Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kendricks...WOW!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
Kendricks really stepped up last night. He was all over the place. If he can play like that regularly, he will be a star.

I remember when he couldn't tackle my 7 year old son, now he's looking like a beast. Was fun watching him wreak havoc last night.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 30 2013, 07:40 AM) *
Kendricks really stepped up last night. He was all over the place. If he can play like that regularly, he will be a star.

I remember when he couldn't tackle my 7 year old son, now he's looking like a beast. Was fun watching him wreak havoc last night.

I was always a fan of the pick. He's just now finally breaking out. The one time Andy's regime picked a good LB... LOL
Rick
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Dec 30 2013, 07:56 AM) *
I was always a fan of the pick. He's just now finally breaking out. The one time Andy's regime picked a good LB... LOL

Honestly, he always seemed to be around the ball before, just missed tackles. Now he's making some PLAYS. Last night he reminded me of that guy in Pittsburgh with the funny hair... wink.gif
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 30 2013, 07:40 AM) *

Before the game in the locker room he told a reporter, "I am going to make a difference tonight." Gotta think his confidence is a big reason he is playing so well.
mcnabbulous
He made some plays, but Witten also had 12 catches for 135 yards when Kendrick was primarily in coverage. He still struggles mightily against physical tight ends.

Obviously that's a concern considering we are facing arguably the best one in football this weekend.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 30 2013, 10:04 AM) *
He made some plays, but Witten also had 12 catches for 135 yards when Kendrick was primarily in coverage. He still struggles mightily against physical tight ends.

Obviously that's a concern considering we are facing arguably the best one in football this weekend.

I give him a slight pass on the grounds that Witten and Jimmy Graham do that to everybody. They wouldn't be the best TEs in the league if they didn't. Honestly I'm expecting to get our asses handed to us by Graham (he's 6'7, 265!); I just hope we can keep everyone else locked down.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 30 2013, 02:04 PM) *

I've been really critical of Kendricks, and I still think overall the guy is a liability in coverage, but its starting to be more balanced out by him coming up with big plays on the ball and decent pass rush. He's much better than I initially gave him credit for this year.

I guess what I'm curious about is Davis' and the staff's approach to this problem is. It should be pretty clear on tape that this area of the field is a really soft spot for coverage. What do you do to address it? I wonder how much they'll decide to blitz to try to get to Brees.

Fortunately the Saints don't have much of a rushing threat to account for. Pierre Thomas is their leading rusher and only has 550 yards/3.7 ypc on the season, and as a team they're pretty poor in rushing/ypc.

Also, their rush defense is definitely the soft spot of their defense, in the top 5 worst ypc allowed...right there with Dallas, Green Bay, Chicago (bears are the worst by a long shot though). All opponents this team has gashed with the run at one point or another this season.

Birdwatcher
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 30 2013, 01:04 PM) *

Half were on Kendricks, a few were Demeco, and another few were on our wonderful safeties. Now Kendricks is not strong in coverage, yet, but I think with his speed it is a matter of learning technique. What he does, consistently, is make plays, game changing ones. Right now they are more than his flaws, with room to grow. Its only his second year and he has made some impressive plays, a forced fumble and an INT are not just 'some plays' they are big plays.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 30 2013, 01:04 PM) *

And who doesn't have a tough time with guys like this? He also had him covered pretty well a few times and got an interception because of it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 31 2013, 08:09 AM) *
And who doesn't have a tough time with guys like this? He also had him covered pretty well a few times and got an interception because of it.

He was largely responsible for allowing Witten's most receptions of the season (50% more than any other game) and yards. I was simply pointing that out. I like Kendricks. He seems to be a playmaker, but that is a pretty significant flaw, especially as we prepare to face the best TE in football.
It's worth pointing out as everybody is singing his praises.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2013, 08:25 AM) *
He was largely responsible for allowing Witten's most receptions of the season (50% more than any other game) and yards. I was simply pointing that out. I like Kendricks. He seems to be a playmaker, but that is a pretty significant flaw, especially as we prepare to face the best TE in football.
It's worth pointing out as everybody is singing his praises.

