Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th& 1 and the one yard line
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Eyrie
I thought we should have gone for the FG because the score (17-16) was so close, but could understand going for it quickly to catch the defence out. However after Dallas called a time out we should have taken the three points because they were prepared for the attempt. Making matters worse, it was a QB sneak when our OL hadn't been on top.

Anyone agree with Kelly's decision to still go for it despite the time out?
xsv
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 30 2013, 11:36 AM) *
I thought we should have gone for the FG because the score (17-16) was so close, but could understand going for it quickly to catch the defence out. However after Dallas called a time out we should have taken the three points because they were prepared for the attempt. Making matters worse, it was a QB sneak when our OL hadn't been on top.

I didn't mind going for it there. I think that's something everyone is going to have to get used to with Kelly.

But I didn't like the sneak. I felt like it was a poor spot, a long yard, and their line was getting the best of our line all game long. I think I'd have gone with Shady over the top. Or fake to Shady and then QB draw over the top.
mcnabbulous
I don't understand why we didn't go with our bread and butter, which is spread formation and give it to Shady. A bit later on a critical short yardage play (can't remember if it was 3rd or 4th down, but we did just that and it worked.)

I understand the sneak there, because Foles is enormous, but we showed that prior to the timeout. I think coming out and doing the same thing after that was a mistake.

In general, I think it was the right decision to go for it.
Jax
I don't mind the decision to go for it. I also don't mind the playcall. We also could've run McCoy in a direct fashion, but I hate the dancing shit in short yardage situations. Bottom line, the decision and playcall were ok but we just have to be able to execute a half yard. The nose of the ball was on the 1/2 yard line.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 30 2013, 11:43 AM) *
I understand the sneak there, because Foles is enormous, but we showed that prior to the timeout. I think coming out and doing the same thing after that was a mistake.

Perhaps but even if we hadn't shown it then it was still the logical call. Bottom line, gotta execute.
Rick
I thought they were trying what the Patriots do in that situation hurry up even MORE and get the play off before the defense could even set. But the ref held onto the ball.

I hated the play since our O line hadn't been getting much push all night. I wouldn't have been unhappy had he kicked the FG but I can live with him going for it.
JeeQ
I loved the fact we went for it, but I didn't like the play call. We have too many good RBs to go with the sneak there. Shady was on fire, Bryce ran hard when he got the chance, and even Polk was putting up numbers. Or maybe we could really fool them and go with our grossly overpaid FB James Casey.
mcnabbulous
I just can't recall us using the sneak very often this year. In a critical situation like that, I prefer using one of our staples.
D Rock
No problem with the decision to go for it, or play call here. I'd bet we make it 3 tries out of 5.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 30 2013, 11:36 AM) *

I liked his decision to go for it, but the playcall in that formation was horrible. It was clear everyone in the stadium knew exactly what was coming, if we spread a couple guys out the sneak
probably would've worked.
mcnabbulous
I think we can all agree that the play where they had Brad Smith throw the ball was awful.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 30 2013, 12:39 PM) *
No problem with the decision to go for it, or play call here. I'd bet we make it 3 tries out of 5.

I'd say 4/5
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 30 2013, 01:48 PM) *
I liked his decision to go for it, but the playcall in that formation was horrible. It was clear everyone in the stadium knew exactly what was coming, if we spread a couple guys out the sneak probably would've worked.

At that point it doesn't matter. Half a yard to go, we have the advantage of delivering the snap count. Go right at them. We should have gotten a better push; that split second where Foles bobbled the ball allowed Dallas to react and they stuffed us. Repeat the same scenario and I bet we punch it in.
Zero
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 30 2013, 12:39 PM) *
But the OL was getting beaten all night it seemed and the sneak is an out-of-character play for this offense. Isn't this the type of play that Polk excelled at in college? Considering what had been happening, I'd have rather them either hand off to Shady or Polk with the option of a quick throw out of the same formation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.