Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Veteran Backup QB??
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Here's a list of six possible veteran backup QB's and approximate price tags (based on ESPN Fa tracker and recent signings)

Matt Cassell just signed a two year $10M deal.

Chad Henne signed a two year $8M deal.

Assuming all of the following are backups, here's what we could be looking at:

Vick $3-$4M
McCown $3M
Campbell $3M
Schaub $3M
Sanchez $2M
Cousins (if cut, prolly $2- $3M). If not, a trade of a 4th rounder or other player.

I go Vick, then McCown, Schaub, Campbell. Pass on Cousins b/c of the pick and pass on Sanchez.

Anyone?
Zero
Agree on Vick but I bet he gets a starter job. After that probably Schaub then McCown. Not interested in Sanchez a little bit.
make_it_rain
Vick ideal, but chances are he ends up on Oakland or the Jets.

After that, Mccown is my guy. He stepped in played really well for Chicago this year. I'd take Schaub after that, then just shrug and give the job to Barkley. Sanchez stinks and I dont think any of the others are worth trading for.
canadianeagle
After Vick I like Shaub then Mcown
HOUSEoPAIN
Well we know there's no way Vick is back, so I'd go with McCown. I haven't met one Bears fan who didn't want to dump Cutler
and offer McCown a long term deal after last year.
TGryn
Another name: Kellen Clemens. Did a decent job filling in for Bradford last season.

After a certain point, though, I'd agree with MIR: just go in with Barkley as the backup, because the veteran QB coming in isn't likely to be much better. Then draft a rookie late to compete with Kinne as the 3rd QB.
Dreagon
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Mar 10 2014, 12:27 PM) *
After Vick I like Shaub then Mcown

Schaub is a pretty good bus driver...pretty much what you want in a backup QB.
Rick
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 10 2014, 03:09 PM) *
After a certain point, though, I'd agree with MIR: just go in with Barkley as the backup, because the veteran QB coming in isn't likely to be much better.

Huh? You don't think any veteran QB would be better than Barkley? You think very highly of that bum. Hell, I'd take Sanchez over Barkley. At least we know Sanchez is capable of running an NFL offense (even if badly). Barkley showed absolutely NOTHING last season. Heck, he showed LESS than nothing.
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 10 2014, 03:09 PM) *
Another name: Kellen Clemens. Did a decent job filling in for Bradford last season.

After a certain point, though, I'd agree with MIR: just go in with Barkley as the backup, because the veteran QB coming in isn't likely to be much better. Then draft a rookie late to compete with Kinne as the 3rd QB.

We did much better with Garcia and Vick as backups compared to M. McMahon
Pay for the experience. If Foles gets hurt, I want t know we still have a shot.
TGryn
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 10 2014, 04:14 PM) *
Huh? You don't think any veteran QB would be better than Barkley? You think very highly of that bum. Hell, I'd take Sanchez over Barkley. At least we know Sanchez is capable of running an NFL offense (even if badly). Barkley showed absolutely NOTHING last season. Heck, he showed LESS than nothing.

Rookies tend to look pretty bad their first few starts; Foles first three games were less than stellar, too. Also remember that Barkley was drafted as low as he was because he was still rehabbing from his USC shoulder injury during the draft process, and Roseman said he still wasn't 100% all last season.

There's lots of veteran QBs available who would be a step backwards. You don't just sign a guy with lots of experience just to sign a guy with lots of experience. Otherwise, might as well bring a guy like McNabb back, who was starting as recently as 2011 and I'm sure wouldn't mind another shot at playing after being out of the league for a couple of years.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 10 2014, 04:32 PM) *
Pay for the experience. If Foles gets hurt, I want t know we still have a shot.

Then the strategy should have been to throw the bank at Vick (or tag him), as he's the best veteran FA QB out there. Point being, the really good ones will want a chance to at least compete to start, and that's not going to happen here. Limits the options considerably.
Reality Fan
I would take Sanchez in a minute.....tha guy was not a bad QB......he played on a shit team.......hell his last year starting I think his top WR was Jeremy Kerley (I know...who is that). Sanchez had a terrible O line to go with a terrible WR core.....I don't care who QB'd them they were going to suck.....and then the circus began. He is 4-2 in the postseaon with 9 tds vs 3 picks.....he would be a great pick up with these WRs.

I think Barkley will also be much improved......
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2014, 08:20 PM) *
I would take Sanchez in a minute.....tha guy was not a bad QB......he played on a shit team.......hell his last year starting I think his top WR was Jeremy Kerley (I know...who is that). Sanchez had a terrible O line to go with a terrible WR core.....I don't care who QB'd them they were going to suck.....and then the circus began. He is 4-2 in the postseaon with 9 tds vs 3 picks.....he would be a great pick up with these WRs.

I think Barkley will also be much improved......

Sanchez stinks. His struggles have been a result of his own futility and not because he plays on a "shit team". The Jets play a conservative type traditional offense with MS at QB and he still manages to repeatedly turn the ball over. He makes the mistakes of a rookie and hasn't improved his game since being one. He stinks (as an NFL QB) the same way Tebow did/does, just not with the same futility. A decent QB on NYJ and they would look like a contender.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 10 2014, 10:22 PM) *
Sanchez stinks. His struggles have been a result of his own futility and not because he plays on a "shit team". The Jets play a conservative type traditional offense with MS at QB and he still manages to repeatedly turn the ball over. He makes the mistakes of a rookie and hasn't improved his game since being one. He stinks (as an NFL QB) the same way Tebow did/does, just not with the same futility. A decent QB on NYJ and they would look like a contender.

typical of you......prattle of the uninformed......He played reasonably well with crap....they overpaid for a horribly overrated Holmes and guys like Cotchery and Kerley were provided as WRs......I followed them because I was desperate in fantasy football and had to take Cotchery....

