Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scanning the FA lists, best of the rest
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
By position, with their FA position rank per CBS sports (I only list the 34 compatible OLB, DE and DT's)

CB
6. DRC
7. Tillman
8. Thurmond

DT
7. Melton
8. Raji
9. Sims

DE
7. A. Smith

OLB
7. D. Smith

OG
1. T. Wharton
4. W. Colon

QB
1. Vick
2. Freeman

Melton or Raji
A. Smith
D. Smith
Vick
Either OG

Get three of the five spots and them we just go best available in the draft.

Also, I wonder how good a solid starter we could get for our 4th round pick? I imagine quite a few.
JeeQ
You didn't mention the FA I'm interested in my good man... and that man is...

Julian Edelman

He kicks the shit out of us every time, could possibly be picked up cheaply (he signed for $715,000 last season), and is the icing on the offensive cake.
Birdman420
Yes to DRC--- during the whole dream team year he was the only one in our secondary to improve and show consistent hustle.

Yes to Raji--- big man....

Yes to Vick-- obvious reasons
HOUSEoPAIN
Absolutely yes to DRC or Tillman, preferably DRC because of his age.

I'd take Vick back, but he wants to start.
Birdman420
Do we really think that a team is going to pick him up as a starter?

I think the league learned from our experience that he is absolutely going to get hurt as a starter and for a team to bank their season on Vick is a long shot. For those teams in need of a starter I think it would be much more appealing to them to get one from the draft.

My opinion is that he's coming back. If he doesn't then I'm not worried about whatever team he plays for because he won't last the season without getting hurt.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Mar 14 2014, 01:03 PM) *
Do we really think that a team is going to pick him up as a starter?

I think the league learned from our experience

Yes.

Do Cleveland, Jacksonville, or Oakland ever seem to learn from their own experience, much less someone else's? I think Vick
has a decent shot at starting somewhere next year, but we'll see.
make_it_rain
DRC turned down 6 years, $54M from Denver, who has got to be the SB front runner at this point.

My guess is he's looking for Revis type money, which he certainly isn't worth.

Maybe his price comes down a bit now that he's the odd man out in the FA CB game.

Tilman is good but really took a step back last year. You have to wonder how much he has left. Wilfork comes with a ton of question marks regarding age, health.

Not really interested in the others.
canadianeagle
I wouldn't mind DRC or one of the Defensive tackles. Other than that, I'm not sure any of the other guys are upgrades.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 14 2014, 02:26 PM) *
My guess is he's looking for Revis type money, which he certainly isn't worth.

Not even close. Hopefully his price will come down.
TGryn
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4594...nfl-free-agents
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

* From the "there's no friend like an old friend" file...

QB Kevin Kolb - if you aren't comfortable with Barkley as the #2, Kolb is available. No longer the young heir apparent to McNabb, he's now an 8 year veteran who has to be considered a journeyman at this point, but he does have 21 career starts. No one's going to sign him for big bucks after the Cards and Bills tried him as a QB solution. You'd really have to have medical clearance re: his concussion history before signing him, though.

OT Winston Justice - I tend to think of Justice as a guy who's been around forever, but he's actually only 29 years old. He has 43 career starts. We're set with Peters and Johnson as the starters, but we saw in 2012 what happens when you don't have OT depth.

ILB Dan Connor - I recall there being some enthusiasm for bringing him in a couple years back. Only 28, but had a pretty forgettable 2013 bouncing between the Giants and Carolina. Like Kolb, you have to wonder if his body can't cash the checks anymore.

CB Dimitri Patterson - One of the guys Carroll was competing for time at CB with down in Miami. Age 30, had a career-high 4 INTs last year. More experienced but doesn't have the size that Carroll does. Would still be an upgrade from Carmichael, although I think we may be done hunting for CBs with Fletcher/Williams/Boykin/Carroll in the mix now.

DRC - already mentioned. Better athletic talent than any of our CBs, but also not nearly the tackler any of our CBs are. I'd put Asante (also available) in the same category as DRC, except older and slower.

S Quintin Mikell - now 33, but still started 12 games last year for Carolina. He wouldn't be a long-term solution at SS, but could buy you one or two years if the idea is to draft a strong safety and have him learn for a little while.

* Interesting sidenote: both Jarius Byrd and T.J. Ward played for Chip Kelly at Oregon, as did Patrick Chung.

* I'd like to see them sign K Steven Hauschka. K and P are places where you can get significant upgrades for not a lot of $$$, and Hauschka's career trajectory reminds me of Akers', as a guy who kicked around different places early before finding his stride. Hauschka and Jones would give us arguably the best K/P unit in the league.
Eyrie
I think Hauschka is the only one on that list that would interest me.

I have bad memories of Kolb and Justice, so wouldn't want to rely on either. With no news on Vick, he may be back as our veteran #2 QB and Barbre is reasonable depth at T.

Agree we're largely set at CB, although I wouldn't be averse to a mid-round pick.

S is very much up in the air at the moment - to my mind we need a high draft pick and another veteran here.

My other needs would be a pass rushing OLB (none available) and more competition on the DL, plus draft picks to develop at G and WR.
nephillymike
By position, with their FA position rank per CBS sports (I only list the 34 compatible OLB, DE and DT's)

CB
6. DRC
7. Tillman
8. Thurmond

DT
7. Melton
8. Raji
9. Sims

DE
7. A. Smith

OLB
7. D. Smith

OG
1. T. Wharton
4. W. Colon

QB
1. Vick
2. Freeman

Melton or Raji
A. Smith
D. Smith
Vick
Either OG

Sign Vick, & Melton and roll the rest forward to 2016 when we'll think of ourselves to be good enough of a contender to justify it.
Zero
How about Alex Carrington or O'Brien Schofield? I hear Schofield was a medical reject of the Giants but maybe a good smoothie or two will fix what ails him.
nephillymike
Melton in heavy talks with Seahawks. sad.gif
nephillymike
Thurmond to the NYG sad.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
OT Winston Justice - I tend to think of Justice as a guy who's been around forever, but he's actually only 29 years old.
He has 43 career starts. We're set with Peters and Johnson as the starters, but we saw in 2012 what happens when you don't have OT depth.

Absolutely not. He isn't 'depth,' he's an empty chair. Osi Umenyiora should be forced to give him royalties for the rest of his life.
nephillymike
DRC to NYG.
TGryn
* Article here makes a case for signing Bears DT Corey Wootton:
Wootton, 6-6, 270 pounds, finished with 34 tackles and three sacks last season to go along with one forced fumble. The 26 year old is local product, having grown up in Rutherford, NJ. Young, long, and athletic, Wootton fits the bill as the kind of prospect the Eagles would be willing to and should spend money on.

Wootton did an outstanding job rushing the passer last season, finishing with 25 quarterback rushes and four quarterback hits. He was a disruptive force on the line of scrimmage in the passing game, batting down five passes -- more than double any player on the Eagles' defensive line last season. He also has excellent size at 6-6, 270 pounds -- which fits right into the Eagles philosophy of "big people beat up little people."Although the Eagles have plenty of talent on the defensive line, Wootton would bring experience to the unit without having to sign a much older veteran.

Teams may be waiting until he's further along in his rehab to bring him in.

* These ranked lists have done a good job keeping updated with signings:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown...-205834976.html
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown...219169-nfl.html

* Best remaining LB seems to be Denver's Shaun Phillips. He's age 32, though, which may not be what they're looking for (i.e. a short-term roster filler).
nephillymike
That would be good with me. We lost depth in losing Feathers so we have a spot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.