Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The NEPM "Big Board" Draft And Free Agents
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Free Agency Starts March 11th and ends in July and the draft is May 8th.

So since we only have months and months until that happens, what better thing to do on a day that your team is not playing in the NFCCG when they should be (but I digress) but to put together a draft/FA board.

I looked at a few draft sites (ESPN, Draftek) that are just getting set up since no combine yet, and looked at PFF and NFL Trade Rumors FA lists, so these are all rough and preliminary but what the hell.

Here are my positions of need in order of importance as I see it:

1. FS - need to replace Chung. FWIW, Coleman is the backup FS and Allen and Wolfe both played SS.
2. OLB34 - We need to improve our pass rush and this is where it comes from in the 3-4
3. CB - Williams is really a #2-#3 CB and Fletcher a #4 CB on a good team.
4. SS - Allen backed up by Wolf last year.
5. OG - Herremans is at the end. Need to draft his replacement
6. DE34 - Need more depth and competition behind Cox and Thorton.
7. WR - depth. Sign Maclin, cut ties with Avant and draft the #4 WR
8. DT34 - Need depth and competition behind Logan. Squares not good enough at backup.
9. K - bring in a FA kicker to compete/replace Henery.
10 QB - need a veteran backup for Foles. Barkley and his interceptions aren't ready.

The first seven spots will be filled by four FA signings and our first three draft picks. the DT can be lower round picks and the K and QB are late FA signings.

In the list below, I only have 34 compatible players and I separate the SS from the FS. For free agents, I used only top 50, and all had to be 28 or younger and UFA, no RFA's.
For the draft prospects, I only list those projected to be available from pick #15 to #86. We draft 22, 54 and 86 in the first three rounds, so some listed at 15 could drop down.

Here are the FA/Prospects with the Trade Rumors FA ranking and the Drafek ranking among all prospects for the draft prospects:

Free Safety
FA = J. Byrd (Buf) 5th. The only worthy true FS in the top 50
Draft = Dix (Ala) 16th, Pryor (Lou) 36th, Reynolds (Stan) 56th

OLB34
FA = Orakpo (Was) 4th, Worilds (Pit) 16th
Draft = Clowney , Mack and Barr will be gone. Attaochu (GT) 34th, Hubbard (Ala), 57th, Jeffcoat (Tex) 78th, M. Sam (Miss) 80th, Murphy (Stan) 81st.

CB
FA = Verner (Ten) 6th, V. Davis (Ind) 19th, Munnerlyn (Car) 20th
Draft = Dennard should be gone. Verrett (TCU) 20th, Gilbert (OkSt) 24th, Joyner (FlaSt) 38th, Roby(OhioSt) 42nd, Fuller (Vatech) 49th, Mitchell (Ore) 62nd, Roberson (Fla) 70th, Colvin (Okla) 75th

SS
FA = Ward (Cle) 3rd. The only worthy SS in the top 50.
Draft = Bailey (USC) 76th, Dixon (Bay) 86th

OG
FA = Schwartz (KC) 31st, Saffold (STL) 49th OG/OT
Draft = Yankey (Stan) 26th, Richardson (Bay) 33rd, Su'A Filo (UCLA) 46th, Martin (ND) 60th, Steen (Ala) 72nd, Jackson (MissSt) 81st

DE34
FA = A. Jones (BAL) 24th, T. Jackson (KC) 36th
Draft = Tuitt (ND) 21st, Hageman (Min) 22nd, Mauro (Stan) 71st, Ealy (Miss) 72nd

WR - need a featre WR, not a smallish WR, so I left out the ultra small guy
FA = Decker (Den) 13th, G. Tate (Sea) 27th
Draft = Watkins and Lee should be gone. Evans (A&M) 18th, Robinson (PennSt) 23rd, Beckham (LSU) 30th, Matthews (Vandy) 39th), Benjamin (FlaSt) 43rd, Adams (Fresno) 48th, Landry (LSU) 55th, Richardson (Col) 63rd, Coleman (Rut) 73rd, Abbrederis (Wisc) 79th.

