Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Play calling
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
koolaidluke
Did anybody have a problem with the Eagles play calling on offense last night? Some fans have been extremely critical of the play calling in general without being specific about what the problem was. The calls looked fine to me. The only thing I noticed is that it seemed like the Eagles game plan was more straight forward in this game as opposed to more exotic stuff we've seen over the last several weeks.
mcnabbulous
I think the bigger issue is Foles seeming lack of confidence the past two games. There is tons of value in not throwing picks, but you have to capitalize on opportunities and he was simply holding the ball too long. There were lots of plays where he either threw it to the more conservative option, took a sack, or threw it away. It reminded me of Donnie.

They would show the "great" coverage on DJax and half the replays displayed opportunities to throw the ball his way. The one time Foles finally did, Jackson made a play.

Ultimately he needs to have more confidence in himself, the system, and his teammates. You can't play not to lose.
koolaidluke
I didn't think he was that bad.

McNabb made an entire career out of not throwing picks.

I think whenever there is a loss people naturally want to look for a specific reason for it, even if it isn't there. The Bengals muddled around for 2 seasons before hitting their stride this year, even though in terms of personell they are basically the same team and Andy Dalton is still a mediocrity.
Rick
I think the play calling was a bit off but I had more of a problem with Foles holding the ball too long a couple of times. That one sack he took he just CANNOT take. He had like all day to get rid of it. Took us out of FG range. Just can't take it.

I also love having Shady on the team but he gets in these ruts where he dances around way too much. More of it last night at times. Just take a few yards. Not gonna break one on every play! Follow your blockers when you get out sometimes as well.

And, uncharacteristically, Cooper drops that ball. If he catches that, might have been a different outcome.

Can't complain about how the defense played (overall), however, I did have a problem with how it seemed every time NO ran the ball--especially Brees on those sneaks in short yardage--they always seemed to fall forward for 3 or 4 yards. No push back on those. And Kendricks, after playing lights out last week, had an off game missing some tackles. I like that he's still around the ball. Just has to get more consistent. I think, as he grows, he may grow into a very good defensive player. Just has to stop those lapses where he misses tackles.

Offensive line looked off at times as well. But, overall, I feel they gave Foles enough time and opened enough holes for our running game. But they certainly didn't look as good as they had in the past.

And where was Brown and Polk?

If our offense had played for more than 1 quarter last night, we win that game.

A little disturbing how the offense didn't show up last week nor this week. I guess we've got all offseason to correct and improve.

Disappointed in the outcome but very pleased with the season. I thought we'd (at best) get 5 wins so it was all house money. Very excited about next season. Just hope they keep Cooper and a couple of the other FAs and add to the team especially on defense.
Rick
Oh, and, I really hope we can find a better kicker. Every time they trot him out I feel uneasy--even on short FGs. Seems like anything over about 40 yards is an adventure with him. Maybe his stats are better but that's the feeling I get. Really can't afford to miss that FG he did in the 1st half of that game. No, wasn't a chip shot but, in today's NFL, you've gotta make it.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Jan 5 2014, 07:45 AM) *
Did anybody have a problem with the Eagles play calling on offense last night? Some fans have been extremely critical of the play calling in general without being specific about what the problem was. The calls looked fine to me. The only thing I noticed is that it seemed like the Eagles game plan was more straight forward in this game as opposed to more exotic stuff we've seen over the last several weeks.

Several players had poor games, but that's what happens in a loss. A superior team came in, we didn't put sufficient pressure on their star QB, and we lost on a last second
field goal. Other than the obvious disappointment I feel, I am excited about this team's future.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 5 2014, 02:27 PM) *
Several players had poor games, but that's what happens in a loss. A superior team came in, we didn't put sufficient pressure on their star QB, and we lost on a last second
field goal. Other than the obvious disappointment I feel, I am excited about this team's future.

They were definitely not a superior team.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Jan 5 2014, 09:44 AM) *
I didn't think he was that bad.

McNabb made an entire career out of not throwing picks.

I think whenever there is a loss people naturally want to look for a specific reason for it, even if it isn't there. The Bengals muddled around for 2 seasons before hitting their stride this year, even though in terms of personell they are basically the same team and Andy Dalton is still a mediocrity.

