Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts After Not Much Sleep
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/5...HI_Gamebook.pdf

Asking myself how did we lose this game?

As my previous post earlier in the week mentioned, the outcome was not a surprise, but how we got there completely was.

I will list a bunch of stats/facts from most favorable to us to least favorable and it is surprising:

We win the turnover battle 2-0. (At home, a stat that wins over 90% of the time BTW)
Drew Brees Passer Rating 75.7, 2 INT, 2 sacks
Graham 4 target, 3 catches 44 yds, 0 TD's
Foles Passer rating 105.0, no turnovers, 2 sacks, 2 passing TD's

Now if I gave you those tidbits of info, you would have bet your house, your family, your future income on an Eagles win!~

Now the bad
Missed FG - NO = 0, PHI = 1
NO yds/carry = 5.1 yds
D. Jackson = 53 yds, 0 TD
Foles 195 yards passing
McCoy 3.7 ypc, 77 yds
NO 434 yards offense
NO 185 rushing yards
PHI 256 yards offense.

So why did we lose? Some of it are individual plays, others are trends

We lost by 2 points.

1. Their kicker they pulled off the street a few weeks ago made a 47 yarder and was perfect. our drafted kicker missed a 48 yarder.

2. Poor contain on the final kickoff and the necessary longer horse collar tackling penalty to make up for it.

3. Poor tackling by our DL allowing a poor rushing team with their 2nd string RB to gain 185 and 5.1. This allowed too many drives to be extended, and allowed NO to get FG opportunities they shouldn't have. Especially on that last drive.

4. Riley Cooper's drop. At the time, we're down 20-7 and we were at our own 30 yard line. While I don't think it would have been a TD on that play, he had enough room to get to at least NO 45 and maybve the NO 30 if not a TD. Completing that pass would have given us another set of down at a minimum, would have taken 2 minutes off the play clock and would have either given us a FG attempt. Make it and NO has to play for a TD at the end, miss it and they have at least two minutes less to run their last drive. For a guy who's played lights out, that was a huge drop. Had he caught that and we scored points, Foles would have gotten four scores on each of his last four possessions.

5. Bad run blocking by the OL. 3.7 ypc. Here's a question Chip, why not put McCoy and Polk back there together once?

6. What had to be missed opportunities not seen by Foles down field. With them loading the box, guys had to be open.

7. Chung's 40 yard gimme to Meachem hurt us at a bad time. Allowed them 3 points in the 4th qtr. we couldn't afford.

8. Failure to get the ball to Jackson. If he's that fast, and they play him off like they did a few times, is it against the offensive principles to throw a ten yard button hook? That's a gimme that we never use. You throw two hooks for ten yards each, and then you hit him over the top for a 50 yard game. We NEVER use that and I have no idea why.

We can try to couch this as a tough loss in a surprisingly good season and maybe sometime down the road I will. But I can't today.

We had the team we wanted to play, in the weather we wanted to play in, in the place we wanted to play them in.

We stopped them from doing what feared us most.

And for the various reasons above, we lost.

We can sit here and do the projection that says this year 10-6 plus one more year of seasoning =11-5 etc etc.

We had this game and then at CAR. It doesn't get much prettier than that.

It is a lost opportunity and as anyone who has been around for a while knows, those don't come around that often.

Remember 2010 Eagles? What will we do next year when Vick has a whole year?

2011 Phillies? We're a shoe in for the playoffs next year

2011- 2012 Sixers? What will Doug do with this team given another year and picks?

1976 Flyers? 37 years and waiting. We all know that "Mr." Snider doesn't need to change how they go about things

We're from Philly, we should know to seize the moment because tomorrow never knows.

This blows!
JerseyEagle77
Hey, I just registered this morning after I read the title to this thread at 3 AM in morning when I got home.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your points, though I seem to be the minority that doesn't list Cooper's drop as a major impact on the outcome. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, it just ranks a bit lower on this list of things I saw that I can't get out of my head.

All I can think of is how absolutely horrific it was to watch the that D line consistently get pushed back and manhandled by the Saints OL which seemed to convert downs endlessly as the clock dwindled down in the 4th.

