Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DJax wants to renegotiate his contract
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TGryn
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/1/...ing-career-year
The Eagles may have a decision to make when it comes to DeSean Jackson's contract this season. The six-year wide receiver signed a five-year, $48.25 million deal less than two years ago, but is looking to renegotiate the contract after posting career-highs in catches, receiving yards and tying his high for receiving touchdowns. Jackson told reporters on Monday that he believes he deserves a bump in pay, according to Reuben Frank of CSN Philly.

He's scheduled to earn $10.2 million in 2014. Franchise-tag number (top-5) for a WR last year was $10.5 mil. He can ask for whatever he wants, but I don't think he's going to get a lot of sympathy on this one.
Rick
No, no sympathy from me. I like him and all but, really?
mcnabbulous
It's pretty reasonable, given that he can be cut at any point with no guarantees. I hope they give him what he deserves, as one of the top receivers in the game. They should be looking to lock him up for the next 3-4 seasons anyways.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2014, 08:53 PM) *
It's pretty reasonable, given that he can be cut at any point with no guarantees. I hope they give him what he deserves, as one of the top receivers in the game. They should be looking to lock him up for the next 3-4 seasons anyways.

Throw out a number. What do you think he deserves? His salary for 2014 is already in line with the top 5 WRs in the NFL. I want him locked up too but I don't want him at 13mil a year.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2014, 02:53 PM) *

Oh I totally get when players in the NFL want to renegotiate. I have no problem with it. I'm just not sure he's deserving of more money, that's all. I think he's paid just right for what he brings.
mcnabbulous
The point is that he has no guarantees moving into the future. The team can cut him at any point.

We can probably offer him a new deal and actually reduce the cap hit for next season while also giving him some security. I don't think it's an unreasonable request.

Given that these guys sacrifice their body on a weekly basis, I don't think desiring some financial guarantees is unfair. Additionally, he's our best WR and one of the most important players on our team. Why not attempt to keep him happy?
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2014, 08:01 PM) *
The point is that he has no guarantees moving into the future. The team can cut him at any point.

We can probably offer him a new deal and actually reduce the cap hit for next season while also giving him some security. I don't think it's an unreasonable request.

Given that these guys sacrifice their body on a weekly basis, I don't think desiring some financial guarantees is unfair. Additionally, he's our best WR and one of the most important players on our team. Why not attempt to keep him happy?

I have no problem with the Eagles re-working his deal and providing him with some guaranteed money over the next 3 years. In fact, I agree with you. It could be a win-win for the Eagles and DeSean. I just don't think he is worth any more money than what he is currently being paid.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 6 2014, 02:50 PM) *
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/1/...ing-career-year

He's scheduled to earn $10.2 million in 2014. Franchise-tag number (top-5) for a WR last year was $10.5 mil. He can ask for whatever he wants, but I don't think he's going to get a lot of sympathy on this one.

Does the word 'contract' mean anything in sports anymore? And could this fucker maybe have waited a week after he got 53
yards on 3 receptions in our elimination game before asking for more money?

Congrats on your career numbers pal - you're finally in the top 10 in yards for the first time ever, and 14th in TDs! Accept your
money and play, or get cut and make even less because nobody else in the NFL is going to pay you more than you're already
making. Asshole.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 6 2014, 04:10 PM) *
Does the word 'contract' mean anything in sports anymore?

If he got cut tomorrow, would that mean that the Eagles aren't honoring the contract?

Edit: It's also hard to get more yards and catches when your QB won't throw it your way. He was targeted like 6 times and accounted for nearly 90 yards if you count the penalty. The two second half drives we scored touchdowns both had long pass attempts to Desean included. No coincidence.
HOUSEoPAIN
If he got cut tomorrow, would that mean that the Eagles aren't honoring the contract?

Provided he received his guaranteed money, of course not.

Edit: It's also hard to get more yards and catches when your QB won't throw it your way. He was targeted like 6 times and
accounted for nearly 90 yards if you count the penalty. The two second half drives we scored touchdowns both had long pass
attempts to Desean included. No coincidence.

Yes, I understand - I'm simply saying he could've waited a week (or 4) before asking for more money after we got eliminated,
with him having a statistically below average day.

