Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Sixers Fans Out There?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Understand if no, but don't want to put time in a post if nobody is interested.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 22 2014, 12:14 PM) *

Yes, and I'm excited for next season. I love what they've done in the past year, and we're already almost through our 'throwaway' season. We'll have a couple first round picks next year (potentially the #1 or #2 overall), MCW is a star in the making, and Noel could be great. It's not a stretch to say we'll be contending next year.
Reality Fan
While I think even draming that we could contend next year is crazy I do love what they have done. They are clearing out the drecks of subpar "top players" while clearing cap space, stocking up on draft picks and developing MCW. This team is 2 years way from being good but at least they are laying the foundation to be great. Clearly Hinkie knew he had to demolish the franchise before he could rebuild it and I have no problem with them being terrible right now to wash away the nightmare personnel decisions this organization has made for 15 years or more. I particularly loved ridding itself of Evan Turner. WHile he seems to be a good guy he was just another guy with skills who had no desire to be great. That draft decision was just another in a long line of disasters.

At least Hinkie has the balls to make the tough moves, that is the best first step. Between these moves and the next draft he has the chance to make this a top team for years.
TGryn
So at the end of the day, looks like this was the ins-and-outs:

OUT:
G Evan Turner (INDIANA)
C Spencer Hawes (CLEVELAND)
F Lavoy Allen (INDIANA)
conditional 2nd round pick (to LA CLIPPERS)
possible undisclosed considerations in Eric Maynor+picks trade (as part of Andre Miller Wash/Denver trade)

IN:
F Danny Granger (from Indiana)
G Eric Maynor (from Washington)
C Henry Sims (from Cleveland)
C Byron Mullens (from LA Clippers)
F Earl Clark (from Cleveland, since waived by 76ers)
2014 second-round pick (CLEVELAND)
2014 second-round pick (MEMPHIS)
2015 second-round pick (GOLDEN STATE)
2015 second-round pick (NEW ORLEANS)
2016 second-round pick (DENVER)
2018 second-round pick (LA CLIPPERS)

from twitter:
Jody McDonald ?@jodymacman 23h
How valuable are 2nd round NBA picks? Last weeks Rising Stars game had 18 players...all 1st round picks, no 2nd rounders. #crapshootatbest

The main thing was getting cap space and maximizing lottery balls via getting rid of guys in Turner and Hawes who might actually help them win games this year. I think they accomplished that. It sounds iffy whether Granger will ever play a game for the Sixers, and the rest of the guys are journeymen at best.
HOUSEoPAIN
While I think even draming that we could contend next year is crazy I do love what they have done.

I'm assuming we get one of the top two picks. If we get Wiggins, and have him join MCW in his 2nd year and a healthy Noel, I think we're automatically in the running. If we
don't get one of the top two picks, we still get a couple damn good players and next year can make some real noise, while maybe not contending for a title. And who knows,
if we're an above average team at the trade deadline next year, maybe we can trade for that final piece from another team who's tanking, and be in the mix. After all, Evan
Turner has a chance to win a title all of a sudden.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 22 2014, 12:14 PM) *

On a side note, on Monday the Sixers play the Bucks, the only team with a worse record than us. It's kind of funny thinking about this, but this is a very meaningful game, as
it could end up being the difference in who gets the worst record in the league by the end of the year. Tanking is something that everyone knows happens in the NBA, yet
nobody talks about it for obvious reasons - how the hell does a team prepare for a game like this? The Sixers know damn well their management wants them to lose, as does
the coach - and the fans are proactively rooting for it. Does the front office give the coach a phone call, and tell him to rest some players tonight? This shows what a joke the
NBA has become - GO BUCKS!
nephillymike
Thanks TG for the summary. Saved me the time and the headache.

The overwhelming majority think that Hinkie is a genius.

Do you know how easy it is to blow a team up when all you get in return are second round picks, a few wash-ups, and a decent player who won't play here?

Pretty damn easy.

You want cap space?

Easy. Trade decent players for 2nd round picks and get back expiring contracts and/or guys who won't play here and are cut or bought out.

