Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Truly Amazes Me
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
1. How open our WR's are down field on our pass plays.

2. How big the holes are that our RB's are running thru.

I never remember any offense, ever in the NFL, where the room to operate and offense seems so vast.

It's like We're playing on a field that's is ten yards wider.

I don't know why that is, X and O wise, but it is very impressive.
mcnabbulous
It's awesome. Every decision he makes offensively is designed to stretch the field's width. He's the best offensive mind I've ever been witness to. Just the simple idea of going spread at the goaline instead of packing everyone in tight makes so much sense.

I dedicated a post to this months back, but kudos again to Howie, who was instrumental in bringing him to Philly. We're lucky to have such a forward thinking organization.
Birdwatcher
I think it is because Chip sets the O depending on what D he is facing, always looking for the weak link, and as teams tightened up some things early on, he has found other ways to exploit those defenses. That is what I like about Chip, he is not wedded to any particular style, he is evolving the O in response to how opposing D's are attacking. This O has been growing all season, and Foles has shown an amazing ability to read the D on the field and find the right option to pursue. I really believe these two were meant for each other, Foles is smart and careful, able to execute Chip's plan.

I expect both of them to bring their A game this Sunday, and as long as the D stays focused, I think we can embarrass the boys on their home field...Romo or Orton makes no difference.
samaroo
Birdwatcher, you just said something i hadn't really thought of. Historically, the D has adjusted each week to the O they're facing. Chip totally reverses that. That in itself is pretty interesting, IMO.
Zero
QUOTE (samaroo @ Dec 24 2013, 02:07 PM) *
Birdwatcher, you just said something i hadn't really thought of. Historically, the D has adjusted each week to the O they're facing. Chip totally reverses that. That in itself is pretty interesting, IMO.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the basis of his offense and why he needs a smart QB. For each formation there's a range of options for the play, the QB reads the defense and decides what to do and even that evolves in the first seconds of the play as the defense begins to react. Everyone really needs to be on their toes all the time.
samaroo
Z, you're totally right, but i meant more along the lines of the O actually significantly altering the gameplan on a weekly basis based on the upcoming D. I know it always happens to some extent, but usually it's the D that adjusts to the O. Just another Chrinkle (Chip+wrinkle), i guess.
mcnabbulous
New all-22 read about some of the concepts that make our offense so good. Specifically how we're stretching the defenses horizontally and also the use of the split zone play.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2013/12/...rinciples-work/
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 24 2013, 04:42 PM) *
New all-22 read about some of the concepts that make our offense so good. Specifically how we're stretching the defenses horizontally and also the use of the split zone play.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2013/12/...rinciples-work/

Those holes are so wide open.

Thanks for the info. A good read.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2013, 07:12 PM) *
Those holes are so wide open.

Thanks for the info. A good read.

I've never seen such effective blocking schemes, especially when they get to the second level...wow!
The TEs have been great, but our WRs are just as impressive when we are running, they try and lock up every defender in amazing ways. The picks they use on crossing routes to hamper the trailing defender are really fun to watch, exemplified by the play where Celek and Cooper low fived as they passed each other in the End zone, like they knew a TD was coming.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 24 2013, 08:55 PM) *
I've never seen such effective blocking schemes, especially when they get to the second level...wow!
The TEs have been great, but our WRs are just as impressive when we are running, they try and lock up every defender in amazing ways. The picks they use on crossing routes to hamper the trailing defender are really fun to watch, exemplified by the play where Celek and Cooper low fived as they passed each other in the End zone, like they knew a TD was coming.

Cooper and Celek, Kelce and Peters are two great pairs of examples of that. The are just deadly with their blocking skills, just deadly !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still seeing that unbelievable sequence that Z and I talked about where Polk missed a block, fell to the ground but got up and shoved the eventual tackler downfield at least 10 yard and then turned around and simply destroyed another DB. I mean cole-cocked, bent him in two, and knocked him on his ass.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Dec 24 2013, 09:49 PM) *
Cooper and Celek, Kelce and Peters are two great pairs of examples of that. The are just deadly with their blocking skills, just deadly !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still seeing that unbelievable sequence that Z and I talked about where Polk missed a block, fell to the ground but got up and shoved the eventual tackler downfield at least 10 yard and then turned around and simply destroyed another DB. I mean cole-cocked, bent him in two, and knocked him on his ass.

Asked about his decision to play the starters in this game, Kelly had the following to say.

"Very simply. We're from Philadelphia and we fight. That's it. If there's a game on, we're playing, end of story. All this stuff with backing in, not worry about things. I have no idea. So many different scenarios, could have been a tie. What if there's a tie when we go play Dallas next week and we gave a game away last week. If we are going to lineup and kickoff, and you tell us what time to show up and we will be there."
Eyrie
One other factor is the speed at which the offense works. Snapping the ball after 25 seconds rather than 40 seconds reduces not only the time that the defence has to catch its breath or make substitutions, but more importantly the time that it has to re-organise and recognise what may be coming. That makes it harder for the defence to disguise its intentions and easier for our QB to identify what they're up to. Combine that with the way that we run a dozen different plays from the same look and when everything clicks our offense is unstoppable.

I'm enjoying being an Eagles fan again. Next year all three units will have a year's experience in the new systems (especially the defence which is now coming to grips with the 3-4) - it's going to be a good year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.