Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safeties
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
Byrd...of course

Whitner and Pollard

any 1 of these wouuld solidify safety with Wolff.

With our cap space we can offer more than most teams.

Thoughts?
D Rock
I like Byrd from a talent perspective, but he's too often injured. He can't help when in the trainers room.

We gotta go draft for safety.
make_it_rain
TJ Ward is probably the dream scenario, but I'm almost positive he stays with the Browns. Joe Haden has even offered to take a paycut to keep him there. On an unrelated note to the topic at hand, Haden is such a fucking boss. Just wanted to throw that in there.

I think I'd rather have them get a safety through FA, so they could get someone with experience back there with Wolff. Byrd is really good but he'll want an assload of money, and he did have that shady foot injury this year, but it appears to be behind him.

Still, safety is a big enough need that it needs to be addressed either very early in the draft or in FA, so I guess it comes down to who is on the board in the first two rounds. I'd rather grab some high grade corners or linebackers in the first two rounds instead of reaching for a safety, when with the cap space we can just as easily address safety (and get a known commodity with experience) by signing someone in FA.

Zero
My guess is they sign a FA but not Byrd. Byrd seems more a Banner move to me with the big name - Dream Team anyone. They know they need an experienced safety and they won't want to be in a spot where they could be tempted to draft for need, wanting to go BPA.

Very few were excited about the CB signings this year but they seem to have acclimated pretty well ... not the best, but play well within Davis' system. The FA safety they go for may not be a glamorous choice in that vein.
nephillymike
When I hear talk of drafting safeties I just have to laugh as in

Ha Ha
Clinton-Dix

Safety from Alabama.

He should be there unless we go real far in the playoffs
Eyrie
I think we need two safeties - a veteran and a high pick. Too early to rely on Wolff as one starter, Anderson is a STer and that leaves one spot for Allen/Coleman/Chung to fight over.
HobbEs
It's not a good draft for safeties. There's Clinton-Dix who could be a late first rounder and one other kid (I think from Oregon?) who could also go late first. That's it.

Our top priority should be sticking it to Banner and sign TJ Ward away from the Browns. I don't see them throwing a ton of money at Byrd but with fewer holes than originally thought it could happen. At what point does Howie flip the "win now" switch?
mcnabbulous
I don't think we can ever count on a position of need providing a viable candidate in the free agent market.

If it's a guy we would really want, why would his previous team allow him to become available?
make_it_rain
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2014, 12:27 PM) *
I don't think we can ever count on a position of need providing a viable candidate in the free agent market.

If it's a guy we would really want, why would his previous team allow him to become available?

In Byrd's case, I think the team and his representation are just too far apart on numbers, and Byrd is still salty they franchised him last year. The Bills had already offered him a pretty good 5 year deal that he turned down, so I think at this point the team's had enough of his pouting and are just about ready to part ways with him. I'm not certain the Bills will just let him walk out the door free and clear though.

Byrd's play speaks for itself, and I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo tries to keep him even after the drama they've had. Buffalo is quietly putting together a pretty solid defense, so the cost of letting him walk has to weigh on them. I'd bet they offer him another deal soon, but what he does with it remains to be seen. Maybe they stick it to him and tag him again?

Byrd is good enough, and safety is a big enough need, that I still think Byrd deserves a serious look if he hits the market.

mcnabbulous
Right, Byrd should be available...but as been pointed out, he'll be expensive and oft-injured. I'm all for bringing him in if the opportunity presents itself, but it's not without risk.

The bigger issues is the whole "free" element of free agency. Just because our franchise is interested in a guy, doesn't mean that he wants to be here or another team won't value that player significantly more.

We've proven we can acquire top-tier guys in free agency, but safety is a position that several teams really, really need. Expecting a guy to pick the Eagles isn't a safe bet.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2014, 11:48 AM) *
The bigger issues is the whole "free" element of free agency. Just because our franchise is interested in a guy, doesn't mean that he wants to be here or another team won't value that player significantly more.

There is much truth to what you say but it doesn't account for those players who are not worthy of a franchise tag and who are unable to come to terms with the team. Just think how much Rat Man is loved by players. How much was left in Dawk when the Eagles let him go?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.