Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We'll this doesn't look good
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/...agent-safeties/

Jenkins below Allen, a slither above Chung?

Ouch.
bounty101
Why are both NO safeties on the bottom of that list when they had one of the best defenses in the NFL last year? Doesn't compute.

Btw I don't think they're done signing FA safeties.
nephillymike
QUOTE (bounty101 @ Mar 11 2014, 08:34 PM) *
Why are both NO safeties on the bottom of that list when they had one of the best defenses in the NFL last year? Doesn't compute.

Btw I don't think they're done signing FA safeties.

I agree.

They'll re-sign FA N. Allen devil03.gif
nephillymike
Forgot to add the verbage to go along with the chart.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/...gents-safeties/
make_it_rain
PFF is a good resource, but definitely should be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, I am not impressed with the Jenkins signing at all (but I predicted it). First round talent that never lived up to the hype.

Main upside is measurables and athleticism, I read somewhere he could be refined into an Antrelle Rolle type player, which I think is a good analogy. Plus hes only 26.

Downside is tackling, ball skills, and he sucks ass in coverage. He had a pretty bad year this year.

I'm not ready to jump the gun just yet. It's only day one of FA. But.....if this question mark Jenkins is the only thing we have to show for free agency it will be a pretty big disappointment imo.

So..... Revis I guess?
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 11 2014, 08:22 PM) *
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/...agent-safeties/

Jenkins below Allen, a slither above Chung?

Ouch.

Well, it seems that it's what Kelly thinks that're really important here:
"We really liked Malcolm's versatility," Kelly said. "He can line up at either safety spot, can come in and make a tackle, and can play man-to-man as well. I had a chance to study him on tape leading up to the playoff game and really liked what I saw."

Here ...
TGryn
Kapadia's breakdown of Jenkins:
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/02/...alcolm-jenkins/
his standout skill is lining up against slot receivers and tight ends. Jenkins also had some good moments getting after the quarterback as a blitzer. But in other areas (playing deep, defending the run), he hasn't stood out...Jenkins is widely respected by coaches and teammates as a hard worker and film rat, who has been elected as a defensive captain each of the past two years.

We also added S Chris Maragos from Seattle, who sounds like competition/replacement for Colt Anderson more than anything else:
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/03/...safety-maragos/
Maragos (5-10, 200) spent the last three seasons with the Seahawks and was originally signed by the 49ers in 2010 as an undrafted free agent out of Wisconsin. The 27-year-old has played 103 snaps on defense in his four-year career, per Pro Football Focus, and has primarily made his contributions on special teams. He had 10 special teams tackles last season, nine in 2012 and 11 in 2011.
PhrankieG
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 12 2014, 07:41 AM) *
Kapadia's breakdown of Jenkins:
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/02/...alcolm-jenkins/

We also added S Chris Maragos from Seattle, who sounds like competition/replacement for Colt Anderson more than anything else:
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/03/...safety-maragos/

I wasn't hoping that Jenkins would be the route they went, but I remember liking him when he was drafted out of OSU. He's young and could get better since he was drafted at a CB. Verdict is out. Hopefully he turns into a stud (or just an improvement for that matter).

I agree about Maragos. Seems like a Anderson replacement. I was speaking with Ron Jaworski(he was a speaker at my company's conference in January) about that PHL vs NO playoff game. He said that after looking at the tape, the reason why NO had the big return that forced Williams to pull a horse collar at the end of the game was that Anderson left his lane and opened up a big hole. Which is odd since Anderson is typically solid on ST. Maybe the coaching staff is looking for an upgrade and cant shake that missed play!
bounty101
I'm impressed with the two recent additions. Kelly is all about solid play in all three facets of the game. Special teams were HUGE in last year's playoff run. Looks like it will be another strength this year, and I'm sure Kelly would prefer not to play so many starters on special teams if he didn't need to. (Let's hope Alex Henery plays a little better this season. He'll never have A+ range, so if he can't consistently make 35-yard field goals, he doesn't deserve a roster spot.)
PhrankieG
QUOTE (bounty101 @ Mar 12 2014, 12:37 PM) *
I'm impressed with the two recent additions. Kelly is all about solid play in all three facets of the game. Special teams were HUGE in last year's playoff run. Looks like it will be another strength this year, and I'm sure Kelly would prefer not to play so many starters on special teams if he didn't need to. (Let's hope Alex Henery plays a little better this season. He'll never have A+ range, so if he can't consistently make 35-yard field goals, he doesn't deserve a roster spot.)

Oh boy. I forgot about Henery...

I don't think he is garbage. But you cant tell me there isn't an upgrade out there on the market. I'd really like to see him gone, he's not terrible, but he sure can be frustrating.
Eyrie
QUOTE (bounty101 @ Mar 12 2014, 05:37 PM) *

I hope Henery doesn't play better this year, but only because I expect him to be on another team.

If we can't improve at K then Roseman and Kelly are asleep at the wheel.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 12 2014, 02:56 PM) *
I hope Henery doesn't play better this year, but only because I expect him to be on another team.

If we can't improve at K then Roseman and Kelly are asleep at the wheel.