It's funny how on the 2 hour ride down from North Jersey I kept thinking "Be happy they're here, if it ends today it ends today, it wasn't supposed to happen and there is a bright future."....The ride back home? Not so much.

After about 4 hrs sleep and 3 cups of coffee I will sum it up like this: The loss hurts regardless of what we expected months ago. I do believe the future is bright, even with the loss, I still say the Kelly/Foles is a promising one and I am counting the seconds to OTA's and preseason so we can see what kind of positive changes have been made to the defense because God knows that needs to happen asap.
SpudDogg
QUOTE (JerseyEagle77 @ Jan 5 2014, 12:12 PM) *
...though I seem to be the minority that doesn't list Cooper's drop as a major impact on the outcome.

A missed opportunity. That's the whole point of this thread.

Would he have taken it for 6? Perhaps. Would a catch a long RAC have gotten the crowd pumped? Yes. Would it have gotten the offense pumped and the NO defense deflated? Probably. Would it have changed the outcome of the game? Maybe.

Missed opportunities are just that, a bunch of 'what ifs'.

Welcome to the board, btw. You posted a pretty well thought out post, hope you stay around for a while!
JerseyEagle77
QUOTE (SpudDogg @ Jan 5 2014, 12:20 PM) *
A missed opportunity. That's the whole point of this thread.

Would he have taken it for 6? Perhaps. Would a catch a long RAC have gotten the crowd pumped? Yes. Would it have gotten the offense pumped and the NO defense deflated? Probably. Would it have changed the outcome of the game? Maybe.

Missed opportunities are just that, a bunch of 'what ifs'.

Welcome to the board, btw. You posted a pretty well thought out post, hope you stay around for a while!

Yeah and I do understand what you and the OP are saying, I think I'm just so steamed and fixated on the defense right now that it's all I can think about.

Thanks for having me btw! I'll definitely be around quite a bit, looks like my Sunday's are free for the next little while unfortunately!
TedKord
Good post. But another thing to consider as far as Desean Jackson being a total non factor was that his biggest reception of the night should have been called back. I decided during the Vikings game that I think he needs to go. He's a cancer the way T.O. was. And most of the League had figured him out anyway.

The Eagles need more class acts like McCoy and Foles, who let their play speak for them and don't diva up and fight.
JeeQ
I keep thinking about how many times they pulled off that QB sneak on 3rd & 1/4th & 1 situations. Then I think about how many times we failed 3rd &1/4th & 1 situations. It's still getting me upset... it's like it haunts us
Reality Fan
QUOTE (TedKord @ Jan 5 2014, 12:34 PM) *
Good post. But another thing to consider as far as Desean Jackson being a total non factor was that his biggest reception of the night should have been called back. I decided during the Vikings game that I think he needs to go. He's a cancer the way T.O. was. And most of the League had figured him out anyway.

The Eagles need more class acts like McCoy and Foles, who let their play speak for them and don't diva up and fight.

I don't disagree that Jackson is a diva but certainly not in TO's class.....to suggest it is silly. His long reception was not challenged by NO and it happened on their sideline and they had the time to review the video before the Eagles got set and snapped it but you are certain?....I don't get that....He was also open on several plays that he did not get the ball.......his "non-factor" status was not his fault.....I guess the first pass his way on an out that went 5 yards wide and 5 yards high was his fault?

This is another playoff loss at the feet of the defense. The offense played the 4th ranked defense in the league and hung 24 on them. At the end of the day the game highlighted the fact that we need a top DL addition and desperately need to remove Chung and get at least a decent safety.

and Kelley needs to self reflect on his playcalling........at least their needs outside of a WR or 2 are on the defensive side of the ball.(and apparently a kicker.....what happened to that guy?)

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TedKord @ Jan 5 2014, 01:34 PM) *

Oh Jesus Christ. What the hell are you talking about? During the Vikings game when he had 195 yards receiving? That's when you decided?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 5 2014, 03:12 PM) *
I don't disagree that Jackson is a diva but certainly not in TO's class.....to suggest it is silly. His long reception was not challenged by NO and it happened on their sideline and they had the time to review the video before the Eagles got set and snapped it but you are certain?....I don't get that....He was also open on several plays that he did not get the ball.......his "non-factor" status was not his fault.....I guess the first pass his way on an out that went 5 yards wide and 5 yards high was his fault?

