Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asante in our future?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn

Falcons released ex-Eagle Asante Samuel yesterday in a salary cap move. Anyone interested in bringing him back? On the plus side, he had years with 7 and 9 INTs during his time here, and had 5 INTs in 2012 (which is the same as what Williams and Fletcher had combined last season) and started 10 games for Atlanta in 2013. Could probably also be had relatively cheaply. On the minus side, he's 33 years old and wasn't much of a veteran leader during his time here, and has never been much of a tackler ever. Plays a gambling style, preferring to go for the INT whenever possible.
samaroo
No thank you. Can I see the menu please?
TGryn
Well, we know what's on Asante's menu:

(photo of a standard NFL termination notice, this one from TE Bernard Pollard's locker)
HOUSEoPAIN
I never really got why he got so much crap from Eagles fans. He was as good if not better than Troy Vincent, and is certainly
one of the top CBs of the last decade. What, did he make it to 3 Pro Bowls as an Eagle? No wonder we get such a bad
reputation.

That being said, I would have no problem giving him a shot in Davis's defense, assuming he'll be pretty cheap. That would allow
us to focus on DE and S in the draft and for the rest of free agency, among other positions.
D Rock

Ass ante couldn't hold Troys jock.

The turd was a card carrying freelancer and locker room cancer. He REFUSED to play the called coverages. Couldn't tackle a 4th grade girl and blew 4 coverages for every pick he got. The guy sold out his defensive team mates time after time to get the shiny ints that led to the big money from asshats like banner (and apparently you if u were judging).

Troy was a complete player. Covered like Prime time and hit like Lott. So too he was a leader in the locker room.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 6 2014, 11:26 AM) *

Aquila
General point - it's a bit early in the offseason for this shit to start, so cut it out please.

Now, let's get back on topic.

I'll pass on him and I think Kelly will as well. Samuel's tendency to freelance is at odds with Kelly's team orientated approach.
samaroo
QUOTE (Aquila @ Feb 6 2014, 01:34 PM) *
General point - it's a bit early in the offseason for this shit to start, so cut it out please.

Now, let's get back on topic.

I'll pass on him and I think Kelly will as well. Samuel's tendency to freelance is at odds with Kelly's team orientated approach.

Agreed. But even if he was as good as he thought he was, he wouldn't be worth it due to his locker room demeanor. And I think Kelly and Co. value that pretty highly. So again I say, no thank you.
Phits
QUOTE (samaroo @ Feb 6 2014, 04:50 PM) *
Agreed. But even if he was as good as he thought he was, he wouldn't be worth it due to his locker room demeanor.

Curious to know, what was his locker room demeanor? I was never in there so I can't vouch for him or his demeanor. Also, I can't recall any negative press regarding him, outside of his on field freelancing.
nephillymike
If he wasn't good enough to start for Atlanta, his skills have eroded beyond the level I want for our team.
JaxEagle
I don't have a strong like or dislike for Asante but I would agree that he is not at the level of Troy Vincent. Vincent was a football player. Asante is Allen Iverson in pads.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Feb 7 2014, 09:39 PM) *
I don't have a strong like or dislike for Asante but I would agree that he is not at the level of Troy Vincent. Vincent was a football player. Asante is Allen Iverson in pads.

And while that may be a slight discredit to Allen Iverson's warrior style, it wasn't meant to be. I admire AI and his heart. Just not the best fit in a team game. In some other year's he might have single handedly won a NBA title but it wasn't meant to be against the Lakers.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Feb 7 2014, 09:47 PM) *
And while that may be a slight discredit to Allen Iverson's warrior style, it wasn't meant to be. I admire AI and his heart. Just not the best fit in a team game. In some
other year's he might have single handedly won a NBA title but it wasn't meant to be against the Lakers.

That's perfectly valid, I don't think anyone likes Asante Samuel even remotely close to how much we loved Vincent. He had a great attitude, was a hometown boy, and was
part of the greatest secondary in Eagles history that saw us to several NFC Championship games and included arguably the most popular Philly athlete in the last 2 decades.

Samuel, on the other hand, was part of the era of mercenaries and the fast decline of our franchise under the Walrus's stewardship. All I'm saying is that from a bird's eye
view, if you can remove emotional attachment, his career was (is) as good as Vincent's, if not better. Obviously Samuel wasn't known for his tackling.

As I said at the beginning, I'm just shocked at how much hate he gets considering what he did here, certainly we can direct much more towards other players who didn't go
to 3 pro bowls in 4 years with us. It's the kind of irrational hatred that gets our fanbase a deserved reputation. If you don't want him here again fine, but I'm for giving him a shot as a veteran presence.
iggleslover49
Asante left the Eagles with a negative attitude and even threw the organization under the bus when he got to ATL. There is no way he comes back to the Eagles because they know that he would bring a lot of negative energy to the locker room. And I don't want him.

I don't think our corners get enough credit. They are willing tacklers and they force turnovers. The run defense has been decent partly because we have corners who are physical and do a decent job at run support, tackling atleast. Asante would be a downgrade in that department. We need more reliable corner play than him.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 8 2014, 01:29 PM) *
That's perfectly valid, I don't think anyone likes Asante Samuel even remotely close to how much we loved Vincent. He had a great attitude, was a hometown boy, and was
part of the greatest secondary in Eagles history that saw us to several NFC Championship games and included arguably the most popular Philly athlete in the last 2 decades.

