Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Way OT: Did you guys see the Aaron Rodgers rumors?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Apparently his "ex-boyfriend" is threatening to out him.

I would virtually guarantee, if this is true, that is the reason he slipped so far in the draft. Much like Kerry Rhodes not getting a sniff in free agency this year.

Frankly, as far as the whole issue is concerned, it would be best case scenario if Rodgers was the first athlete to come out while playing. The guy may be the best in the game at the most important position in sports.

Sorry if this is of no interest to anyone else. Thought it was interesting.
D Rock
Any link? Or is that what you're hearing around the bath house?

tongue.gif
SpudDogg
D Rock: 1
mcnabbulous: 0

lol
HOUSEoPAIN
He was the 24th pick, and the 2nd QB taken in the draft. Not much of a conspiracy theory.

If true it'll be interesting to see how the locker room reacts, considering he's by far the most important member of the team and has won a ring.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 31 2013, 01:36 PM) *
Any link? Or is that what you're hearing around the bath house?

tongue.gif

Well played. smile.gif

I figured you were familiar with the powers of Google.

This was from the source that broke the story, although you can find it pretty easily by searching:
http://www.thefamedriven.com/fame-driven-m...kevin-lanflisi/

Obviously that's some crazy speculation on my behalf, but would it surprise you if he dropped in the draft if those rumors came up during the background checks that teams do during the pre draft process? Rodgers was an incredible prospect and was very much considered to be a potential #1 overall pick that year. He dropped to 24.

Oddly enough, Stewart Mandel just posted an article today with this quote in it:

The Bears' lone loss came on a goal-line stand on the road against eventual national champion USC. (I covered that game. Rodgers completed 23 consecutive passes at one point. Somehow, 23 NFL teams watched that tape and yet passed on him in the next draft.)

Source
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2013, 01:57 PM) *
Obviously that's some crazy speculation on my behalf, but would it surprise you if he dropped in the draft if those rumors came up during the background checks that teams
do during the pre draft process? Rodgers was an incredible prospect and was very much considered to be a potential #1 overall pick that year. He dropped to 24.

I don't know, it would seem to me that if he were rumored to be gay, it would drop him a hell of a lot more than the lower first round considering the stigma of the issue.
The fact that he was the 2nd QB taken after Smith at #1 implies that he wasn't drafted at the top only because most teams needing a QB didn't think he'd live up to the
hype, and they went for different positions. Obviously a miscalculation on their part, but it happens every draft. Oh well, let's see what happens with his 'friend.'
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 31 2013, 03:32 PM) *
I don't know, it would seem to me that if he were rumored to be gay, it would drop him a hell of a lot more than the lower first round considering the stigma of the issue.
The fact that he was the 2nd QB taken after Smith at #1 implies that he wasn't drafted at the top only because most teams needing a QB didn't think he'd live up to the
hype, and they went for different positions. Obviously a miscalculation on their part, but it happens every draft. Oh well, let's see what happens with his 'friend.'

Yeah, it's impossible to say. I just think that's absolutely the reason Kerry Rhodes isn't playing this year.

As for him dropping, I remember how astounded nearly everyone was on draft day. Additionally, that was one of the weakest draft classes in recent memory.

If true, I'd hope that Rodgers would make a point to come out and try to eliminate the stigma. I'd wager that most locker rooms have at least one gay player. Having Rodgers be the first would open a lot of doors for people to do so.

Here is a NYT blog post from 2011 that has a video of the ESPN guys talking about his drop on draft day.
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02...draft-day/?_r=0

There is also this quote from the post...

He was dropping on the draft board and being treated as if he had a contagious disease.

Like I said, it's total speculation on my behalf. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.
mcnabbulous
Here is Rodger's response:

http://deadspin.com/aaron-rodgers-im-not-g...wome-1492412788
D Rock
I agree both with the notion that Kerry Rhodes isn't playing this season because of the gay rumors, and that Rogers, were he in fact gay, would be an ideal "first out" candidate to get the league on the right side of that equal rights issue.

As for Rhodes, I for one would be absolutely livid if he's not on our team for that reason. He'd instantly be our best safety, and by a wide margin.
TGryn
I think he dropped in that draft because he was regarded as a Jeff Tedford system QB, all of whom up to that point had been disastrous busts in the NFL after being drafted very high. I remember reading a TSN article at the time that teams were lerry of Tedford QBs because he was so involved with micromanaging his quarterbacks that it actually hampered his QBs development, since it didn't leave them any opportunity to learn how to audible or read coverages; they were expected just to robotically carry out the plan that Tedford handed them (which usually worked well at the NCAA level because Tedford was such a workaholic and spent 24/7 looking at film): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Tedford#...7s_quarterbacks
D Rock
QUOTE (TGryn @ Dec 31 2013, 11:38 PM) *
I think he dropped in that draft because he was regarded as a Jeff Tedford system QB, all of whom up to that point had been disastrous busts in the NFL after being drafted very high. I remember reading a TSN article at the time that teams were lerry of Tedford QBs because he was so involved with micromanaging his quarterbacks that it actually hampered his QBs development, since it didn't leave them any opportunity to learn how to audible or read coverages; they were expected just to robotically carry out the plan that Tedford handed them (which usually worked well at the NCAA level because Tedford was such a workaholic and spent 24/7 looking at film): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Tedford#...7s_quarterbacks

That's how I saw it too. He was dismissed as not big enough or athletic enough and a likely beneficiary of Tedfords system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.