Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well holy shit - Tony Romo out for the season
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Cowboys QB Tony Romo has been ruled out the rest of the season due to his back injury, per league source.
TGryn
Their backup is Kyle Orton, who is a pretty good QB in his own right. It's not like we're going to be facing a wet-behind-the-ears rookie making his first start.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/pos...e-of-kyle-orton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Orton
http://www.nfl.com/player/kyleorton/2506444/profile
JeeQ
No fucking way... Crazy part is I think I would've preferred Romo after seeing how well we do against backup QBs. Yes I'm looking at you Matt Cassel
mcnabbulous
Sure, but he's a game manager. Tony Romo, for all his flaws, can win games by himself.

If our offense comes to play on Sunday, it's all us.
Dreagon
And Jason Garrett's job is saved even if we lose sad.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 23 2013, 04:40 PM) *
And Jason Garrett's job is saved even if we lose sad.gif

I don't think so. The writing sounds like it is on the wall, even with a win and early playoff exit.
JeeQ
I just hope they haven't forgot about the Minnesota game. Do not let down. If we get Joe Webb'd for a 3rd time I swear...
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2013, 03:34 PM) *
Sure, but he's a game manager. Tony Romo, for all his flaws, can win games by himself.

This is true. Orton is solid, but there won't be the occasional miracle out of him. The only way I can see him causing you guys trouble is that Garrett might go for more balance and actually run the ball with him in there.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 23 2013, 05:45 PM) *
This is true. Orton is solid, but there won't be the occasional miracle out of him. The only way I can see him causing you guys trouble is that Garrett might go for more balance and actually run the ball with him in there.

I don't think that will matter. The Eagles are going to put up points on Sunday. My fear was that the Cowboys would just outscore them. I don't think they can do that with Orton.
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2013, 03:49 PM) *
I don't think that will matter. The Eagles are going to put up points on Sunday. My fear was that the Cowboys would just outscore them. I don't think they can do that with Orton.

True. A desperate Romo can throw a string of interceptions, or a string of touchdowns. Orton is Orton.
SpudDogg
I wonder how close he was to a career-ending injury. I get being tough, but continuing to play with a back injury...

Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not even Romo or Eli.
JeeQ
So the Cowboys are without their best offensive player (Romo), and their best defensive player (Lee). If we don't win Dallas deserves to win the Super Bowl
Eyrie
This is one injury scare we could do without.

Hope Romo is cleared to play against us.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 23 2013, 04:51 PM) *
True. A desperate Romo can throw a string of interceptions, or a string of touchdowns. Orton is Orton.

But there's film on Romo. The Eagles know how to prepare for Romo. Now there's just a huge question and an opportunity for surprise. Besides, Romocember is now off.
Dreagon
QUOTE (SpudDogg @ Dec 23 2013, 04:08 PM) *
I wonder how close he was to a career-ending injury. I get being tough, but continuing to play with a back injury...

Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not even Romo or Eli.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if that back hasn't been bothering him for a while. He had back surgery for a cyst last year, but they said that was unrelated. On the other hand, his deep ball has simply vanished this year. And most of the time he's tried it it's been underthrown. I understand he's thirty three now, but that ain't the same as forty three.
Chip Kelly
Should we lose on Sunday, Cowboys fans have an excuse. Lame.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2013, 04:22 PM) *
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Cowboys QB Tony Romo has been ruled out the rest of the season due to his back injury, per league source.

I'd much rather face Romo than Orton.
canadianeagle
I also thought it interesting that Dallas has no third string QB.
Dreagon
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Dec 23 2013, 06:41 PM) *
I also thought it interesting that Dallas has no third string QB.

We had one on the practice squad but Cleveland signed him a few weeks back.
Jax
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 23 2013, 04:42 PM) *
I just hope they haven't forgot about the Minnesota game. Do not let down. If we get Joe Webb'd for a 3rd time I swear...

Lol. Isn't that the truth!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 23 2013, 07:38 PM) *
I'd much rather face Romo than Orton.

Well, you're just as dumb as I suspected.
TGryn
Hmmm... I guess nothing is certain until they actually IR him:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/12/...ladelphia.html/

Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said after Sunday's 24-23 victory over Washington that Tony Romo's "little back issue" won't keep him from playing in the season finale against Philadelphia. "He's kind of getting some special treatment for it," Jones said. "But it was kind of going down his leg there a little bit."

Jones also wanted to clarify that Romo is not dealing with a back "injury."

"He just tightened up a little in the back," Jones said. "He had a little soreness last year. But I am not going to play doctor here. We think it will be OK. But it was a tightening. It wasn't a contusion. It was a little tightening there. But we will work on that all week. He really had a little of it in practice, to give you an idea, this past week. So just a little tightness there."