Samuel, on the other hand, was part of the era of mercenaries and the fast decline of our franchise under the Walrus's stewardship. All I'm saying is that from a bird's eye
view, if you can remove emotional attachment, his career was (is) as good as Vincent's, if not better. Obviously Samuel wasn't known for his tackling.

As I said at the beginning, I'm just shocked at how much hate he gets considering what he did here, certainly we can direct much more towards other players who didn't go
to 3 pro bowls in 4 years with us. It's the kind of irrational hatred that gets our fanbase a deserved reputation. If you don't want him here again fine, but I'm for giving him a shot as a veteran presence.

I'd take Vincent any day over Samuel, and that's not Asante hate just my belief that Vincent was a more complete player and a dramatically better leader.

I'm confused when you say "...the fast decline of our franchise under the Walrus's stewardship." I'm over Reid and am very happy he's coaching another team now but he brought at least 10 years of success to the Eagles, albeit without a Lombardy. Or are you only suggesting the organization's acquired fascination with high profile FA in the latter years of Reid's tenure?
Rick
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Feb 10 2014, 08:51 PM) *
I don't think our corners get enough credit. They are willing tacklers and they force turnovers. The run defense has been decent partly because we have corners who are physical and do a decent job at run support, tackling atleast. Asante would be a downgrade in that department. We need more reliable corner play than him.

Isn't a corner supposed to also be able to cover? Our corners were not very good at that this season. A lack of a safety didn't help though.
HOUSEoPAIN
I'd take Vincent any day over Samuel, and that's not Asante hate just my belief that Vincent was a more complete player and
a dramatically better leader.

I agree. Again, all I'm saying is from a bird's eye view, they had comparable careers and Samuel will get HOF consideration.
Our secondary isn't good, and I'm not against giving him a shot at the roster. That's it. Jesus.

I'm confused when you say "...the fast decline of our franchise under the Walrus's stewardship." I'm over Reid and am
very happy he's coaching another team now but he brought at least 10 years of success to the Eagles, albeit without a
Lombardy. Or are you only suggesting the organization's acquired fascination with high profile FA in the latter years of Reid's
tenure?

I'm referring to the 2010-2012 years, the quick collapse of the team. This era I call the 'mercenary' era, and while Samuel
came before that, he is considered part of it, and of course didn't endear himself to fans after he left.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (Rick @ Feb 11 2014, 07:57 AM) *
Isn't a corner supposed to also be able to cover? Our corners were not very good at that this season. A lack of a safety didn't help though.

That would be correct. With that being said. I remember plenty of blown coverage that was Asante's fault. And when it was, it was almost always him biting on the double moves which usually resulted in monster gains. That, and the fact that he would give receivers a 10 yard cushion during goal line situations used to drive me nuts.
Jax
I don't dislike Samuel. I can take him or leave him. He isn't a HOF'er though IMO. He has good INT stats and that got him in Pro Bowls. He also made a pick for New England in the SB I think?? I don't think he is a HOF Cornerback though.

I do have a mini Asante fathead on my office wall if that buys me anything here - LOL (The set was on sale for $5 somewhere and included McCoy, DJax, Maclin, Celek and Kolb. I put Kolb on the garage refrigerator).
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Jax @ Feb 12 2014, 08:05 PM) *
I don't dislike Samuel. I can take him or leave him. He isn't a HOF'er though IMO. He has good INT stats and that got him in Pro Bowls. He also made a pick for New England in the SB I think?? I don't think he is a HOF Cornerback though.

I do have a mini Asante fathead on my office wall if that buys me anything here - LOL (The set was on sale for $5 somewhere and included McCoy, DJax, Maclin, Celek and Kolb. I put Kolb on the garage refrigerator).

For a DB to get in is extremely tough - only a few from the last 25 years have gotten in, and I don't think Samuel is in that
class. He will get nominations and votes though, as Vincent does. Lott, Sanders, Williams, Green are the only ones in recent memory, no? Dawkins will hopefully get in, I think Ed Reed eventually makes it too.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 12 2014, 08:09 PM) *
For a DB to get in is extremely tough - only a few from the last 25 years have gotten in, and I don't think Samuel is in that
class. He will get nominations and votes though, as Vincent does. Lott, Sanders, Williams, Green are the only ones in recent memory, no? Dawkins will hopefully get in, I think Ed Reed eventually makes it too.

IIRC didn't it take Ronnie Lott much longer than it should have? Safeties have a tough time getting in. DB's in general I guess.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Feb 12 2014, 10:11 PM) *
IIRC didn't it take Ronnie Lott much longer than it should have? Safeties have a tough time getting in. DB's in general I guess.

Other than Aeneas Williams, who was the last safety to get in? Must have been forever. I think Dawk will get in though.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 12 2014, 10:58 PM) *
Other than Aeneas Williams, who was the last safety to get in? Must have been forever. I think Dawk will get in though.

Wiliams was a corner.

corners get in, safeties don't very often.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 13 2014, 12:24 AM) *
Wiliams was a corner.

Yes he was a CB but iirc he moved to Safety with Arizona for his last year or two, did he not? Maybe I am thinking of Rod Woodson.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 13 2014, 12:24 AM) *
Wiliams was a corner.

Williams got in as a safety, at least according to the site I saw. I know he was a CB for most of his career.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.