Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What if Foles lays an egg?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Does it change the way you view him as a prospect? Or our plans this offseason?

At this point, I'm convinced that Foles is going to have an elite career. At least as long as he's playing in Chip's offense. The season he has had is beyond comprehension and the body of work is large enough that I don't think it's a fluke.

With that said, this is an "intestinal fortitude" type game. We have no business losing and it would be pretty disappointing to see him have a dud on Sunday night. Beyond the obvious season-ending reasons.

How will you guys feel?
Jax
What if McCoy has 4 fumbles? What if Peters gives up 5 sacks? What is Jackson has 6 drops? What if Ryans has 7 missed tackles? What is Williams gets burned for 8 catches?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Jax @ Dec 26 2013, 02:08 PM) *
What if McCoy has 4 fumbles?What if Peters gives up 5 sacks? What is Jackson has 6 drops? What if Ryans has 7 missed tackles? What is Williams gets burned for 8 catches?

I'd say that few of those things are likely to happen, except the Williams one.

The difference being that Foles is a second-year, still unproven commodity. We know what those other guys bring to the table. And the nature of their positions don't necessarily facilitate choking the way the QB does.

I'm not trying to incite any riots around here. It's a genuine question.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 26 2013, 01:02 PM) *
Does it change the way you view him as a prospect? Or our plans this offseason?

At this point, I'm convinced that Foles is going to have an elite career. At least as long as he's playing in Chip's offense. The season he has had is beyond comprehension and the body of work is large enough that I don't think it's a fluke.

With that said, this is an "intestinal fortitude" type game. We have no business losing and it would be pretty disappointing to see him have a dud on Sunday night. Beyond the obvious season-ending reasons.

How will you guys feel?

Regardless of the outcome I like our future with Foles. If he lays an egg, It could be that Dallas has his number. Some teams just have the answer for a QB, even a quasi-elite QB.

What I would like to see is for him to battle through a stinker. During that game there will be a game defining drive for the win (like Cam N. at the end of the Saints game or FG Brady earlier in his career).
Dreagon
Dude! Our defense is decimated beyond all reason! The majority of our defensive linemen are off the street. We don't have a starting linebacker left! Not one! We don't have an injury report, we've got a casualty count! And that's just our defense.

Tim Tebow could throw 400 yards against this bunch...and probably run 800.

I think Foles will be fine.

The only mystery about this game is going to be if Orton is going to be able to rise to the occasion and keep things close. This game should be a footrace, and honestly, I think our only chance is going to be to try and sit on the ball as long as possible to slow things down...and that's only gong to be marginally effective
make_it_rain
It certainly won't change my mind about what the offseason plans are. That ship has sailed long ago. Foles could completely whiff in this Sunday's game and he's still the best option for next year by default and due to drafting realities.

I'm still not convinced Foles is or will evolve into an "elite" qb, but I think he's certainly proven that he's "good enough", and I don't think laying an egg in one (albeit huge) game will do much to change that perception.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Dec 26 2013, 04:02 PM) *
It certainly won't change my mind about what the offseason plans are. That ship has sailed long ago. Foles could completely whiff in this Sunday's game and he's still the best option for next year by default and due to drafting realities.

Yup. I listen to WIP for morbid pleasure, and 2/3 of fans agree. Most of the other 1/3 think he needs to win tomorrow or win a playoff game. And *sigh* <5% think he needs
to go to the NFCCG or to the Super Bowl. rolleyes.gif
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 26 2013, 01:12 PM) *
I'd say that few of those things are likely to happen, except the Williams one.

The difference being that Foles is a second-year, still unproven commodity. We know what those other guys bring to the table. And the nature of their positions don't necessarily facilitate choking the way the QB does.

I'm not trying to incite any riots around here. It's a genuine question.

My point is that it is a "what if." Shit, let's be positive and deal in reality rather than worrying about what if this or what if that. Hasn't the Foles future discussion been ad nauseum already? Do we need some what if scenario to spark further bullshit? Could we discuss whether Demarco Murray could possibly run for 150 and control the game? Could we discuss whether Orton might be able to pull a Matt Cassell? Sorry bro, I guess I should just ignore and keep my mouth closed but I had to reply.

What if Chip Kelly lays another egg against Dallas? What if huh?
bwc2112
What if a great light evolves at Jerry's beloved stadium so that God can watch his self imposed " Americas Team" Then says the resolution on the Jerrytron is off and Smites St. Romo for fame and profit over the love of the football Gods. Give me a break anybody can talk shit. GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!! And FUCK THE REST.
I said back when 10-6 only Sunday may prove me wrong. And they ain't got the ass!!
Don't believe me, sign off. 50 now and following the Eagles since I was 9 yrs old. And lived in Upstate New York to boot. been to Philly 3 times.( that pour Redskins fan)
Best fans and base out there, we stick to are team win, loose . or draw.
THIS MAKES US WHAT WE ARE!

