Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jon Fucking Kitna?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
SAM I Am
This is the best Jenny Jones and Jason Garrett (okay, I'll pretend he was in on the decision rolleyes.gif) could come up with?

Jon Kitna - who last played in the NFL in 2011, and is currently the HC and math teacher at Lincoln High School in Tacoma, WA the last two years - will be the next man up when Kyle Orton gets the snot knocked out of him tomorrow night.

Kitna contacted the cowturds and told them he would be willing to come in and play if they wanted him to.

Evidently, Jenny and Jason didn't like what they saw from the three QBs they brought in earlier in the week, and sent them home.

To his credit, and probably the only reason he is doing this, Kitna is taking the $53,000 he will earn this Sunday and donating it to the school where he has been coaching and teaching math the past two years.

It gets better by the day Eagle fans!!!

Phits
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 28 2013, 10:44 AM) *
This is the best Jenny Jones and Jason Garrett (okay, I'll pretend he was in on the decision rolleyes.gif) could come up with?

Jon Kitna - who last played in the NFL in 2011, and is currently the HC and math teacher at Lincoln High School in Tacoma, WA the last two years - will be the next man up when Kyle Orton gets the snot knocked out of him tomorrow night.

Kitna contacted the cowturds and told them he would be willing to come in and play if they wanted him to.

Evidently, Jenny and Jason didn't like what they saw from the three QBs they brought in earlier in the week, and sent them home.

To his credit, and probably the only reason he is doing this, Kitna is taking the $53,000 he will earn this Sunday and donating it to the school where he has been coaching and teaching math the past two years.

It gets better by the day Eagle fans!!!

Finding a backup for your backup in week 17 is a difficult proposition. It helps to find a player who understands the nuances of your team.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 28 2013, 01:22 PM) *
Finding a backup for your backup in week 17 is a difficult proposition. It helps to find a player who understands the nuances of your team.

Not keeping a third QB on the roster is example 1 of stupid.

It's only the most important position in all of sports.

Thank God Jones is the owner/GM.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 28 2013, 02:32 PM) *
Not keeping a third QB on the roster is example 1 of stupid.

It's only the most important position in all of sports.

Thank God Jones is the owner/GM.

Not entirely. Logic suggests that if you get to your 3rd string QB you are in a world of trouble. Would you be comfortable or satisfied with Barkley as a potential starter for us if we needed a 3rd stringer? My preferred option would be to bring in a veteran with real game experience. If we were in a similar situation I would feel more comfortable/confident with bringing back Jeff Garcia rather than going with Barkley.

Also keep in mind that there were a few teams in similar situations this season, most notably Green Bay. A reliable back-up is a must. A reliable 3rd string option is a luxury.
Eyrie
You need three QBs on your roster - an elite starter, a reliable back up and a young prospect to develop.

A team can cope when one of the first two is out, and survive with the kid if both are out for a couple of weeks. Having a veteran as the third QB is an expensive luxury given that one can be found on the street (or in high school) if needed because your starter and back up are both out.

What's hurt the Cowboys here is the lack of a third QB on the roster. Even a late round pick that is only there for potential would be better because he'd at least have a season of learning the system to draw on if anything happened to Orton. Kitna won't have that, but then if you're relying on your third QB in a de facto play off game you're probably fucked anyway.
samaroo
Good post, Eyrie. I thought there was a special spot for an "emergency QB" that didn't use a roster spot. Am I way off base?

Also, great new signature! I almost spilt my Guinness whilst reading it!

Itealaich Acai, itealaich!
Eyrie
I think the emergency QB affects the game day active players rather than the full 53 man roster.

As regards the signature - you've got a share of the credit for coming up with it smile.gif
Dreagon
We had a third QB on the practice squad, Alex Tanney, but the Browns swiped him a few weeks back.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 31 2013, 05:21 AM) *
We had a third QB on the practice squad, Alex Tanney, but the Browns swiped him a few weeks back.

That explains it. I can understand using the roster spot for a player that is more likely to be involved and having the youngster on the practice squad.

Orton had a good game for you, considering how little practice he'd had.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 31 2013, 04:01 AM) *
That explains it. I can understand using the roster spot for a player that is more likely to be involved and having the youngster on the practice squad.

Orton had a good game for you, considering how little practice he'd had.

Yeah, actually Orton did okay. And truthfully, I really wasn't all that down after the game. Had we of stumbled into a victory, New Orleans would have just annihilated us again next week. You guys can actually make a game of it, and even have a shot of beating them in the outdoors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.