Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Team Assessment from my View
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
MrNawts
This is my first time posting, Feedback is welcome. I just want to share my view on this eagles team.

Offense

-Maclin; Resign to a one maybe 2 year show me what you got deal, i peraonally prefer Maclin over Cooper. All Maclin has done since being drafted is be the best reciever we have other then injury issues, if we can get Coop on a friendly deal im all for it, Cooper has had a good year and the trust between him and Foles is clear but in my opinion he did not play hisself into big momey with only 800 yards,i think he earned a little raise but probably not what he would be thinking.

-Avant; Love his leadership but to put it simple i just believe his time is up, either take a pay cut or released,

-Vick; i like Vick as a player but his time is also up

Defense

-Chung; sleep.gif nothing needs to be said

-Anderson; resign. Good special teams player

-Allen; Probably coming off his best year since his rookie season, maybe resign for depth but we need an upgrade,

-Cole, Resign but restructure, free up some cap

-DLine, we need some depth and a big bodied NT but is a decent group up front

-Safety, Through free agency or draft maybe both, we need to get some playmakers at least one, wolfe has some talent but we'll have to see how he comes back this year,

-Corners, I think the eagles address this and safety in Fa, but not with a splash just decent talent players that allow eagles to go bpa in the draft, but best player by NEED

-ST, we need a kicker and a return man and well be pretty good there

Overall i feel the eagles are 3 or 4 players away from being a LEGIT year in and year out threat, banking on that Nick Foles continues to progress.If not im sure chip will find his guy. With Zach Ertz, Djax, Shady, Maclin (assuming he come back healthy ) our offrnse is good maybe add a couple situational playmakers and some O-Line depth in the coming years, even raw prospects this year at WR . Defense needs to get a hitter and a nasty mentally,definitely draft a corner, safety or OLB early and get some playmakers on D
nephillymike
Good points.
Welcome to the board.
Here's a question.

Assume we can sign three free agents.

Give me three free agents (position and/or names) and the positions of our first four draft picks.

About Heneryy, I looked at some details on him. He's 5th in accuracy on the active career list. The last two years, the eagles kickoff returns ranked 24th in the NFL. Not good, but I don't think you just kick him to the curb with his accuracy. His miss of 47 yards really hurt, especially since Graham made his 46 harder and was the difference in the game. But the success rate on 47 traders is less than 50%.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 26 2014, 05:33 AM) *

Give me three free agents (position and/or names) and the positions of our first four draft picks.

Add my welcome to Mr Nawts ... sounds like a similar derivation.

I'll take a shot at your question(s), mikey. I'm not sure what's out there or what will ultimately be available but I'd definitely look at a run clogging NT, a S and an OLB. A veteran QB will also be important if Vick leaves. I'd like to try to fill the obvious major needs before heading into the draft so I could go BPA regardless of who's there. I don't want to be tempted to draft a player for need. If there's a WR or RB who could be special and is sitting there with our pick, I think that's who should be drafted. JMO
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 26 2014, 06:36 AM) *
Add my welcome to Mr Nawts ... sounds like a similar derivation.

I'll take a shot at your question(s), mikey. I'm not sure what's out there or what will ultimately be available but I'd definitely look at a run clogging NT, a S and an OLB. A veteran QB will also be important if Vick leaves. I'd like to try to fill the obvious major needs before heading into the draft so I could go BPA regardless of who's there. I don't want to be tempted to draft a player for need. If there's a WR or RB who could be special and is sitting there with our pick, I think that's who should be drafted. JMO

I often wonder about the BPA theory. When a team is on the clock, I wonder how much difference there are in the ratings of the BPA at that time.

Is there normally a group of seven that all have the same rating by the team, is it more particular and normally only one of two ranked highest at that time.

If you look at NFL.com or some of the other rating sites, they normally do have the same grade on multiple prospects.

Going BPA, do you draft a QB with a grade of 5.10, or are you willing to drafts any from a group of S, OLB, CB all rated 5.05 for example.

For me, give me the player at the PON with the 5.05 rather than the higher rated QB with a 5.10.

Now of course, you don't want to reach down to a 4.8 or so (maybe 30 picks lower on your board) to get the PON, but I hope they don't go purely on BPA.
Zero
Agreed, or trade down a couple of spots if another team covets a player available when you're on the clock and you believe there will be a player or players that will provide value after the trade.
Rick
About Heneryy, I looked at some details on him. He's 5th in accuracy on the active career list. The last two years, the eagles kickoff returns ranked 24th in the NFL. Not good, but I don't think you just kick him to the curb with his accuracy. His miss of 47 yards really hurt, especially since Graham made his 46 harder and was the difference in the game. But the success rate on 47 traders is less than 50%.

Problem is, he seems to miss when the time is really bad. I have absolutely no confidence in him when they trot him out on the field.

I don't know what his numbers are in 45+ yard FGs but it certainly seems like he craps the bed in the longer ones. No, I don't expect him to make them all but it just seems as if he misses too many.

He's not horrible but I'd like to see someone more reliable.

As far as the return game, no, statistically we don't seem to be HORRIBLE but it seems like those numbers were hurt by us running the ball out of the endzone from 7 yards back. Take a knee! Get the ball on the 20. Seems like we kept starting at the 15 because of this. We need someone a little smarter returning the ball or get our guys to be smarter.
MrNawts
Good points.
Welcome to the board.
Here's a question.