Jones said the back issue Romo is dealing with has nothing to do with the cyst the quarterback had removed from his back in March.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-co...-vs.-eagles.ece
"The facts are there is a lot we can't comment on," Jones said. "But the most important thing is if he feels better as the week goes along, there is nothing structurally to prevent him from playing. He might be cleared to play."
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2013, 11:11 PM) *
Well, you're just as dumb as I suspected.

I'll take that as a compliment coming from you. Any obscure articles from Abe Asher to help back up your stupid non-points lately?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 24 2013, 11:45 AM) *
I'll take that as a compliment coming from you. Any obscure articles from Abe Asher to help back up your stupid non-points lately?

You'd rather face one of the best QBs in football instead of an average journeyman. Fortunately, that kind of dumb requires no additional reference materials.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 24 2013, 10:57 AM) *
You'd rather face one of the best QBs in football instead of an average journeyman. Fortunately, that kind of dumb requires no additional reference materials.

Calling Romo one of the best QBs in football is a stupid enough statement in and of itself (no additional references required). Add to that his well-documented history of
collapsing under pressure, and putting him in the spotlight in a one-and-done on national tv Sunday night, and the fact that with him in there they run Murray less.

Now you have Orton, who is a solid veteran and game manager, with no pressure and no expectations. They will put the offense on Murray's back, and Orton is capable of
throwing downfield as well. It could be a case of Vikings syndrome.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 24 2013, 11:06 AM) *
Calling Romo one of the best QBs in football is a stupid enough statement in and of itself (no additional references required).

63.8% completion percentage
31 TDs
10 INTs
3800+ yards

What's funny is that Donovan, who you think is the only reason we ever won any games during the Reid tenure, had one season with stats comparable to that in his career.

But sure, you can have your game manager and see how that works going score for score against one of the best offenses in football.
D Rock
laugh.gif
nephillymike
Romo will play.

It's a smoke screen.

Jax
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2013, 12:25 PM) *
Romo will play.

It's a smoke screen.

Very possible
nephillymike
QUOTE (Jax @ Dec 24 2013, 01:22 PM) *
Very possible

Two Reasons

#1 If you have Dallas' horrible defense and you watch what our offense did to a team who kicked your ass a few weeks earlier, you need to come up with something.

#2. As someone with a degenerative disc problem which is significantly less painful than a herniation of a disc, there is no f'in way Romo throws the last few passes if he had a herniated disc that kicked in. No way.

They're reaching.

I hope Chip can smell the BS from here.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2013, 11:25 AM) *
Romo will play.

It's a smoke screen.

The Dallas Morning News reported he received an epidural shot for a herniated disk yesterday. It's a long shot, and a last resort before surgery. Right now, if I were forced to put money on it, I would say he isn't going to play.

(they are quoting unnamed sources so you can take that for what it is worth)
mcnabbulous
Even if he plays, how can he possibly be near 100%. At this point, they'd probably be better served playing a healthy Orton over Romo.
Zero
Just in case any of you is on the fence about this, IT DOESN'T MATTER!

Because it's Christmas eve I'll retrain myself and merely state that the Dallas Cowboys should have good locker room fun with one another wink.gif ... and a Merry Christmas. biggrin.gif
Flying Dutchman
Let's see, 3 - 5 sacks, 3 - 5 hits, 5 more hurries, inability to run, cut and avoid pressure in the pocket or on the run, greatly diminished arm strength if he tries to wind it up, oh yeah he has a real chance of hanging in there. In a body bag or on a gurney.
HOUSEoPAIN
63.8% completion percentage
31 TDs
10 INTs
3800+ yards

Awesome. If I need a QB in the 3rd round next year in my fantasy league, I'll draft him. Did Football Outsiders guide you to this argument?

What's funny is that Donovan, who you think is the only reason we ever won any games during the Reid tenure, had one season with stats comparable to that in his career.

Not just Donovan, JJ too remember. Romo has been a starter for almost a decade, and has a 1-3 playoff record, and is known for being a serial choker - and you're desperately
trying to grasp at straws about Donovan (as usual).

But what the hell do you know? If it was up to you, Andy would be throwing 50+ times this Sunday so we can try to improve to 5-11, thus giving a bunch of idiotic fans
justification for wanting to bring him back for another year. rolleyes.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 24 2013, 08:53 PM) *
Romo has been a starter for almost a decade, and has a 1-3 playoff record, and is known for being a serial choker - and you're desperately
trying to grasp at straws about Donovan (as usual).

Oh...I see. Your delusional hypocrisy is at an all-time high here. So when the Cowboys lose in the playoffs, it's because their QB is a serial choker. When the Eagles lost in the playoffs, it was because of an incompetent coach, not their QB's 65 QBR in playoff losses.

Gotcha.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.