of town, Eagles possibly doing the same to DJax? Good times!

P.S. I was at the Flyers game last night, amazing game and great ending. They're getting hot at the right time, very tough
schedule coming up.
bounty101
Just read the reports on NFL.com. Absolutely mind-numbing! I like DeSean I think his attitude on the field is awesome, not to mention his ability to single-handedly win a game. Sometimes he disappears on the field, but a lot of times, he's been a key factor in big wins. I'd hate to see him go. And for a 3rd rounder? Ouch. It'd be awfully audacious of Chip Kelly to run him out of town because he doesn't like him, as Ian Rappaport has said.

The third round pick actually may be the right asking price, though, if they really want to move him. Apparently the 49ers and Patriots have inquired, and the 49ers weren't willing to give up a 3rd round pick for Jackson.
make_it_rain
I don't think the niners would blink about giving up a 3rd round pick for Jackson, its more of picking up his $10M contract and their verrrryy tight cap situation.

Also, supposedly Chip reached out to Desean yesterday to assure him he will NOT be traded.
JeeQ
These articles have to be wrong. There's no way we're that desperate and that fucking stupid. Percy Harvin just got traded for a 1st and a 3rd last season. Percy "Injured For 9 Out Of 10 Games" Harvin. Harvin has never had a 1000 yard season in his life yet we're going to trade our top WR away for a 3rd round pick? GTFOH laugh.gif

Not only that, Maclin is a gigantic injury prone pussy. So let's just say the obvious happens, and Maclin gets injured AGAIN this year. If we trade away DeSean we're left with Riley Cooper as our #1, Benn as our #2, and I guess we'll plug Smith or Maehl in at #3 either way it's absolute shit.

It has to be a first round pick or nothing, and I even doubt our 1st rounder will put up the 1300 yards DJax put up last year.
JeeQ
DeSean Jackson: Best Of 2013 Season

Maybe someone should show Howie this; he really needs to rethink that 3rd round pick
Phits
DJax is not likely to have 1300 receiving yards again, at least in this offense. Besides, he's a concussion away from forced retirement. His long term durability has to be questioned.
Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 19 2014, 02:21 PM) *
DJax is not likely to have 1300 receiving yards again, at least in this offense. Besides, he's a concussion away from forced retirement. His long term durability has to be questioned.

Doesn't matter if he gets 1300 yards himself. He opens the field up for an offense which is designed to run with an open field.

And ALL NFL players are a concussion away from forced retirement.

Would be one of the dumbest moves to trade him away unless you're getting another top-tier WR in return but that isn't happening so it would just be dumb.
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 19 2014, 05:22 PM) *
Doesn't matter if he gets 1300 yards himself. He opens the field up for an offense which is designed to run with an open field.

Sproles is capable of that too. I don't want DJax gone, but he isn't indispensable.
nephillymike
B. Logan
N. Foles
C. Marsh
D. Teo'Nesheim
B. Smith
S. Bradley
T. Hunt
C. Gocong
R. Moats
M. Ware

There's our list of the last ten third round picks we've had.

Except for Foles, these guys aren't in D.Jax hemisphere of talent or influence.

They better not be stupid. The talk today on the airwaves was much worse than yesterday.

Not looking good for fans of great offense.

It makes no sense, unless we're getting a PB caliber defensive player.
Zero
First, I doubt the Eagles trade DJax but IF they do it may not be for a draft pick.

I realize player for player trades are rare in the NFL, but let's suppose there's a team out there that has the opposite needs of the Eagles. Abundant talent on the defense and a need for a game breaking WR. They also have lots of other holes to fill in the draft.

Would a trade, a pass rusher for DJax make sense? The team could fill other needs in the draft, the Eagles could get a receiver in a deep draft.

Just throwing it against the wall ... smoke and fire concept. A #3 isn't good value for a player like 10.
Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 19 2014, 07:12 PM) *
Sproles is capable of that too. I don't want DJax gone, but he isn't indispensable.

No, Sproles isn't capable of stretching the field like DJax does. Different type of player.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 19 2014, 07:41 PM) *
M. Ware

We essentially drafted a fond memory..... laugh.gif

(field goal block, return for td against SD)
Reality Fan
Just a quick look at Jackson's game logs last season....

100 yds+ - 5 games
66-99 yds - 2 games
less than 66 yds - 9 games (5 games less than 40 yds)

Only 1 100 yd+ game against a team w/ winning record
Eagles 3-2 when he goes over 100 yds

The X factor is what level of influence he has on the oppositions defensive scheme and it's coverage scheme. While it would be hard to argue that he is gameplanned for there is no question the replacement of Avant will also impact coverage because you loose a guy who could not get open against a bingo lady.

