Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tom Gola
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
We lost a great man today.

IMO, he is second to Wilt in Philly born basketball stars.

He was raised five blocks from where I grew up and the house he grew up in was on my paper route.

I always heard everyone talk about Tom Gola and all he had done. He played pro before my time so I didn't see him play.

But to grow up in Olney, it was Tom Gola this, Tom Gola that.

I was talking a few weeks ago to a great sports fan who was in his eighties about Philly hoops and he was raving about how good Gola was. He knew I went to LaSalle and we were talking about the upcoming LaSalle-Temple game. He told me of how he would go watch him play all the time and how he was his favorite. That sports fan passed away over a week ago. Now he can watch him play again, front row seats. Enjoy the view Mick!

It wasn't until I got to LaSalle that I learned all that he accomplished in basketball and in life.

He always gave back. Used to be Hayman Hall, now it's Gola Arena.

Saw him a few times when I was playing at LaSalle. Was once introduced to him as me being "another Olney guy". Told him about the paper route, talked about the neighborhood and he asked about some families he knew from the neighborhood. By that time it had been over six years since I had the paper route and I remembered some of the names, but couldn't picture the people.

From Incarnation (Inky), to LaSalle High School to LaSalle College, to the Warriors, to the Hall of Fame, to public service, to a benefactor, to an advisor to many.

I remember just thinking how big he was. Big in stature. Big in achievement. Big in life.

He set up some local athletes on sound ground when they signed pro contracts so that they wouldn't be broke after they retired. The L train can attest to that (#22 Lionel Simmons)

Heaven got a new call today to go along with the Dipper Dunk.

Gola Goal !! Zink's got new material to work with.

TGryn
Harry Gamble died today.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...ach__dies_.html
Harry Gamble, the longtime Eagles executive and former Penn coach, has died. He was 83. Mr. Gamble served as the team president of the Eagles from 1986-1994, and as general manager from 1985-1995. He originally joined the Eagles in 1981 as a volunteer assistant coach under Dick Vermeil. In 1982, he became a full-time staff member, coaching special teams and tight ends. Gamble then became an assistant for both the coaching and personnel staffs in 1983 before being named director of football operations in 1984. He was named general manager in 1985 by owner Leonard Tose, and his teams were 96-78-1 during his tenure, including 2-5 in the playoffs."He was an excellent football coach, executive and philanthropist, but he will be remembered most for his warm personality, his strong character and his love for his family. He will be sorely missed," Eagles owner Jeff Lurie said in a statement released by the team.Mr. Gamble is survived by his wife, Joan, their two sons, Harry and Tom, the latter of whom serves as the Eagles vice president of player personnel, and three grandchildren.

Jax
Thanks for posting. I had missed that in the news.
nephillymike
Heard yesterday that Gola's funeral mass is at our parish tomorrow.

Small world
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.