Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles Sports Science program
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
The idea that a football team would be getting physically stronger as the season goes along seems counter-intuitive. The Eagles are 13 games into their campaign. Add training camp into the equation, and the grind has been going on for more than four months now. You would think the body would start wearing down right about now. Yet some players believe the opposite is happening in Year One under Chip Kelly.
Linc ...
mcnabbulous
The sports science stuff is what had me go from cautiously optimistic to full blown giddy about the Chip hire. I didn't know too much about him, beyond a high level knowledge of his success and the style of play at Oregon.

Upon learning about that, I realized his innovations ran much deeper than simple play calling.
Rick
Being someone who has competed at various sports and has lifted weights (seriously) for over 20 years, I've become a student of these concepts. I'm sure a lot of what they're teaching is nutrition. A lot of what we've been conditioned to believe about nutrition just isn't true. There are many things which can help refill the gas tank much faster than one might think.

You're starting to see a lot of this sort of thing in a lot of sports on a lot of teams now. Unfortunately, food science is still not very well-understood but they're starting to understand some things and people are starting to put this knowledge to good use.

Great to see.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 13 2013, 06:51 AM) *
Being someone who has competed at various sports and has lifted weights (seriously) for over 20 years, I've become a student of these concepts. I'm sure a lot of what they're teaching is nutrition. A lot of what we've been conditioned to believe about nutrition just isn't true. There are many things which can help refill the gas tank much faster than one might think.

You're starting to see a lot of this sort of thing in a lot of sports on a lot of teams now. Unfortunately, food science is still not very well-understood but they're starting to understand some things and people are starting to put this knowledge to good use.

Great to see.

As an aging, 72 yr. old powerlifter, I find my training principles, application frequency/intensity, nutrition, supplementation and rest are all absolutely necessary components to keep me feeling 20-30 years younger than I am. Individual athletes have applied the same to improve their performance and extend their careers. Chip has really impressed me with the way he has made it part of the Eagles philosophy and convinced his guys to buy in. It not only has major impact on this season but will prove IMHO to be even more important with each year and each extended career that flourishes because of it.
Rick
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Dec 14 2013, 05:51 PM) *
As an aging, 72 yr. old powerlifter, I find my training principles, application frequency/intensity, nutrition, supplementation and rest are all absolutely necessary components to keep me feeling 20-30 years younger than I am. Individual athletes have applied the same to improve their performance and extend their careers. Chip has really impressed me with the way he has made it part of the Eagles philosophy and convinced his guys to buy in. It not only has major impact on this season but will prove IMHO to be even more important with each year and each extended career that flourishes because of it.

Very well-said. While i'm not at your age (I'm 44) I have certainly felt the years creep up behind me to try and pull me down. I've been getting better with my nutrition (overall) but have a long way to go. I have absolutely had to change the way I work out as I'v gotten older.

I have been learning more and more about the nutrition side of the equation and have really started to understand just how important it is. Yes, we all know it's important but most of us don't know just how important it is.

It is quite impressive to see how they (the Eagles) have bought into the whole philosophy so quickly. If they continue to win, it will only get better and better players will want to come play for him.

I'll admit I was a little skeptical when they hired Chip. Not that I thought he was a bad coach but I wanted someone with NFL experience and a more defensive mind. I also must admit I've come to realize just how good he can be and how much he's done to turn a franchise which was spiraling out of control around so quickly. That is truly amazing.

I don't know how this will all end up but, I can understand why they hired him. Time will tell if this all works out in the long run but I'm feeling much better about things working out well than I was when the season started.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 14 2013, 07:29 PM) *
Very well-said. While i'm not at your age (I'm 44) I have certainly felt the years creep up behind me to try and pull me down. I've been getting better with my nutrition (overall) but have a long way to go. I have absolutely had to change the way I work out as I'v gotten older.

I have been learning more and more about the nutrition side of the equation and have really started to understand just how important it is. Yes, we all know it's important but most of us don't know just how important it is.

It is quite impressive to see how they (the Eagles) have bought into the whole philosophy so quickly. If they continue to win, it will only get better and better players will want to come play for him.

