Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well it was tried before
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
bwc2112
Broncos and Saints blowing the salary cap(and others) to get the...... Dream Team.... ?
I remember a scenario like that... sort of vague I started drinking to much and don't remember alot.

Can't wait to see the backfire.

I like the ride the wave motif we have going. Gain and Train... we did it last year and believe we will be better this year.

1969- ? Eagles fan from New York's Canadian boarder now in North Carolina.

BWC2112 AKA Bruce

Phits
I hope that it works. Hopefully, it will eliminate the silly notion that a team can't be built through free agency....much like Russell Wilson has helped with the silly notion that mobile QB's can't win the SB. I had no issue when the Eagles tried to go "all in", and I wouldn't object to that approach in the right situation.

I'd take an experienced veteran over an unheralded draft pick any day.
nephillymike
Yeah it was tried before in 2011.

We had a 1st round pick and used it on Danny Watkins, a complete failure. For some reason, we still select first rounders.

Tis better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all !
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 12 2014, 07:12 PM) *

We had a 1st round pick and used it on Danny Watkins, a complete failure. For some reason, we still select first rounders.

I don't think that's the point. It's because football is the ultimate team sport that FA requires a more considered approach than just going for star performers. It doesn't mean a given "name" player wouldn't fit, but talent and past production alone won't necessarily improve the team performance. 2011 was a classic over play of the mistake but I could see where Kelly might believe that a less talented player who fits the Eagles evolving "culture" would be a better fit for the team than a guy who has had more production but for some reason isn't as good a personality for the team.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 13 2014, 05:27 AM) *
I don't think that's the point. It's because football is the ultimate team sport that FA requires a more considered approach than just going for star performers. It doesn't mean a given "name" player wouldn't fit, but talent and past production alone won't necessarily improve the team performance. 2011 was a classic over play of the mistake but I could see where Kelly might believe that a less talented player who fits the Eagles evolving "culture" would be a better fit for the team than a guy who has had more production but for some reason isn't as good a personality for the team.

Right now our culture is the 29th ranked defense in the NFL.
That's what needs improving.
Rick
Not the same scenario. The Broncos (obviously) are only 1 or 2 players away from a SB win. NO probably isn't that much farther behind. It's smart to go out and get a big name FA to try and put you over the hump when you've got your hands on that hump but can't quite get over it.
TGryn
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 12 2014, 04:12 PM) *

The 2011 "dream team"/"all-in" FA haul of Nnambi/DRC/Young/Babin/Smith/Jenkins turned in an 8-8 record; drafting Watkins and Jarrett was also part of the win-now, short-term thinking around that season. Continuing to do the same thing after failure is not the smart play.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (bwc2112 @ Mar 12 2014, 07:19 PM) *
Broncos and Saints blowing the salary cap(and others) to get the...... Dream Team.... ?
I remember a scenario like that... sort of vague I started drinking to much and don't remember alot.

Can't wait to see the backfire.

You mean all-world offenses, one in the SB last year, adding proven veteran defensive playmakers? Yeah, I can't wait to see
the crappy years Denver and NO have..... rolleyes.gif
Phits
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 13 2014, 07:50 AM) *
The 2011 "dream team"/"all-in" FA haul of Nnambi/DRC/Young/Babin/Smith/Jenkins turned in an 8-8 record; drafting Watkins and Jarrett was also part of the win-now, short-term thinking around that season. Continuing to do the same thing after failure is not the smart play.

It's not the same thing. It's a different team. The failure wasn't in the on-field acquisitions, it was in the coaching staff and not just AR.
TGryn
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 13 2014, 10:33 AM) *
It's not the same thing. It's a different team. The failure wasn't in the on-field acquisitions, it was in the coaching staff and not just AR.

I think Reid got infected by the "all-in" mentality with the coaches as well, when both Mudd and Washburn became available (after adding April the year before)...which made the Castillo hiring all the more inexplicable, but that's how it went.

I somewhat disagree that the problem wasn't with the players themselves, but I don't blame the front office for not seeing it at the time. Nnambi was the best CB in the game, DRC was a bad tackler but good cover corner, Jenkins had a solid if injury-specked career with GB, etc. That it all went bad (except for Babin) says a lot about the role team chemistry plays in a team's success or failure. This was a problem among the coaches as well as the players.

You can turn it around, though, so that you get better team chemistry by not going out and signing guys who are all about the $$$ first, which was a common characteristic of all the "dream team" FA guys (except for Jenkins, who at least showed some leadership as the ship was sinking in 2012).
JeeQ
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 13 2014, 03:58 AM) *
Not the same scenario. The Broncos (obviously) are only 1 or 2 players away from a SB win. NO probably isn't that much farther behind. It's smart to go out and get a big name FA to try and put you over the hump when you've got your hands on that hump but can't quite get over it.

Unfortunately the one player keeping them away from a Super Bowl win is Peyton Manning
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 13 2014, 01:16 PM) *
I think Reid got infected by the "all-in" mentality with the coaches as well, when both Mudd and Washburn became available (after adding April the year before)...which made the Castillo hiring all the more inexplicable, but that's how it went.

I somewhat disagree that the problem wasn't with the players themselves, but I don't blame the front office for not seeing it at the time. Nnambi was the best CB in the game, DRC was a bad tackler but good cover corner, Jenkins had a solid if injury-specked career with GB, etc. That it all went bad (except for Babin) says a lot about the role team chemistry plays in a team's success or failure. This was a problem among the coaches as well as the players.

You can turn it around, though, so that you get better team chemistry by not going out and signing guys who are all about the $$$ first, which was a common characteristic of all the "dream team" FA guys (except for Jenkins, who at least showed some leadership as the ship was sinking in 2012).

Just like with Nnamdi and Watkins, it was the pro and college scouts who blew it not the process itself.
Selfish, egomaniac asst coaches hurt also.
There is no excuse not to significantly improve this D in FA This year.
bwc2112
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 13 2014, 06:27 AM) *

Agreed
bwc2112
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 12 2014, 08:12 PM) *

I never loved our so called "Dream Team' from day one. that was the set up to fail. And all other teams were more than willing to help us on that one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.