He wasn't bad, he was too conservative. Donovan couldn't capitalize on opportunities and left too many points on the field. That was true of Nick the past two weeks.
If he continues taking those kind of sacks, Chip will look for someone who doesn't. You can count on that.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2014, 08:33 AM) *
I think the bigger issue is Foles seeming lack of confidence the past two games. There is tons of value in not throwing picks, but you have to capitalize on opportunities and he was simply holding the ball too long. There were lots of plays where he either threw it to the more conservative option, took a sack, or threw it away. It reminded me of Donnie.

They would show the "great" coverage on DJax and half the replays displayed opportunities to throw the ball his way. The one time Foles finally did, Jackson made a play.

Ultimately he needs to have more confidence in himself, the system, and his teammates. You can't play not to lose.

To be fair, his holding onto the ball was the reason he found cooper for the TD. Take the good with the bad. He outplayed a HOF QB last night and rallied his team to the lead, which would have been more had his K been as good as NO and Cooper did hot have that bad drop.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 5 2014, 03:08 PM) *
To be fair, his holding onto the ball was the reason he found cooper for the TD. Take the good with the bad. He outplayed a HOF QB last night and rallied his team to the lead, which would have been more had his K been as good as NO and Cooper did hot have that bad drop.

Nope - you can't show up for one quarter and beat good teams. I just can't agree with you there. He was too conservative. We saw on the replays that DJax was running open several times and Foles didn't give him a chance.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 5 2014, 02:08 PM) *

I have to laugh about the angst of the Cooper drop.........it was a bad drop BUT....if he makes that catch remember....the rest of the game is different as well.....the Eagles came back and took the lead.........makes the drop moot......

We played a very good team and they took advantage of us stopping the pass......our D line showed it warts......

Kelley seems like the type to learn from his mistakes rather than just talk about it which seemed to be Reid's issue.

This team has a great core and they are young....they will be a very scary team next year. Enjoy that.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2014, 07:18 PM) *
Nope - you can't show up for one quarter and beat good teams. I just can't agree with you there. He was too conservative. We saw on the replays that DJax was running open several times and Foles didn't give him a chance.

We saw on the replays exactly ONCE that DJax was open and didn't get the ball. DJax let #28 get in his head.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 5 2014, 07:20 PM) *
I have to laugh about the angst of the Cooper drop.........it was a bad drop BUT....if he makes that catch remember....the rest of the game is different as well.....the Eagles came back and took the lead.........makes the drop moot......

We played a very good team and they took advantage of us stopping the pass......our D line showed it warts......

Kelley seems like the type to learn from his mistakes rather than just talk about it which seemed to be Reid's issue.

This team has a great core and they are young....they will be a very scary team next year. Enjoy that.

Yup. Many factors came to result in the loss. But chief among them was our total lack of pressure on Brees. Fletcher Cox looked totally disinterested all night.

He's my "goat of the game."
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 5 2014, 02:28 PM) *
We saw on the replays exactly ONCE that DJax was open and didn't get the ball. DJax let #28 get in his head.

Yep I saw that one time too on the replay. I "love' how after Foles didnt see him he came back and fought to get open. I often wonder if he is ever embarrassed by the coaches in film review. His lack of effort doesn't fit the mo of this team.
Phits
The D sold out to eliminate the vaunted passing attack, which allowed the Saints to gash us on the ground. You also have to consider that Shady needs continuous touches to be productive. He is liable to break one, but he needs the opportunities. It would have served us well to incorporate the other backs into the game, but our passing game was not as effective/efficient and failed to execute early (after the D gift wrapped the first half). Our o-line was pass protecting very well, but that allowed Foles too much time to deliberate his passes. He took 2 unwarranted sacks and intentional grounding penalties, at key junctures in the game. He cost us points in the first half, Henery exaggerated that by missing the FG which should have been a much closer attempt. The key for me was his bad play coming out of the half. That possession should have equaled points or at the least given us positive yardage and allow our punter a better opportunity to help with the field position battle.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 5 2014, 02:28 PM) *

They aired a sequence of replays were DJax was running open. It was more than once. However, the replays didn't show Foles' progression or the final outcome of the plays.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 5 2014, 03:28 PM) *