Looking at the available draft picks in positions of need and the FA's, here's what I would do:

Use FA to sign Byrd, and Worilds/Orakpo, and then sign either a DE34 or an OG via FA (Jones/Jackson or Schwartz/Saffold)

At that point, I have sured up my FS, my OLB and either my DE or OG. Yeah, three FA's may seem like a lot, but they went on the cheap last year, had 22M of cap space left over and left a few potential upgrades in a season of opportunity sitting in the bank account. Howie can't make that mistake again.

Now I go into the draft needing a CB, WR, a SS and either OG/DE in the first four rounds. I definitely use rounds 1 and 2 for the best available CB & WR, and sit back and see what SS and DE/OG is available in round 3 and 4. pick the best available. Then rounds 4-7 are best available without regard to position.

Do this and next year at this time, I will already have a few cold ones in me waiting for the Eagles to play in the NFCCG!!

Zero
Aren't the Redskins still cap crippled next year? I think the pass rush is top priority even though S may be the most visible weakness. I'd be in heaven if they were to grab either Orakpo or Worilds and Byrd. They still need to draft a S though and I'm not convinced Herremans is done yet ... he started off poorly but seemed solid later in the year. He was coming off an injury and moved back to G in a new system, playing next to a rookie. They need to resign Cooper or sign Decker - Benjamin would be a nice target in the draft. Tate would be a good fit because they need a return game. What's their plans for Brad Smith?
TGryn
Redskins cap penalty ends this year, so that's like them getting an additional $13 million to work with this offseason. Cowboys get $5 million back to their cap for the same reason.
Dreagon
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 20 2014, 03:08 PM) *
Redskins cap penalty ends this year, so that's like them getting an additional $13 million to work with this offseason. Cowboys get $5 million back to their cap for the same reason.

Yeah, but due to Jerry's propensity for signing big contracts and then restructuring them to punt the cap hit down the road, we are currently over ten million over the cap even counting getting that five million back. There is the very real chance he may have to ask Ware to take a pay cut or let him go.
TGryn
I'd put DT/NT higher than his list does. Logan is a nice player and should improve with time - we definitely saw an uptick when he replaced Sopoaga at NT - but also he has his limitations due to his size as this film breakdown shows *. I think his best destiny is as our #1 backup/swing player at both DT and DE. And who knows what we have in Squire**, but I sure don't want to rely on him to play any significant time, which is the scenario right now if Logan were to get hurt. I know we're not playing a "conventional" 3-4 as such, but if you have a NT who commands double-teams every play, that frees up a lot of options for the other guys on D.

* - I also recommend this breakdown of Vinny Curry's play from the same site. One can hope that was just a bad series and not representative of his general play, but you can also see perhaps why he's not starting.

** - For those who've forgotten, Squire is this guy:
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 20 2014, 05:21 PM) *
I'd put DT/NT higher than his list does. Logan is a nice player and should improve with time - we definitely saw an uptick when he replaced Sopoaga at NT - but also he has his limitations due to his size as this film breakdown shows *. I think his best destiny is as our #1 backup/swing player at both DT and DE. And who knows what we have in Squire**, but I sure don't want to rely on him to play any significant time, which is the scenario right now if Logan were to get hurt. I know we're not playing a "conventional" 3-4 as such, but if you have a NT who commands double-teams every play, that frees up a lot of options for the other guys on D.

* - I also recommend this breakdown of Vinny Curry's play from the same site. One can hope that was just a bad series and not representative of his general play, but you can also see perhaps why he's not starting.

** - For those who've forgotten, Squire is this guy:

If DT is higher, name your positions of need in order.

Squares looks bad there for sure, but since it has been illegal this year for a rb to do that, he prob wasn't ready for that.
TGryn
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 20 2014, 04:40 PM) *
If DT is higher, name your positions of need in order.
Fair enough. Probably above DE and SS; at DE, I like Cox very much and Thornton seemed like he really found a fit in the 3-4. I like Curry/Graham/Cole (the latter two pseudo-DEs) as backups a lot more than I like Squire at NT, being that Squire is even smaller than an undersized Logan. I think Allen started to settle in a bit at safety this year and would like to see what he could do with another year in Davis' system, assuming we can resign him; if we can only sign one of the better safeties out there, the other safety spot is the priority.

In the wash, I'd probably put DT around 5-6. Like OL, I'm hoping the front office doesn't think the health we enjoyed at the position(s) this year is the norm, because the depth leaves something to be desired.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.