Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Culture vs Talent
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
"Culture" is a word that we keep hearing from the Eagles. It used to be "character" with regard to the players Andy wanted. Watching what the Eagles are doing in FA and listening to those standing on the edge I wonder if the Eagles really do have a plan that they are implementing: use FA to build the culture and use the draft to add the talent.

It seems all of the guys they're adding can play at this level, they're just not the top tier starters. I'd say "functional", dedicated and leaders is what they seem to have in common.

I keep hearing how this year's draft class is one of the deepest, most talented they've seen in years. If the Eagles are able to add the talent from the draft, they may be adding the players who will set the example for how to be the top tier talent.
"I think it's just the mindset of guys," said Maragos. "That's the biggest thing. You kind of see the culture in our locker room now -- just talking to people around the building and seeing the guys that they are acquiring through free agency, they're getting a certain mindset of a guy and of a player. I think when you see those guys who are cut from the same cloth kind of all come together, I think it's infectious. One guy sharpening the other, they're feeding off each other and everybody's trying to compete and push the bar and really trying to win."

Kelly's trying to build a team rather than a collection of individual talent. I don't know if it's the best approach or if it's going to work, but he's a pretty smart guy who's had success in the past so it's worth me giving it a chance.
Linc ...
nephillymike
I think it erroneous to assume that just because a guy is a top tier free agent that he doesn't have the character to be a winning influence.
Zero
I don't assume that and I don't get the impression the Eagles do either.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 14 2014, 06:59 AM) *
I think it erroneous to assume that just because a guy is a top tier free agent that he doesn't have the character to be a winning influence.

On the flip side, a guy may be a top tier free agent but not be a good fit for your scheme (ala Nhamdi). Do you back up the Brinks truck for a guy you are not even sure fits your plan? At least what they are doing allows them the room to correct a FA mistake and fix it if it does not work (Chung) rather be saddled with a player that doesn't fit for several years.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 14 2014, 10:59 AM) *

True, but a top FA can also be a complete PITA (see Owens, Terrell). Makes sense to look at who you're signing as well as what you're signing.

Of course, Reid's liking for former Mormon missionaries took the boy scout thing a bit too far.
Dreagon
Talent matters, which is why some teams are good for a few years then crater for a few other years.

Culture matters, which is why some teams seem to always be in the playoff hunt and others have become perennial celler dwellers.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 14 2014, 10:45 AM) *
On the flip side, a guy may be a top tier free agent but not be a good fit for your scheme (ala Nhamdi). Do you back up the Brinks truck for a guy you are not even sure fits your plan? At least what they are doing allows them the room to correct a FA mistake and fix it if it does not work (Chung) rather be saddled with a player that doesn't fit for several years.

All last year we heard of Chip and Billy adjusting their scheme to fit the talent they had.

They were both being very flexible

We had 43 LB's and DE's and DT's left over and we had traditional offensive pieces left over.

It was refreshing because of Reid's former insistence of "the system" trumping all.

If Chip want to get system players for the offense, that's fine. They were the #2 offense last year.

On D however, Billy would be wise to find the best talent and coach the scheme to fit the talent.

29th rated D's don't have the luxury of getting "system" guys. They need talent. I'm sure Byrd would fit in fine as would a few other better Cb's than the guy we got.

Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 14 2014, 08:03 PM) *
All last year we heard of Chip and Billy adjusting their scheme to fit the talent they had.

We had 43 LB's and DE's and DT's left over and we had traditional offensive pieces left over.

It was refreshing because of Reid's former insistence of "the system" trumping all.

If Chip want to get system players for the offense, that's fine. They were the #2 offense last year.

On D however, Billy would be wise to find the best talent and coach the scheme to fit the talent.

29th rated D's don't have the luxury of getting "system" guys. They need talent. I'm sure Byrd would fit in fine as would a few other better Cb's than the guy we got.
Not so sure Mikey. Byrd and Ward are both older but were still great at FS/SS but neither at both. Jenkins was considered by many to be the 3rd best FA S on the market this year. For us
he seems to fit Kelly/Davis's plans better than the other two in that he can play both positions plus CB in a pinch. Since he is relatively low-cost he allows us to add a Caroll here now and yet have some maneuverability next year with all the young uns coming up for new contracts.
Zero
Nice piece by McLane on the Eagles' approach to FA and why they skip over players like Byrd. The end result is still to be determined, but maybe the team isn't to the point we hope it is and they're still trying to build something special. It's not that they can't catch lightning in a bottle, but I guess if you're in charge you need to have a road map and stick to it.
Kelly didn't come out and say it, but it was clear he believes the Eagles still aren't quite on the level of the Seahawks, Broncos, 49ers, and Patriots. "We still have some holes in terms of being a complete football team," he said - knowing that there are still opportunities to plug them, up to and including the draft.

But it's unlikely one or two players - especially rookies - will put the Eagles over the top. The teams that signed Revis (Patriots), Ware (Broncos), and Byrd (Saints) all have quarterbacks 35 years or older and rosters with fewer holes.

The last time the Eagles thought they were that close, they signed Nnamdi Asomugha and several other free agents who just weren't ideal schematic fixes.

So for the second straight offseason, they bypassed the premier defensive names in free agency and targeted specific players they thought fit their scheme, could provide in-roster competition, and were versatile enough to help on special teams.

Special teams is a factor for the second year in a row and I'll add that it seems they are adding intelligent players and leaders. These seem to be critical ingredients to Kelly's formula. Sure they need to have talent, but I'm getting the impression that "team" is more important to Kelly than just individual talent.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 15 2014, 12:03 AM) *

Disagree - how much of that low ranking was due to the fact that many of our players were 4-3 guys learning a 3-4 defence that was either new to them or unsuited to their style, as opposed to a simple lack of talent.

It makes sense to bring in round pegs for the round holes, rather than forcing more talented square pegs into those same holes.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 15 2014, 10:03 AM) *
Nice piece by McLane on the Eagles' approach to FA and why they skip over players like Byrd. The end result is still to be determined, but maybe the team isn't to the point we hope it is and they're still trying to build something special. It's not that they can't catch lightning in a bottle, but I guess if you're in charge you need to have a road map and stick to it.

Special teams is a factor for the second year in a row and I'll add that it seems they are adding intelligent players and leaders. These seem to be critical ingredients to Kelly's formula. Sure they need to have talent, but I'm getting the impression that "team" is more important to Kelly than just individual talent.

I think most teams have realised that they have to build the roster to put themselves in a position to compete before they should pursue a couple of superstars to give themselves that final edge.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 15 2014, 05:03 AM) *

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl...al-winners.aspx

Need to get best guys. Can't predict where you are on road to SB
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 15 2014, 07:55 AM) *
http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl...al-winners.aspx

Need to get best guys. Can't predict where you are on road to SB

But defining what 'best' means is the problem. As far as I can see Kelly thinks Jenkins was the best choice for the Eagles for several reasons, all logical ones. Last year they had to try and squeeze some square pegs into round holes given you cannot turn over a whole roster in 1 year. Makes perfect sense that in year two you start finding the pegs that fit the scheme, rather than a peg that might not fit and having to adjust scheme to utilize them. As stated in a few articles, the teams that went after the 'star' FAs have aging QBs and rosters, 'going for the fences' before facing the fact that they too will have to rebuild soon enough. Kelly is doing what Seattle did, slowly building a roster of guys who can form into a strong team...I have no problem with that philosophy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.