Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooper or Maclin
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Folks are saying that there is interest in Maclin and it will take a three year deal.

Do you sign both?
If only one, who?
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 8 2014, 01:24 PM) *
Folks are saying that there is interest in Maclin and it will take a three year deal.

Do you sign both?
If only one, who?

With you guys cap space it might make sense to try and keep them both so you can focus on other areas during the draft
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Feb 8 2014, 02:50 PM) *
With you guys cap space it might make sense to try and keep them both so you can focus on other areas during the draft

I agree, but I would still pick up a 4th r ound wr to replace avant. Ideally, sign cooper and Macklin and Byrd, then go olb, cb,de in the first three rounds, wr 4th, og in the 5th.
make_it_rain
Maclin's last two tweets have left some food for thought....

Interesting

Howie recently came out and stated that negotiations with Mac and Cooper are "complicated" due to such a strong draft class for WRs. My guess is that he was using that for leverage to try to get them to take team friendly deals, and now theyre getting into some preliminary negotiations and Maclin is deciding to push back a bit. Still, with the Jets interested in Maclin you have to wonder how it will pan out.

I'd like to get them both resigned, mostly to use the first few picks on the draft on defense and maybe OL depth.

nephillymike
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Feb 8 2014, 04:23 PM) *
Maclin's last two tweets have left some food for thought....

Interesting

Howie recently came out and stated that negotiations with Mac and Cooper are "complicated" due to such a strong draft class for WRs. My guess is that he was using that for leverage to try to get them to take team friendly deals, and now theyre getting into some preliminary negotiations and Maclin is deciding to push back a bit. Still, with the Jets interested in Maclin you have to wonder how it will pan out.

I'd like to get them both resigned, mostly to use the first few picks on the draft on defense and maybe OL depth.

That tweet doesn't sound good. I think nyj up the ante higher than we wanted to go.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 8 2014, 04:28 PM) *
That tweet doesn't sound good. I think nyj up the ante higher than we wanted to go.

But the Jets don't have a QB to throw him the ball. They need to get their priorities in order.

Edit: I guess I forgot about them getting Geno Smith. I'm hardly sold on him, but I guess it does make sense to try and give him a chance with some solid receivers.
Jax
I like them both. I particularly like Cooper's competitiveness. He's a gamer.
Zero
If they sign one of the two, won't they need to look WR earlier in the draft? If that's the case, does another position become more important in FA?

Seems to me that if Mac goes to another team they'll need to look at using that FA $ to get a need position before the draft. I'd still love to see a guy like Benjamin with wings on his helmet even if the defense is in greater need.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 13 2014, 08:08 AM) *
If they sign one of the two, won't they need to look WR earlier in the draft? If that's the case, does another position become more important in FA?

Seems to me that if Mac goes to another team they'll need to look at using that FA $ to get a need position before the draft. I'd still love to see a guy like Benjamin with wings on his helmet even if the defense is in greater need.

He could be a Pro Bowler but his hands certainly haven't reminded anyone of CC or Larry Fitz.
PhrankieG
Hey guys...New around here. Keep them both. If that is not possible, keep Maclin.

This draft is way too deep at WR. Maclin has a lot of talent and I hope he can get healthy and stay that way. I like Cooper, but I don't think he has as high of a ceiling as Maclin. I feel that a Cooper can be replaced more easily. I like the idea of Maclin in CK's offense. Shape up that defense and 2014 could be a lot of fun.
Eyrie
QUOTE (PhrankieG @ Feb 24 2014, 06:19 PM) *
Hey guys...New around here. Keep them both. If that is not possible, keep Maclin.

This draft is way too deep at WR. Maclin has a lot of talent and I hope he can get healthy and stay that way. I like Cooper, but I don't think he has as high of a ceiling as Maclin. I feel that a Cooper can be replaced more easily. I like the idea of Maclin in CK's offense. Shape up that defense and 2014 could be a lot of fun.

Welcome!

I agree with you on who to keep, but for a different reason. If anything happened to Jackson I'd be far more comfortable with Macklin as the #1 than Cooper.
MrNawts
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/...ran-wr-2014.htm

According to this Maclin was offered a one year deal and Cooper will walk due to the FA market
Rick
As much as I like Maclin, who knows what he'll be like after coming off the surgery. Also, he's no spring chicken any longer. This draft seems pretty good for WRs from what I've heard.

So I'd say keep Cooper--we really need that kind of guy who will go make the tough catches in tough situations. No, he's not a #1 but he plays his role very well. He is competitive, never gives up on a play and is tough. We haven't had these traits in any of our receivers in a long time around here.

Who knows is Maclin comes back with #1-type ability any longer? We need to look towards drafting someone and/or look towards FA market.

Also, how many good years does Maclin have left in him--if any? His age is definitely a concern.

I'd love for him to be here but we have to look at the facts on him--at least what we know vs what we don't know about him at this point.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 24 2014, 03:13 PM) *
Welcome!

I agree with you on who to keep, but for a different reason. If anything happened to Jackson I'd be far more comfortable with Macklin as the #1 than Cooper.
All true. Kilts be proud. biggrin.gif
Zero
QUOTE (MrNawts @ Feb 24 2014, 06:32 PM) *
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/...ran-wr-2014.htm

According to this Maclin was offered a one year deal and Cooper will walk due to the FA market
The questions I have with that article: I thought the Eagles had lots of cap room, and if the draft is so deep in WR how does that make Coop an attractive target at big $?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 24 2014, 03:13 PM) *
Welcome!

This is a good point, and I agree that would lead to Maclin.

However, when I ask this question it leads me to Cooper:

Who do you want to play #2 to DJax's #1?

I say Cooper because two smaller WR's will likely lead to a resurfacing of red zone problems and Cooper was real good in the tight spots of the end zone.

Never been Maclin's strength.

Do you get the guy who makes the better #1 on a DJax injury, or the #2 who better compliments our existing #1??
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 24 2014, 07:47 PM) *

I say Cooper because two smaller WR's will likely lead to a resurfacing of red zone problems and Cooper was real good in the tight spots of the end zone.

Do you get the guy who makes the better #1 on a DJax injury, or the #2 who better compliments our existing #1??

were the rz issues a result of playcalling and qb play or the size of our wr?
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 25 2014, 12:47 AM) *

I've scratched my head about that and the best answer I can offer is to keep Macklin on a one year deal, give Cooper a three year deal and draft someone high to play opposite Jackson. if the rookie does well, we can let Macklin walk. If he struggles then we can look to extend Macklin.

But that's not answering the original question of which of the two I'd prefer, so on balance I'd keep Macklin and draft a big target to compete with Benn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.