Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too early to extend Sproles??
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I like the signing a lot. He's a great weapon to have and I can only imagine the havoc Chip will wreak on opposing teams with this new toy..

But why not wait until we get into the season or at least late in the preseason to extend him?

The risk is he lost a step and can't help us as a returner that much. (He did average less than our guys last year)

I would have waited and seen.

No sense taking the risk now.

Anyone?
Zero
He seemed pretty pissed about the way he was treated by N.O., maybe this was a placating move.
Eyrie
Depends on the structure of the deal.

It could be that the cap cost to cut him after 2014 isn't high, in which case making him feel wanted is a no-brainer. If not, then it's still a de facto two year deal with the option of a third if we want to keep him. I suspect that we'll use him on third downs and as a returner.

As regards his numbers on returns, look at the focus on STs in FA.

Interesting to see the battle between Brown and Polk to be the other RB, or to make us keep four on the roster.
Rick
Unless he's getting grossly over paid, I don't mind the move. If I remember correctly, he didn't average less than we did on returns but more. But we didn't pick him up to be a return guy.

He immediately makes the offense more dangerous. As long as he doesn't get hurt, the offense should have an even easier time of moving the ball.

Why risk ill feelings right from the start? You have to believe he's got at least 2 more reasonable seasons in him. Anything more is a bonus.
Zero
Yeah and if I recall BMitch wasn't particularly a speedster. Seems there's been several PR and KR guys who weren't all that swift afoot but had great vision, good instincts and could cut like a razor. I wouldn't be surprised if Sproles is the PR and not the KR.
HOUSEoPAIN
It's 3rd and 5.

DJax, Maclin, McCoy, Sproles, and Cooper are on the field. Or maybe Ertz instead.

Who tha fuck ya gonna cover?!?!?!

If we have any sort of decent defensive improvement next year, we may really be stepping up to the next level.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 15 2014, 04:52 PM) *
It's 3rd and 5.

DJax, Maclin, McCoy, Sproles, and Cooper are on the field. Or maybe Ertz instead.

If we have any sort of decent defensive improvement next year, we may really be stepping up to the next level.

DC's are shitting gold bricks about now.

Forget about 3rd and 5. They'll have problems defending that on any down.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 15 2014, 01:58 PM) *
Unless he's getting grossly over paid, I don't mind the move. If I remember correctly, he didn't average less than we did on returns but more. But we didn't pick him up to be a return guy.

He immediately makes the offense more dangerous. As long as he doesn't get hurt, the offense should have an even easier time of moving the ball.

Why risk ill feelings right from the start? You have to believe he's got at least 2 more reasonable seasons in him. Anything more is a bonus.

Sproles was 6.7 and 21.3 in punts and kicks respectively.
Johnson was 8.3 and 25.1.
Hopefully it was just a down year.
Birdman420
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 15 2014, 05:52 PM) *
It's 3rd and 5.

Lol yeah, this gets me excited!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 15 2014, 06:29 PM) *
DC's are shitting gold bricks about now.

Forget about 3rd and 5. They'll have problems defending that on any down.

Haha true. Imagine our goal line offense.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.