WE ARE THE EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Jax @ Dec 26 2013, 05:48 PM) *
My point is that it is a "what if." Shit, let's be positive and deal in reality rather than worrying about what if this or what if that. Hasn't the Foles future discussion been ad nauseum already? Do we need some what if scenario to spark further bullshit? Could we discuss whether Demarco Murray could possibly run for 150 and control the game? Could we discuss whether Orton might be able to pull a Matt Cassell? Sorry bro, I guess I should just ignore and keep my mouth closed but I had to reply.

What if Chip Kelly lays another egg against Dallas? What if huh?

I mean, it's an Eagles message board and this place is pretty quiet despite it being 4 days before the biggest game of the season.
I agree that the Foles discussion has been had, but in general terms. What separates a good QB from elite is winning high stakes games. If he doesn't, it could change the way some view his long term viability.
Sure, we could talk about those other things, but they don't impact the most important player on our team and whether we think he can lead us to a Super Bowl. If he flames out on Sunday, it would certainly make me question his ability to thrive under pressure, because we know what he is capable of otherwise.
D Rock
I'm sold on Foles. What happens Sunday night will have no bearing on how I feel about his viability as our starter going forward.
Foles Cheesesteaks
I think there's a chance he lays an egg... but why should that change the fact that he's had a historic season; and should at least be the guy for the next few seasons?

To look at the other side of the coin; what does he have to do to be entrenched? What more could he have done? There is nothing in terms of this season. He's played near an MVP level.

He'll be the guy next year because of it - and I hope when he has a few bad games - because he will, nearly every QB does; my hope is that the organization stands behind him.

Give him the next two seasons and see what happens. We have a big time player here. I guess I didn't realize it until I read this article. Read the quotes from the talent evaulators:

http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2...oles_stock.html
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Foles Cheesesteaks @ Dec 26 2013, 07:27 PM) *
I think there's a chance he lays an egg... but why should that change the fact that he's had a historic season; and should at least be the guy for the next few seasons?

To look at the other side of the coin; what does he have to do to be entrenched? What more could he have done? There is nothing in terms of this season. He's played near an MVP level.

He'll be the guy next year because of it - and I hope when he has a few bad games - because he will, nearly every QB does; my hope is that the organization stands behind him.

Give him the next two seasons and see what happens. We have a big time player here. I guess I didn't realize it until I read this article. Read the quotes from the talent evaulators:

http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2...oles_stock.html

I tend to agree with you here. The only reason I'd be discouraged is because of the situation and Dallas' defense being so awful.
And lol at those scouts picking Stafford over Foles. Some people will never learn.
Zero
If he has another game like the first game it won't change much for me. I realized he didn't walk on water after his QB rating dropped below 128.

There are a couple of big things going for him besides his size and accuracy. He is a humble guy, very smart, a hard worker. No matter what else we can read, hear or say about him these qualities will keep him moving in the right direction. I read that after the last Dallas game he spent hours each day before the Oakland game working on his mechanics and foot work. I had the sense that HE did this, not the coaches asking it of him.

He moves around in the pocket well. Not that I'm a big Romo fan, but he does that very well and Foles seems to share that talent. I was often amazed at how well McNabb threw on the move and I was equally amazed at how Foles did that when he hit Cooper (?) in the end zone with tight coverage last week. His running ability is misleading. He ain't no speedster but he doesn't crawl either. He seems read defenses pretty well for a second year player and looks to have a knack for finding the right receiver.

Other offensive players have looked up to Vick as a hero but have moved seamlessly and willingly to support Foles. Nick doesn't look like much when your're watching him, but there's not a lot of mistakes. I'll bitch and whine if he has a clunker but after I settle down I'll be fine with him because he's got talent, character, leadership and humility.
HobbEs
What if's about a 2nd year QB who only started part of a season? Shit, what if he only gets better after an off season training program?

I'm not worried about what he does in Dallas this weekend.
Eyrie
The key for me is that Foles has rebounded from the first Dallas game to have a stellar season, so if he does play like Hoying/MikeMcMahon/Vick then it doesn't affect my view of him for next season. It would be different if he'd only had average numbers in the interim.

Conversely if Foles is 28 of 30 for 430 yards, 6TDs and no ints it still only means that he is the starter for 2014 but can lose that role with poor play in the first half dozen games of next season.
Foles Cheesesteaks
I've been following this game for a long time. I cannot for the life of me believe that our own fans aren't committed to Foles through at least next season.... Unreal. Who are you going to get who could have a higher ceiling, realistically?
JeeQ
I said I wouldn't be sold until the Dallas game and that hasn't changed. There'd be no excuse good enough for me to go 0-2 against this Dallas team... but with that said I do have the utmost confidence in Foles to win this game. I think he's ready. I think that last game against Dallas has been haunting him and he's ready to go out there and obliterate these guys. I'm ready for him to take us to the playoffs and beyond and jump on board the Foles Wagon for many years to come.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 27 2013, 02:25 PM) *
I said I wouldn't be sold until the Dallas game and that hasn't changed. There'd be no excuse good enough for me to go 0-2 against this Dallas team... but with that said I do have the utmost confidence in Foles to win this game. I think he's ready. I think that last game against Dallas has been haunting him and he's ready to go out there and obliterate these guys. I'm ready for him to take us to the playoffs and beyond and jump on board the Foles Wagon for many years to come.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. He's done everything (and more) possible to deserve the job moving forward. With that said, we have absolutely no business not winning this game.