This is another playoff loss at the feet of the defense. The offense played the 4th ranked defense in the league and hung 24 on them. At the end of the day the game highlighted the fact that we need a top DL addition and desperately need to remove Chung and get at least a decent safety.

and Kelley needs to self reflect on his playcalling........at least their needs outside of a WR or 2 are on the defensive side of the ball.(and apparently a kicker.....what happened to that guy?)

I agree with everything other than pinning this on the defense. New Orleans has a good offense and was given several favorable field position opportunities.
Our offense left too many points on the field.
With that said, if any unit is to blame, it's special teams.
D Rock
QUOTE (TedKord @ Jan 5 2014, 05:34 PM) *

LMAO.

Lesean McCoy and "class act" in the same sentence? He's a great baller. But he's an even greater douche bag.
Zero
QUOTE (TedKord @ Jan 5 2014, 12:34 PM) *

DJax isn't in the same universe as TOO was, he may be high strung and he had a bad 'tude in a contract year but he hasn't been a bad influence lately at all. Foles IS class. McCoy is, or at least has been shown to be a real asshole.
JerseyEagle77
I don't think DJack is the same guy he was when he started out. He seems WAY more humble and down to earth than he was...he kind of grew out of the "T.O. phase" that T.O. never did. I like McCoy as well though there is an underlying doucheiness about him.
Rick
While the defense struggled in that last drive, I cannot be upset with them nearly as much as the offense. They didn't show up until the 4th quarter.

I've voiced my concerns over Henry as a kicker. Since we drafted him I've not been comfortable anytime they trot him off the field.

We were also asking where Poik and Brown were throughout the game.

Not sure if the stat is correct but my buddy had heard--coming into the game--no team with someone who led the league in rushing has ever won a playoff game that season. I guess we kept that streak alive if it's true.

I felt like the offense played tight again--like against Dallas. Some of it was play selection but a lot of it was poor OL play at the wrong times for sure.

And I have a question. Anyone know if anyone has EVER missed a game-winning FG against us? I'm not talking about kicking a FG with 6:00 to play, I'm talking about like in the last minute (or so) of a game? Seems like people make FGs against us every time there's an opportunity. Seems like people can kick short field goals, long field goals, any field goals. I'm not saying it's our fault for not blocking them or anything, just would be nice to get a little luck every so often. Whenever another team has the opportunity--no matter how far (remember that Tampa game)--we don't even have to watch.
Zero
I can't argue with the "seize the moment" logic, it would be a stupid argument. But I do disagree with the mood of that thought. This team was at the bottom and fought the way to near the top in a very short time frame.
A lot of things went right for the Eagles this year. They stayed healthy. They were the only NFL team that didnít place anybody on injured reserve during the regular season. They got Scott Tolzien instead of Aaron Rodgers, Kyle Orton instead of Tony Romo, Jay Cutler instead of Josh McCown.

They got Mike Glennon before he started playing well, and the Lions as they started their epic slide.

And they took advantage of those opportunities, so bravo for them. But you look at next yearís schedule and see the Colts, Packers, Panthers, Cards and Seahawks, and that looks pretty rough. Now, maybe those teams wonít be any good next year. But on paper, the schedule is certainly imposing.

This year, Nick Foles, DeSean Jackson, DeMeco Ryans, LeSean McCoy, Brandon Boykin, Brent Celek and Mychal Kendricks all stayed healthy. So did the entire offensive line, with three guys in their 30s.

Does that happen again? Does sports science guarantee an entire season with no significant injuries other than Jeremy Maclin in training camp? Maybe. Maybe not.
Linc ...

There's truth to this but the problem with the argument is a failure to appreciate where they started. Sure, lost opportunity, but that's looking at the season out of context. Catching all the second string QBs sure helped. Staying healthy helped but no Maclin didn't help and Kendricks was out for a couple of games and Foles was out, and Peters was hurt, and Wolff was out (oh, Chung it!) and Fletcher was out ... it wasn't a perfect storm.