Anyone for bringing back Akers? He's still very good, and certainly can hit the long ball (not to mention the goddam end zone).
PhrankieG
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 12 2014, 02:58 PM) *
Anyone for bringing back Akers? He's still very good, and certainly can hit the long ball (not to mention the goddam end zone).

Hope I'm not breaking rules with posting links, but if you sort by position you can look at a list of current FA kickers:

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

I think there are quite a few veteran upgrades.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (PhrankieG @ Mar 12 2014, 04:14 PM) *
Hope I'm not breaking rules with posting links, but if you sort by position you can look at a list of current FA kickers:

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

I think there are quite a few veteran upgrades.

Point is, we can do better than Henery.
make_it_rain
Is Hauschka still on the market?

Is there something I'm missing or some reason otherwise the Eagles haven't brought this guy in?

Does Henery have photos of Chip leaving Woody's or something?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 11 2014, 09:44 PM) *
PFF is a good resource, but definitely should be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, I am not impressed with the Jenkins signing at all (but I predicted it). First round talent that never lived up to the hype.

Main upside is measurables and athleticism, I read somewhere he could be refined into an Antrelle Rolle type player, which I think is a good analogy. Plus hes only 26.

Downside is tackling, ball skills, and he sucks ass in coverage. He had a pretty bad year this year.

I'm not ready to jump the gun just yet. It's only day one of FA. But.....if this question mark Jenkins is the only thing we have to show for free agency it will be a pretty big disappointment imo.

So..... Revis I guess?

Was in the car for a good portion of the day today and listened to a lot of sports on sat. and the one thing I heard from several different sources is that PFF ratings on secondary play is a load of horseshit because it is hard to differentiate man and zone and cover responsibility. nearly completely unreliable......

More importantly, Ray Didinger, hardly ever one to soft soap anything the Eagles do(he isn't anti Eagle, he is just honest) thinks Jenkins is perfect for this scheme and that he was a very good signing.

He specifically said that he is a very good cover safety and Diddy is a film junky so I have to put some stock in his observations. make no mistake, he is not an Ed Reed but Diddy said on a scale of 1-10 where Reed is a 10 in the eagles scheme Jenkins is or will be a 7.75 which is perfect for this team.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 12 2014, 05:44 PM) *
Was in the car for a good portion of the day today and listened to a lot of sports on sat. and the one thing I heard from several different sources is that PFF ratings on secondary play is a load of horseshit because it is hard to differentiate man and zone and cover responsibility. nearly completely unreliable......

More importantly, Ray Didinger, hardly ever one to soft soap anything the Eagles do(he isn't anti Eagle, he is just honest) thinks Jenkins is perfect for this scheme and that he was a very good signing.

He specifically said that he is a very good cover safety and Diddy is a film junky so I have to put some stock in his observations. make no mistake, he is not an Ed Reed but Diddy said on a scale of 1-10 where Reed is a 10 in the eagles scheme Jenkins is or will be a 7.75 which is perfect for this team.

I also heard Ray today and was coming in off the ledge when I heard Jaws' take on 97.5.

Jaws had many concerns, lack of playmaking ability, tackling etc. Said he watched the playoff game and he didn't stand out. He said however that he was rated the 4th best safety on his FA board and was definitely an upgrade over Chung.

So then I creep back on the window sill and I hear the interview on 97.5 from Saints announcer Bobby Herbert. Very straight to the point says he's a great guy, lacks big plays and that he will infuriate us with his poor tackling. Said he gets to the right spot and just doesn't wrap up.

Got to respect all three opinions. Ray and Jaws are two I respect . I also like Baldy but didn't hear his take.

You figure Herbert knows.

He was rated 3rd best S overall out of the sites I looked at for FA rankings. We'll see.

We've needed an impact safety and that was one position flush with FA's. Did we get it?
nephillymike
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 12 2014, 06:33 PM) *
I also heard Ray today and was coming in off the ledge when I heard Jaws' take on 97.5.

Jaws had many concerns, lack of playmaking ability, tackling etc. Said he watched the playoff game and he didn't stand out. He said however that he was rated the 4th best safety on his FA board and was definitely an upgrade over Chung.

So then I creep back on the window sill and I hear the interview on 97.5 from Saints announcer Bobby Herbert. Very straight to the point says he's a great guy, lacks big plays and that he will infuriate us with his poor tackling. Said he gets to the right spot and just doesn't wrap up.

Got to respect all three opinions. Ray and Jaws are two I respect . I also like Baldy but didn't hear his take.

You figure Herbert knows.

He was rated 3rd best S overall out of the sites I looked at for FA rankings. We'll see.

We've needed an impact safety and that was one position flush with FA's. Did we get it?

Baldi liked it
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/dav...66-c46e84edcecc
Birdman420
You know what, I'm all for Jenkins. I think he will be the perfect fit and enhance our locker room on top of it all.