I'll admit I was a little skeptical when they hired Chip. Not that I thought he was a bad coach but I wanted someone with NFL experience and a more defensive mind. I also must admit I've come to realize just how good he can be and how much he's done to turn a franchise which was spiraling out of control around so quickly. That is truly amazing.

I don't know how this will all end up but, I can understand why they hired him. Time will tell if this all works out in the long run but I'm feeling much better about things working out well than I was when the season started.

While I obviously didn't think our franchise was in such a dire situation, Chip's attention to nutrition is something that I'm sure will impact the league immediately. I've dabbled with the Paleo thing and it dramatically impacted my performance athletically. I can imagine that the stuff the Eagles are doing is monumentally beneficial.
koolaidluke
My personal experience with nutrition is that is doesn't really make a difference. I perform/feel more or less the same whether I'm eating healthy or weather I'm eating total junk. Paul Anderson, who to this day has the world record in the raw squat for a drug free lifter would regularly drink an entire 3 liter bottle of soda a day.

It sounds like players have been using these types of recovery methods for a long time but Chip has managed to get his entire team to apply them.
Rick
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Dec 16 2013, 06:04 AM) *
My personal experience with nutrition is that is doesn't really make a difference. I perform/feel more or less the same whether I'm eating healthy or weather I'm eating total junk. Paul Anderson, who to this day has the world record in the raw squat for a drug free lifter would regularly drink an entire 3 liter bottle of soda a day.

It sounds like players have been using these types of recovery methods for a long time but Chip has managed to get his entire team to apply them.

So I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying nutrition makes no difference?
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 16 2013, 06:48 AM) *
So I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying nutrition makes no difference?

No, absolutely not. I'm saying that for me personally I've ever noticed a difference in how I feel. I am not a pro athlete though regularly getting my brains beat out on a weekly basis so I am not much of a yardstick.

But while we are on the subject, Chip has made changes beyond nutrition. He has also put a huge emphasis on sleep and recovery aids, and I wouldn't be surprised if that made more of a difference than the nutrition. Remember that Andy ran very physical practices whereas Chip avoids them and that also could be a factor helping the Eagles players stay fresh.

Obviously your muscles and bones need enough nutrients, but I'm not convinced that a couple of candy bars or cans of soda are going to get you injured, unless you are eating them instead of what you should be eating, as opposed to in addition to.
Rick
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Dec 16 2013, 07:50 AM) *
No, absolutely not. I'm saying that for me personally I've ever noticed a difference in how I feel. I am not a pro athlete though regularly getting my brains beat out on a weekly basis so I am not much of a yardstick.

But while we are on the subject, Chip has made changes beyond nutrition. He has also put a huge emphasis on sleep and recovery aids, and I wouldn't be surprised if that made more of a difference than the nutrition. Remember that Andy ran very physical practices whereas Chip avoids them and that also could be a factor helping the Eagles players stay fresh.

Obviously your muscles and bones need enough nutrients, but I'm not convinced that a couple of candy bars or cans of soda are going to get you injured, unless you are eating them instead of what you should be eating, as opposed to in addition to.

Well, the couple of candy bars and soda isn't going to get you injured, however, it will do a lot of other bad things to your insides. Certain nutrients won't be absorbed/used properly by your body, toxins will build up in your system and (eventually) cause a problem elsewhere and many other things. Not being a professional athlete, has nothing to do with it, however, professional athletes (many times) are more in tuned with their bodies. So they notice the things good nutrition does for you.

I'm not a professional athlete but I am very in tuned with my body. I went to Costa Rica for a week earlier this year. Ate VERY cleanly down there--just not as much junk available. I can tell you--without a doubt--I felt a LOT better.

Nutrition is a much bigger deal than people think it is. When we're young, we can get away with bad nutrition, it catches up to us when we're older. However, good nutrition at a young age makes big difference in performance. Been proven time and time again.

And I absolutely agree proper rest makes a HUGE difference as well. Kudos to them for doing that properly as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.