Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Byrd to Saints
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
bounty101
Saints just gave Philadelphia the middle finger. Schefter says Byrd and Saints agree to a 6-year deal.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter
nephillymike
But but but how?

They had no cap space?

Where did they get the money??

Roger, Roger, they must be cheating!!!

Capology 101 - In a rising cap, with guys with large salaries on your books, anything is possible.

Well, he got his $9M per year, over six years, $28M guaranteed.

His cap hit for this year is prob around $7M, a guess.

Prolly restructured Brees and and just to add insult to injury, saved cap room in total after they did the two deals.

That's OK. We'll be the ones laughing in 2018 when he isn't worth the $9M per year they'll have to pay him.

We'll have $35M of rolled forward cap money left over by then and we can buy the world I tell you!!!

Until then, we'll be happy to know that none of our mediocre defensive players will be upset that someone is making so much money.

We'll be singing Kumba fucking Ya in the locker room, holding hands all the way.

Deja fucking vu all over again.

Sorry. I have to vent!!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 11 2014, 10:07 PM) *
But but but how?

The Saints eliminate us from the playoffs, dump a more expensive version of Chung on us, and gain arguably the best safety in the game. Yup, another day as an Eagles fan.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 11 2014, 10:15 PM) *
The Saints eliminate us from the playoffs, dump a more expensive version of Chung on us, and gain arguably the best safety in the game. Yup, another day as an Eagles fan.

Two words, plantar fasciitis, he missed five? games with it last year and it tends to be a recurring problem

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9626656/...antar-fasciitis

He may bring a big reward, but he runs the risk of going out again, Jenkins is a good safety, fits the birds scheme better, and has been largely injury free. Chung was a roll of the dice, there were nothing but crap safeties out there last year...from what I remember.

Look best way to build a winner in in the draft, not FA. You bring a star FA when you are clearly on the cusp, like 04 with TO. I think Howie won't go Joelo when he re ups the guys they draft, and it looks like guys really want to play for Chip. I like the way they are doing things it is not time to swing for the fences.

on another note, you think Graham is a happy camper now? Tagged him rather than pay him, while blowing big bucks on a FA. Does not bode well for his long term future there, that kind of drama is not needed.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 12 2014, 12:44 AM) *
Two words, plantar fasciitis, he missed five? games with it last year and it tends to be a recurring problem

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9626656/...antar-fasciitis

He may bring a big reward, but he runs the risk of going out again, Jenkins is a good safety, fits the birds scheme better, and has been largely injury free. Chung was a roll of the dice, there were nothing but crap safeties out there last year...from what I remember.

Look best way to build a winner in in the draft, not FA. You bring a star FA when you are clearly on the cusp, like 04 with TO. I think Howie won't go Joelo when he re ups the guys they draft, and it looks like guys really want to play for Chip. I like the way they are doing things it is not time to swing for the fences.

on another note, you think Graham is a happy camper now? Tagged him rather than pay him, while blowing big bucks on a FA. Does not bode well for his long term future there, that kind of drama is not needed.

About that draft,

We are depending on Wolf to be a factor, a 5th round pick who was rated the 10th best SS on one site, the 13th best SS on another of the draft picks last year. That was just among SS not including FS, who are normally more talented. Could work, but odds on Wolf are long. He also missed a bunch of games last year.

BTW, they can sign Graham long term and save money on this year's cap. Stay tuned for that.
TGryn
Saints made the cap room by weakening other parts of their team. Its a roll of the dice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown...-020300040.html
The Saints were a surprise contender for Byrd on Tuesday, because they had to release multiple veterans in the past few weeks just to get a little bit under the cap. Defensive end Will Smith, defensive backs Jabari Greer and Roman Harper and receiver Lance Moore were let go. Running back Darren Sproles was told he'd be released too, but the Saints hesitated on that when they started to get some trade offers.Most reports had the Saints about $2-3 million under the salary cap after those moves, and Sproles' release would clear another $3.5 million. It didn't seem like they'd use a majority of that precious cap room on one player, but that's basically what they did by signing Byrd. The Saints will spread the cap hit of the $28 million bonus over the six years of the contract, and with a small base salary this year his 2014 cap hit will be palatable. But the bill will eventually come due. The Saints will deal with that down the line.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 12 2014, 06:18 AM) *
About that draft,

We are depending on Wolf to be a factor, a 5th round pick who was rated the 10th best SS on one site, the 13th best SS on another of the draft picks last year. That was just among SS not including FS, who are normally more talented. Could work, but odds on Wolf are long. He also missed a bunch of games last year.

BTW, they can sign Graham long term and save money on this year's cap. Stay tuned for that.

Depending on Wolff? I don't think so, FA just started, there is this year's draft too. Byrd, as good as he is, is also a risk to take on, and given what they had to do to get him makes that risk even bigger. I just don't think Byrd is the be all end all player you think he is, but only time will tell. Yeah they might sign Graham now that he is tagged, but Byrd's contract is going to make it harder because I think Graham will think he is worth more than a safety...and he would be right.

Just saw this by Reuben Frank:

1. The Malcolm Jenkins backlash really surprised me. My Twitter feed hated the signing, and things got so crazy Tuesday evening that one follower actually posted that Jenkins is no better than Patrick Chung. Come on now. Jenkins is 26, durable, smart, versatile, started for a Super Bowl team, good locker room guy, good value. One of his strengths at 6-foot is his ability to line up and cover a tight end, something the Eagles have struggled with over the years. Is he a superstar? No. But you’re not going to have a superstar at every position, and for the Eagles, it was all about upgrading at safety. Jenkins is an upgrade. A significant one. This is like the Connor Barwin signing. Everybody talked about how his level of play dropped off in Houston in 2012, but once the Eagles got him in their system, and we actually saw him play, he turned out to be a heck of an addition. I expect the same from Jenkins this year. I think we’ll look back at this as a solid move.

2. As for Jairus Byrd, extraordinary talent, but I’d be skittish giving a guy with chronic plantar fasciitis $28 million guaranteed, which the Saints did. When you sign a player to a long-term, multi-million-dollar deal with a huge guaranteed bonus, you’re making a long-term commitment to that player, so it’s not just where will he be in 2014 or 2015 but where will he be in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Byrd is very good, but he’s not the fastest guy out there, and he’s not the healthiest. I think the Saints overpaid.

HobbEs
I think Ruben Frank nails it. Everyone wanted the home run in FA especially at a position of need...but ask anyone who's had chronic plantar fasciitis. It is no joke. It's an overuse injury and the only thing you can really do is rest it. I wouldn't be surprised if he Byrd misses a good chunk of time over the next few years dealing with this.
JeeQ
For that kind of money... I rather avoid the chance of getting Aso'd again. Given our 0% luck with high-priced defensive FAs
Reality Fan
I am stunned that folks are upset that we passed on Byrd......beyond the injury the contract he got is ridiculous.....ridiculous......I get wanting him but looking at what contracts are coming down the road it would have been even more ridiculous to hang that number on the board. With his recent injury issues I can see the posts now when he misses 3-4 games dealing with it next year.

I get the cap is rising again next year but you have several guys coming up for a new contract and I have to guess folks don't realize just how big a number Foles will get if he plays close, mind you only close, to last year...that is going to be a 12-16 million/year number for him alone.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.