We wanted to keep him in Philly 2 years ago, and keep him happy, and he certainly had leverage back then - and the Eagles
ponied up, which I'm glad they did. Now? No team would come near what we're paying him, I say tell him to shut the fuck up
and play.

make_it_rain
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2014, 04:01 PM) *

Basically this. It's pretty easy to just write this off as a shameless money grab by jackson, but his guaranteed money ends after this season, and they could extend him and get the cap hit down. It really wouldnt be that bad of a move.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 6 2014, 03:22 PM) *
Yes, I understand - I'm simply saying he could've waited a week (or 4) before asking for more money after we got eliminated,
with him having a statistically below average day.

We wanted to keep him in Philly 2 years ago, and keep him happy, and he certainly had leverage back then - and the Eagles
ponied up, which I'm glad they did. Now? No team would come near what we're paying him, I say tell him to shut the fuck up
and play.

He was asked about it and he responded. Would he have been better off saying "No comment" and allowing a bunch of people to speculate on his thoughts? Not only did he respond, but he sounded pretty sensible in doing so...

"Itís really out of my control. What Iím able to do out there on the field definitely speaks for itself. Hopefully, we can work something out thatís fair for the both of us. But I definitely feel deserving," said Jackson

What an asshole.
Phits
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 6 2014, 03:07 PM) *
I have no problem with the Eagles re-working his deal and providing him with some guaranteed money over the next 3 years. In fact, I agree with you. It could be a win-win for the Eagles and DeSean. I just don't think he is worth any more money than what he is currently being paid.

If Jay Cutler can get a seven-year, $126.7 million contract ($54 million in total guaranteed money avg 18 mil a season) DJax deserves a bump. He is currently the 10th highest paid WR in the league. Vincent Jackson, Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe and Devin Hester all make more than him.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 6 2014, 09:30 PM) *
If Jay Cutler can get a seven-year, $126.7 million contract ($54 million in total guaranteed money avg 18 mil a season) DJax deserves a bump. He is currently the 10th highest paid WR in the league. Vincent Jackson, Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe and Devin Hester all make more than him.

Comparing QBs to WRs is apples and oranges.

Going by TGryn's numbers in the original post, DJax is scheduled to earn $10.2 in 2014. The average of the top 5 WRs in the NFL is $10.5mil. If TGryn's numbers are accurate, DeSean is making what he should be making.

I have no problem with him getting some of that money secured over the next 3 years but he does not deserve to make any more money than the top 5 WRs in the NFL.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 6 2014, 04:38 PM) *
Comparing QBs to WRs is apples and oranges.

Going by TGryn's numbers in the original post, DJax is scheduled to earn $10.2 in 2014. The average of the top 5 WRs in the NFL is $10.5mil. If TGryn's numbers are accurate, DeSean is making what he should be making.

I have no problem with him getting some of that money secured over the next 3 years but he does not deserve to make any more money than the top 5 WRs in the NFL.

Yeah, I think this is reasonable. It sounds to me like he wants some guarantees. The original deal was really basically a 3 year deal the way it was structured.

I know I much prefer watching the Desean that's less worried about getting his next concussion and being paid accordingly. I like the guy we saw this year.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2014, 07:53 PM) *

Uh . . .

They HAVE him locked up for the next 3-4 years already.

And considering his yearly take is right in line with current Franchise Tag numbers, he's 100% nutz.

He's getting top 5 money and he's nowhere near a top 5 receiver.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 6 2014, 04:50 PM) *
Uh . . .

And considering his yearly take is right in line with current Franchise Tag numbers, he's 100% nutz.

Go ahead and look at it that way, but no top players in football are playing without guaranteed money. That "long-term" deal he signed was fool's gold and I'm sure the Eagles knew it at the time.

It's not even a matter of if the Eagles should give him a new deal. I would say it's a certainty.

You would think this fanbase hasn't been through this before.

And he's definitely near a top-5 receiver in football. I'm not saying he's top-5, but he's top-10.
Phits
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 6 2014, 03:38 PM) *
The average of the top 5 WRs in the NFL is $10.5mil

I am not sure if that average is accurate:

5 - Vincent Jackson $11.1 million
4 - Dwayne Bowe $11.2 million
3 - Mike Wallace $12 million
2 - Larry Fitzgerald $16.1 million
1 - Calvin Johnson $16.3 million

*Edit
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 6 2014, 03:50 PM) *
Uh . . .

After Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and AJ Green the WR field gets muddled.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 6 2014, 09:01 PM) *
I am not sure if that average is accurate:

5 - Vincent Jackson $11.1 million
4 - Dwayne Bowe $11.2 million
3 - Mike Wallace $12 million
2 - Larry Fitzgerald $15.75 million
1 - Calvin Johnson $18.8 million

You will have to get TGryn to state where he got his data from.

I will say this, no WR is worth 18mil per season. Detroit is crazy giving out that kind of money.
Phits
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 6 2014, 04:10 PM) *
You will have to get TGryn to state where he got his data from.

I will say this, no WR is worth 18mil per season. Detroit is crazy giving out that kind of money.

Source
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 6 2014, 09:11 PM) *

One of the things that is difficult about NFL salaries is predicting how much the player will actually receive.

Taking your source as an example, C. Johnson averages 16mil per year. Only 6.9 mil per year is guaranteed with 48mil of the full 113 guaranteed throughout the entire contract. More than likely Johnson will never see the full 113mil. He will have to restructure or he will be released before the Lions pay that full amount. The same can be said about DeSean's contract although his only runs through the 2017 season. I think that is why DeSean wants a new contract. If you sort on "Guaranteed Per Year" in your source, Jackson is 19th on the list.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 6 2014, 05:09 PM) *
After Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and AJ Green the WR field gets muddled.

Agreed. Additionally, Desean has a few years on Larry. At this point, I'm not sure I wouldn't taken DJax for the next few season. I think Fitz is on the downside.
Chip Kelly
This can only end badly.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Chip Kelly @ Jan 6 2014, 04:33 PM) *
This can only end badly.

The simple fact is DJax is paid more than he's worth - we can debate if he's top 10 or top 7 and a half, but the fact is he's paid
like a top 5 receiver, and he simply isn't one. Meaning, no other team is going to pay him more than he's already getting from
us. This isn't a TO situation, where we refuse to pony up some dough for one of the top 5 WRs in NFL history, who's making
not even top-10 money.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 6 2014, 06:03 PM) *
The simple fact is DJax is paid more than he's worth - we can debate if he's top 10 or top 7 and a half, but the fact is he's paid
like a top 5 receiver, and he simply isn't one.

You obviously didn't bother to read most of the posts in this thread. He's not being paid like a top-5 receiver.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2014, 10:09 PM) *
He's not being paid like a top-5 receiver.

Nor is he a top 5 receiver.

He's being paid in line with his value. He's more easily taken out of a game than those other guys mentioned as top 5 receivers, yet his pay is in line. His cap number is actually just under 13 mil for 2014, so if you're going to cite cap numbers for the other guys, you gotta keep it apples to apples.

Either way. You set a bad precedent by reworking a 6 year deal a mere 2 years in. Lurie has shown that he wont go there, and I for one think he's right.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 6 2014, 06:17 PM) *
Nor is he a top 5 receiver.

He's being paid in line with his value. He's more easily taken out of a game than those other guys mentioned as top 5 receivers, yet his pay is in line. His cap number is actually just under 13 mil for 2014, so if you're going to cite cap numbers for the other guys, you gotta keep it apples to apples.

Either way. You set a bad precedent by reworking a 6 year deal a mere 2 years in. Lurie has shown that he wont go there, and I for one think he's right.

He's making zero guaranteed money moving forward. That is not in-line with anything.

As CT pointed out, his contract was 19th as far as guaranteed $ per year. That contract is no longer relevant and should be reworked.
Phits
Consider his worth to this team before decreeing that he isn't a top 5 WR. He had a break out season in his new coaches system. His value to this team over the next 2-3 years means that we don't have to search for a replacement who may/may not fit into the demands of the system.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 6 2014, 05:26 PM) *
Consider his worth to this team before decreeing that he isn't a top 5 WR. He had a break out season in his new coaches system. His value to this team over the next 2-3 years means that we don't have to search for a replacement who may/may not fit into the demands of the system.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why there is so much vitriol towards one of our best players. He's cocky, but he's a pretty good guy.

It's a business. An exceptionally dangerous business. Wanting to feel financially protected is more than reasonable.
HOUSEoPAIN
For the life of me, I can't figure out why there is so much vitriol towards one of our best players.

For starters, hinting that he's going to cause a distraction with his contract less than 2 days after getting eliminated rubs some of us the wrong way. Their lockers are barely
cleaned out and he's talking about getting a 2 year old mega-contract restructured.

It's a business.

