Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where we failed big time
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
We have $20.4M in cap space left.

Here are 2014 cap values for some of our better players:

DJ 12.5
McCoy 9.7
Peters 10.0
Barwin 4.9
Williams 6.4
Cole 6.6
Ryans 6.8

Obviously the younger guys are much cheaper, but two or three of these type players could have really helped our talent.
mcnabbulous
I'm not following. Do you mean 2-3 more of these guys? If so, do you have specific players in mind at positions of need who would have fit the bill?
nephillymike
2-3 of these type players,talent wise, would have put us a lot further. Need to go back to see who we could have gotten at positions of need. Coming up a few players short with 20 mill unspent is not good mgt.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 8 2014, 12:27 PM) *
2-3 of these type players,talent wise, would have put us a lot further. Need to go back to see who we could have gotten at positions of need. Coming up a few players short with 20 mill unspent is not good mgt.

I get what you are saying. One thing that needs to be considered though is whether or not upgrades were available in FA. You can have all the money in the world but if the supply is not there, the extra money is useless.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 8 2014, 10:31 AM) *
I get what you are saying. One thing that needs to be considered though is whether or not upgrades were available in FA. You can have all the money in the world but if the supply is not there, the extra money is useless.

That tends to be how I perceive it. From my perspective, the only significant upgrades we could have made were at safety and a slot receiver. Obviously we didn't anticipate Maclin getting hurt, so that wasn't really an option.

I don't think there are great safety options just floating around. Tons of teams need safeties. It's why I value the position in the draft more than most, simply because of supply and demand.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 8 2014, 04:07 PM) *
I don't think there are great safety options just floating around. Tons of teams need safeties. It's why I value the position in the draft more than most, simply because of supply and demand.

I have not begun to look at available FAs for this season. I did run across an article on gcobb talking about Ward from Cle and Byrd from Buffalo. Both are 27 year old safeties and both were 2nd team All-Pros. Sounds like the Eagles could conceivably upgrade both safety positions. I have never watched either player much so I really have no personal opinion on their play.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 8 2014, 12:36 PM) *
I have not begun to look at available FAs for this season. I did run across an article on gcobb talking about Ward from Cle and Byrd from Buffalo. Both are 27 year old safeties and both were 2nd team All-Pros. Sounds like the Eagles could conceivably upgrade both safety positions. I have never watched either player much so I really have no personal opinion on their play.

Acquiring one premium free agent (when competing with 31 other teams) is difficult enough. Getting both at a position of need for so many teams would be near impossible. I still think Wolff is going to be one of our starters next year.
TGryn
Another name: SS Donte Whitner, 49ers. Pro Bowler in 2012, age 28, and is an UFA. However, like Byrd, be prepared to back up the Brinks' truck if you want to get him, since players in their late 20s know this is the last contract they'll sign while in their prime playing window.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/12/03/do...ant-to-be-here/

CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 8 2014, 04:39 PM) *
Acquiring one premium free agent (when competing with 31 other teams) is difficult enough. Getting both at a position of need for so many teams would be near impossible. I still think Wolff is going to be one of our starters next year.

I hear ya.

The interesting thing about both of them is that they are Oregon alum. Maybe they want to be reunited with Chip. I don't know much about them but they have to be better than Allan and Chung. Hell, anyone has to be better than the stiffs that were trotted out for much of this past season.
Phits
nm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.