Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mathis #2 Herremans #43
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1949461...-guards/page/70

We got really lucky with Mathis. He was the only dream of that team of free agents!!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 8 2014, 02:25 PM) *
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1949461...-guards/page/70

We got really lucky with Mathis. He was the only dream of that team of free agents!!

Yeah he's great - but what's up with ranking the top 70 guards?!?!? So basically, every team's starters plus 6 backups? Meaning Herremans is ranked as below mediocre.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 8 2014, 05:37 PM) *
Yeah he's great - but what's up with ranking the top 70 guards?!?!? So basically, every team's starters plus 6 backups? Meaning Herremans is ranked as below mediocre.

Check out that site. They rank tons of players for all positions, top 1,000 overall.

Foles is 14th.

So T.H. is the 11th best 2nd OG in the league. Not too good. Mathis is a beast!
Flying Dutchman
Most observers think Heeremans came on in the second half of the year and played very well. It took him a few games to change his style and his position from years of LG and some LT to RG. Plus, he was dealing with a rookie RT alongside him and according to Johnson was a really good teacher and influence. He seems more like a very competent and quiet all-for -the-team guy.
Reality Fan
I think Dutch makes a great point. Guards look much better when the tackle they play alongside is playing well. Mathis is very good and I was not a big Herremans guy but he really did get his game together in the 2nd half of the season...whether that is because Johnson got better or Herremans figured out the spot but he was a different player. We are in good shape with both of them.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 9 2014, 04:55 PM) *
I think Dutch makes a great point. Guards look much better when the tackle they play alongside is playing well. Mathis is very good and I was not a big Herremans guy but he really did get his game together in the 2nd half of the season...whether that is because Johnson got better or Herremans figured out the spot but he was a different player. We are in good shape with both of them.

I like Herremans but he was really bad in preseason and the first half of the year and this was with a nice balanced attack of good running.

Some could have been Johnson for sure, but I think we need a solid backup at the least as insurance. Todd is up there in years.

My preference is a mid level FA who is ready to compete and play but I could be OK with a mid round pick in the draft, knowing that he won't be ready until midseason at the earliest.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 9 2014, 08:40 PM) *
I like Herremans but he was really bad in preseason and the first half of the year and this was with a nice balanced attack of good running.

Some could have been Johnson for sure, but I think we need a solid backup at the least as insurance. Todd is up there in years.

My preference is a mid level FA who is ready to compete and play but I could be OK with a mid round pick in the draft, knowing that he won't be ready until midseason at the earliest.

You cannot discount the need for chemistry on the Oline, and given the whole line is intact from last year where they played 16 games together, it would be foolish to replace any of them. The line got better as the year went on, so starting to look for better backups, ones who could start with some time and training, seems the logical path.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.