Which forms the basis for my point - he has no leverage this time - he isn't making $550k looking for a star contract - he HAS a star contract and no team in the league will
ever pay him more than he's receiving now. Therefore, he's ours - he can play and like it - or he can take a pay cut somewhere else.

Wanting to feel financially protected is more than reasonable.

Sure it is - which is why he signed onto a freaking deal that makes him another $10+ million this year.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 6 2014, 08:39 PM) *
For starters, hinting that he's going to cause a distraction with his contract less than 2 days after getting eliminated rubs some of us the wrong way. Their lockers are barely
cleaned out and he's talking about getting a 2 year old mega-contract restructured.

He was asked a question and responded. If Ruben Frank weren't such a douchey troll, none of us would be talking about this.

Which forms the basis for my point - he has no leverage this time - he isn't making $550k looking for a star contract - he HAS a star contract and no team in the league will
ever pay him more than he's receiving now. Therefore, he's ours - he can play and like it - or he can take a pay cut somewhere else.

His leverage is that he's one of the best players on our team. That's pretty good.

Sure it is - which is why he signed onto a freaking deal that makes him another $10+ million this year.

Yeah, cause NFL deals are so legit. Guys renegotiate all the time. Team's cut guys when it suits them. He's only making $10mm if nothing bad happens that justifies the team cutting him at the drop of a hat. He's playing with nothing guaranteed. He's one of the best players on our team. That should change.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 6 2014, 07:39 PM) *
For starters, hinting that he's going to cause a distraction with his contract less than 2 days after getting eliminated rubs some of us the wrong way. Their lockers are barely cleaned out and he's talking about getting a 2 year old mega-contract restructured.

Did you read the article? There was no "hint" towards being a distraction.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 6 2014, 07:53 PM) *
Did you read the article? There was no "hint" towards being a distraction.

Seriously? The very subject hinted at a distraction provided Lurie doesn't fall over and give him more money. We'll keep track of this as time goes on.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 6 2014, 07:58 PM) *
Seriously? The very subject hinted at a distraction provided Lurie doesn't fall over and give him more money. We'll keep track of this as time goes on.

Wouldn't that be the fault of the writer? Nothing DJax said hints at any distraction
ďHonestly, I feel very confident that my agent will work something out,Ē Jackson said. ďI feel like I have a great agent, thatís what heís for, thatís what his job is, all I have to really worry about is staying out of trouble and keeping my nose clean and doing the things I need to do, working on my craft and playing football.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2014, 03:01 PM) *

But when is a guarantee not warranted?

For instance, he signed his rookie deal, as part of it, he got a nice signing bonus.

So by his standards, he worked years 2,3,4 with no guarantee.

Then he signs another deal. Gets a nice SB.

Now two years or so later, he has no "guarantee", even though he cashed in on a second signing bonus.

How about this? Don't ever pay him all of his signing bonus in year one. Make it guaranteed, but pay it out over the life of the deal, so he won't feel so insulted when he doesn't have any "guarantee!!

I think he should STFU, collect his $10M salary which is top five for a top 20 WR, and maybe watch some tape of how to keep trying to get open after you're initially covered.
mcnabbulous
Jesus, you guys are acting like he was throwing a fit and causing a ruckus in the locker room. He was asked a question and responded in a reasonable manner. It's not like he was doing push-ups in his driveway.

His payments the past two years haven't been top-5 money. They've been in-line with his caliber of play/ability. They could very easily give him a new deal where he gets some guaranteed money for the next three years and this is a non issue.

Once again, I don't get the hate. He's one of our best players. He's taken a few significant hits in his career. Give him some security. The NFL has proven they won't give a shit about him once he's done.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2014, 10:15 PM) *
Jesus, you guys are acting like he was throwing a fit and causing a ruckus in the locker room. He was asked a question and responded in a reasonable manner. It's not like he was doing push-ups in his driveway.

His payments the past two years haven't been top-5 money. They've been in-line with his caliber of play/ability. They could very easily give him a new deal where he gets some guaranteed money for the next three years and this is a non issue.

Once again, I don't get the hate. He's one of our best players. He's taken a few significant hits in his career. Give him some security. The NFL has proven they won't give a shit about him once he's done.

Not after two years of a new deal.

Sorry.

BTW, with his tenure under the CBA, isn't his 10 mill guaranteed if he's on opening day roster?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 6 2014, 10:58 PM) *
Not after two years of a new deal.

Sorry.