It is a very tough situation to figure out......Was it Jackson that shifted coverages or safeties cheating up to stop McCoy.

interesting situation........personally I am tired of the guy but the 'cut off your nose to spite your face" argument can't be easily dismissed.
JeeQ
Since it's been revealed we're in talks with the Jets, for both Vick and Jackson now... what could they possibly be offering? My hope is that it might be something as crazy as a straight swap for Eric Decker. Maybe the Jets feel if they have Vick, DJax, and Marty at the helm the offense is set. We end up with a WR who's just as good for less money. Decker - Maclin - Cooper - Ertz/Celek sounds pretty damn good to me. Then again... Decker did just sign on to a reality TV show...
nephillymike
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 21 2014, 01:14 AM) *
Since it's been revealed we're in talks with the Jets, for both Vick and Jackson now... what could they possibly be offering? My hope is that it might be something as crazy as a straight swap for Eric Decker. Maybe the Jets feel if they have Vick, DJax, and Marty at the helm the offense is set. We end up with a WR who's just as good for less money. Decker - Maclin - Cooper - Ertz/Celek sounds pretty damn good to me. Then again... Decker did just sign on to a reality TV show...

Vick is a free agent, we don't owe his rights and would get nothing for him.
We can trade DJax as he is under contract.
Rick
What is it, exactly, that is sooooooo bad about Jackson? Yes, he had that season when he was unhappy. I'll give you that. Other than that, he's had a boneheaded play or two but, so have many other players. I've not read about problems with him in the locker room.

Is he arrogant? Sure. I have no problem with that as long as it doesn't hurt the team and, for the most part, it hasn't. He certainly has helped the team WAY more than he's hurt it.

I really don't understand the animosity towards the guy.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 21 2014, 05:41 AM) *
What is it, exactly, that is sooooooo bad about Jackson? Yes, he had that season when he was unhappy. I'll give you that. Other than that, he's had a boneheaded play or two but, so have many other players. I've not read about problems with him in the locker room.

Is he arrogant? Sure. I have no problem with that as long as it doesn't hurt the team and, for the most part, it hasn't. He certainly has helped the team WAY more than he's hurt it.

I really don't understand the animosity towards the guy.

I think there is more stuff going on behind the scenes, but like everyone else, I don't know for sure. From a football perspective, there is no way I let him go this year. His speed opens up that offense for all. I want to win this year and we need him.

Next year maybe we part ways if we draft a good wr and Maclin is healthy. Not this year.
Zero
Let's assume for a sec that the Eagles trade Jackson for _____ ... whatever, pick, player, combination. Here's something that would seem to either offer solace for that move or discredit the concept, depending on the point of view. Solace because it seems there's a potential alternative in the draft. But it depends on the acquiring team, what they deal for him and what their needs are.
HEIGHT:
DeSean Jackson - 5'10"
Brandin Cooks - 5'10"

WEIGHT:
DeSean Jackson - 178
Brandin Cooks - 186

40 YARD DASH:
DeSean Jackson - 4.35
Brandin Cooks - 4.33

VERTICAL JUMP:
DeSean Jackson - 34.5
Brandin Cooks - 36

3 CONE DRILL:
DeSean Jackson - 6.82
Brandin Cooks - 6.76

Cooks is unproven and unknown, has more bulk, same height, same speed, better leap, and better cone. Returner ... check.

Hmmm ---> Here's just one review, similar to most I've seen.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 19 2014, 11:41 PM) *
B. Logan
N. Foles
C. Marsh
D. Teo'Nesheim
B. Smith
S. Bradley
T. Hunt
C. Gocong
R. Moats
M. Ware

There's our list of the last ten third round picks we've had.

Except for Foles, these guys aren't in D.Jax hemisphere of talent or influence.

They better not be stupid. The talk today on the airwaves was much worse than yesterday.

Not looking good for fans of great offense.

It makes no sense, unless we're getting a PB caliber defensive player.

That is a scary list. Some real fails there (Ware, Moats, Hunt, Smith, Teo'Nesheim, probably Marsh), a couple of solid players (Gocong, Bradley, Logan) and one potential star (Foles).

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 21 2014, 02:44 AM) *
Just a quick look at Jackson's game logs last season....

100 yds+ - 5 games
66-99 yds - 2 games
less than 66 yds - 9 games (5 games less than 40 yds)

Only 1 100 yd+ game against a team w/ winning record
Eagles 3-2 when he goes over 100 yds

The X factor is what level of influence he has on the oppositions defensive scheme and it's coverage scheme. While it would be hard to argue that he is gameplanned for there is no question the replacement of Avant will also impact coverage because you loose a guy who could not get open against a bingo lady.

It is a very tough situation to figure out......Was it Jackson that shifted coverages or safeties cheating up to stop McCoy.

interesting situation........personally I am tired of the guy but the 'cut off your nose to spite your face" argument can't be easily dismissed.

That X Factor comment is a good one. Simply by being on the field Jackson created space for not just the other receivers but for the running game because he had to be accounted for. And when they overlooked him, Foles didn't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.