Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chockiing up over Chuck
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Flying Dutchman
Watching the pre-game and they did their reading of the constitution. Feisty old Chuck Bednarik, now about 88, propped himself up and did it again. Our old WWII vet/hero and epitome of Eagles football got his lines straight and one more time did Philly proud. Concrete Charlie, you old SOB, thank you and God bless you
, thank you for 65 years of great memories.

edit: choking
TGryn
Was updating an article on Wikipedia, and ran across this for Marion Campbell, one of Concrete Charlie's teammates from the '60 team (fortunately, sounds like he's OK):
http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2013/nov/...-falcons-coach/
It was early morning when I stopped here recently to see an old friend. I had invited him for coffee, but Marion Campbell, one of the highest-regarded defensive coaches ever in the National Football League, politely declined. For good reason, which we'll get into shortly. Not only has he not enjoyed a cup of coffee lately, he has not had any solid food since May 21, almost six months ago...
On the day of his misfortune, the 84-year-old was watching television and got up from his easy chair. His feet got twisted up in a throw rug, causing him to crash head first into the wall. The accident broke vertebrae C-3 and C-4, and the C-5 and C-6 vertebrae were fractured. Following surgery, his doctor told him he was lucky he was not paralyzed, becoming a quadriplegic. As the doctor was explaining his good fortune, he interrupted himself by saying, "Actually, you are lucky you aren't dead."..
Already he has been asked what his meal of choice will be following the corrective surgery, most suggesting that he will probably want a big steak. "No," is his standard answer. "I will choose a glass of Dick Vermeil's great wine." Vermeil, with whom Campbell coached for many years, produces a very good Napa Valley wine.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.