Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Get Rid of the Extra Point?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
“The extra point is almost automatic,” Goodell said. “I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play. There’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about. It’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six.”

It's an interesting concept and could certainly add excitement to the game.

NFL whore (Peter King) had this to say:
Why I think the PAT should be re-invented immediately:

1. Kickers have made it too automatic. In the past three years, kickers have missed five, six and seven extra points, respectively. That’s 18 misses out of 3,709 tries—a 99.5 percent accuracy rate. Out of every 200 extra points, one is missed.

2. I do love football tradition. I’m the guy, remember, who wrote a pro football history book back in the nineties and got ripped for having Don Hutson and Otto Graham 1-2 on the list of greatest players of all time. You can have a respect for tradition and still know when change is logical. And right now, change is overdue on the PAT.

3. Recall the last time an extra point was exciting, or even remotely interesting. I can’t.

LINK
Dreagon
I would prefer they keep it...and if they absolutely have to change things then just make it a longer kick.
TGryn
I suspect this is a prequel to eliminating special teams entirely as a result of the concussion/brain injury issue. I think the league office believes that fans tune in to see offense ("chicks love the long ball"), and the defense is just there to make things interesting. There's no place for ST in that.

I also expect within the next decade we'll see rule changes that will make it illegal to touch a receiver until after the ball has been caught, and no contact with QBs at all until they pass the line of scrimmage. That's the direction we're heading.
Rick
I don't mind making some changes but not sure if I'm in favor of doing away with it entirely. Maybe make it a longer kick and/or give the defense more of an incentive for stopping it. Like, if they block the kick, and run it back, they get a point or 2 points. I'm sure there may be other good ideas out there.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 23 2014, 08:48 PM) *
I suspect this is a prequel to eliminating special teams entirely as a result of the concussion/brain injury issue. I think the
league office believes that fans tune in to see offense ("chicks love the long ball"), and the defense is just there to make things
interesting. There's no place for ST in that.

I also expect within the next decade we'll see rule changes that will make it illegal to touch a receiver until after the ball has
been caught, and no contact with QBs at all until they pass the line of scrimmage. That's the direction we're heading.

The big first step was moving the kickoff to the 35, almost completely eliminating the excitement and relevance of the kickoff
(unless you're an Eagles fan of course, because Henery can't reach the back of the end zone). I don't see how it's possible to
completely eliminate special teams, considering the importance of field goals and punts. Also, this would eventually result in
hundreds of NFL jobs being eliminated, which the NFLPA would never allow.

I would be ok with giving teams the option of kicking an 'extra point' from the 20 or something, or allowing them to go for 2, or
some shit like that, there's a million choices they could fool around with. I will say this - Vegas is gonna go APESHIT if they get
rid of the 'automatic' extra point. They've been using the same formula for spreads and over/under for about 80 years.
Eyrie
I like the suggestion of giving teams the option of either a longer kick (say from the 30 yard line) or choosing to go for two.

Think back to the Detroit game where both teams kept going for two - far more exciting than yawning through yet another automatic chip shot extra point.
nephillymike
Sounds like a whole bunch about nothing.

As of now, teams can elect to try a kick with 99.67% chance of making it for 7 points. I heard today that the last time a missed extra point was the reason for the outcome of the game was 2003.

Or they can forego that and try for two, if they make it, they get 8 points, if they miss, they get 6.

So now, they are saying, score a TD and do nothing and get 7 points.

Or they can forego that and try for two, if they make it, they get 8 points, if they miss, they get 6.

So the only change is removing the .0033 chance of a missed extra point, a miss that historically has an impact on the outcome once every 10 years.

What's the big deal??

Extra credit:

Name the game where a missed extra point that was the reason for a Eagles loss in a very important game.

JeeQ
A Legend Was Born On An Extra Point
nephillymike
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Jan 26 2014, 12:16 AM) *

Wasn't that on a very short would be game winning FG?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 26 2014, 09:38 AM) *
Wasn't that on a very short would be game winning FG?

Yes it was, but it was actually shorter than an extra point.

What was the game we lost on a missed XP? I was thinking the Tommy Hutton game, but that was a FG attempt.
Rick
I believe I remember us losing a game in Miami on a missed extra point. Didn't we also do that against Chicago?
nephillymike
Rick and HOP, think way bigger than those.

People tend to forget this one over time.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 26 2014, 04:31 PM) *
People tend to forget this one over time.

Especially since I wasn't born yet. tongue.gif

The playoff game against the Falcons in the late 70s. Wow, I can't imagine getting eliminated from an extra point miss.
TGryn
Didinger was on his Saturday WIP slot with Rob Cherry, his reaction to the idea was basically "its a great game, why do you want to mess with it?" However, he did say that one idea that gave him pause even in his opposition was to move the ball on the PAT from the 2 yard line (where it is now) to the 1 yard line. This would encourage teams to go for two more than they do now - witness how much success New Orleans had against us when they went for it in short yardage situations. A lot of teams might figure "hey, its only a yard and we just scored on them, we can do that easy."
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 26 2014, 06:53 PM) *
Especially since I wasn't born yet. tongue.gif

The playoff game against the Falcons in the late 70s. Wow, I can't imagine getting eliminated from an extra point miss.

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner for remembering the losers!!

In the words of the TV show Twilight (If you don't remember 1978, you won't remember twilight. FWIW, it was black and white show from the sixties and early seventies with a bunch of odd things that happened. Take a look when you can, it's on cable)

Imagine if you will.................................

The Eagles on the Miracle in the Meadowlands (Part One), get a wild card berth and need to travel to Atlanta.

The first football playoff this town had seen in 18 years!!

A kicker, Nick Mick-Mayer (pronounced Mick-a-my-er) gets hurt the week of the playoff game.

The young coach figures there is no need to bring in a replacement, he just will have the punter, Mike Michel, do the kicking duties.

Kicking isn't hard after all.

The punter proceeds to miss an extra point, a 23 yard FG and what I think was a 38-40 yard FG, in a crushing defeat of 14-13 to the Falcons.

The Eagles had just started selling out again and the league changed the rule ending home blackouts and people could see the Eagles on TV. They were becoming a real fan favorite b/c we could see them. I was a young teenager, it was Christmas Eve.

I was crushed. In all my years of watching or playing sports, that was the only time I ever shed tears.

Dick Vermiel got off easy.

Can you imagine today if a coach did something that galactically stupid? We would go to his house and tar and feather him in the middle of the street.

I love Vermiel. I really do, but that stupid lack of a move took me a long while to warm up to him.

Rick
Well that explains it. I was only 9 when that happened. Hadn't quite developed into the sports fan yet.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 27 2014, 12:35 AM) *
Can you imagine today if a coach did something that galactically stupid?

Seriously. Even The Walrus brought in Todd France after Akers went down one year - to be fair, he DID have a firsthand look
at his alternative, Mark Simoneau. Maybe if Vermeil saw the guy kick he would've done differently. Poor Simoneau - an entire
career of playing football, and all he'll ever be remembered for is getting steamrolled over by a juiced up DeShaun Foster - and
sucking at kicking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.