Thanks for the welcome
For the 3 free agents, i dont want to go names but position ill do, I think we need to try and get a big DT, a decent corner like sam sheilds or thurmond from Seattle, and a i woild love a splash at safety but i wouldn't mind the approach of last off seadon and take good skilled but not great skilled guys, and draft depth behind them and let the picks grow.

First round, i think if Pryor or Haha is there we take one of them, possibly Denard. I fomt think WR should be a high priority but definitely needs to be addressed in the mid to late rounds, Second round i like Van noy if he's there. He reminds me of a longer version of Kendricks and i think them 2 paired up would be good,

Third round, i would look a couple different places, maybe olime dline or another secondary player

4Th round depending on the pick in the 3rd if it was Oline i think we jump back to the defensive side and vice versa

MrNawts
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 26 2014, 12:38 PM) *
Problem is, he seems to miss when the time is really bad. I have absolutely no confidence in him when they trot him out on the field.

I don't know what his numbers are in 45+ yard FGs but it certainly seems like he craps the bed in the longer ones. No, I don't expect him to make them all but it just seems as if he misses too many.

He's not horrible but I'd like to see someone more reliable.

As far as the return game, no, statistically we don't seem to be HORRIBLE but it seems like those numbers were hurt by us running the ball out of the endzone from 7 yards back. Take a knee! Get the ball on the 20. Seems like we kept starting at the 15 because of this. We need someone a little smarter returning the ball or get our guys to be smarter.

Yeah i agree, everytime we have to send him out for a kick off field goal whatever the case may be i have no confidence in him, if he cant kick the ball out of the endzone in a dome something has to change
MrNawts
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 26 2014, 08:15 AM) *
I often wonder about the BPA theory. When a team is on the clock, I wonder how much difference there are in the ratings of the BPA at that time.

Is there normally a group of seven that all have the same rating by the team, is it more particular and normally only one of two ranked highest at that time.

If you look at NFL.com or some of the other rating sites, they normally do have the same grade on multiple prospects.

Going BPA, do you draft a QB with a grade of 5.10, or are you willing to drafts any from a group of S, OLB, CB all rated 5.05 for example.

For me, give me the player at the PON with the 5.05 rather than the higher rated QB with a 5.10.

Now of course, you don't want to reach down to a 4.8 or so (maybe 30 picks lower on your board) to get the PON, but I hope they don't go purely on BPA.

Me personally, when i hear or say BPA i think best player available at positions of i dont want to say need but of higher priority, i think if we dont like anyone at 22 we trade back a few spots and get a extra pick or 2 and still get the players we want
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (MrNawts @ Jan 25 2014, 11:24 PM) *
This is my first time posting, Feedback is welcome. I just want to share my view on this eagles team.

Welcome. cheers.gif

Cooper's mouth has made him cheap forever, Maclin will also be cheap and presumably wants to stay here and in this system. We should make sure both are here next
season.
MrNawts
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 26 2014, 05:30 PM) *
Welcome. cheers.gif

Cooper's mouth has made him cheap forever, Maclin will also be cheap and presumably wants to stay here and in this system. We should make sure both are here next
season.

Yeah Maclin's skill set in this offense potentially will thrive if he stays healthy
make_it_rain
Good points.
Welcome to the board.
Here's a question.

(1 and 2) Jairus Byrd / TJ Ward .... More likely Byrd though because I highly doubt Ward hits the market. I fully concede that there is a big risk in getting Byrd, both from the money he'll want and a slight injury risk, but the guys numbers speak for themselves. I say roll the dice and pull the trigger here. We complained all season about letting that cap space sit idle, why not put it to work here?

(3) Another name to keep an eye on is Jason Worilds on Pittsburgh. He fills a huge need as a pass rushing OLB and has sort of flown under the radar in this years free agency behind Orakpo. I think he'd be a great
pickup, and could probably be acquired on a midlevel deal.

The draft obviously is a function of what happens for the 2 months give or take of free agency that precedes it. The big positions of need we've already discussed..... FS, OLB, CB, Offensive Line depth, potentially WR.

It's clearly a really deep class for WR. So what happens with Maclin/Cooper? If they're both resigned then it becomes kind of a moot point, but if one or none of them are resigned then someone like Mike Evans, Marquise Lee, or Jordan Matthews becomes tempting if theyre on the board at 22. Otherwise guys like Justin Gilbert, Darqueze Dennard, or a pass rusher like Kony Ealy are worth a look.

So many what if scenarios here, you could wrap yourself around a pole going through the possibilities. I know you wanted to see the positions of the first four draft picks but tough cool.gif

TGryn
Welcome also.

Here's something about Henery: according to this we were 24th in the league in touchback % on KOs last year and in 2012. That's tolerable if you have a decent coverage unit, which we do, but only as long as the kicker is above average on FGs, which Henery hasn't been recently.
MrNawts
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 27 2014, 06:55 AM) *
Welcome also.

Here's something about Henery: according to this we were 24th in the league in touchback % on KOs last year and in 2012. That's tolerable if you have a decent coverage unit, which we do, but only as long as the kicker is above average on FGs, which Henery hasn't been recently.

Im sure they will bring in someone for competition
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.