It is incredibly easy.

The hard part is watching the empty seats, the listless team and some young guys developing bad habits in a bad situation.

And selling the fan base when next year will be as bad.

And making the right draft picks and mid signings to make this team marginally better while you wait for the 2015 lottery to add yet another piece.

And after NEXT year's draft you will have MCW, Noel, a stud from the 2014 year draft, a decent player with Hornets pick and another lottery pick in 2015 in a weak draft.

So you'll have three up and comers, and probably hit on one of the two NO and 2015 picks.

Four young players, one sixth man type and another sixth man type in T. Young.

I don't think that is enough to get a big FA to come our way in 2015-16, no matter how much cap space we have.

We need to show the ability to play well first. Which let's say we are decent in '15-16, then maybe we land a good FA in 2016-17.

You psyched yet??

And about those 2nd round picks. What do we have eight now? How did we make out on the last eight?

'13 Pierre Jackson Baylor 42nd pick
'13 Glen Rice GIT (not that Glen Rice) 35th pick
'12 Justin Hamilton LSU 45th
'12 Torneka Shengelia 54th
'11 Lavoy Allen Temple 50th
'07 Kyrylo Fesenko 38th
'05 Louis Williams 45th
'03 Pacelis Morlende 50th

So we got Sweet Lou, Lavoy Allen who played well for 1/2 year and a bunch of useless tits on a bull.
And you can cross Allen off the list because we had to trade him to get the pick, a wash!

Psyched yet??

Hey I know it had to be done and I'm OK with it. But man it's frustrating. The NBA that is.

The NBA is one fucked up league when you have to completely gut a team in the hopes of being bad enough to compete for a conference championship appearance three years after you throw the dynamite into the gunpowder room!! (Really four years if you count trading of Holliday as the first toss of the stick of dynamite)

How's this for a slogan change

Current slogan is:
"76ers..........Together We Build"

How about:
"76ers.........Together We Fucking Grow Old Waiting"

Thank God for the NFL!!
TGryn
On 2nd round picks, if you go back a bit further you find Kyle Korver in '03 (technically taken by the Nets, but traded to Philly the same night) and Todd MacCulloch in '99. Jody Mac's point that you're not going to get obviously elite talent is correct, and some of those second round misses were trying to find the next Manu Ginobli by taking obscure foreign players and hoping to hit gold on one of them. I think a more profitable use of them is to aim for guys who are solid but not spectacular guys in college - probably juniors and seniors, since guys who are clear NBA talents aren't going to stick around in college that long - and hope they develop enough to bolster the bench/2nd team so you have decent depth while getting those elite guys via the lottery.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 22 2014, 04:51 PM) *
On a side note, on Monday the Sixers play the Bucks, the only team with a worse record than us. It's kind of funny thinking about this, but this is a very meaningful game, as
it could end up being the difference in who gets the worst record in the league by the end of the year. Tanking is something that everyone knows happens in the NBA, yet
nobody talks about it for obvious reasons - how the hell does a team prepare for a game like this? The Sixers know damn well their management wants them to lose, as does
the coach - and the fans are proactively rooting for it. Does the front office give the coach a phone call, and tell him to rest some players tonight? This shows what a joke the
NBA has become - GO BUCKS!

We'll fuck it up.

That's what we do.

Exhibit A

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1968.htm (1-9-1 after 11 games) They lose last three

Exhibit B

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/1968.htm (0-11 after 11 games) We win two of last three

Exhibit C

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1969/draft.htm

And instead of jamming a pin into your eyeball, take a look at who we passed on and went in the next pick.

We're from Philly. That's how we roll.

Bet the house on the Sixers Monday
nephillymike
Upon further review, look at this lineup for 2014-15

C - TBD Veteran or could draft McCauley-Stein at #11 or maybe Embiid at #2 in this year's draft.
PF -N. Noel
SF- '14 draft pick (ours) 2nd pick = Parker or Wiggins or maybe T. Young if we go C and SG with '14 picks.
SG - '14 draft pick from NO 11th pick = Z. Levine SG UCLA (Remember MCW was the 11th pick) or TBD Veteran
PG - MCW (probable '13-14 ROY)
6th - T. Young or TBD veteran if we don't draft SF and Young fills in there.