I definitely saw more than once. What does open mean to you? When you have one of the better receivers in football, which Desean is, you have to give them chances to make plays. Once resulted in a big catch and another time in a crucial PI call. How many more were left on the field?
Foles played mediocre for the past two weeks. Like I said, if he keeps that up moving forward, he won't be Chip's starter, regardless of his passer rating. I expect him to get better, but that was a concerning trend in the past two games.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2014, 02:48 PM) *
I definitely saw more than once. What does open mean to you? When you have one of the better receivers in football, which Desean is, you have to give them chances to make plays. Once resulted in a big catch and another time in a crucial PI call. How many more were left on the field?
Foles played mediocre for the past two weeks. Like I said, if he keeps that up moving forward, he won't be Chip's starter, regardless of his passer rating. I expect him to get better, but that was a concerning trend in the past two games.

You sound like the guy at the next table at the bar yelling that froles can't handle the big game. He went on and on. Then cooper has the drive ending drop and foles leads three scores and overcomes the 13 pt. deficit leaves the field with the lead and I turn and say was that pressure enough? He looked at me in disbelief. Then after we lost I asked was that drive foles fault? Dude just said name, fin defense!
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2014, 02:48 PM) *

That being said, I did list not seeing open we as one of the reasons. My son was at the game and said there were some,but tough to see where they ere in the options.

If you are fol
es, after the lack of effort going after the ball in Minn, do you trust djax to get it for you?
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 5 2014, 03:06 PM) *
If you are foles, after the lack of effort going after the ball in Minn, do you trust djax to get it for you?

The Minn. game where DJax had 195 receiving yards?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 5 2014, 04:20 PM) *
The Minn. game where DJax had 195 receiving yards?

Seriously. People love to harp on one play as if it's the defining element of a player.
How about the play where he did go up and make a great catch last night? Despite given very few chances, Desean contributed nearly 90 yards through the air if you count the PI. Imagine if Foles gave him more opportunities.

I'm not blaming the loss on Foles. He played the safe, conservative game. Didn't make mistakes. I just think he left too much on the field, which was my common criticism of McNabb. At least I'm consistent.
Time will tell if Chip is satisfied with that type of play. From my perspective, I'm beginning to think lots of guys can succeed in Chip's offense. If Foles continues playing that way, we will see if Chip is satisfied.

koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2014, 02:18 PM) *

How was this game any different than most of the Eagles wins during the second half of the season aside from the fact that the defense didn't hold this time?

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Jan 5 2014, 06:25 PM) *
How was this game any different than most of the Eagles wins during the second half of the season aside from the fact that the defense didn't hold this time?

In most games, we played well early, got a solid lead, and shut it down. In our 2 losses, offensively we played like dog shit for most of the first 3 quarters, got big deficits, and gave our defense no room for error.
We aren't good enough to play partial games. Like I said, Foles played not to lose, similar to how he played vs. Dallas. This time, he simply did it against a better team.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2014, 05:30 PM) *
In most games, we played well early, got a solid lead, and shut it down. In our 2 losses, offensively we played like dog shit for most of the first 3 quarters, got big deficits, and gave our defense no room for error.
We aren't good enough to play partial games. Like I said, Foles played not to lose, similar to how he played vs. Dallas. This time, he simply did it against a better team.

How many qtrs. did brees play? Certainly not the first half, when he put up 6 points. Maybe the third quarter? Plus seven handoffs in half a field to end the game? Foles outplayed his hof counterpart. Our K, OL,RB, and DL did not.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 5 2014, 07:24 PM) *
How many qtrs. did brees play? Certainly not the first half, when he put up 6 points. Maybe the third quarter? Plus seven handoffs in half a field to end the game? Foles outplayed his hof counterpart. Our K, OL,RB, and DL did not.

Are you related to Nick? I've made it very clear that if one unit was responsible for the loss, it was our special teams.
I actually don't necessarily agree with you about Foles outplaying Brees. Foles averaged less than 6 yards per attempt. Compared to his typical 9.
Brees had one bad pick, but nearly every drive he led move the chains. We had four 3 and outs. The Saints only had 2.
Bree's played pretty well the entire second half. Foles didn't really step it up until the end of the 3rd quarter.
I'm not even saying Brees played well. It has nothing to do with Nick's mediocre performance. If the Saints had lost, you could easily pin it on Brees.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.