Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think the Eagles will do at WR?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
DJax has intimated he wants more money. Cooper and Maclin are FA and Mac is coming off his second ACL on the same knee. Avant is steady but unspectacular and has $1 mil roster bonus coming. Smith is a FA, Johnson and Maehl are essentially irrelevant, IMO. That's 5 - 6 spots with varied questions at all of them.

I think DJax gets restructured and is back with little fanfare. Chip likes Coop and it seems both want him to stay an Eagle but it depends on the $. I think a deal gets done and he stays, not only because both sides want it but the "comment" will cast a question from suitors and Coop both.

Maclin would like to be here (he says) but will Reid try to lure him there for that one year tryout? Again, it's about $ as much as comfort and it may be that "comfort" goes to KC. Mac's a question for me. Avant is a valuable vet who contributes character and leadership but his skills in this offense are questionable, IMO. Does the team think he's worth the money or do they think they can get someone in the draft that will be contribute more on the field sans the leadership? Something tells me Avant's days as an Eagle are over.

If they keep all of Jackson, Cooper and Maclin, even add in Avant, they need to upgrade the depth and return spots. But there were also a couple of games when the offense was pretty lethargic. I don't know if it was because of the OL, play calling, bio-rhythms, voodoo or what but would a dynamic player have countered it? I'd love to see if a guy like Benjamin would make the offense near unstoppable, but it's probably better to go defense.

How about De'Anthony Thomas as a mid rounder? I don't know about his hands, but wouldn't he add to the return game and be an interesting situational player for the offense?
TGryn
Thomas' size will keep him from being a high pick, assuming he doesn't run a 4.3 40 at the Combine. However, he was so explosive and productive in Chip's offense at Oregon that if he's still there at the end of Day II, I can easily see Kelly trading up to the top of the 4th to get him, as they did with Barkley.

I see Avant and Ryans as being in the same boat: their on-the-field merits don't justify what they're being paid, but having them around to provide an example of how things need to be done, and who have the veteran cred to get the younger players to listen, is hard to replace. I think one of the things that got Reid in trouble near the end of his tenure was thinking signing veteran FAs like Asante and Nnambi would automatically provide what we'd lost with BDawk, but just because a player has been in the league for a while doesn't mean he's a leader (or more specifically, provides the kind of leadership which builds teams).
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 31 2014, 08:47 AM) *
How about De'Anthony Thomas as a mid rounder? I don't know about his hands, but wouldn't he add to the return game and
be an interesting situational player for the offense?

Assuming we bring back Maclin and Cooper, I'm ok with mid-round WRs. All of our early picks should be on defense.

I hope you're right about DJax, but I get the funny feeling he's going to cause some trouble if he doesn't get restructured. The
organization has leverage on their side, as no other team would match what he's getting paid now.
make_it_rain
I had one of those super realistic dreams the other night where I was having coffee and read that Mac and Cooper got resigned, with Cooper especially getting a good deal.

So clearly, they're both getting resigned, based off of this evidence.

Usually, when I have those types of super realistic dreams I end up banging some hot girl, not sitting on my ass reading about eagles news though. huh.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Jan 31 2014, 04:48 PM) *
I had one of those super realistic dreams the other night where I was having coffee and read that Mac and Cooper got resigned, with Cooper especially getting a good deal.

Usually, when I have those types of super realistic dreams I end up banging some hot girl, not sitting on my ass reading about eagles news though. huh.gif

Bwah!!

Good One.

You can get a hot girl any year, but only have a SB once every 50 years so we're due.

Your dream was on the right priority!
nephillymike
Here's what I would do:

Don't give DJax any more money. He just signed a deal two years ago with a nice SB. If they want to take some of the $10M and guarantee it, that's OK, but I wouldn't make it much of the $10M, maybe $2M and then the $8M salary and tell him to use some of the $10+M SB he got two years ago to buy the bread and water he needs for sustinence (sp)

Sign Cooper to a new deal as long as it isn't astronoomical. If you project his numbers to Foles playing the entire year, he is worth it. He battles comes back for the ball on scrambles and blocks his ass of on run plays.

Maclin. Sign him to a one year deal. He would help us out and if his injury doesn't hold up, then it's only a year.

Sign a FA safety and one other defenseive need in FA (maybe OLB, DE/DT).

With the 2nd or 3rd round pick, select a WR. He's then our #4 WR.

If they feel that Avant is worth the money for a 5th WR, then OK. But we need him to be no higher than #5 on our corps for our WR to be good enough.

Good bye Demarius. He was lost with Kelly and doesn't add anything.

Pick the best from the rest for #6. Maybe a 7th rounder or UFA may help out here, if not there should be someone available to fill the #6.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Jan 31 2014, 04:48 PM) *

I don't think you're dreaming (well, except maybe about banging a hot girl biggrin.gif ) - I think Maclin wants to stay here and he'll be relatively cheap, and I have no doubt Cooper's
mouth has made him cheap forever, and he'll do anything to stay with Foles. The bigger question is will DJax cause trouble.
MrNawts
QUOTE (MrNawts @ Jan 31 2014, 11:17 PM) *

Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 31 2014, 10:32 PM) *
Here's what I would do:

Don't give DJax any more money. He just signed a deal two years ago with a nice SB. If they want to take some of the $10M and guarantee it, that's OK, but I wouldn't make it much of the $10M, maybe $2M and then the $8M salary and tell him to use some of the $10+M SB he got two years ago to buy the bread and water he needs for sustinence (sp)

Sign Cooper to a new deal as long as it isn't astronoomical. If you project his numbers to Foles playing the entire year, he is worth it. He battles comes back for the ball on scrambles and blocks his ass of on run plays.

Maclin. Sign him to a one year deal. He would help us out and if his injury doesn't hold up, then it's only a year.

Sign a FA safety and one other defenseive need in FA (maybe OLB, DE/DT).

With the 2nd or 3rd round pick, select a WR. He's then our #4 WR.

If they feel that Avant is worth the money for a 5th WR, then OK. But we need him to be no higher than #5 on our corps for our WR to be good enough.

Good bye Demarius. He was lost with Kelly and doesn't add anything.

Pick the best from the rest for #6. Maybe a 7th rounder or UFA may help out here, if not there should be someone available to fill the #6.

Agree on Jackson, Cooper, Macklin and the draft pick, but disagree on Avant.

I've been a strong supporter of his down the years but question what value he would have as the #5 WR. Avant undoubtedly adds to the locker room as a respected person, but would do little on the field. That spot should be for a young player who can contribute on STs as either a gunner or returner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.