I'm not convinced Foles isn't just a product of Chip's system at this point, but I really don't give a shit about that. It's the system he's playing in now and the foreseeable future.

Foles Cheesesteaks
This game will be tough and at best come right down until the end and its got little to do with Nick Foles.

Orton is a good QB in this situation - he is a wildcard with a great supporting cast and their line has been playing really well and will play well. I think Orton lights us up. If Cassel did it, then Orton absolutely can. Plus the entire betting world is on Philly bc it's so easy... Except this is the NFL and everyone is in for a huge surprise because our boys will be in for the fight of their lives.

Also the first game with a back up QB playing a lot of times sees the rest of the team sharp and playing 110%. I expect that the miscues around the Dallas squad on both sides of the ball to be at a minimum. And they're at home.

This will be our greatest test under Chip and it doesn't matter how well Foles plays. What I am suggesting is this is the perfect storm, and I have a bad bad feeling. Dig
This post up Monday please. I want so badly to be wrong.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Foles Cheesesteaks @ Dec 27 2013, 04:54 PM) *
This game will be tough and at best come right down until the end and its got little to do with Nick Foles.

I couldn't disagree with you more. If Foles plays the game he is capable of playing, this game shouldn't be close.

Orton is a good QB in this situation - he is a wildcard with a great supporting cast and their line has been playing really well and will play well. I think Orton lights us up. If Cassel did it, then Orton absolutely can. Plus the entire betting world is on Philly bc it's so easy... Except this is the NFL and everyone is in for a huge surprise because our boys will be in for the fight of their lives.

Orton and Cassel have some similarities, but implying that because Cassel did it, Orton will do the same is pretty presumptuous. Orton has thrown 5 balls in live games this year.

Our defense may not have been up for the Viking game, but I don't expect that to be the case on Sunday.

Also the first game with a back up QB playing a lot of times sees the rest of the team sharp and playing 110%. I expect that the miscues around the Dallas squad on both sides of the ball to be at a minimum. And they're at home.

This will be our greatest test under Chip and it doesn't matter how well Foles plays. What I am suggesting is this is the perfect storm, and I have a bad bad feeling. Dig
This post up Monday please. I want so badly to be wrong.

It's our biggest game, but I don't think it's our biggest test. The Dallas defense is terrible and without their best player (Lee) and possibly their second best (Ware.)

We should put 30-40 on the board, with ease. I don't think Orton will be able to keep up.
Foles Cheesesteaks
I guess I am just nervous about nothing.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 26 2013, 03:27 PM) *
Dude! Our defense is decimated beyond all reason! The majority of our defensive linemen are off the street. We don't have a starting linebacker left! Not one! We don't have an injury report, we've got a casualty count! And that's just our defense.

Tim Tebow could throw 400 yards against this bunch...and probably run 800.

I think Foles will be fine.

The only mystery about this game is going to be if Orton is going to be able to rise to the occasion and keep things close. This game should be a footrace, and honestly, I think our only chance is going to be to try and sit on the ball as long as possible to slow things down...and that's only gong to be marginally effective

The thing that surprised me looking at the Cowboys IR list was that it was not as bad as I thought listening to friends on mine who are Cowboys fans. I get Spencer even though I don't think he is special and Lee and Romo hurt now though I want Romo under center. Lee is the guy that I think really hurts and you can argue Romo but who are the other guys? You have a host of nobody DEs on IR and a couple of OL guys. They got rid of Radcliffe but who am I missing? Listening to my friends I was expecting a Pro Bowl list but it was more like a list of journeymen.

Am I missing something?

There are 10 guys on IR

Lance Dunbar Injured Reserve knee is on nobody
Brian Waters Injured Reserve triceps/knee/rib hard to say...great career but was he done before he arrived?
Ben Bass Injured Reserve shoulder nobody
Nate Livings Injured Reserve knee no idea, regular starting OL but never heard of him and no PBs
Ryan Cook Injured Reserve back not exactly stellar OL
Edgar Jones Injured Reserve groin nobody DE....does he even play?
Tyrone Crawford Injured Reserve Achilles Nobody DE....will update when he gets his first NFL sack
Matt Johnson Injured Reserve foot nobody.....no idea who this guy is but he has no stats
Anthony Spencer Injured Reserve knee has been out all season after week 1......certainly a loss
Justin Durant Injured Reserve hamstring not exactly a stud.....just a guy, easily replaced
Tony Romo Out back obvious
Sean Lee Out neck this hurts
Ernie Sims Doubtful groin please do not insult any Eagles fan by insinuating that this is a loss...

We lost Maclin and now Anderson, our best ST players. I see 3 big losses....1 has been gone all year......Spencer and Lee are the guys you miss....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.