This was a good season to reestablish "team" and for Kelly to learn something about the NFL and to get a clear view of what needs to be added to make the new systems successful. I'm not OK with the loss Saturday but I don't think they had a realistic chance of getting by a team like Seattle anyway.

I'm really excited about what we could be seeing next year. The players know what's expected of them, they have the confidence born of their success this year and Howie and Chip should have a pretty clear view of what they need as well as some cap to get started on it and we've got an improved personnel department that's been working on it for a season.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 6 2014, 06:57 AM) *
Anyone know if anyone has EVER missed a game-winning FG against us?

Just last year Lawrence Tynes of the Giants missed a game winner against us - actually, he missed two attempts.....the first one,
and then the second one after our genius Walrus decided to try that not-icing-the-kicker-but-giving-him-a-free-attempt BS.

Also, Matt Ware blocked a Chargers game winner attempt a long time ago and ran it for a TD, I'm sure many of us remember
that.

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many others.
Rick
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 6 2014, 08:53 AM) *
Just last year Lawrence Tynes of the Giants missed a game winner against us - actually, he missed two attempts.....the first one,
and then the second one after our genius Walrus decided to try that not-icing-the-kicker-but-giving-him-a-free-attempt BS.

Also, Matt Ware blocked a Chargers game winner attempt a long time ago and ran it for a TD, I'm sure many of us remember
that.

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many others.

Thanks. I just couldn't remember it happening. Always seems people kick them against us from just about anywhere, 30 yard, 50 yards,63 yards, from the parking lot, etc.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 6 2014, 11:34 AM) *
Thanks. I just couldn't remember it happening. Always seems people kick them against us from just about anywhere, 30 yard, 50 yards,63 yards, from the parking lot, etc.

It does seem that way. Two good examples by HoP.

I'd take it a step further and say that teams rarely miss any field goals against us. I suspect it's no different than the league average, but it feels like guys don't miss.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2014, 10:36 AM) *
It does seem that way. Two good examples by HoP.

I'd take it a step further and say that teams rarely miss any field goals against us. I suspect it's no different than the league average, but it feels like guys don't miss.

Funny you mention this. Was talking to my local Eagles' buddy just this morning about this. I wonder what opponents' FG percentage is against us and what the league average is. I know it's sort of meaningless but, if it was like everyone else, I might feel better. Well, maybe not.

And, to top it off, it always seems like our kicker misses FGs at the worst possible times.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 6 2014, 10:34 AM) *

Matt fucking Bryant. I remember I couldn't get that game on tv, I was watching ESPN gamecast. We were up 21-20, TB had it
on the 44 or 45 with a few seconds left. "Oh nice, they're way out of range, they'll throw a hail mary, we got this." I kept
refreshing the page.....then I saw 23-21 final.....

That'll traumatize you.
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 6 2014, 06:57 AM) *
Not sure if the stat is correct but my buddy had heard--coming into the game--no team with someone who led the league in rushing has ever won a playoff game that season. I guess we kept that streak alive if it's true.

Off the top of my head, Terrell Davis did it with the Broncos (SB win) and of course Emmitt Smith did it with the Cowboys.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 6 2014, 11:43 AM) *
Off the top of my head, Terrell Davis did it with the Broncos (SB win) and of course Emmitt Smith did it with the Cowboys.

Smith did it for all 3 of their SB wins in the 90s, so it's happened 4 times. Also it happened several times in the pre-SB era.
Rick
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 6 2014, 10:47 AM) *
Matt fucking Bryant. I remember I couldn't get that game on tv, I was watching ESPN gamecast. We were up 21-20, TB had it
on the 44 or 45 with a few seconds left. "Oh nice, they're way out of range, they'll throw a hail mary, we got this." I kept
refreshing the page.....then I saw 23-21 final.....

That'll traumatize you.

I was listening on Sirius because I wasn't where I could watch it. Had just pulled into the driveway when he was kicking. Just sat there for a minute after it was good.
Rick
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 6 2014, 11:58 AM) *
Smith did it for all 3 of their SB wins in the 90s, so it's happened 4 times. Also it happened several times in the pre-SB era.

Smith was the first person I thought of. I got it from a buddy of mine I don't know where he heard it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.