Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All-22 - Why the offense stalled
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Basically sums up my expectations. Some missed opportunities, some poor execution. I think it's a well done piece. I definitely think it shows that Nick was a bit too conservative.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/01/...ffense-stalled/
nephillymike
Good stuff, thanks.

I heard three people who I respect say different things about Foles play. All three study game film.
Ray Didinger said Foles missed a few plays, but not more than usual.
Jaws was happy with the way Foles played, had a solid game.
Adam Caplan said he and others saw Foles fail to pull the trigger many times more than normal.

Every game qb's miss seeing some things. So one snapshot can be misleading.

But, I think after time to reflect, that foles had a costly off first 2 1/2 qtrs. He was off. His yds per. attempt were too low vs. A game plan that was designed to stop our run game.

You out of owners will be happy to know that, in the most talked about topic, most still think Foles is not for Chip's system and would highly prefer a mobile qb. Also when D. Gunn was asked if foles was his franchise. Qb, he said if he had a year next year like this year, then he would see he him as a franchise qb. So, if he has another best ever year for a third year qb,just like he did this year THEN, he is a franchise type.

Tough town.

Eyrie
I've been saying all season that Foles is playing well, but he needs to do so consistently before being anointed as the franchise.

We always talk about the leap from year one to year two, and that's appropriate here. Can Foles build on what he has shown or will opposing teams use the offseason to analyse his weaknesses and nullify him?

I'm expecting the former, but he needs to be willing to take a few more risks. That passer rating is a result of not throwing interceptions, making him a great game manager rather than an elite QB who can take over a game. Worth remembering though that Kelly wants someone under centre who makes the right decision and doesn't kill drives with interceptions and sacks, so Foles has the first part solved and he can fix the second part with experience.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 11 2014, 05:34 AM) *
I've been saying all season that Foles is playing well, but he needs to do so consistently before being anointed as the franchise.

We always talk about the leap from year one to year two, and that's appropriate here. Can Foles build on what he has shown or will opposing teams use the offseason to analyse his weaknesses and nullify him?

I'm expecting the former, but he needs to be willing to take a few more risks. That passer rating is a result of not throwing interceptions, making him a great game manager rather than an elite QB who can take over a game. Worth remembering though that Kelly wants someone under centre who makes the right decision and doesn't kill drives with interceptions and sacks, so Foles has the first part solved and he can fix the second part with experience.

That's the misconception. A guy who is conservative to a fault, aka a "check down Charlie", would throw very few interceptions, but, would have a low yds. per attempt. Foles did take shots down field as proven by his league leading yards per attempt! So we had a guy who threw historical low into.%, AND, has the highest yards per attempt in the league! However, unimpressed, the masses call for a guy with more speed, or at the least, demand another best ever performance before giving any stock to his excellence. He had a low yds per attempt in that game, which is valid criticism. A criticism rendered less valid if Cooper catches that soft toss and turns it into the 35 yard minimum gain it should have been.
Rick
People also seem to forget, this was his FIRST playoff game and it was at home to boot. You think there may have been a little nervousness happening?

The guy isn't perfect--nobody is--yeah, he was overly-conservative but, honestly, that might be better than what most young QBs do in those situations. Most of them try to force something and then make mistakes. We want something in the middle of the two but, if I have a choice, I'll take what Foles did over making tons of mistakes.

He still helped put them in a position to win the game and, honestly, that's all you really can ask of someone in their first playoff game.
mcnabbulous
I think it comes down to simply not trying to make mistakes. The fact that he threw for his second lowest YPA of the season indicates that he wasn't playing the same game we came to expect. I don't think it was nerves as much as just thinking we could we by not turning the ball over. It was conservative.

He didn't play poorly, but he can play better than that. No big deal, unless it becomes a trend in big games.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 11 2014, 06:22 AM) *
A criticism rendered less valid if Cooper catches that soft toss and turns it into the 35 yard minimum gain it should have been.

Or he could have NOT taken one of the sacks that he brought on himself.
mcnabbulous
I think the point is, any one of 5 or so plays on offense could have resulted in us winning that game. That's the shitty part.

We have a bright future, which is nice.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 11 2014, 12:36 PM) *
I think the point is, any one of 5 or so plays on offense could have resulted in us winning that game. That's the shitty part.

We have a bright future, which is nice.

Absolutely. Despite his shortcomings and remaining question marks, I feel confident with Foles at the helm. He's a smart cookie and I think he will find a way to keep improving his game.
Eyrie
I think we have a general consensus that not only can Foles play better, but that he will play better.

When was the last time the whole board agreed on something?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.