I'm throwing down the bet that Byrd plays less then expected and we will be feeling warm and fuzzy about this deal during the season.
Zero
This from Jenkins:
"I can play deep. I'm a football junkie, so I can be the quarterback of the defense," said Jenkins, a team captain while in New Orleans. "I can still cover receivers in the slot. I can cover tight ends. I can blitz. And whenever I can do those things, when I have the freedom to move around and not be stagnant, that's when I've had my best years. I'm not your typical safety. It's kind of that hybrid that the league is moving to now with the bigger tight ends, the faster tight ends. You need guys that can be versatile, that can go down into the slot and you're not worried about them on receivers."
I'm hoping this is a move that will surprise most of his detractors because of HOW the Eagles use him. Even though he admitted he needs work on his tackling, I'm not betting he will improve there.
Zero
And this from the same article:
"Even before we played them, I think it was apparent by Week 4 or 5 that there was something different about this Eagle team and what Chip Kelly brought to the table and it caught the attention of a lot of people," said Jenkins. "That was my first impressions: that he knows how to win and knows what he is going to win with. They are trying to get players to fit his scheme and not necessarily the best players, but players that will buy into what he's selling. I've been a part of winning teams before, and that's where it starts."
Zero
And, if he's the leader he's reported to be, he's also replacing Avant. Now they need someone to be able to stand between DJax and Bicknell.

On a down note, does anyone remember the last bow tie wearing FA the Eagles signed?
Birdman420
Dahani Jones is the man! But not so much on the field I guess.... Loved his Tv show though!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 13 2014, 07:02 AM) *
And, if he's the leader he's reported to be, he's also replacing Avant. Now they need someone to be able to stand between DJax and Bicknell.

On a down note, does anyone remember the last bow tie wearing FA the Eagles signed?

I tell the bow tie wearing Jenkins, if he strums an imaginary guitar when he makes a routine play, he is cut on the spot!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 12 2014, 05:44 PM) *

Hey RF,

Did you happen to hear Ray on the WIP morning show? Trying to reassure Angelo about Jenkins, he basically said he liked him out of college and Ray knows he hasn't played well so far but he is young enough and has the tools to improve his game but can do a lot of things decently. I was like, what?

Come on out on the ledge. BYOB!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 13 2014, 07:41 PM) *
Hey RF,

Did you happen to hear Ray on the WIP morning show? Trying to reassure Angelo about Jenkins, he basically said he liked him out of college and Ray knows he hasn't played well so far but he is young enough and has the tools to improve his game but can do a lot of things decently. I was like, what?

Come on out on the ledge. BYOB!

I heard Ray talking again today about Jenkins. Says he thinks the guy could surprise a lot of people. Said he's been in the league five years and was really coming on in his second year then played for three different coordinators in three different systems with different responsibilities in three consecutive years. Sounds like he maybe was thinking too much. Ray thinks Jenkins will fit well in Davis' system and thinks he could end up being a pro bowler.

He also said he thinks the Eagles were concerned about Byrd's plantar fasciitis recurring. He made a good point that Byrd was in Oregon with Kelly and if Kelly thought enough of him as a player he likely would have tried harder to bring him to Philadelphia. Also said Byrd is fairly slow. Said Ward is an in the box SS and the Eagles are looking for safeties who have the ability to cover man to man.

Come in off the edge and have a beer.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 15 2014, 03:14 PM) *
I heard Ray talking again today about Jenkins. Says he thinks the guy could surprise a lot of people. Said he's been in the league five years and was really coming on in his second year then played for three different coordinators in three different systems with different responsibilities in three consecutive years. Sounds like he maybe was thinking too much. Ray thinks Jenkins will fit well in Davis' system and thinks he could end up being a pro bowler.

He also said he thinks the Eagles were concerned about Byrd's plantar fasciitis recurring. He made a good point that Byrd was in Oregon with Kelly and if Kelly thought enough of him as a player he likely would have tried harder to bring him to Philadelphia. Also said Byrd is fairly slow. Said Ward is an in the box SS and the Eagles are looking for safeties who have the ability to cover man to man.

Come in off the edge and have a beer.

Yeah, I heard him today too. He was more convincing than when Angelo questioned him. He mad a good point of a S being able to play man to man, but so much of what Rays says about him was " I really liked him in college and I know he has the tools to succeed etc"

I would feel better if he was someone who did succeed.

But, he seems like a nice guy and he is who we have so I wish all the best. Hopefully we'll get a shot at Pryor or Ha Ha in the draft.

All that said, I also had concerns about Byrd's feet problem, although did you hear the doc they had on today who seemed to down play it.

I just remember what it did to Bobby Taylor so the concern is justified.

What kind of beer you got?? I'm not coming off the ledge for any cheap mass produced domestics.
Zero
I'm giving the Chipster the benefit of knowing wtf he's doing for now. I did hear the doc and he did make it sound less than a crisis but I was also taken by the speed comment. I guess it depends on how a player is used.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 15 2014, 06:05 PM) *
I'm giving the Chipster the benefit of knowing wtf he's doing for now. I did hear the doc and he did make it sound less than a crisis but I was also taken by the speed comment. I guess it depends on how a player is used.

OK, I'll come in from the ledge for a Golden Monkey.

Now if you bribed me with a St. Bernardus ABT 12, I could be persuaded to sing non stop of our cap prudent free agency.

Just opened a Leffe. Smooth.
Zero
jumpclap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.