BTW, with his tenure under the CBA, isn't his 10 mill guaranteed if he's on opening day roster?

But you would be perfectly fine with the Eagles cutting him right now, despite only being 2 years into his deal?
These deals are made to be reworked. It's the nature of the business.
One of us will be right. I suspect the Eagles are going to re-do his deal. Time will tell.
Not sure about the guarantees, but that would only be for this year anyways. What if he got hurt during preseason?
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2014, 10:15 PM) *

I hate to say it but I tend to agree. He didn't seem to be overly-concerned about it nor did he seem to be demanding more money.

Another thing people are missing is, deals are reworked ALL OF THE TIME by BOTH sides in the NFL. Teams go to players ALL OF THE TIME and ask them to rework their deals. So I don't see the problem with reworking his deal. No, I don't believe he should get more money but I have no problem with players getting guaranteed money. They are, afterall, working/playing for our enjoyment. They should get something.

I don't want to see Djax gone. I've always liked him. It would be a major hit to this team if he weren't here any longer.
Jax
I agree with most about it not being a ridiculous request, however the timing irks me. It is selfish and immature. Stupid actually. What the heck do agents get paid for???
HobbEs
Trade him for a Safety, draft De'Anthony Thomas. Problem solved.

The last thing this team needs right now is dissention in the locker room.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Jax @ Jan 7 2014, 08:12 AM) *
I agree with most about it not being a ridiculous request, however the timing irks me. It is selfish and immature. Stupid actually. What the heck do agents get paid for???

Blame the reporter who asked him about it.
I really think most of you guys are making an issue out of this before it's an issue. When he holds out from training camp, then you can get your panties twisted.
Rick
QUOTE (Jax @ Jan 7 2014, 08:12 AM) *

He didn't bring it up on his own. The timing was the reporter's fault, not Djax. And I think his response is about as professional as it can get.
D Rock
The guy was a cancer and a coward last time he wanted a new deal. But THIS year he "went all in" for his team mates. Now he wants a cookie. What a guy. He's too phuqing dumb to realize his tacit admission that he's never gone "all in" before. He's got 30 mil left to earn on his deal, and cap hits north of 12 mil.

It's not guaranteed? Boo fucking hoo. Cry me a million dollar river. You think Joe 6 packs Auto Parts manufacturers pension is guaranteed? Guess what. There are no guarantees in the private sector asshole.

I wouldn't adjust douche-Sean's deal if they were going to hand me the Lombardi to do it.

You wanna blame the reporter who asked the question (i.e. did his job. a.k.a. went "all in" for his readers)? It doesn't take a member of Mensa to respond "now is not the time or place for that" or "I have an agent to deal with that, I'm too busy going "all in" for my team mates."
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 7 2014, 10:45 AM) *
The guy was a cancer and a coward last time he wanted a new deal. But THIS year he "went all in" for his team mates. Now he wants a cookie. What a guy. He's to phuqing dumb to realize his tacit admission that he's never gone "all in" before. He's got 30 mil left to earn on his deal, and cap hits north of 12 mil.

It's not guaranteed? Boo fucking hoo. Cry me a million dollar river. You think Joe 6 packs Auto Parts manufacturers pension is guaranteed? Guess what. There are no guarantees in the private sector asshole.

I wouldn't adjust douche-Sean's deal if they were going to hand me the Lombardi to do it.

Oh, what a coward. How dare he want to be compensated for risking his physical well being with some financial guarantees...

HobbEs
Oh, what a coward. How dare he want to be compensated for risking his physical well being with some financial guarantees...

Shit, I'll do it for half of what he's asking for.
D Rock
Yup. Coward. Or did you forget his entire year of suffering from alligator arms?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 7 2014, 11:51 AM) *
Yup. Coward. Or did you forget his entire year of suffering from alligator arms?

Well, considering he suffered another hit like that...why should he go all out without getting paid.

Believe it or not, that's why these guys do this. And in 20 years when there is a significantly increased chance that he'll be suffering from signs of dementia, it's reasonable that he wants to have as much financial compensation as possible.

The guy is one of the smallest players in football, routinely getting popped by opponents that have 30-50lbs on him, and you're calling him a coward.

Internet tough guy syndrome is taking on completely new levels in this thread.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 7 2014, 10:51 AM) *
Shit, I'll do it for half of what he's asking for.

Yeah, but the thing is...you can't. Less than 10 guys in the world can do what he does. Which is why he has leverage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.