The nice thing here is progress. Kendricks isn't alone either. From the Chipsta on down everyone seems to be improving as the year moves on. His time management is improving, his play calling is better and his whole grasp of the NFL seems to have improved. The DL is playing better (well, except for a couple of lapses), the CBs are playing better, the LBs and (ulp) the safties are playing better. Everyone on the offense seems to stepping it up too. This team is different than it was in the first couple of weeks and if that continues we're all going to have a fun ride.
D Rock
I loved Kendricks leading up to that draft and was over the moon that we took him. But while he's seemingly finding ways to make big plays, he still has way too many games where I'm thinking "this guy is Ernie Simms II.

Overall, I am disappointed in his lack of instincts. He's totally as advertised physically. But he should be farther along in his development by now. I'll give him a small pass due to the clown car freak show of coaches he had to deal with last year who may have stunted that development arch.

I'm still hopeful he will come around, but he's still a total liability in coverage.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 31 2013, 05:33 PM) *
I loved Kendricks leading up to that draft and was over the moon that we took him. But while he's seemingly finding ways to make big plays, he still has way too many games where I'm thinking "this guy is Ernie Simms II.

Overall, I am disappointed in his lack of instincts. He's totally as advertised physically. But he should be farther along in his development by now. I'll give him a small pass due to the clown car freak show of coaches he had to deal with last year who may have stunted that development arch.

I'm still hopeful he will come around, but he's still a total liability in coverage.

I think you've gone a bit too far to the Sims side of the pendulum. Kendricks has shown himself to be significantly more of a playmaker than Sims.

Mychal has 4 sacks and 3 picks this year. Sims has had 5.5 and 1 during his career, respectively. I agree that his coverage skills need improving and he missed too many tackles, but he finds himself near the ball. That was one thing Sims couldn't be taught.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2013, 11:38 PM) *
I think you've gone a bit too far to the Sims side of the pendulum. Kendricks has shown himself to be significantly more of a playmaker than Sims.

Mychal has 4 sacks and 3 picks this year. Sims has had 5.5 and 1 during his career, respectively. I agree that his coverage skills need improving and he missed too many tackles, but he finds himself near the ball. That was one thing Sims couldn't be taught.

'twas a slight exaggeration to illustrate my opinion that he's more athlete than linebacker at present. Nobody defined that scenario better than Simms.

Kendricks has indeed found a way to make some plays, thankfully. But they seem to come in chunks and he's had more games of over running plays and whiffing on tackles than games chock full o Big plays.

As I said, he's still very young and suffered through last seasons dysfunctional system and coaching, so I'm still hopeful.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 31 2013, 06:10 PM) *
'twas a slight exaggeration to illustrate my opinion that he's more athlete than linebacker at present. Nobody defined that scenario better than Simms.

Kendricks has indeed found a way to make some plays, thankfully. But they seem to come in chunks and he's had more games of over running plays and whiffing on tackles than games chock full o Big plays.

As I said, he's still very young and suffered through last seasons dysfunctional system and coaching, so I'm still hopeful.

Hey D, bet you he becomes a pro bowl LB in the next couple of seasons. Just watched some breakdowns of the plays he made on Sunday, and as Baldinger put it, "His football IQ is far ahead of his experience." The way he attacked Murray on the play he fumbled was a perfect technique play. He holds his own when covering near the sideline, highlighted by the pick of Witten, he needs to improve covering in the middle. One play, where he lined up in the middle and Murray took a hand off to the right showed his instincts and athleticism, he shot like a bullet through a bunch of guys to snag Murray for a 1 yard gain. Kid is a player, he makes mistakes, but like most of the team (Chung not included) he is getting better each week.
D Rock
I'd love it if you turn out right BW.

Like I said . . . I Loved Kendricks coming out and 100% supported our picking him.

But . . .

He made some great plays vs Dallas. He also was primarily responsible for allowing Jason witen to double his average production.

AT PRESENT, it's still a mixed bag w him, but as I've said 3 times so far in this thread . . . I'm hopeful he'll bring it all together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.