He had a typical rookie year and was not bad until it all came crumbling down in NY. He had crap for an offensive line and the coach is a joke. I am not a big Sanchez fan but football, something you repeated demonstrate a complete ignorance of, is football. With this lineand these WRs he would be a solid backup.

Anyone who thinks that NYJ are just a decent Qb away from anything is simply a moron.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2014, 10:32 PM) *
typical of you......prattle of the uninformed......He played reasonably well with crap....they overpaid for a horribly overrated Holmes and guys like Cotchery and Kerley were provided as WRs......I followed them because I was desperate in fantasy football and had to take Cotchery....

He had a typical rookie year and was not bad until it all came crumbling down in NY. He had crap for an offensive line and the coach is a joke. I am not a big Sanchez fan but football, something you repeated demonstrate a complete ignorance of, is football. With this lineand these WRs he would be a solid backup.

Anyone who thinks that NYJ are just a decent Qb away from anything is simply a moron.

I would be curious to know Sanchez' stats versus other NYJ Qb's over the last three years. As we're comparing all of them playing in the same bad offense, it would be interesting to know.
Rick
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 10 2014, 07:40 PM) *
Rookies tend to look pretty bad their first few starts; Foles first three games were less than stellar, too. Also remember that Barkley was drafted as low as he was because he was still rehabbing from his USC shoulder injury during the draft process, and Roseman said he still wasn't 100% all last season.

There's lots of veteran QBs available who would be a step backwards. You don't just sign a guy with lots of experience just to sign a guy with lots of experience. Otherwise, might as well bring a guy like McNabb back, who was starting as recently as 2011 and I'm sure wouldn't mind another shot at playing after being out of the league for a couple of years.

I'm not saying to not pay for experience. I just didn't see one thing to make me believe Barkley will ever be capable of running an NFL offense. Had nothing to do with his injury. He looked totally lost. Many other rookies have looked less loss than he did. Foles certainly did in his first few games. You expect mistakes but you also expect them to look like they have a clue. Barkley never did. Not in preseaon nor in his time playing in the regular season.

I can't think of any veteran QBs who have played (and started) who would be a step backwards from Barkley. He sucks.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2014, 10:32 PM) *

You live in a fantasy world where just because you said it, you believe it to be true. The Jets have played a conservative vanilla offense since Sanchez' rookie season. He still doesn't get it. He turns the ball over too much. Over the last 4 seasons his turnovers have been second to the other NY QB. 20 lost fumbles (43 in total) and 69 INT's. He has a career rating of 71.7 (still not as good as Tebow). Any success that NYJ experienced was a result of a good running game and outstanding D.

As for the name calling and insults, it is typical of you. Carry on.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 11 2014, 05:59 AM) *
I would be curious to know Sanchez' stats versus other NYJ Qb's over the last three years. As we're comparing all of them
playing in the same bad offense, it would be interesting to know.

Sanchez was an early first round pick, got a huge contract, and has been a starter his whole career. McCown is a career
journeyman, and knows he's a career backup. Sanchez will attract a circus, McCown won't. Based on last year, McCown is also
better. Why are we even discussing this?
koolaidluke
I think Barkley should be the backup.

The problem with Vick is twofold: 1. I don't trust him to stay healthy, even for a couple of games 2. if Foles struggles, there will be pressure to go with Vick and I hate QB controversies.

Nobody in their right mind would ever demand Barkley be made the starter so having Barkley as the backup ends any controversy before it even starts.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 11 2014, 03:26 PM) *
Nobody in their right mind would ever demand Barkley be made the starter so having Barkley as the backup ends any
controversy before it even starts.

Awesome logic - so why don't we just make Stephen Hawking the backup then? Sure he can't play, but nobody will ever want
him to be the starter.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 11 2014, 10:20 AM) *
You live in a fantasy world where just because you said it, you believe it to be true. The Jets have played a conservative vanilla offense since Sanchez' rookie season. He still doesn't get it. He turns the ball over too much. Over the last 4 seasons his turnovers have been second to the other NY QB. 20 lost fumbles (43 in total) and 69 INT's. He has a career rating of 71.7 (still not as good as Tebow). Any success that NYJ experienced was a result of a good running game and outstanding D.

As for the name calling and insults, it is typical of you. Carry on.

It is not a matter of saying making it true.....the jets built a defense at the expense of their offense. They have a terrible offensive line and mediocre or worse skill players...which one of those do you dispute? Name me a good WR....they have had decent running backs and that is about it. Do you also dispute his playoff record?

He is a good candidate for a backup particularly because of his playoff record and those are simple facts, not supposition. By the way...Tebow had a Pro Bowl Wr and 2 good WR to complement him......and he still sucked. I can tak a 2 year sample of Sanchez and make him look better much like Tebow but no 2 years that Sanchez played include any Pro Bowl players at all in the skill positions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.