That lineup may just be too good for a lottery pick in '15.

How many wins does the above lineup get you? At least an 8th p/o spot I would think in the East. No?

Do you think we need to do some more tanking next year, get rid of T. Young and anyone else other than the five above who can walk and chew gum at the same time, or do we just play straight up and try to win.

Believe it or not, I had originally forgotten about Noel when I first posted!!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 23 2014, 12:06 PM) *

C - TBD Veteran or could draft McCauley-Stein at #11 or maybe Embiid at #2 in this year's draft.
PF -N. Noel
SF- '14 draft pick (ours) 2nd pick = Parker or Wiggins or maybe T. Young if we go C and SG with '14 picks.
SG - '14 draft pick from NO 11th pick = Z. Levine SG UCLA (Remember MCW was the 11th pick) or TBD Veteran

How many wins does the above lineup get you? At least an 8th p/o spot I would think in the East. No?

Do you think we need to do some more tanking next year, get rid of T. Young and anyone else other than the five above who can walk and chew gum at the same time, or do we just play straight up and try to win.

Believe it or not, I had originally forgotten about Noel when I first posted!!

You forgot about Noel, I didn't - that's why I'm excited for next year and beyond. If Young is our 6th man, we're contenders. Two first-rounders added to Noel and MCW,
plus add the 'final piece' via trade, and we're good. The above lineup, assuming we get one of those top picks, puts us just below the top of the East - add someone mid-year
via trade, once we see what we have, and we have our future. NO MORE TANKING AFTER THIS YEAR!
nephillymike
Hey HOP,

Hope you didn't take my advice and bet the house on the Sixers.

Down by 25, 2-1/2 minutes left in the 3rd.

Now that's a tanking to be proud of.

Should leave us 3.5 games off the basement floor.

We may not win another game this year!!
HobbEs

PF -N. Noel

Where we pick in the draft will determine a lot (I know, thank you Captain Obvious!) but at this point Embiid is the consensus #1. If we're lucky enough to land him then I could see a Noel/Embiid front court as we go for the twin towers look.

Otherwise, I think the main target will be Wiggins with our pick. Depending on where the Pels pick is we would then go for a SG or a PF. I keep hearing Brown talking about spacing with a Stretch 4 so maybe he likes Vonleh? Noel will most likely be playing Center for us.

We also have a TON of cap room...enough to go out and sign a Chris Bosh or Carmelo Anthony. I've heard we could also be players for LBJ but I don't think he leaves Miami. We could potentially be looking at something like this:

C - Noel
PF - Bosh/Anthony (or maybe Vonleh)
SF - Wiggins
SG - '14 Draft pick (would love to see Exum)
PG - MCW
6/7 - Thad Young, Tony Wroten

Also, if we don't buy out Granger maybe we can get him at a decent price to mentor Wiggins the way he mentored Paul. If that's the case then he slides in at SF and Wiggins moves to SG. That's a tall, fast and athletic lineup.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 24 2014, 08:52 PM) *
Hey HOP,

Hope you didn't take my advice and bet the house on the Sixers.

Down by 25, 2-1/2 minutes left in the 3rd.

Now that's a tanking to be proud of.

Should leave us 3.5 games off the basement floor.

We may not win another game this year!!

laugh.gif

If you bet on the Sixers, you deserve to be poor!

I was partying at the Madison Club last night, watching an awesome game between the Knicks and Mavs, and got to revel in the misery of 19,000 New Yorkers when Dirk's buzzer-beater bounced off the rim straight into the air, and right through the basket. Good times.

