Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The cornerbacks on this team are starting to grow on me.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Fletcher has been pretty solid all year, and Williams has really come on strong lately. I like the size and physicality of both. Boykin is a very formidable slot guy. All three are playmakers.

Sure, I wouldn't mind adding another guy there, but I just don't see cornerback as the biggest need on the team.

Both safety spots, on the other hand, require some serious attention. Allen and Chung had horrible games, again. Hopefully Wolff gets well soon, but this *has* to be the #1 priority in the offseason.
mcnabbulous
I agree. Pass rush and safety are both bigger issues than corner. Boykin is awesome.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 30 2013, 09:38 AM) *
I agree. Pass rush and safety are both bigger issues than corner. Boykin is awesome.

Pass rush is definitely an issue as well. Really seemed like we got stonewalled last night at the line of scrimmage, didn't it?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 30 2013, 10:49 AM) *
Pass rush is definitely an issue as well. Really seemed like we got stonewalled last night at the line of scrimmage, didn't it?

It's been a strange year. Either we seem to have a lot of success over the course of a game or nothing we do works and we can't make any adjustments to even remotely impact the QB in the pocket. Last night was the latter. We're lucky to have escaped.
Jax
I agree with all this. Our CB's played well and LB played ok too. D-Line didn't get it done. Safeties hurt us too on several occassions. The O-line wasn't good either. Foles was so-so considering the pressure. RB/TE/WR played well.
Rick
Definitely need a good rush and the safety play has been horrible all season. Also, seems like when we're playing off the receivers it kills us. I'm guessing that has (at least) something to do with the fact that our safeties suck.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 30 2013, 09:33 AM) *
Both safety spots, on the other hand, require some serious attention. Allen and Chung had horrible games, again. Hopefully Wolff gets well soon, but this *has* to be the #1 priority in the offseason.

I almost wish we would sign Dawkins and let him play against the Saints. He can't be any worse, and he would provide better moral support.
JeeQ
Cary Williams brought a toughness that we've sorely needed. He brings 100% on every play and I'm sure he legitimately hates everyone not in an Eagles uniform (and he even hates some of them); but that might be my favorite part about him. No one has dared to call our defense "soft" this season; while last year every team took the chance to. Bet you won't hear anyone calling Boykin a "Candybar" anymore
Wheeljack
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 30 2013, 03:39 PM) *
Cary Williams brought a toughness that we've sorely needed. He brings 100% on every play and I'm sure he legitimately hates everyone not in an Eagles uniform (and he even hates some of them); but that might be my favorite part about him. No one has dared to call our defense "soft" this season; while last year every team took the chance to. Bet you won't hear anyone calling Boykin a "Candybar" anymore

Yeah. He may not have the pedigree, but he certainly is a welcome change from Assmonger.
Zero
QUOTE (Jax @ Dec 30 2013, 10:53 AM) *
I agree with all this. Our CB's played well and LB played ok too. D-Line didn't get it done. Safeties hurt us too on several occassions. The O-line wasn't good either. Foles was so-so considering the pressure. RB/TE/WR played well.

The strange thing is that it seems those two weak points against Dallas are normally referred to as strengths for the defense. The DL and OL have usually been good this year, is this just a sign of youth on the DL? Can't figure the DL unless C and RT are affecting everyone else.
canadianeagle
IMO Boykin has been the best defensive play maker this team has had in a very long time.

47 tackles, 6 int's (which is second in the league), 17 pas def (which ties him for tenth), 23 plays on passes (which ties him for 5th) and one td.

Two things stand out for me. He has accomplished these very good stats despite the fact that he is not considered a starter. Some games he is out there much less depending on the offensive scheme shown. He seems to have this incredible knack of elevating his game when they need it most. His int might have sealed the game for them but he also broke up Bryant's TD as well.

The question with Boykin to ask is -- is less better? When you have possibly your best play maker sitting for 30% of the plays, is he most effective in helping the team.

I'm not sure if he has the size/skills to play on the corner but he doesn't often get beat playing inside. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some reps come next pre-season.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Dec 31 2013, 12:21 PM) *
IMO Boykin has been the best defensive play maker this team has had in a very long time.

47 tackles, 6 int's (which is second in the league), 17 pas def (which ties him for tenth), 23 plays on passes (which ties him for 5th) and one td.

Two things stand out for me. He has accomplished these very good stats despite the fact that he is not considered a starter. Some games he is out there much less depending on the offensive scheme shown. He seems to have this incredible knack of elevating his game when they need it most. His int might have sealed the game for them but he also broke up Bryant's TD as well.

The question with Boykin to ask is -- is less better? When you have possibly your best play maker sitting for 30% of the plays, is he most effective in helping the team.

I'm not sure if he has the size/skills to play on the corner but he doesn't often get beat playing inside. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some reps come next pre-season.

He's my favorite new defensive player Trent emerged. It's really exciting having a playmaking defensive back.

I think ultimately he will be on the outside. We simply don't have anyone else who can even play the slot right now. That's the limitation. Not whether Boykin can be a starter.

nephillymike
They had a great game and IMO are much better playing aggressively up on the WR's then playing that bs ten yards back set!

Great job!!

One thing though, if you are going to call an all out blitz and leave one guy back as the "safety net" to make a tackle in case you don't get there, why the hell would you have Chung be that guy??
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 31 2013, 08:23 PM) *
They had a great game and IMO are much better playing aggressively up on the WR's then playing that bs ten yards back set!

Great job!!

One thing though, if you are going to call an all out blitz and leave one guy back as the "safety net" to make a tackle in case you don't get there, why the hell would you have Chung be that guy??

I saw someone break down that play. Essentially, Chung was matched up in the slot on Austin. Austin ended up motioning to the outside and our defensive backs stayed in place, leaving Chung on Dez in the slot. Obviously that sucks.
The good point made was why would they blitz Boykin in that situation and leave Chung in coverage rather than the opposite?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.