We got slaughtered by.....the Milwaukee Bucks. At home. I can't wait for that draft!
TGryn
Was looking around this site tonight, and found what I think might be some of the method behind Hinkie's obsession with hoarding 2nd round picks. If the Sixers finish bottom 14 both this year and next, then the 1st round pick they owe the Celtics (via the Heat as part of the Arnett Moultrie trade) gets converted to 2nd round picks in 2015 and 2016. Given where they are, the "grand plan" probably assumes they won't make the playoffs next year as well, so Boston will end up with a couple of those seconds that were traded for. The Thunder also have a claim on a 2nd rounder which won't be awarded in 2014 due to protection, but its unclear if that gets transferred to 2015/2016 or extinguished.

Its still an abnormally large hoard of 2nds, but maybe not as big as it seems at first glance.
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 14 2014, 10:22 PM) *
Was looking around this site tonight, and found what I think might be some of the method behind Hinkie's obsession with hoarding 2nd round picks. If the Sixers finish bottom 14 both this year and next, then the 1st round pick they owe the Celtics (via the Heat as part of the Arnett Moultrie trade) gets converted to 2nd round picks in 2015 and 2016. Given where they are, the "grand plan" probably assumes they won't make the playoffs next year as well, so Boston will end up with a couple of those seconds that were traded for. The Thunder also have a claim on a 2nd rounder which won't be awarded in 2014 due to protection, but its unclear if that gets transferred to 2015/2016 or extinguished.

Its still an abnormally large hoard of 2nds, but maybe not as big as it seems at first glance.

The flip side of what you say is depressing.

If we make the playoffs next year, we owe the Celts our #1 pick.
Which probably means more tanking, even with the young talent we have, which should be a low playoff seed worthy.

I was hoping we'd be good enough to try to win games next year.

Man is the NBA one fucked up league!! There's got to be a better way.
make_it_rain
I'm going to see them play the Grizzlies tonight.

20 in a row baby!

nephillymike
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 15 2014, 12:41 PM) *

20 in a row baby!

You are a sick pup MIR!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 15 2014, 01:41 PM) *

20 in a row baby!

I assume you're getting high in the parking lot pre-game.....
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 15 2014, 04:53 PM) *
I assume you're getting high in the parking lot pre-game.....

I hear that's recommended for most any NBA game. laugh.gif
nephillymike
how was it Rain??
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 16 2014, 11:33 AM) *
how was it Rain??

They lost 103-77.....he hasn't answered you yet because he's probably hanging from a rope in his closet.
nephillymike
Milwaukee is pissing me off.

We lose to them by twenty and these SOB's won't take that momentum for a few more wins?

Still two behind.

We need to lose about twenty more!!

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings
make_it_rain
It was watchable for about 1.7 quarters. huh.gif

Some day, maybe a few years from now, we'll look back on this season and say we were there. Witnessing maybe the worst team in Philadelphia sports history. Its kind of significant from a historical perspective.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Mar 16 2014, 04:25 PM) *
Some day, maybe a few years from now, we'll look back on this season and say we were there. Witnessing maybe the worst team in Philadelphia sports history. Its kind of
significant from a historical perspective.

It's a necessary evil, and even next year could be a hell of a lot of fun, all it takes is one great player. However, my memory of this season will be winning tickets to Bynum's
return, and us kicking the Cavs ass. biggrin.gif

I also have some good video of the crowd booing him.

Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 14 2014, 10:35 PM) *
Man is the NBA one fucked up league!! There's got to be a better way.

There is a better way, having a better front office.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 22 2014, 04:37 PM) *
I'm assuming we get one of the top two picks. If we get Wiggins, and have him join MCW in his 2nd year and a healthy Noel, I think we're automatically in the running. If we
don't get one of the top two picks, we still get a couple damn good players and next year can make some real noise, while maybe not contending for a title. And who knows,
if we're an above average team at the trade deadline next year, maybe we can trade for that final piece from another team who's tanking, and be in the mix. After all, Evan
Turner has a chance to win a title all of a sudden.

I am fairly certain they will be sub 500 next year but more competitive. They will have basically 3 lottery players with no NBA experience....that makes it very tough to win next year but it is necessary that they play to develop them....this team will be good again....just not next year...they will be better and fun to watch but they will need seasoning before they become above average
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.